New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld Thread XI: Finally, it's HAMMER-TIME!

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Team GK really seems to be lucking out in their tower personalities.
    Remember, these towers were created by Big Think, who was intensely hostile to Charlie. It's not a surprise that their personalities would generally favor GK and hurt Charlie's goals.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Remember, these towers were created by Big Think, who was intensely hostile to Charlie. It's not a surprise that their personalities would generally favor GK and hurt Charlie's goals.
    Maybe, but they were also introduced with a stated goal of leveling the playing field and stopping the cheating.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't care about the update. It's just another way to use the towers to solve the problem. The current problem being that Maria wants Wanda to join Faq, but she can't make it happen, because she's been jailed.

I had honestly thought that this was not going to happen, but now I'm less sure. There certainly seems to be a set up of getting Wanda to join. So now it will be three sides, each with an Arkentool. *rolls eyes*

Meanwhile, the war that GK is facing against the Crown Coalition is not done, nor is the war that TV is facing done. So many plot threads in the air. Would be nice if we could pair down a bit...
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2018-10-29 at 12:12 AM.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Three sides with an arkentool was predictable.

The way that it came about was ...

Book 4 is just a loss.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

5. - Top - End - #335

Didn't seem obvious to me.

I mean, the arkenhammer barely counts as an arkentool when compared to the others.

Unlimited decrypted troops, unlimited thinkamancy, or the ability to tame some dwagons, which anyone can do with a little food?

Stanly can also do some lighting too, I guess, not really all that great compared to zap guns and machine guns though.

Other than that? Hmmm. Hmmm. Even the arkenshoes are more interesting, since they let you teleport, and gives unlimited move. While there are no known direct combat benefits, at least the base powers aren't something that can be replicated by others.

There's been FOUR books, and Stanley has had his Tool for awhile before that and there's been nothing.

The whole thing is basically two arkentools, and it's especially dangerous because Wanda can probably force decrypted troops to join her. Probably needs to be in the same hex though, at least, she does without a thinkamancy link.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2018-10-30 at 01:47 PM.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Troll in the Playground

I think you're over simplifying and underselling the taming of dwagons. given how powerfull they are as units, I doubt it's as simple as 'anyone with a little food can do it' and ithe instantaenous way it works.

But I agree that arkhenhammer seems underpowered from what we've seen it do compared to the others.

Main word being SEEMS. To be fair, who say that, the lightning and the taming are it's only capacity ? Stanley himself says at some point that he doesn't know all it's capacities and he discovers some new ones once in a while (like the wallnuts into pigeon for example)
    Ansom (who admitedly wasn't attuned) had the arkhenpliers in book 1 and it it could do in it's hands was to deal good damage to uncroaked. Wanda is not only atuned to them but ALSO a master croakamancer. Charlie is not a thinkamancer but he is certainely a near genius, he was a carny and he had shown ma,ny interest in other disciplines before (as revelaed in peace through superior firepower) akso he had years and yearss to unlock it's secret.

The arkhenhammer may not be so much underpowered compared to other arkhentool so much has being underused because in the hand of a non caster. And an idiot with little imagination or curiosity.
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2018-10-30 at 08:51 PM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

7. - Top - End - #337
    Banned

I think you've all also forgotten that it can turn nuts into pigeons. Surely this will be tactically important at some point.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I think you've all also forgotten that it can turn nuts into pigeons. Surely this will be tactically important at some point.
    It also rocks out, which is presumably a big bonus (if used) to dance fighting.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    It also rocks out, which is presumably a big bonus (if used) to dance fighting.
    It also gives some limited flying to the wielder, which is quite useful when you consider all the times in Erfworld that characters fell from flying mounts and got croaked/crippled.

So the arkenhammer may not have a single uber effect, but has a variety of effects for multiple situations. Need an army? Can tame dwagons fast and easy. Need to lead in battle? ROCK ON! Need to personally fight? THUNDER AND LIGHTING! Fell off your flying mount? You can still reach the sky!

Even the nuts to pigeons may be useful since if bats can be buffed up to heavy level, then a flock of rocking pigeons may be a force to reckon with.

Meanwhile Arkenpliers aren't that hot when you don't have any bodies to decrypt and the arkendish may be fantastic for big picture logisticts but is outright useless in a direct fight outside of unlimited thinkgram works to annoy a single unit, plus archons don't just pop in the wild for you to tame so you're limited to recruiting them quite slowly.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2018-10-30 at 09:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

10. - Top - End - #340
    Banned

I think the nuts to pigeons thing is more just to indicate that Stanley doesn't understand his Tool, and it probably has more uses than he knows of.

Meanwhile Arkenpliers aren't that hot when you don't have any bodies to decrypt and the arkendish may be fantastic for big picture logisticts but is outright useless in a direct fight outside of unlimited thinkmancy works to annoy a single unit.
    The pliers are a good melee weapon, and the Dish lets Charlie pop Archons which are probably the most powerful unit we've seen in the game. In overall terms of power I'd say Pliers>Dish>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hammer given what we've seen so far. Not sure where the slippers rank, and I don't really care since they're not in the story at all so far.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2018-10-30 at 09:24 PM.

11. - Top - End - #341

BlackDragon

Thor's hammer?

We see Thor using Mejinor (however it's spelled) to fly, control lightning, etc.

Impressive dance fighting / leading an army? Straight out of norse mythology as I understand it.

Nuts to birds? ... Well, it's flight-theme.

Hmm.

Personal flight.
    Tame fliers.
    Turn things into fliers.

... Rock-on and dance fighting seems the oddball.
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

The pliers are a good melee weapon, and the Dish lets Charlie pop Archons which are probably the most powerful unit we've seen in the game.
    Thing is, as I pointed out in my edit, you can only get archons from popping, and although I agree they may just be the most imba unit in Erfworld, they're still far from invincible and still go down when outnumbered enough or caught in a trap. Dwagons meanwhile literally grow on trees so one can replenish them a lot faster than one can replenish croaked archons.

The pliers aren't too shabby in melee, but the arkenhammer is in a completely different level combat-wise. Wanda did taste the floor in battle despite the pliers, while Stanley can fly into an ambush and then just rock out alive thanks to the arkenhammer.
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

13. - Top - End - #343
    Banned

Thing is, as I pointed out in my edit, you can only get archons from popping, and although I agree they may just be the most imba unit in Erfworld, they're still far from invincible and still go down when outnumbered enough or caught in a trap. Dwagons meanwhile literally grow on trees so one can replenish them a lot faster than one can replenish croaked archons.

The pliers aren't too shabby in melee, but the arkenhammer is in a completely different level combat-wise. Wanda did taste the floor in battle despite the pliers, while Stanley can fly into an ambush and then just rock out alive thanks to the arkenhammer.
    Well, I don't necessarily disagree with any of that, but an artifact that requires you to risk your ruler and the artifact itself on the front lines to be fully effective is still garbage.

14. - Top - End - #344

Quote Originally Posted by smuchmuch View Post

Main word being SEEMS. To be fair, who say that, the lightning and the taming are it's only capacity ? Stanley himself says at some point that he doesn't know all it's capacities and he discovers some new ones once in a while (like the wallnuts into pigeon for example)
    That was part of my argument though. It's been FOUR books, and Stanley had the hammer for awhile before that. It's really annoying that there has been 0% progression with it so far, assuming there is more to learn, when the other two Tools have gotten such broken powers.

There is nothing that the Hammer has done that's really impressed me like the other tools have, and, IF Wanda is going to jump to another side, the story could at least wait until we got some new powers forming. Especially when the entire decrypted force might join her.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2018-10-30 at 10:41 PM.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I don't necessarily disagree with any of that, but an artifact that requires you to risk your ruler and the artifact itself on the front lines to be fully effective is still garbage.
    By that standards, the pliers are also most effective in the frontlines where there's plenty of fresh corpses.

Plus nobody said the arkenhammer needs to be attunned to your ruler. If anything, Stanley started his dwagon fleet farming when he was but a simple Warlord.

And if anything we've seen sooner or later every ruler in Erfworld ends up staring at the wrong end of a weapon, even super-paranoid Charlie in his fortress almost got shot down by a prisioner, so if anything a ruler being able to fight their way out of an ambush is a pretty nice thing to have.

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    That was part of my argument though. It's been FOUR books, and Stanley had the hammer for awhile before that. It's really annoying that there has been 0% progression with it so far, assuming there is more to learn, when the other two Tools have gotten such broken powers.

There is nothing that the Hammer has done that's really impressed me like the other tools have, and, IF Wanda is going to jump to another side, the story could at least wait until we got some new powers forming. Especially when the entire decrypted force might join her.
    I would actually say this would be the best time to awaken the arkenhammer's hidden powers.

Because before GK was the only side with two arkentools. Wanda with her decrypted army plus a dwagon fleet backing her up already was plenty OP. A good chunk of the story was finding ways to get the Wanda+pliers combo out of the picture. GK didn't really need another massive power upgrade. There was that time Charlie was revealed to have guns, but those were looted and now like half the main sides have guns of their own.

But if now Wanda now joins another side and takes the pliers with her, I believe it's just the perfect time for Stanley and Hamster to get started with HAMMER TIME BABY!

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

The Arkenhammer is very, very strong, but they are weaker than the other tools since its not a true gamebreaker. The hammer's ability to tame dwagons is pretty OP. With a 1/200 chance to find a dwagon you can get 10 dwagons a turn by farming 2000 hexes. That is the production capacity of 40 cities. With such an capability you don't need any kind of tactics. You just wait 4 turns, collect 4 dwagons, pop a warlord and send them to destroy anything in their way. Even if they get wiped out by the enemy they will do so much damage that the next wave of dwagons will bring them down. And if you combine that with the fighting abilities of the hammer and the various bonuses you can get an nigh unstoppable force.

Problem is, the Arkenhammer is subject to a lot of limitations. The army it can create is still limited by the income of the site. So either you only collect dwagons when you need them, or you aggressively raid neighbours to raze their cities or even get their treasures. It seems Saline IV an Stanley chose the latter and made a lot of enemies. And the wielder of the Arkenhammer needs to be in battle to get the maximum utility, adding a certain risk to its use. The Arkenpliers only need to be close to the front and can decrypt bodies after a successful battle. The wielder of the Arkendish can just stay at home. And the Arkenpliers completely negate one fundamental limiting game mechanic, upkeep for units.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welf View Post
    Problem is, the Arkenhammer is subject to a lot of limitations. The army it can create is still limited by the income of the site. So either you only collect dwagons when you need them, or you aggressively raid neighbours to raze their cities or even get their treasures. It seems Saline IV an Stanley chose the latter and made a lot of enemies. And the wielder of the Arkenhammer needs to be in battle to get the maximum utility, adding a certain risk to its use. The Arkenpliers only need to be close to the front and can decrypt bodies after a successful battle.
    Decrypting units during the battle is plainly more efficient than ressurecting them after the battle, since the decrypted get to fight right away and help your other units. Otherwise you may actually risk losing the battle and thus all the corpses. That's how GK snowballed so fast after book 1 and Wanda was deployed at the vanguard every time, the pliers made her best at the frontlines.

Then there's the bit that pliers give a combat bonus to nearby decrypted, and also makes them more loyal. Like decrypted Ossomer even managed to actually turn back to Jetstone after Wanda ran to the magic kingdom, taking the pliers away from him!

The wielder of the Arkendish can just stay at home. And the Arkenpliers completely negate one fundamental limiting game mechanic, upkeep for units.
    I strongly believe that the Arkenhammer actually allows one to skip dwagon upkeep.

The one time we've seen a dwagon tamed, it needed food, a lot of food actually (multiple high elf corpses), and one could assume normally a dwagon has a big apettite. That explains why other sides don't bother taming the heavy fliers with special breath weapons despite wild dwagons being everywhere, they eat too much to be worth the trouble.

However with the arkenhammer Stanley doesn't need to bribe the dwagons with food, he just waves it around and they become completely loyal to him.

Case in point in book 1 there's multiple hints pointing to that as well:
    -Ansom mentions that Stanley's dwagons would fight to the bitter end while he wields the arkenhammer even if he loses everything else.
    -When retreating from GK, Stanley takes only 3 of his elite soldiers, one mage... And every last dwagon. Why not get riders on all of them? Because he can only afford the upkeep of a few non-dwagon units while on the run, but he can afford literally all the dwagons.
    -After the failed Tee Vee Ambush, Caesar and Vinnie discuss how Stanley won't be able to pay his foolmancer upkeep once GK falls and he loses the treasury. But no mention of how Stanley would have any problem paying for the dozens of his remaining dwagons.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2018-10-31 at 05:35 AM.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Banned

Sure, but most people would probably be willing to lose a negligible amount of efficiency in exchange for not giving your side a giant glowing weak point. Especially since the Pliers are going to be very nearly as effective after the battle anyway. The hammer on the other hand seems much more combat oriented in its basic powers.

I've been under the impression that Stanley doesn't have to pay to turn dragons to his side, but he still has to pay upkeep on them. No idea where that came from though, so it's probably wrong.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure, but most people would probably be willing to lose a negligible amount of efficiency in exchange for not giving your side a giant glowing weak point. Especially since the Pliers are going to be very nearly as effective after the battle anyway. The hammer on the other hand seems much more combat oriented in its basic powers.
    The advantage gained by deploying pliers in battle it's the opposite of negligible, it can literally be the difference between your side being curbstomped in battle or you curbstomping them. It was half the basis of the food battle in book 2, they could just drop to the ground by dying and Wanda then got them back up. Turning your enemy casualities into your reinforcements in the mid of battle is a crazy OP advantage over only doing it after the battle is finished.

And again, GK themselves were throwing Wanda with the pliers at the frontlines in every battle. Even when the plan was doing a fly-by with dwagons at spacerock's tower, Wanda didn't stay behind. Nobody ever went "Hmm Wanda you should hang back and let the troops handle this first". It was always "Wanda with pliers up front all day every day".

20. - Top - End - #350
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by smuchmuch View Post
    The arkhenhammer may not be so much underpowered compared to other arkhentool so much has being underused because in the hand of a non caster. And an idiot with little imagination or curiosity.
    This is my take on it. I'm a bit disappointed that we haven't seen anything of Stanley trying to unlock more potential out of the hammer though. It was amusing watching how he bumbles into discovering the hammer's powers.

I think you've all also forgotten that it can turn nuts into pigeons.
    And one instance of turning an Orly into a walnut.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

21. - Top - End - #351

With a 1/200 chance to find a dwagon you can get 10 dwagons a turn by farming 2000 hexes. That is the production capacity of 40 cities. With such an capability you don't need any kind of tactics. You just wait 4 turns, collect 4 dwagons, pop a warlord and send them to destroy anything in their way. Even if they get wiped out by the enemy they will do so much damage that the next wave of dwagons will bring them down. And if you combine that with the fighting abilities of the hammer and the various bonuses you can get an nigh unstoppable force.
    That's a 1/200 chance for a Minty Mountain hex. Stanley is nowhere NEAR the Minty Mountains anymore. Don't forget, location is the main limiter for gaining dwagon ferals. Different animals pop up in different locations.

Stanley also needs proper scouts to go over the areas, or a lookmancer. He lost the lookmancer and his scouts. He could use knights on dwagons instead, but they can't check for veiled units. Which means that Stanley would not be able to scout for more dwagons anyway, if he was at GK.

Even if there was 2000 hexes where the dragons pop up, that is a very long way away from the city, and Stanley can't be casually staying outside overnight, without a massive army to back him up. That would be absurd. Parson put down an estimate of 600-700 mountain hexes that were within range, hence the 2-3 dwagon average. It's still a fair amount, but hardly as powerful as you think.

Currently, however, to the best of my knowledge, Stanley hasn't collected a single dwagon since the all the archons got killed off. We can talk all day about how powerful his taming ability would be in theory, but at the current time, his dwagon taming ability is useless.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2018-10-31 at 07:09 AM.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

Stanley also needs proper scouts to go over the areas, or a lookmancer. He lost the lookmancer and his scouts. He could use knights on dwagons instead, but they can't check for veiled units. Which means that Stanley would not be able to scout for more dwagons anyway, if he was at GK.
    Hamster developed golem-scouts that can see through veils after book 2 with the help of Ace and the other casters, they've been taking care of GK's scouting duties.

Even if there was 2000 hexes where the dragons pop up, that is a very long way away from the city, and Stanley can't be casually staying outside overnight, without a massive army to back him up. That would be absurd.
    You remember that Stanley casually went outside on his own and stayed overnight with just the magnet elves, right?

Currently, however, to the best of my knowledge, Stanley hasn't collected a single dwagon since the all the archons got killed off. His dwagon taming ability has been useless. [/FONT]
    I assume it may've been paused after losing archons but resumed with the scout golems and is going on in the background like most other logistics. We also didn't hear about what GK's cities are popping either, but they're certainly popping something.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

And again, GK themselves were throwing Wanda with the pliers at the frontlines in every battle. Even when the plan was doing a fly-by with dwagons at spacerock's tower, Wanda didn't stay behind. Nobody ever went "Hmm Wanda you should hang back and let the troops handle this first". It was always "Wanda with pliers up front all day every day".
    Part of that was, as Parson noted, that Wanda is "crazy", that is, believes Fate will protect her and thus she can't die.
    And the Chief Warlord during that time was Ansom, who both as decrypted and as his own personality was pretty keen on following her wishes.

But I do agree, while the Pliers and Wanda being risked is a big risk, it is pretty nice to decrypt enemy troops in the middle of a fight. And she gave a big bonus to the decrypted with her. So, all in all, having her lead the fight had some sense.

24. - Top - End - #354

#
    -When retreating from GK, Stanley takes only 3 of his elite soldiers, one mage... And every last dwagon. Why not get riders on all of them? Because he can only afford the upkeep of a few non-dwagon units while on the run, but he can afford literally all the dwagons.
    -After the failed Tee Vee Ambush, Caesar and Vinnie discuss how Stanley won't be able to pay his foolmancer upkeep once GK falls and he loses the treasury. But no mention of how Stanley would have any problem paying for the dozens of his remaining dwagons.
    In both cases he could be just planning to let the dwagons depop as he runs out of upkeep for them.
    Maybe having a rider reduces a dwagons Move thus diminishing his flexibility.
    Maybe humanoids are harder to veil then dwagons.
    Or maybe the dwagons can forage for most of their upkeep while humanoids can't.
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

25. - Top - End - #355
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

"The error is to be human"

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

The walnuts to pigeons hint at alchemy power of transformation. Hit some rocks a day and you've got free food and maybe troops forever.

27. - Top - End - #357

RedWizardGuy

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JavaScribe View Post
    This update is pointless. It feels like filler to get something on the homepage. The only new information is the order to rush the new queen. Another point that should have been revolved as part of the main story, not in an epilogue. Book 4 is just paced badly in every respect. It cuts off in the middle of a scene that takes way too long and resolves and initiates plot developments in the epilogue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

29. - Top - End - #359
    Dwarf in the Playground

This update is pointless. It feels like filler to get something on the homepage. The only new information is the order to rush the new queen. Another point that should have been revolved as part of the main story, not in an epilogue. Book 4 is just paced badly in every respect. It cuts off in the middle of a scene that takes way too long and resolves and initiates plot developments in the epilogue.
    I wouldn't go quite that far, we also learned that Charlie is being allowed to garden once more (meaning he lives and will soon stop dreaming and start scheming) and that the original contract has been voided (some were speculating to the contrary). Still, that's three talking tower dominated epilogues and one talking artefact dominated epilogue to boot. Distinctly subpar.

I do wish they'd get around to Wanda, either establish the conditions under which she could be raised or the impossibility thereof(other considerations aside, I wouldn't be surprised if she responds to such attempts in a similar fashion to Lord Shojo). I just don't care about any of this nonsense with Transylvito beyond being irritated by their continued survival via authorial fiat, while the stuff with Marie hardly matters at this point.

30. - Top - End - #360

BlackDragon

Fan interpretation of old transilvito

https://imgur.com/gallery/XNm0JDW