New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1079
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld Thread XI: Finally, it's HAMMER-TIME!

Hmmm... would it be fair to say there's a difference between writing and storytelling?

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Hmmm... would it be fair to say there's a difference between writing and storytelling?
    Definitely. And writing itself can be sub-divided. This one reminds me that Rob isn't just about references and puns (we all had to fall in love with this strip in the first place for its' downfall to be so disheartening, and another puns and references comic wouldn't have done it), but dialogue. That, and characterization. Rob is good at those two things. He's just, since the end of book #1, not had another good hook about what plot to structure the dialogue and characters around. It's kind of like the last episode of Seinfeld, or the Quentin Tarantino movies that bombed -- same skill as the thing we fell in love with, just misapplied.
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2019-08-27 at 07:56 AM.

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Ogre in the Playground

It is depressing to read that comic from the link. To see good art and a story line just reminds me what we have lost. 9 years later and we have a 28+ pages prologue that devolves into writing studio and drawing lessons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Welf View Post
    It is depressing to read that comic from the link. To see good art and a story line just reminds me what we have lost. 9 years later and we have a 28+ pages prologue that devolves into writing studio and drawing lessons.
    Oh it's even better. Those comics are about the last before Parson goes into the Magic Kingdom and stares at a portal for a year. In hindsight that kind of was the moment Erfworld lost momentum and got so very slow.

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Ogre in the Playground

I propose we name the next Erfworld Thread XII: He's dead Dave

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welf View Post
    I was wondering; at what point does it stop being a prologue and starts being an actual story in itself?

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    I propose we name the next Erfworld Thread XII: He's dead Dave
    I'm leaning towards Erfworld Thread XII: The Hammer was a lie

Or maybe

Erfworld Thread XII: Prolonged Prologuing
    Last edited by Morgaln; 2019-08-27 at 12:35 PM.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by McNum View Post
    Oh it's even better. Those comics are about the last before Parson goes into the Magic Kingdom and stares at a portal for a year. In hindsight that kind of was the moment Erfworld lost momentum and got so very slow.
    Someone should go back and figure out how many pages each "turn" has been.
    The Chaotic Evil Dungeon Master

8. - Top - End - #1028

RedWizardGuy

Little story, but we've got some... art I guess, apparently depicting what the Great Minds put in, what he was naturally born with, and what Noah's words are doing to it.

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JavaScribe View Post
    Little story, but we've got some... art I guess, apparently depicting what the Great Minds put in, what he was naturally born with, and what Noah's words are doing to it.
    I thought this one was a really cool way of showing the Tower's emotions linked to different Words/concepts. Gave some neat insights, especially about what its doubts and insecurities are.

Makes me wonder about other Towers. Do they also fear they might not be real or feel bad the Titans didn't make them? None of them have displayed those fears in their speech, but neither has Sugar.

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, no. Not gonna care about pun-based sentient architecture. Show me some side I'm invested in, instead of this lame Hippiemancer Island.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JavaScribe View Post
    More than anything else, I'm reminded of Sarah Zero.

I guess Balder decided that the words, too, would have to be rendered in 3D from now on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I am definitely not a fan of this update, to me it's corny and stupid.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateGuy

I checked out a while ago is it worth it to come back?
    Peelee's Lurker Lotsey Leader

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thelivingmonkey View Post
    I checked out a while ago is it worth it to come back?
    Hell no. Unless you enjoy **** CGI and crap story.

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    Hell no. Unless you enjoy **** CGI and crap story.
    Thanks lol
    Peelee's Lurker Lotsey Leader

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Ettin in the Playground

Looks like our first "full" comic since the whole 3d art change thing. If this was the first we'd seen of erfworld I'd give it a pass but compared to what it was with an actual artist its still really bad.

Also it sounds like we might actually get back to the plot. But my hopes aren't high. That would require modeling more than one character.
    The Chaotic Evil Dungeon Master

17. - Top - End - #1037

Not just one, but three whole comics have been released this month, and this is the first comment?

Man, interest is really dead right now, not that I'm any different, the last page I actually looked at, not read, just looked at was... prologue 20.

EDIT:
    Haa? What happened to my image. The watermark was annoying enough but now the image is blurred?
    *checks photobucket*
    What kind of restriction is this? I have a total of 28 pictures and that is TOO MUCH?
    Went down to 16. Maybe I could delete one or two more. Not sure how much bandwidth it takes up. Okay, the warning came back up and it says I'm still using 134 mb of space, that's a lie. What the hell is with this?
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2019-09-15 at 12:09 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Titan in the Playground

So.. well i read the recent 3 comics.
    Well it could perhaps be more interesting.
    But i still found it interesting enough to not regret reading.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tigerusthegreat View Post
    Looks like our first "full" comic since the whole 3d art change thing. If this was the first we'd seen of erfworld I'd give it a pass but compared to what it was with an actual artist its still really bad.
    Yeah the 3D parts just don't blend well together. It worked when it was used solely for the tools, but not outside that.

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    Not just one, but three whole comics have been released this month, and this is the first comment?
    I been waiting for the main cast to show up again. I feel this is way late in the story to be talking about new people.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Orc in the Playground

Kinda reminds me of the trajectory of Homestuck, except somehow even more disappointing. A strong start with a big, climactic end... and then it kept going, trailing off in quality and narrative momentum and fandom goodwill.

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HorizonWalker View Post
    Kinda reminds me of the trajectory of Homestuck, except somehow even more disappointing. A strong start with a big, climactic end... and then it kept going, trailing off in quality and narrative momentum and fandom goodwill.
    Did you read Homestuck's epilogues? They were pretty well-received.

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Troll in the Playground

To be honest, I stopped reading Homestuck during the big hiatus, so I am not familiar with later developments, but up to that point it was nowhere near as aimless as Erfworld has become. The number of characters grew rapidly, there was a lot of meandering and tangential subplots or just random unrelated stuff, but an overarching plot was always there - it was growing and changing heavily with time along with the world within the story, but a clear goal for the heroes was always there. Also, Hussie trolling his fanbase was kind of part of the charm, but this is unrelated.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Did you read Homestuck's epilogues? They were pretty well-received.
    Literally everyone I've spoken to about the epilogues hated them. I tried reading the epilogues too, and I also hated them.

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Went down to 16. Maybe I could delete one or two more. Not sure how much bandwidth it takes up. Okay, the warning came back up and it says I'm still using 134 mb of space, that's a lie. What the hell is with this?
    Are you sure it's talking about space? It might be referring to the amount of bandwidth you've used, which is likely to be quite high since you're using a Photobucket image as an avatar on a fairly popular forum.

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Ogre in the Playground

Technically they're 3 comics, but they're barely advancing the plot. Same scenery, same faces, same dialogue repeating "MUH SOFT POWER" over and over. In old Erfworld single page would've done more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

26. - Top - End - #1046

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Are you sure it's talking about space? It might be referring to the amount of bandwidth you've used, which is likely to be quite high since you're using a Photobucket image as an avatar on a fairly popular forum.
    Oh... Yes, you are right, it says bandwidth, and it went up to 141.27mb. Thank you for pointing that out.

Huh. I'm not sure what to do then. I wasn't aware that this was a thing I needed to worry about. I guess... I guess I'll remove the avatar? I need to know if this is where I'm losing all my bandwidth.

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh... Yes, you are right, it says bandwidth, and it went up to 141.27mb. Thank you for pointing that out.

Huh. I'm not sure what to do then. I wasn't aware that this was a thing I needed to worry about. I guess... I guess I'll remove the avatar? I need to know if this is where I'm losing all my bandwidth.
    Yeah, photobucket put stricter limits earlier this year. I had to move imagehosts for my avatar, and so did a lot of people around here.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Literally everyone I've spoken to about the epilogues hated them. I tried reading the epilogues too, and I also hated them.
    Wasn't that the point? I figured it was the author basically waving two extended digits at the audience saying "You want more Homestuck, huh? Not happy with a happy ending, huh? Someone needs to show you what happens when you extend a story beyond it's natural lifespan... actually, that sounds like fun."

As such, I hated the stories they told but I have to admit I found it an entertaining masterclass on trolling the insatiable appetites of a fandom. When a story has hit its true and well-earned end, just let the poor sucker rest, okay?
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Wasn't that the point? I figured it was the author basically waving two extended digits at the audience saying "You want more Homestuck, huh? Not happy with a happy ending, huh? Someone needs to show you what happens when you extend a story beyond it's natural lifespan... actually, that sounds like fun."

As such, I hated the stories they told but I have to admit I found it an entertaining masterclass on trolling the insatiable appetites of a fandom. When a story has hit its true and well-earned end, just let the poor sucker rest, okay?
    See, the issue is twofold.

One, bad on purpose is still bad. I don't care that it was "supposed" to be bad. Bad on purpose is just a deliberate waste of everyone's time.

Two, while Homestuck's ending, with Act 7 and all, was... a thing that existed, I would like to report that again, I and most everyone I've spoken to about it thought that Act 7 and the stuff immediately preceding it was a badly-written ending that didn't satisfy anyone who wanted, like, an actual ending to the story. Only Dave and Dirk got anything close to narrative resolution, and everyone else got to go hang. Homestuck didn't properly end; it merely stopped. That's why people wanted more- they didn't feel like the story was finished.
    Last edited by HorizonWalker; 2019-09-18 at 10:49 AM.

30. - Top - End - #1050

RedWizardGuy

New comic. There's not much, but its actually the most interesting there's been in a while.