New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Super Smash Bros: Ultimate - Living up to the subtitle.

Metaknight caused a lot of complaints in my playgroup back in Brawl, too. Mostly by tornado-spamming.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe a compromise? There's secret characters you can unlock in vs mode or the 1 player adventure, but then there's also an option in settings that just unlocks them as well. Maybe one for trophies as well - i like getting trophies as rewards for things, but sometimes i just want to read the lore on them.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Maybe a compromise? There's secret characters you can unlock in vs mode or the 1 player adventure, but then there's also an option in settings that just unlocks them as well. Maybe one for trophies as well - i like getting trophies as rewards for things, but sometimes i just want to read the lore on them.
    Would be nice, but I wouldn't bet on it ever happening.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Your impression of how heavily he's requested is higher than mine then. As well as your impression of Waluigi's - since when does he have a serious fanbase, as opposed to the occasional random troll who says they'd like him in?
    Waluigi still not being playable in Smash got its own entry in knowyourmeme and in other forums I hang around there were more people claiming to want him.

Spoiler
    Show

Granted it may not be the more scientific source, but there's plenty of artists throwing in with Waluigi which shows he has some degree of popularity.

I recall Riddley for Smash getting a lot of memes and comics back in the day too (a good chunk of them being Samus personally vetoing the monster that killed her parents).

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Waluigi still not being playable in Smash got its own entry in knowyourmeme and in other forums I hang around there were more people claiming to want him.

Spoiler
    Show

Granted it may not be the more scientific source, but there's plenty of artists throwing in with Waluigi which shows he has some degree of popularity.

I recall Riddley for Smash getting a lot of memes and comics back in the day too (a good chunk of them being Samus personally vetoing the monster that killed her parents).
    ...weird. The internet can truly be a baffling place...

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

So, randomly thinking about possible Echo characters they might be saving for future reveals, it occurred to me that practically every third-party character has an obvious option.

Sonic -> Shadow (Maybe Tails, except Sonic's up throw has him hitting people with his spikey back, which wouldn't translate great to Tails.)
    Mega Man -> Proto Man
    Pac-Man -> Mrs. Pac-Man
    Ryu -> Ken and/or Akuma
    Bayonetta -> Jeanne (And/or Rosa, but Jeanne's far more likely.)

I'm not familiar enough with Metal Gear to know who, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's an easy one out there for Snake. (Raiden before he became a ninja cyborg? I think I heard he was the main character of MGS2.) Which would be everyone except Cloud. And you could probably throw in any random Final Fantasy protagonist that uses a big sword as an echo of him I suppose, but I'm not sure who FF fans would actually want for that, if anyone.

Honestly many of these are so obvious that I'll almost be more surprised if we don't see them. Sadly including Shadow since I don't think we've seen his assist trophy return yet, but they've highlighted the addition of Knuckles as a new assist trophy from the series both at E3 and in the post-Evo direct, which is a tad suspicious when you think of it in that light. But I'd be pretty happy to see Proto Man or Jeanne myself.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2018-08-14 at 11:27 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Proto Man is unlikely since he was added to Mega's Final Smash (alongside Bass).

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Proto Man is unlikely since he was added to Mega's Final Smash (alongside Bass).
    Not necessarily. Would be easy to just replace him in the Final Smash with Mega Man himself, wouldn't it?

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    But not all unlocks are done in versus, are they? I mean, if they are, I'm sold. But I remember versions of Smash where the unlock condition was "beat this level" or "do this thing" or somesuch, frequently in solo play.

Sure, if it's just a case of "X hours spent in versus mode," that's fun for everybody. Except where everybody doesn't have their favorite character unlocked yet. But those guys are jerks.

Because they play Meta Knight.
    It's generally pretty standard to have both, at least in Smash Bros. Most unlocks are typically "Do X in Solo mode, or Play Y VS matches". It's just a lot easier to unlock some of the characters via the other method, rather than knocking out 700 VS matches. Then again, if the only time you play Smash is with friends then those VS games would go by at a steady pace.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not familiar enough with Metal Gear to know who, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's an easy one out there for Snake. (Raiden before he became a ninja cyborg? I think I heard he was the main character of MGS2.) Which would be everyone except Cloud. And you could probably throw in any random Final Fantasy protagonist that uses a big sword as an echo of him I suppose, but I'm not sure who FF fans would actually want for that, if anyone.
    The obvious one there would be Zack Fair, the character Cloud himself is an in-universe echo of. Although they're close enough together you could probably just have him represented as a palette swap/color choice of Cloud without much difficulty. Zack has featured as himself in a few games, tho, so there should sufficient material to create some altered moves or different traits to differentiate him adequately to make an echo rather than just a colorchange.

As for other big-sword users in FF.. honestly not too many come to mind, although I'm sure they exist. Gladiolus in FFXV is the only one I can readily think of that uses something as hilariously huge as Cloud's iconic Buster. Maybe Auron in X, although his style and presentation don't really match well with Cloud.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Honestly, that's a pretty neat solution. Give the grind to people who have fun with that, but for people who want access to those characters immediately, give them that option.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    But not all unlocks are done in versus, are they? I mean, if they are, I'm sold. But I remember versions of Smash where the unlock condition was "beat this level" or "do this thing" or somesuch, frequently in solo play.

Sure, if it's just a case of "X hours spent in versus mode," that's fun for everybody. Except where everybody doesn't have their favorite character unlocked yet. But those guys are jerks.

Because they play Meta Knight.
    I remember a smash bros having both. Play a bunch of verse (and it was a lot) to unlock the character, or beat a challenge to unlock them quickly.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

So, randomly thinking about possible Echo characters they might be saving for future reveals, it occurred to me that practically every third-party character has an obvious option.

Sonic -> Shadow (Maybe Tails, except Sonic's up throw has him hitting people with his spikey back, which wouldn't translate great to Tails.)
    Mega Man -> Proto Man
    Pac-Man -> Mrs. Pac-Man
    Ryu -> Ken and/or Akuma
    Bayonetta -> Jeanne (And/or Rosa, but Jeanne's far more likely.)

Honestly many of these are so obvious that I'll almost be more surprised if we don't see them. Sadly including Shadow since I don't think we've seen his assist trophy return yet, but they've highlighted the addition of Knuckles as a new assist trophy from the series both at E3 and in the post-Evo direct, which is a tad suspicious when you think of it in that light. But I'd be pretty happy to see Proto Man or Jeanne myself.
    Tails could use his tails to damage enemies in flight (it's how you take out Robotnik in Marble Garden Zone as Solo Tails), so he could spin his tails to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    It's like Amazon.com around here; free 2-day shipping on all orders no matter how trivial.
    Quote Originally Posted by u/s_SoNick
    Dr Mog: Hey, spiffy new threads you got there Tyro.

Tyro: Pie jesu domine smacks book against forehead Dona eis requiem

14. - Top - End - #44
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

There was a new Nintendo Direct on the 20th where FIVE characters were announced as well as revealing that there will be over 100 stages, over 300 if you count hazardless ans Omega versions of each stage. Theres also a hidden game mode on the main menu that is almost certainly the return of a story mode.
    Last edited by chainer1216; 2018-08-23 at 12:24 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Looking at the main roster on Nintendo's site, I'm a bit confused. What exactly is an Echo character? I assumed it was just meant for clones, but their definition of clone doesn't seem to match mine.

For instance, Lucina is listed as an Echo of Marth, which is fair. However, the original Marth clone Roy is now listed as a separate character. Daisy is listed as an Echo of Peach, but Dr. Mario isn't considered an Echo of Mario. Falco and Wolf aren't Echoes of Fox or each other. Wolf I can certainly see an argument for since his moveset is slightly different and his slowness makes him play far differently, but how is Falco not an Echo character?

Am I missing something?

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Looking at the main roster on Nintendo's site, I'm a bit confused. What exactly is an Echo character? I assumed it was just meant for clones, but their definition of clone doesn't seem to match mine.

For instance, Lucina is listed as an Echo of Marth, which is fair. However, the original Marth clone Roy is now listed as a separate character. Daisy is listed as an Echo of Peach, but Dr. Mario isn't considered an Echo of Mario. Falco and Wolf aren't Echoes of Fox or each other. Wolf I can certainly see an argument for since his moveset is slightly different and his slowness makes him play far differently, but how is Falco not an Echo character?

Am I missing something?
    Dr. Mario isn't an Echo Fighter because he retains the spin as his down special (I think, I don't know how Smash 4 altered Mario's Pharmacopeia for handing prescriptions of KOs.) Falco has a much better aerial game, and his reflector is a projectile. Roy's not an Echo because his neutral special damages him.
    It's like Amazon.com around here; free 2-day shipping on all orders no matter how trivial.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Am I missing something?
    Falco was decloned in Brawl, and Wolf was designed with a unique moveset separate from Fox and Falco's (although their specials are similar). Similarly, Roy was extensively decloned in his DLC appearance in Smash 4, and those moveset changes have carried on to Ultimate. We don't know exactly how much Dr. Mario differs from regular Mario now (besides that he still has the Tornado move instead of Mario's FLUDD, and he got a new dair), nor exactly how much a cloned fighter can differ from its original and still count as an Echo (Chrom looks to have a different Up-B move than Roy, the largest moveset change known between the Echo fighters).

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chainer1216 View Post
    There was a new Nintendo Direct on the 20th where FIVE characters were announced as well as revealing that there will be over 100 stages, over 300 if you count hazardless ans Omega versions of each stage. Theres also a hidden game mode on the main menu that is almost certainly the return of a story mode.
    Uh, that was on the 8th, not the 20th, and is what my first post is about.

Am I missing something?
    I agree that they're a bit inconsistent about labeling some of the older characters as Echos. Some of the original clones were substantially enough changed that they're practically wholly different - Falco and Ganondorf especially - but Roy and Doctor Mario have only a couple of moves altered in more than their physics properties. And they're clearly willing to label characters as Echos even if there's a slight moveset difference since they just revealed Chrom, who from footage looks to be an echo of Roy (his jab is the new one Roy got in Smash 4, and his neutral special is vertical like Roy's instead of horizontal like Marth's), but has Ike's Aether as his up special instead of Roy's. Which is obviously appropriate since Chrom learns Aether in his game, but still, bit of a snag in any claim that the "Echo" label is reserved only for the cloniest clones. (Personally I wish they'd just made Chrom a lighter-weight Echo of Ike instead, but eh.)

As for how Falco isn't a clone, he had a lot of moves changed to be wholly different from Fox's in Brawl. His jab, up tilt, nair, fair, fsmash, and reflector special are all now unique to him. He's not quite as differentiated as, say, a Lucas or Luigi, who resemble Ness and Mario only in passing on a few moves and really aren't clones at all, but he's much more his own character than he was before. And Wolf was never a clone and is in the Lucas/Luigi category; the only similarities he shares to Fox are his specials being broadly similar - blaster neutral, reflector down, etc - but they're quite different in animation and actual effect (his blaster being a single slow shot with a lot of hitstun vs Fox's being rapid-fire but causing no hitstun), and his normals aren't shared with Fox in the slightest.

Doctor Mario, Roy, and probably Pichu though should likely be labeled as Echoes but aren't. Maybe Young Link too, though I guess with the changes to the regular Link in this game you can make the argument that he shouldn't anymore.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2018-08-23 at 06:44 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Am I missing something?
    Roy at least, changed quite a bit from Marth when his DLC was released. They aren't very similar at all now. Falco and Dr. Mario have different effects for their moves, and much different weights. So I'm guessing Echos are literally just reskins, with no weight or move differences.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Uh, that was on the 8th, not the 20th, and is what my first post is about.
    but i...i even googled it the double check...how did i...?

anyway, sorry for being dumb.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Firbolg in the Playground

I’m guessing echoes will be ever so slightly different. Like Marth v Lucinda sweet spot.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Roy at least, changed quite a bit from Marth when his DLC was released. They aren't very similar at all now. Falco and Dr. Mario have different effects for their moves, and much different weights. So I'm guessing Echos are literally just reskins, with no weight or move differences.
    Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    I’m guessing echoes will be ever so slightly different. Like Marth v Lucinda sweet spot.
    Yeah, none of the Echos/clones that we know of are or have ever been completely just reskins. Lucina is the one most similar to her original as of Smash 4, and even she still has the tipper mechanic removed and the damage of her attacks normalized relative to Marth's. Dark Pit is the next closest, and he still has various physics differences from Pit (i.e. Pit's side special launches enemies vertically, Dark Pit's launches more horizontally).

Not sure about some of the new ones yet, haven't seen much of Daisy, Richter, or Dark Samus. But as mentioned before it's obvious that Chrom isn't an exact copy of Roy since he has Ike's up special, Aether. So to all appearances Echos will have small differences from their originals - which is a pretty good description of Roy, Doctor Mario, and Pichu, unless they've had more changes I haven't heard of.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, none of the Echos/clones that we know of are or have ever been completely just reskins. Lucina is the one most similar to her original as of Smash 4, and even she still has the tipper mechanic removed and the damage of her attacks normalized relative to Marth's. Dark Pit is the next closest, and he still has various physics differences from Pit (i.e. Pit's side special launches enemies vertically, Dark Pit's launches more horizontally).

Not sure about some of the new ones yet, haven't seen much of Daisy, Richter, or Dark Samus. But as mentioned before it's obvious that Chrom isn't an exact copy of Roy since he has Ike's up special, Aether. So to all appearances Echos will have small differences from their originals - which is a pretty good description of Roy, Doctor Mario, and Pichu, unless they've had more changes I haven't heard of.
    Roy at least is pretty dramatically different by his DLC. I guess we'll see if Doctor Mario and Pichu got some new changes.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe it's about how different the fighters play? Back in Melee, Pichu may have had the same moveset as Pikachu, but she was still a fragile little thing inferior in almost every way as an intentional hard mode character, with the primary advantage being having the best agility for grabbing items. Playing Pikachu and Pichu well required rather different strategies. Or maybe they just don't want Pichu and Pikachu to be compared closely because of Pichu's self-damage mechanic.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

I was operating under the assumption that Chrom was an Echo of Ike, instead of Roy. I'd have to check that video again.

It seems like the Echo version has slight adjustments, like launch/recovery angles, or slight variants to the moves. If they have wholesale new moves or replacement moves, I think that gets them separated from the main fighters.

Riiiiichteeeeeeeer!

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

What is an echo fighter? A miserable little clone with minor changes! But enough talk, have at you!

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Roy at least is pretty dramatically different by his DLC. I guess we'll see if Doctor Mario and Pichu got some new changes.
    While I never bought Roy and so don't have firsthand experience with him in Smash 4, the only new move I recall him getting is his jab. And if you're referring to physics properties and the like, he had differences there back in Melee too, as have basically all clones in the franchise to date other than Lucina.

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    Maybe it's about how different the fighters play? Back in Melee, Pichu may have had the same moveset as Pikachu, but she was still a fragile little thing inferior in almost every way as an intentional hard mode character, with the primary advantage being having the best agility for grabbing items. Playing Pikachu and Pichu well required rather different strategies. Or maybe they just don't want Pichu and Pikachu to be compared closely because of Pichu's self-damage mechanic.
    You just described all clones, though. Small differences in how they work lead to small differences in how people play them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jama7301 View Post
    I was operating under the assumption that Chrom was an Echo of Ike, instead of Roy. I'd have to check that video again.
    Nope. I'd have thought that's what they'd do, but all of his moves except Aether are of the Marth variety - even in the direct you saw him perform several of Marth's aerials up close. And a video they've released since the direct showing him and Lucina fighting Dark Samus and Ridley had enough footage to identify him as specifically being an echo of Roy rather than Marth - he has Roy's new jab. But also Aether.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Nope. I'd have thought that's what they'd do, but all of his moves except Aether are of the Marth variety - even in the direct you saw him perform several of Marth's aerials up close. And a video they've released since the direct showing him and Lucina fighting Dark Samus and Ridley had enough footage to identify him as specifically being an echo of Roy rather than Marth - he has Roy's new jab. But also Aether.
    Man, that's weird. He just feels like he'd be a bulkier fighter. Maybe that's how he'll Echo Roy/Marth. Keep some of the quickness while having some more weight to resist being launched.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jurai View Post
    What is an echo fighter? A miserable little clone with minor changes! But enough talk, have at you!
    Dracula had better show up as a stage hazard/boss to throw glasses of wine at people.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jama7301 View Post
    Man, that's weird. He just feels like he'd be a bulkier fighter. Maybe that's how he'll Echo Roy/Marth. Keep some of the quickness while having some more weight to resist being launched.
    I know, right? I mean, he is technically Marth's descendant, so I could see them wanting him to have a connection to him in-game - but if he's a Roy echo, then technically he only even has that secondhand. I'm hoping that in terms of his weight class he falls in between Roy and Ike, that seems like the most appropriate range for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Dracula had better show up as a stage hazard/boss to throw glasses of wine at people.
    I don't know about throwing wine, but he's definitely a stage hazard/boss, along with something like a dozen other Castlevania bosses. They showed that off in the direct when Simon was announced.