New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Braking while Accelerating

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Um, it totally does? That's basic thermodynamics--the rate of heat transfer from hot to cold is dependent on the temperature differential between the two. There has to be something else involved in the hot water/cold water freezing thing than regular heat transfer, though, because if that's all it was the hot bowl would cool faster than the cool bowl, but wouldn't overtake it (it cools faster, but has further to cool, so the two things should balance out).
    That doesn't explain the effect. The formula you are citing says that the instantaneous rate of heat transfer will be faster while the hot object is hot. Once the hot object gets down to the low temperature, which takes time, the rate of heat transfer will of course be the same as for an already equally low temperature object (here assuming the fridge is even lower temperature).

In other words, if you put water at 90° C into the freezer, it will very quickly lose temperature, but once it gets to a lower temperature, lets say 5° C (arbitrary), the instantaneous rate of temperature loss will now be lower, and equal to another 5° C object put into the same freezer. So why, if it takes time to go from 90° to 5°, and an equal amount of time to go from 5° to 0° for both objects, does the hot object objectively freeze faster? Clearly the simple formula does not take into account enough factors to accurately explain the phenomenon.
    Last edited by Caesar; 2018-08-14 at 02:42 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    If I am accelerating on my car and I suddenly have to stop, how does acceleration affect my braking? Do I stop in the same time as usual for the speed I was travelling at? Or does it take more time because I was accelerating?
    If you are actively accelerating (lets say you dont take your foot off the gas when you stomp the brakes), then it will take more energy and thus a longer time to stop when you hit the brakes. Note that gravity can accelerate your car down an incline, even while in gear.

If you take your foot off the gas and the car isn't being accelerated by an external source, then the stopping time is unchanged.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    U. Cal seems to back it up. Of course, that's not one of the super famous U. Cals, but i assume the physics department knows what it's taking about.
    The physics department really needs to talk to the chemistry department on this one - there are supporting calculations for dissolved gas having an effect, starting with the entire phenomenon of freezing point depression being really well documented. The same thing applies to mixture enthalpies. That said, aside from that quibble it's a solid article.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    That doesn't explain the effect.
    Of course it doesn't. You'd almost think I would have added something to my post to that effect (maybe starting with "There has to be something else involved in the hot water/cold water freezing thing"), but obviously I didn't do that, so your post correcting me was entirely justified.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Of course it doesn't. You'd almost think I would have added something to my post to that effect (maybe starting with "There has to be something else involved in the hot water/cold water freezing thing"), but obviously I didn't do that, so your post correcting me was entirely justified.
    If someone looks at the graph, they both do more or less as expected down to 4 degrees C, then they both stay there for longer than it took them to get down there, but the originally cooler water stays at 4 degrees C for about twice as long as the initially hot water does, and that's where the initially hot water overtakes it. Water does peculiar things at 4 degrees C, and this appears to be another of them.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    The physics department really needs to talk to the chemistry department on this one
    Forget XKCD, there's an SMBC for everything.
    Spoiler: I'm sure they will any day now.
    Show
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    If you take your foot off the gas and the car isn't being accelerated by an external source, then the stopping time is unchanged.
    As discussed previously in this thread, that's not true. Because their are internal sources of momentum and other small factors.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Speaking of braking while accelerating allows me to post one of my favorite videos. A Boeing 777 undergoing "Rejected Takeoff Test" where the plane is loaded to maximum takeoff weight, sent down the runway until it's just short of takeoff speed, then slams on the brakes WITH THE ENGINES AT FULL THRUST! Yes, the brakes can outperform 2 engines with 115,000 lbs of thrust each. Yes, they get very very hot.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by Jimor View Post
    Speaking of braking while accelerating allows me to post one of my favorite videos. A Boeing 777 undergoing "Rejected Takeoff Test" where the plane is loaded to maximum takeoff weight, sent down the runway until it's just short of takeoff speed, then slams on the brakes WITH THE ENGINES AT FULL THRUST! Yes, the brakes can outperform 2 engines with 115,000 lbs of thrust each. Yes, they get very very hot.
    Spoiler
    Show
    OK, that's just badass. I can't imagine a situation where that would really be an issue to have, but it's awesome that we can test for it and achieve the desired result just in case.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, the actual answer to the old "jetplane on a treadmill" question. Thank you for the video.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Ah, the actual answer to the old "jetplane on a treadmill" question.
    Well, it depends on how fast the treadmill is moving relative to the ground.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    If someone looks at the graph, they both do more or less as expected down to 4 degrees C, then they both stay there for longer than it took them to get down there, but the originally cooler water stays at 4 degrees C for about twice as long as the initially hot water does, and that's where the initially hot water overtakes it. Water does peculiar things at 4 degrees C, and this appears to be another of them.
    That's about the point where the density starts doing funny things. Until you hit 4oC, density is increasing as temperature is decreasing: cold water sinks, hot water rises, you know the drill. Below 4oC, that reverses, and the density drops as you approach freezing. Now the colder water wants to float on the less-cold water, which is why lakes ponds, streams, and the ocean freeze from the top down, rather than the bottom up.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

13. - Top - End - #43

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    That's about the point where the density starts doing funny things. Until you hit 4oC, density is increasing as temperature is decreasing: cold water sinks, hot water rises, you know the drill. Below 4oC, that reverses, and the density drops as you approach freezing. Now the colder water wants to float on the less-cold water, which is why lakes ponds, streams, and the ocean freeze from the top down, rather than the bottom up.
    And why ice skating works, at the right temp, adding pressure to ice causes it to melt, therefore providing a lubricant to skate on.

14. - Top - End - #44

NecromancerGuy

Thanks for that. An impressive feat of engineering.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    And why ice skating works, at the right temp, adding pressure to ice causes it to melt, therefore providing a lubricant to skate on.
    The jury is still out on that.

BTW, you can 'collect' posts to quote with the '+'-button on the lower right, so you don't have do double post or mess around with copy/paste.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

I still don't understand why all scientists hate other types of scientists, which they claim aren't "real" scientists.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I still don't understand why all scientists hate other types of scientists, which they claim aren't "real" scientists.
    I'm reasonable certain it is a joke. Just like Anthropologists.

Spoiler
    Show
    Joking of course.

18. - Top - End - #48

Yeah, it's more of a friendly rivalry. As always, there's a delightful SMBC explaining how silly an actual rivalry would be.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Yeah, it's more of a friendly rivalry. As always, there's a delightful SMBC explaining how silly an actual rivalry would be.
    Actually. No, no it's not. There may be a lot of joking and near jokes. But let's be clear there is absolutely rivalry and even hatred within fields and between them in science. It's not the most common situation, but it's not noteworthy uncommon either.

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    It's not quite that bad. Besides, scentist can't hate all other scientist for not being real scientists. They hate all those people claiming to be scientists when they aren't real scientists like they are.

It's absolutely real that natural science often looks down on other sciences. I know several fields who modify their behaviour to try and emulate "hard" science for that reason. The character Sheldon in Big Bang Theory is a humorously overblown stereotype, but the kernel of his being rings of truth.

The main "problem" is that scientists are human, and not a lot like the rational philosopher type they'd like you to think. Humans have human issues. (And unlike scientists in the humanities the natural scientists can't see theirs ;P)

The second issue can be spellt "competition for resources". Any funding someone else gets is less money for you.

Third, clashing theories. This is one of the worse ones for conflict. Two subjects looking at the same thing from slightly or wildly different angles.

I read a piece in the Atlantic not long ago aptly named the Nastiest Feud in Science. Which is an example of science at it's worst. Hitting points one and two.

Sometimes if you combine all three you can get a super-hurricane of rancor.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2018-08-21 at 03:06 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Actually. No, no it's not. There may be a lot of joking and near jokes. But let's be clear there is absolutely rivalry and even hatred within fields and between them in science. It's not the most common situation, but it's not noteworthy uncommon either.
    For instance, there's the use of the dismissive term "stamp collecting" in dead serious ways, mostly by physicists and towards every other field.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

-- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

For instance, there's the use of the dismissive term "stamp collecting" in dead serious ways, mostly by physicists and towards every other field.
    Exact words used by one side about the palentologists in the article I linked from the Atlantic! Have you read it too?

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Exact words used by one side about the palentologists in the article I linked from the Atlantic! Have you read it too?
    I have, but I'm familiar with that term from much earlier. For instance, Feynman famously referred to the entire discipline of biology as stamp collecting.

-- ChubbyRain

23. - Top - End - #53

I have, but I'm familiar with that term from much earlier. For instance, Feynman famously referred to the entire discipline of biology as stamp collecting.
    And the greatest biologists have slain one of the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse, while the heroes of physics gathered in the desert to create a new one.

Personally, I try to maintain a healthy respect for people whose disciplines I am not well versed in. Then again, I am an engineer, not a true scientist. Engineers practically revel in their ability to get things done with only a half formed idea of how things work.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

24. - Top - End - #54

Well, sure, every discipline will have egotistical nutjobs who think they're gods gift to the one true science, but that doesn't make them the norm. Take Feynman, who really seemed like a nice guy.

25. - Top - End - #55

Well, sure, every discipline will have egotistical nutjobs who think they're gods gift to the one true science, but that doesn't make them the norm. Take Feynman, who really seemed like a nice guy.
    I think it is something in physicists, personally. Feynman was a physicist, the guy who turned the "what killed the dinosaurs" debate toxic was a physicist. Based on 2 data points, all famous physicists are jerks.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

26. - Top - End - #56

NecromancerGuy

I think it is something in physicists, personally. Feynman was a physicist, the guy who turned the "what killed the dinosaurs" debate toxic was a physicist. Based on 2 data points, all famous physicists are jerks.
    Feynman was a jerk? I liked his book.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

See the link in Peelee's post above--it certainly implies Feynman had some odd ideas about what is acceptable behaviour toward women, at the very least.

28. - Top - End - #58

See the link in Peelee's post above--it certainly implies Feynman had some odd ideas about what is acceptable behaviour toward women, at the very least.
    I haven't even followed the link, I just read the title out of the link. I'm sure I could hunt down other physicists who were jerks in a very public way, but that doesn't seem helpful.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Oddly enough the former actually has no bearing on the latter. It can become very problematic when you try and recncile those two things however.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Bugbear in the Playground

And the greatest biologists have slain one of the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse, while the heroes of physics gathered in the desert to create a new one.

Personally, I try to maintain a healthy respect for people whose disciplines I am not well versed in. Then again, I am an engineer, not a true scientist. Engineers practically revel in their ability to get things done with only a half formed idea of how things work.
    I'm not sure where in the physics pantheon Feymann sits, but it has to be roughly as high as where James Watson would be on the discovery of the structure of DNA. Feymann might be judged as a jerk as time rolled past and acceptable standards changed (granted, Feymann didn't care too much about acceptable standards anyway: thus the title "surely you are joking Mr. Feymann"), but Watson managed to get himself shunned in his own time.