New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wizard Help

1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Wizard Help

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyphoenixx View Post
    A wizard can divine all those things. The whole point of having divination spells is that you don't have to bother with mundane legwork.
    This is the single biggest mistake you can make if your you -really- want to be the guy who knows everything. As in everything else, magic is better for augmenting and supplementing mundane information gathering than in replacing it.

Remember how I said that divisions give you "reasonably accurate information?" I chose that phrase because divinations aren't perfect to begin with and they can be misdirected and foiled by any actor concerned about them enough to be proactive. It's always best to verify any information you gather from multiple independent sources.

Even if you're reasonably confident that your divinations have been accurate; double check with witnesses, documents and spies whenever you can. Being right 95% of the time will usually be less important than being wrong 5% of the time when you and your party's lives and/or the fate of a settlement, an organization, or greater may be on the line.

Also, "I divined it" will rarely be accepted as proof enough for anything outside of the minds of your immediate allies so using divination magic to find things and people that can corroborate what you have and are learning can be useful in acting on information as well.

TL;DR: Never skip the legwork.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

2. - Top - End - #32

Default Re: Wizard Help

First off the divination spells you want, at least some of them, are scattered throughout a great many D&D, Pathfinder and third party related books. Divination is not a popular school, so there will only be a couple spells per book.

You really want to get a hold of Arcana Evolved Spell Treasury as it has a lot of useful divination spells of the type your talking about like the spell 'Recent Occupant', 'Creature Loresight' and 'x-ray vision'.
    Otherwise, you really just need to look and see if the spell is right for you.

Also, it works if you are open to homebrew, as you can find lots of spells online too. I've made a fair number of divination spells myself, feel free to Pm me about them.