New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Help With A Windows 10 Issue

I have an HP computer running Windows 10 purchased nearly three weeks ago. The problem that it has is that-regardless of the browser that I'm using (and I've used Firefox, Edge, and Chrome, all with their most recent updates) it randomly crashes the entire computer whenever I try and watch Youtube. Watching videos otherwise isn't troublesome at all and I've tried playing Starcraft II on it with no issues as well.

I already did some research and found that this was a fairly common problem, but none of the solutions I've found are addressing this. I've turned Hardware Acceleration off in both Firefox and Chrome, my video drivers are updated when I checked this, and I don't have Shockwave or Flash installed I think.

Please help. Thanks in advance.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Help With A Windows 10 Issue

Do you have any links to the problem being identified? I'd like to give those a quick once over, if you don't mind.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Do you have any links to the problem being identified? I'd like to give those a quick once over, if you don't mind.
    Will this help, or are you looking more for links with registry information as well?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...b-cf83229dae04

(So far) I've downloaded Opera and not had the same trouble, but I've also been limiting my online video watching because I don't want to damage the computer with multiple hard restarts. I also have no trouble playing SC II on the same computer either or personal videos so this very much so seems to be a browser-related issue.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Arcane_Secrets View Post
    Will this help, or are you looking more for links with registry information as well?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...b-cf83229dae04

(So far) I've downloaded Opera and not had the same trouble, but I've also been limiting my online video watching because I don't want to damage the computer with multiple hard restarts. I also have no trouble playing SC II on the same computer either or personal videos so this very much so seems to be a browser-related issue.
    No, that was fine. I was just feeling lazy and wanted to see what all was recommended (and I assume you've tried) so as to not retread old ground.

I really don't think it's a browser issue, but just in case, try Vivaldi and see if you still have the same issue. I'd be surprised if that fixed it, frankly, but it's free and worst-case scenario is you wasted a few minutes. Other than that, I'm stumped.

Though now that I think about it, is it only through the youtube website, or is it also embedded videos? And can you play other videos, and just not youtube ones? I''; try to give a couple tests below.

Spoiler: Here's the embedded youtube.
    Show

And here is a non-youtube video.

Frankly, I got nothin' at this point, and I'm just digging for more information for someone else who may be able to figure it out.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quick question: do you have the HTML5 player enabled on Youtube? (https://www.youtube.com/html5). If not it would be trying to use Flash to play movies, and we all know what a heap of steaming garbage *that* is.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Quick question: do you have the HTML5 player enabled on Youtube? (https://www.youtube.com/html5). If not it would be trying to use Flash to play movies, and we all know what a heap of steaming garbage *that* is.
    I think so. How would I tell?

To answer the previous response, I did download Vivaldi and used it to play youtube and so far I haven't had any problems, but I haven't tried any particularly long videos (more than 15 minutes) either.

7. - Top - End - #7

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Arcane_Secrets View Post
    I think so. How would I tell?
    Go the link I posted and see if it says that Youtube is using the HTML5 player where possible.

8. - Top - End - #8

Go the link I posted and see if it says that Youtube is using the HTML5 player where possible.
    Yes, it says that.

9. - Top - End - #9

BlackDragon

OK, that's not the issue, then, I return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

10. - Top - End - #10

OK, that's not the issue, then, I return you to your regularly scheduled programming.
    It took a lot longer for it to crash when it did with other browsers, but it finally crashed with Opera as well and generated an error report. It said:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000050 (0xfffff80110ac9ff9, 0x0000000000000010, 0xfffff80110ac9ff9, 0x0000000000000002). A dump was saved in: C:\windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 3c6cd582-2ae7-41c0-b3c9-ba0dca30e9dd.

11. - Top - End - #11

BlackDragon

0x00000050 is PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, which is unfortunately fairly generic. It can be caused by buggy drivers, but you say you've already updated those and aren't using hardware acceleration in the browser. It can *also* be caused by faulty RAM, so what I would try doing next is running the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool and see if that returns any issues.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

I suspect that you have faulty hardware.