New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default 20th level power - Who do ya trust?

So there are a couple of "What would you do as a 20th Level 'X'" threads floating around, and I thought it might be interesting to invert the question a bit.

Suppose instead of being offered 20th level powers in a class, you had the chance to grant one person 20 levels in a class. You get to pick the person, and the class. That's it. You make no build choices in any way. You have no control over what they do, most explicitly including no ability to undo the gift. If you give your best friend 20 levels in Wizard and they decide to say thank you by trapping your soul in a miniature glass unicorn you are SOL.

No historical figures, ideally it should be someone you know but if you really want to make the Pope a 20th level Cleric, or Kim Jong-Un a 20th level Dread Necromancer, I suppose you can. If you want to give your kid brother, who always wanted to be a rock star, 20 levels in Bard you can do that too.

Is there anyone you trust that much? And what class would you give them?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: 20th level power - Who do ya trust?

The twin brother I see every day in the mirror, and I'd say spell point generalist wizard.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Risen Martyr. Don't much care who. They're not my problem after 10 levels.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I would pick my father to be a 20th lvl favored soul. I know I don't get to decide what he does after that point build-wise, but I'm assuming that he would put his +5 ability point increase into Dexterity. Since his parkinsons disease has taken his score there to zero, this would effectively be restoring his ability to move.

I would also find it very interesting from a scientific standpoint to observe him and see if he is capable of casting spells, since the divine power of favored souls must come from a god of some kind. Note that if he couldn't cast, it might just be that his relevant score isn't high enough to allow for casting (wisdom or charisma, I can't remember which and I'm away from my books), but if he COULD cast something... that would definitely be interesting, to say the least.

It's also possible that he may simply choose not to attempt to cast anything, ever. Be it for fear of answering this question, or the belief that humanity should never really "know" and it should always be a faith-thing, or whatever other reason. Who knows.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I'd trust my brother with it, and he'd trust my expertise to help him pick appropriate feats and spells and stuff.

My girlfriend I feel similarly about. She thinks much more highly of me than I do.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

I give myself 20 Wizard

7. - Top - End - #7

I really wouldn't trust anyone with this kind of power, myself included. If I had to, I might...

Give myself the power of a 20th level Wizard (yes to spell points).

Make Red Fel - or certain very evil politicians - into 20th level Paladin's.

Give 20 levels in... something that gives immortality... to the person I thought was the best example of humanity.

Make a bid for divinity, and make the girl who most recently flashed me a 20th level Cleric of me.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    Make Red Fel - or certain very evil politicians - into 20th level Paladin's.
    Even if they fall, they're still 20th level warriors. A single feat could get them immortality.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

My wife, 20 levels of Cleric, for much the same reason I'd pick Cleric for myself. They're hard to screw up with bad feat choices, and can choose different spells each day. After about a week, and all of our various ailments and physical issues have been taken care of, it'd still keep some everyday utility (Heroes' Feast, Endure Elements, most of the Divination line).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

I made this exact thread a few weeks ago.
    It died with everyone saying "I wouldn't trust anyone."

I would go say my daughter and go Oracle, but ONLY after she was 25.

I pick Oracle because it has a real price for its power, and I like that.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    I made this exact thread a few weeks ago.
    It died with everyone saying "I wouldn't trust anyone."

I would go say my daughter and go Oracle, but ONLY after she was 25.

I pick Oracle because it has a real price for its power, and I like that.
    Not everyone, but it's one of those questions where there's not much to say. With the "what would you do with X" threads, you can state personal planned methods, thoughts about what effects others' planned methods might have, and so on, which means there can be a fair amount of back & forth. This question basically amounts to "a name and a class, maybe a tiny amount of reasoning behind it" - but that's a one-and-done. Your choice is entirely subjective, and few can really comment on it (it's unlikely that you know my father, for instance, and even if you do happen to know him, it's unlikely you've connected me to my screen name to make the connection).
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, my mom would become a supervillain. My sister would also probably become a supervillain. My dad would probably do nothing. I have no other family of note, and I have no friends. I guess I have no one to give powers to.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

13. - Top - End - #13

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    The twin brother I see every day in the mirror, and I'd say spell point generalist wizard.
    Quote Originally Posted by GabesHorn View Post
    I give myself 20 Wizard
    I see I wasn't explicit enough. It's give someone else class levels. If you could give them to yourself it's merely a 'pick your class' thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Well, my mom would become a supervillain. My sister would also probably become a supervillain. My dad would probably do nothing. I have no other family of note, and I have no friends. I guess I have no one to give powers to.
    Well I did say you could use anyone living if none of your circle of aquaintances make the cut. You could always just give Jon Stewart 20 levels in Barbarian just for lols.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Andor13 View Post
    I see I wasn't explicit enough. It's give someone else class levels. If you could give them to yourself it's merely a 'pick your class' thread.
    What, you think I'd give something like that to someone else? No.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Not everyone, but it's one of those questions where there's not much to say. With the "what would you do with X" threads, you can state personal planned methods, thoughts about what effects others' planned methods might have, and so on, which means there can be a fair amount of back & forth. This question basically amounts to "a name and a class, maybe a tiny amount of reasoning behind it" - but that's a one-and-done. Your choice is entirely subjective, and few can really comment on it (it's unlikely that you know my father, for instance, and even if you do happen to know him, it's unlikely you've connected me to my screen name to make the connection).
    I very much agree with this. The problem with giving others class levels is that we can't know what they'll do with them. So discussion can't go much further than "I pick this person for this reason... Here's hoping I didn't **** this up."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Thinking a bit more about my answer ... I don't think I'd ever have married someone I wouldn't trust with being a 20th-level character. Maybe that ought to go in the relationship advice thread?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

My brother, 20th level sorcerer and hope to the nine divines he remembers what I said about Mirror Mephits to grant me some divine ranks and what 3.5 says about sorcerer spell selection so he can pick up the ones I keep mentioning in conversations along these lines.
    Last edited by Ruethgar; 2018-08-18 at 10:17 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    I very much agree with this. The problem with giving others class levels is that we can't know what they'll do with them. So discussion can't go much further than "I pick this person for this reason... Here's hoping I didn't **** this up."
    I am finding the responses interesting, especially the 'yes, because' ones, but to be fair I was at least in part motivated by the sheer sociopathy displayed by a few posts in the 20th level Wizard thread. I was curious to see if that degree of self-interest was strong enough to prevent someone from handing out the power to save the world, for fear of not being the benefactor. And on that score, I have my answers.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd have to do some research to find a suitable candidate. In the past, Mr Rogers would've been a good choice by all accounts.
    Not sure about who would be a good choice today. But I'm sure someone could be found with enough looking.

class-wise, I'd have to consider, some classes create more potential problems than others; many of the martial classes wouldn't really be that much of a threat to the world, just a boost, so it wouldn't be too problematic on average if they didn't turn out well.

I'd have to review the alternate casting classes to see which ones have options that could turn out poorly/be used for evil. Maybe the healer class? haven't read that one in awhile.
    of course, I'd also look to cheese the questioni by picking a class with some strict requirements which would limit the person. (i.e. picking Paladin means I don't have to worry as much about them turning evil since it'd cause a power loss)
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Andor13 View Post
    I am finding the responses interesting, especially the 'yes, because' ones, but to be fair I was at least in part motivated by the sheer sociopathy displayed by a few posts in the 20th level Wizard thread. I was curious to see if that degree of self-interest was strong enough to prevent someone from handing out the power to save the world, for fear of not being the benefactor. And on that score, I have my answers.
    I think in practicality people would be a lot more time with their abilities than they describe on the internet. The (quasi)anonymity of the forum lends itself to extreme statements. Then you have people who are playing characters or personas on the forum with more extreme views or others that take it as an opportunity to joke around.

I'd posit that this gets you a pretty skewed image of how someone would act when given that much power.

21. - Top - End - #21

HalflingRangerGuy

I'm turning my cat into something with immortality.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Peat View Post
    I'm turning my cat into something with immortality.
    This sounds like a cat-astrophy of epic proportions. "All hail muffins."

23. - Top - End - #23

Now that I think about it, I would probably go with Ellen DeGeneres. Because she's awesome. And I would probably go with wizard 20. Because wizards are the best.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Now that I think about it, I would probably go with Ellen DeGeneres. Because she's awesome. And I would probably go with wizard 20. Because wizards are the best.
    This would be truly horrifying.

And explaining why would violate forum rules.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

It seems rude to give someone phenomenal power without asking permission first. After all, it's a major life change that carries a lot of responsibility and is likely to result in lots of attention. If I had the power to grant this sort of thing, I'd want to talk it over with the person first.

Of course I might consider giving 20 levels of Mountebank to someone I'd like to see literally go to Hell, but ultimately that's too risky if they manage to get loose, so I don't think I'd go for it.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    This would be truly horrifying.

And explaining why would violate forum rules.
    Meh. She'd have my vote for Queen of Everything.

All hail our Not-So-Evil Overlady!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

It's a hard choice between Commoner 20--the "nobody can be trusted with this much power" principle--and Artificer 20--the "greatest advancement in science and technology" ideal. For the former, I'd probably go with my father, who is very responsible and will pick Knowledge skills in any case, which shouldn't break the game world too much (as compared to Diplomacy). For the latter, uh... can I pick Einstein? I just like the idea of Einstein returning to Earth as an artificer 20.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Puh.....I dont know anyone I would TRULY trust with the higher Power Stuff (if I am honest including myself, but being myself I would give myself the benefit of the doubt^^).

So I would probably make my Mom a Healer 20. And hope she doesnt realize chain gating. ^^

Now back to playing, 10 Minutes break over ^^
    Last edited by GrayDeath; 2018-08-18 at 02:31 PM.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ghen View Post
    I would pick my father to be a 20th lvl favored soul. I know I don't get to decide what he does after that point build-wise, but I'm assuming that he would put his +5 ability point increase into Dexterity. Since his parkinsons disease has taken his score there to zero, this would effectively be restoring his ability to move.

I would also find it very interesting from a scientific standpoint to observe him and see if he is capable of casting spells, since the divine power of favored souls must come from a god of some kind. Note that if he couldn't cast, it might just be that his relevant score isn't high enough to allow for casting (wisdom or charisma, I can't remember which and I'm away from my books), but if he COULD cast something... that would definitely be interesting, to say the least.

It's also possible that he may simply choose not to attempt to cast anything, ever. Be it for fear of answering this question, or the belief that humanity should never really "know" and it should always be a faith-thing, or whatever other reason. Who knows.
    You're good people. I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    It seems rude to give someone phenomenal power without asking permission first. After all, it's a major life change that carries a lot of responsibility and is likely to result in lots of attention. If I had the power to grant this sort of thing, I'd want to talk it over with the person first.
    That's a solid point. That said, I'm certain my brother would gladly take 20 levels of X caster, and I know his morals and thoughts well enough to be fairly certain he wouldn't go supervillain with it.

... but I have been wrong before.

30. - Top - End - #30

I guess I could always give a full complement of levels in violet fungus to Kim Jong-un.