New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Least Tactically Intensive Classes?

Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    A Sorcerer honestly isn't that bad for this, particularly if you pick single target ranged spells. Doesn't take a lot of effort or energy to pick a target, pick a spell, and roll to hit.
    A Save or X Sorcerer does pretty well if you have a rod fo sculpt spell. Combine with the following feat chain.

Snowcasting->Cold Focus->Greater Cold Focus->Draconic Aura Choose Energy Cold
    Dragonblood Subtype (Upgrades your Save DC boost from +1 to +2 to +4 after 7th level)
    Summon Component.

Summon Component is a 1st Level Sorc Spell that is Swift Action use it to summon Snow and add the Cold Descriptor to your spells.
    Cold Descriptor boosts your Save DCs by 2 with Greater Cold Focus, and a 1 to 4 Save DC boost by Draconic Aura Energy Cold depending on your level.

Pretty much all your spells will get this +3 to +6 save dcs. You can also stack other save boosters including the traditional spell focus line.

Rods of Sculpt Spell allow you to on the fly reshape your spells and often allow you to hit multiple targets at a time even if very far away .

Oh there is also an expensive magic item a form of male that is armor but also boosts cold dcs an additional +2. Located here. http://archive.wizards.com/default.a...d/fw/20030323a

----

Plus since you are a dragonblood sorcerer anyway you can also do wings of cover. This does not just black people trying to full attack you it also breaks line of effect and thus most targetable spells do not work. Furthermore you can also give yourself a cover bonus to ac and to reflex saves with wings of cover so almost all forms of effect wings of cover allow you to choose on the fly as an immediate action do I want this to affect me? Aka a form of reactive simplicity where you do not need to be proactively thinking in a tactical sense.

----

Going Back to the OP (gooddragon1) and his question. What classes are high in the proactive tactics vs reactive just play it by ear depends alot on what level of play you are playing (aka character level) and what your group consists of and how your group members are going to be involving you or not with their spells and class abilities.

For example right now I am in the process of character development of a gestalt character who is going to be a crusader / psion with a 2 level dip into targetter. Well this character is going to be thicket of blades with a kusarigama. Thicket of Blades + Kusarigama + Huge Size via Expansion means I take up 15 feet of space but I get to cover an additional 30 feet of space with reach. Stand Still allows me to stop opponents from moving in effectively a 40-ft radius circle around me. Thus I can reactively protect allies. Yet the real meat of the build is to be a javelin thrower with a gauntlet of endless javelins. This allows me to be offensive.

Effectively I am reactively tactical and proactively just kill things by throwing spears of force into them. Flavorwise I may play this character as spiderman with my kusarigama as web shooters throwing webbing with my stand still 30-ft range, with me throwing webbing / javelin of death at those farther than 30-ft.

Now how this whole build is going to work well is not the gestalt but because I will have a bard ally PC who will be boosting our damage with dragonfire inspiration sonic. Now my spears are deadly without needing me to provide things like power attack or precision damage, and my stand stills are effective even with a light weapon that barely does any damage and I am not going to do any power attack.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

A fallen paladin. Hey, you even get less feats to worry about than the fighter!

Warlock with 24hr buff invocations and the Dimension Door invocation is one p&p version of a point and click video game character. A volley archer fighter would be another one.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Dragon Shaman or Marshal. What? You said least tactically intensive, not good (actually you kind of did). You pick an aura or two (stop here if Marshal), you use a breath weapon. On the occasion you healer can't get to a buddy in time, you have something for that, but other than that you're set. I recommend a line breath weapon, btw. Less worrying about hitting allies.

For a slightly more useful class, Healer. Eventually you'll get a Unicorn, but you can just give it simple commands and let the DM decide how to interpret them (if your DM is cool with that). Other than that, you heal. Occasionally, you might Speak with Animals or Calm Emotions, but those are both pretty situational.
    Last edited by Luccan; 2018-08-19 at 04:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

4. - Top - End - #34
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    A Save or X Sorcerer does pretty well if you have a rod fo sculpt spell.
    I think Sculpt Spell is probably not what OP is looking for. It's adding an additional layer of tactical choices to each spell you use, and AoE spells require a lot more tactical thought than single target ones to begin with (don't have to worry about hitting your allies with scorching ray). Though it is true that the 10 ft cubes mode of Sculpt Spell makes it easier to avoid hitting allies.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

Risen martyr. Before the class, you're dead, so you have no choices to make at all. And after the whole class is taken, you're dead, so you also have no choices.