New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default UMD: Emulate a Class Feature

In another thread I posted, a suggestion was made to use UMD via the Emulate a Class feature rule to emulate the ability to cast spells in order to power a runestaff.

I was curious if anyone has done this before or whether it is even something you can do. If you could make the neccessary UMD check could you essentially use the staff at will?
    Last edited by Yogibear41; 2018-08-18 at 08:55 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: UMD: Emulate a Class Feature

Use Magic Device explicitly allows you to sacrifice daily uses of abilities you don't have, but I don't see anything that would allow you to break the Runestaff's daily limits.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2018-08-18 at 09:04 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Use Magic Device explicitly allows you to sacrifice daily uses of abilities you don't have, but I don't see anything that would allow you to break the Runestaff's daily limits.
    Oh I was reading about runestaffs in the wrong spot, I didn't see they were each 3/day.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

The other concern, of course, is that if you're activating something like a shield of vigor by emulating the Knight's Challenge feature of the knight, well, say you manage to emulate a 2nd level knight, that means your effective knight level gives you 1 + Cha uses per day of Knight's Challenge. IMO you'd still be beholden to the daily limit you would have if you were a knight of that level, so after you've used it that many times, the DC of the check would basically increase accordingly.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    I have yet to encounter a DM who allows you to expend a resource you don't have, despite the example in the PHB (which is decidedly absent on the SRD), so take this recommendation with a massive grain of salt. I personally allow casters to use runestaves (and knowstones from one of the dragon magazines) to cast spells not on their spell list with a UMD check, but they still need to actually expend their own spellslots to do so.
    Last edited by Crake; 2018-08-19 at 07:26 AM.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.