New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default What race & class fits what I'm looking for?

Hello! I technically been playing for a while in a school club? I’m just forgetful and spend far too long procrastinating on making my characters. Which I seriously need constant guidance on and the DMs all hate me for that.

The one I play is Pathfinders. I think it goes here. That’s what Google told me. Anyways I’ve been playing a Druid for both my two campaigns I participated in. I want something new since it gets boring after a while. I only played the druid because the character creation is a pain. Just personal opinion! It’s just not the most fun part of D&D for me.

I’ve always played with a bow or a slingstaff. So I want something melee? I want someone that can hit hard but not slow and clumsy. Wisdom and stuff isn’t a problem. Casting spells is becoming annoying for me. I probably will still play one of the classic classes.

As for race, I also do tend to care about the looks and lore of my character more than the benefits it would bring to the group of playing a specific race. I took an interest in the following species simply because they looked nice and/or I can build a nice backstory with them: Trox, Wyvaran, Strix, Kobald, Gnoll. Maybe I have an odd view at beauty hm.

Now that I’m done with my nonsense rambling, anyone willing to give a few pointers? Except for reading online articles about races earnestly I’m pretty much lost at what I should play or even do.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: What race & class fits what I'm looking for?

Hit hard, but not slow or clumsy? Sounds like you need some Path of War (third party, but good).
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: What race & class fits what I'm looking for?

You might want to try the kobold. They are flexible. I would suggest an unchained rogue, as you get weapon finesse for free and also can add dex to the damage of a finesse weapon.

So you could go unchained rogue 3/fighter 4 (for weapon specialization in your finesse weapon, likely a rapier). Then go for the duelist prestige class. So you would need the feats dodge and mobility for that.

Maybe: level 1Rogue (dodge), level 3 Rogue (mobility), level 4 fighter 1 (w. focus rapier), level 5 fighter 2 (improved initiative), draconic aspect, level 7 fighter 4 (w. spec rapier), draconic glide, then at 9th take draconic breath and at 11th take draconic paragon (hey, you can fly!). Making favoured class fighter helps with sneak attack damage.

After that you could take critical focus at 13th, tiring critical at 15th and exhausting critical at 17th. Then maybe improved critical at 19th if you don't have a keen rapier by then (if you do, merciless precision might be nice if that is allowed by your DM; Wind stance would also be nice for when you are flying). Your class levels at 18th to 20th could be whatever you wish; I don't know how high level you are going to go.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other...es/arg-kobold/

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/unc...gue-unchained/

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/pre...ebook/duelist/

There are class archetypes you can take for fighter and unchained rogue, and racial modifications you can make to the kobold but you may want to keep it simple for your first go round. But that said, weapon master for fighter is a solid choice and gliding for kobold is thematic. Whether you take an archetype for rogue depends on how much you like trapfinding, I guess.

This build needs dexterity and intelligence (both to use duelist abilities and to speak common). You might want to shore up con too as the kobold hurts in that department.

You could modify yourself after the heroic and noble kobold Yokyok that tried (and of course failed) to take out Belkar and avenge his father.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0348.html

Edit: If you make it that far levels 18 to 20 could be shadowdancer after you finish all ten levels of the duelist.

What else, traits could be killer and blood of dragons (bonus vs sleep and paralysis stacks with that gains from kobold feats). Bleeding critical is a nice rogue talent at first (although pressure points (a ninja trick that rogues can use as a talent) might be more thematic). After that, there is one that lets your buddy get an app when you miss. Assault leader, that was it. Actually now that I think about it, maybe Assault Leader at level 2 and Pressure Points at level 20 (levels 17 - 20 are when you start using the Duelist strength/dex damage anyhow).

I think I might be using this character myself one day, whether the OP does or not.
    Last edited by Particle_Man; 2018-08-22 at 12:44 PM.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!