New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] The Black Dragon's Den XIV

"You're opening a comic shop? Isn't that kinda like a robot selling smart phones? A dinosaur gas station attendant? A construction firm that only builds fourth walls?" Malice, knock it off. The fact that you're having this conversation with her is proof that you're just as fictional as she is. Besides, aren't you missing the really big, important, much more obvious question here?

"More importantly, why would you want me? The only thing I'm good for is building killer robots and losing fights, and I ran out of killer robot parts a while ago. Is this just so you have someone to cover for you when Intersection flashes the Krystal Signal in the night sky and calls on you to foil Jigsaw Jester, the crazed cluemaster comedian, who's clashing against cops on yet another contemptible crime spree?" Malice almost sounds excited for a moment, with all of that alliteration. He had plans for that sort of thing, once. He'd drown his foes in words starting with 'M,' and everyone would surely recognize Malice as the superior cyborg. Now, if he could just get someone to loan him a few billion dollars and a giant, city-destroying mecha...
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Krystal chuckles. Yeah, I'm hoping my, uh, background in this area will help boost sales.

She finishes her drink. And I want you for a few reasons. You know just about as much as I do about the different Marvel realities. Probably more about the others. And, yeah, I need somebody to run the place if I have to go help people. Plus, you could totally put your tech knowledge to use helping me.

Also, she really doesn't like that he seems to be keeping himself in Magtok's shadow. Can't say that one, though. Might scare him away.

So what do you say? Partners?

She holds out a hand, as if to shake.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907

3. - Top - End - #63

Krystal is, like many PCs, a danger magnet. Trouble, danger, and violence follows her wherever she goes. Malice knows this, he knows the comic shop will eventually be met with some kind of crisis or disaster or space nazi street gang of angry gator-men demanding protection money. Trouble will come knocking, and as with every major Nexus emergency, opportunity will be lurking behind it.

That's how he'll get out of this rut. That's how he'll move beyond odd jobs and mundane garbage and psychologically-draining orphanage work. He'll loot her communist robot enemies for parts. He'll keep their super-suits in a secure vault below the comic shop. He'll curate her trophy gallery of fallen foes, put glass cases on all their bizarre and bombastic weaponry and gadgets, and then, just when she's beginning to trust and confide in him, steal it all for himself! He'll take it all, become unstoppable, build himself a new empire from these ashes, become the Malice he always knew he could be!

"...Fine, partners," he concedes, shaking her hand.

That villain stuff's what he tells himself his motive is, anyway. He's certainly not worried about Krystal's psyche, shut up. He's not the least bit concerned about how cynical and tired she sounds. I mean, it's fine for him to be battered and tired and nihilistic; he's the bad guy here. Heroes are supposed to inspire and uplift, to fill the lowly mundanes with hope and joy. She's supposed to be sunny and optimistic and cute. The fact that she's so full of doubt and pain almost makes Malice want to do something, which is weird and uncomfortable and gross, because deep down, he's still a villain, and empathy is still a foreign and nauseating concept to the cyborg.
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

4. - Top - End - #64

Krystal smiles as she shakes Malice's hands. This was going to be the start of something great. She could feel it.

Good. Great. Alright. She's grinning widely now, clearly pleased by this.

So, wanna go take a look at the place? Already started setting some stuff up there.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

CHARACTERS

5. - Top - End - #65

There's something vaguely resembling human emotion flaring up in Malice's stomach when Krystal smiles. He doesn't like it, not in the least. He does his best to bury it away by thinking about all those villainous plots he could get up to, lurking in the shadows of a superheroine and laying claim to every gadget, weapon, and supersuit Krystal beats out of her foes, calling dibs before Intersection can lock all the best loot away in their evidence room. Yes, that's definitely stuff that's actually going to happen in the future, and not just a lie he's telling himself to chase the other thoughts away.

"Sure. Let me just let someone know I'll be late, and-" Malice frowns, wishing it didn't take so long to text on this stupid flip phone. Who is this 'someone,' though? If he's not doing crime, that's great, but what is he actually up to? "Alright. Not too far from here, right?" You're in a bar, Malice. Everything is weirdly within walking distance of those, somehow.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

6. - Top - End - #66

Krystal pays her tab and heads for the door, shaking her head a bit. Nah, not far. Right where Market Street passes through Metropolis Square.

Man, when did these districts start popping up?

She glances at Magtok's ill-gotten phone.

If you got something important going on, you can come by later.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

7. - Top - End - #67

Malice shakes his head, following Krystal out the door. "It'll be fine. I nearly beat a man to death, I think that's a good enough excuse to call out sick." I think that only counts when you're the one getting beaten up, cyborg. I suppose it's probably better you don't show up, though. The blood on your hands and booze on your breath would be a little difficult to explain. Most businesses frown upon their employees getting into bar fights right before their shift. I'm sure whatever you're up to is no different.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Someone enters the bar!
    A towheaded young man, in his late teens, enters. He seems out of place here. In fact, he looks like a farm hand. There's a thin crusting of dirt under his fingernails, and he's wearing rugged, patched jeans and an old, beat-up T-shirt. He sits at the bar and orders a whiskey.
    Perceptive individuals may notice a thin ribbon of bloodred fluid trailing from the back of the lad's sturdy work boot, as well as a faint whiff of sulphur coming from him. Those who are good at reading people, on the other hand, will note that he looks around at the other patrons almost hungrily.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

9. - Top - End - #69

Hey dude you smell like dog turds. The woman he sat next to crinkles her nose up at him as he sits. She has a collection of bottles next to her, all of them the cheapest beer that the BDD sells. She's wearing a black tank top and a grey jumpsuit zipped down to the waist and tied up to expose her arms. Her hair is red, tied up in a high ponytail. Take a shower some time.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

"Well excuuuuse me! If you worked half as hard as I did, you'd stink too." The lad drinks his whiskey, swallowing it all in one gulp and ordering another.

My Nexus characters

11. - Top - End - #71

If I worked in the dog turd factory maybe. Violet says, waving to the bartender and holding up 3 fingers. She starts drinking one of the three drinks the goblin brings over. How come some dog turd smellin' dude's drinking in the den. DFI looks more your speed. She says, draining the rest of the beer to punctuate the point, reaching over for her second. A detail I forgot to mention: there's a crude spear resting on the bar next to her, tip made of a shard of glass lashed to a metal pole with electrical wires.

Show

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

"Hey now. I drink where I want, and I eat where I want and nobody can tell.me otherwise. You got it?" The youngster seems very confrontational. He seems to feel like the woman is disrespecting him, and he clearly doesn't like that.

My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #73

Looks like nobody tells you when to shower either. Violet says, grin spreading across her face. Maybe this crappy night can be saved after all! This guy looks like he might be willing to start a fight! Hell you probably wouldn't listen anyway. Smell reminds you of your mum. Her grip tightens on the bottle of beer she's drinking as she stares dead at him, predatory grin a seemingly permanent fixture on her face.

Show

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

The young man gets up from his seat, glaring at the insulting woman with fire in his eyes. "You could call me names and you could spit in my face, but you insulted the memory of my mother. I'm not going to let you go without a beating!" If she wanted a fight, she's got one. He stands in a surprisingly well trained stance, as if he is a moderately good fistfighter, but his build, although fit from hard labor, doesn't suggest that he's a warrior. It seems the fire in his eyes has gone out as well, replaced with something else, a seeming dark hunger.

My Nexus characters

15. - Top - End - #75

Woah, dude, slow down, just a bit of good natured- Violet begins to say, before siezing the barstool behind her and swinging it around in an arc to collide with the farmhand's torso. Whether it connects or not she lets it go and springs backward out of her stool, leaving the spear sitting against the bar. She has a wild smile on her face, lightly bouncing on the balls of her feet.

In the back of the establishment a dwarf puts a quarter in the jukebox.

Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

The man ducks away from the barstool, then swings at the woman, his arm seeming to extend to cover the distance between them. If the strike connects, she'll find that it's more painful than it should be, and she might feel a lingering headache or wooziness, since it's enhanced with psychic energy.

My Nexus characters

17. - Top - End - #77

Violet moves quickly, ducking inside the strike to lesson the force - or at least that was the idea. Son of a gun that hurt. She grits her teeth through the pain and lashes out with the bottle of beer she's still holding, trying to smash it into the farmhand's side. Got something fancy going on huh?

Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

"You could say that." The bottle hits him, and glass shards dig into his body. He bleeds a red substance, but it doesn't seem to be blood. It's far more viscous and smells strongly of sulphur. Violet will start to feel a presence pulling on her mind, something which can be resisted by sufficient willpower. If she's not strong enough, she will start to have trouble remembering things, mainly in the distant past. She might feel woozy, or get a severe headache as well.

My Nexus characters

19. - Top - End - #79

Violet may not be smart enough to recognise the pulling presence for what it is, but blindly resisting things out of spite is at least 2/3rds of her personality, so the presence will find an unbridled anger blocking it from stealing any memories. Violet is certainly not going to remain still while this is happening - she pulls back with the broken bottle, before lashing out again another couple of times, trying to open up this thing's side even further. Quit messin' with me! She yells angrily, clearly at least aware that the psychic attack is coming from the man in front of her.

Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Ten gold on the farmboy." Offers a figure bundled up in winter coats to the barkeep. "Whatever odds you've got."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

The farmhand smiles eerily, the expression stretching oddly across his face. "Let me think...
    No."
    The psychic force redoubles it's assault. It would be so easy to give in, to let it take what it wants.
    Last edited by bc56; 2018-10-30 at 11:27 AM.

My Nexus characters

22. - Top - End - #82

Heck you! Violet does not say, choosing instead to say something much more vulgar. The presence will find her anger flare up to... almost match it. Edges of her memory start to leak out - an afternoon spent on an alien world under 2 suns with a guy in a leather jacket dropping rocks onto cars on the freeway, a much more exciting evening spent doing unmentionable things in his house, nicking the silverware in the morning before he wakes up - as she lashes out with the bottle again, this time at the farmhand's face. Regardless of whether it hits or not, she'll try and drop her shoulder into him, to push him back (hopefully over a stool or a patron or something, but she isn't picky or really paying attention to the rest of the bar).

Show

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

The farmhand is "bleeding" heavily now, both from the gashes in his side and face. "Stop that! That actually hurts!" He yells with force, but he's toppled over the stool he was using earlier. The psychic force abruptly ends, interrupted by the rough fall. "Stay put!" he shouts, and a new force assaults Violet, one attempting to lock her joints and bind her in place.

My Nexus characters

24. - Top - End - #84

Say uncle! Say it! She yells, tearing her leg forward against the pressure to move toward him. Her movements are janky and slow as she fights against the psychic assault. Friggin' with my brain ain't gonna stop me! She yells, partially for her own sake - her resistance to the psychic assault flares up as she yells it.

Show

25. - Top - End - #85
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Come on, kid! You can't give up that easy!" Cheers the spectator.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

The so-called farmhand doesn't reply, instead lunging at Violet while she's vulnerable and slowed down, grabbing at her throat.

My Nexus characters

27. - Top - End - #87

Violet is grabbed, choking out a swear word as the hand closes around her neck. Her eyes are full of fury and she manages to lash out underhanded with her bottle, trying to further open up his torso. Don't know when to stay down, do you? She hisses through the choke.

Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

"Funny, I could stay the same for you." He takes the hit, and his grip loosens for just a moment before tightening again, but that time might just be enough for Violet to escape.

My Nexus characters

29. - Top - End - #89

Violet wrenches herself backwards as soon as she feels his grip start to loosen even slightly, stumbling backwards into the bar. She grabs another barstool and tries to smash it into the side of this "farmhand". Why did everyone here have to be weird.

Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Oliver walks in smiling. Well, he was. The second he saw what was going on his mouth dropped open and his eyes went wide. Now, he's not so vain as to be surprised there's a fight. Instead, he's surprised that it broke out before he got there. That'd never happened before.

"Um..." He carefully skirts his way around the fight to the bar. "Can I, uh, get a bottle of whiskey? Preferably one that's on the heavier side, even without liquid in it. Oh, and enough shot glasses to hold all the whiskey in the bottle."
    Last edited by CosmicHobbit; 2018-11-03 at 05:20 PM.
    After 2 years of silence, I reappear!

Place your bets now, how long until I disappear again