New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: No matter how many people he/she kills, the people still loves him/her

Even Elan is smarter than Thog!!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: No matter how many people he/she kills, the people still loves him/her

Quote Originally Posted by hroþila View Post
    In Thog's case that usually came as "he's not smart enough to be Evil, this is just Nale's influence". For other characters, the rationalizations are different and often more bewildering.
    Quote Originally Posted by wumpus View Post
    There's the official giant word that sufficiently young children should be assumed non-evil (at least in his comic strip they always default good unless the author goes out of the way to specify the child is evil*). The question is if Thog's childish traits include innocence: read enough strips and this should be obvious, but the giant doesn't appear to feel the need to make this explicit often.
    People tend to see Thog as not-evil for reasons that I see as totally understandable, insofar as he apparently has the intellect of either an infant or intellectually handicapped person and we don't generally hold either infants or the intellectually handicapped as responsible for criminal behaviour. Quoting D&D rules about minimum int scores doesn't really counter this intuitive real-world standard.

He is also, within the context of in-group interactions, unfailingly positive and obliging, and much more evidently loyal to his 'friends' than, say, early-strip Belkar. (Noticeably, the number of people he randomly butchers during his time spent with Elan is zero.) I'll allow that under the rules he probably racks up plenty of 'evil points', but I think one can make an entirely plausible case that Thog, if transplanted to a different peer group, would turn around relatively quickly.
    Give directly to the extreme poor.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    People tend to see Thog as not-evil for reasons that I see as totally understandable, insofar as he apparently has the intellect of either an infant or intellectually handicapped person and we don't generally hold either infants or the intellectually handicapped as responsible for criminal behaviour. Quoting D&D rules about minimum int scores doesn't really counter this intuitive real-world standard.

He is also, within the context of in-group interactions, unfailingly positive and obliging, and much more evidently loyal to his 'friends' than, say, early-strip Belkar. (Noticeably, the number of people he randomly butchers during his time spent with Elan is zero.) I'll allow that under the rules he probably racks up plenty of 'evil points', but I think one can make an entirely plausible case that Thog, if transplanted to a different peer group, would turn around relatively quickly.
    I mean...I know you explicitly told me not to do this, but, by definition, a creature with an INT above 3 is able to comprehend morality enough to have an alignment, period.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Colossus in the Playground

People tend to see Thog as not-evil for reasons that I see as totally understandable, insofar as he apparently has the intellect of either an infant or intellectually handicapped person and we don't generally hold either infants or the intellectually handicapped as responsible for criminal behaviour.
    The Giant has made it clear that Thog is not "intellectually handicapped" - just "fantasy dumb" - low intelligence, but not to the point of disability:

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I don't consider any of the characters in the entire comic to be "mentally handicapped." Thog is not smart compared to Roy, but he does not have an atypical neurology. He is capable of determining right from wrong, and chooses wrong consistently. I know people like to project this idea onto Thog that he's not responsible for his actions because he's dumb, but…he is responsible. We know he is because the orcs on the island are the same as him and don't murder people just for fun.

In D&D terms, anyone who has an Intelligence of 3 or higher is capable of determining right from wrong (because they have an alignment); speak, read, and write a language fluently; and generally looking after themselves on a daily basis while adventuring in a dangerous dungeon. This does not describe most real-world people with mental handicaps (to my knowledge). Which means the bulk of the spectrum of mental handicaps probably sits somewhere below 3 and above 2, because it's a system designed for action-adventure and it doesn't need more granularity than that. It doesn't want to have the conversation, and honestly, in this case, I'm inclined to agree. D&D is a system that only describes people within a certain range of mental ability, and OOTS follows suit.

If I was depicting Thog (or anyone else) as displaying behaviors and attitudes common among actual mentally disabled people and then mocking them, you would certainly have a point. I don't think I am. Thog is "fantasy dumb." It's a trope of the genre that I'm using, not a reflection of the real world. I know everyone loves to repeat that line I said about the only worthwhile part of fantasy being what it tells us about the real world, but that doesn't need to apply to every single part of the entire story. Sometimes, you have to sell the rest of the fantasy world straight in order to highlight the things you want to talk about. The "barbarians are stupid" cliché falls into that category for me.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-09-13 at 06:37 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Noticeably, the number of people he randomly butchers during his time spent with Elan is zero.
    It was neither random nor successful, but I think this makes it pretty clear that Thog is evil.
    I'll allow that under the rules he probably racks up plenty of 'evil points', but I think one can make an entirely plausible case that Thog, if transplanted to a different peer group, would turn around relatively quickly.
    But he isn't in a different group. He might become good under some circumstances but this is true of most evil characters in this comic.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    The Giant has made it clear that Thog is not "intellectually handicapped" - just "fantasy dumb" - low intelligence, but not to the point of disability:
    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    I mean...I know you explicitly told me not to do this, but, by definition, a creature with an INT above 3 is able to comprehend morality enough to have an alignment, period.
    My point is that from the perspective of a casual observer who associates a particular use of language and lack of foresight with mental disability, identifying Thog as mentally disabled is a completely understandable impression, and it's not fair to blame readers for that.

I know what the rules say, and I know what the author has said on the subject. You know what else D&D rules have to say? All black dragons are chaotic evil, and so are most goblin toddlers. Have fun with your selective ethical standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    It was neither random nor successful, but I think this makes it pretty clear that Thog is evil.
    I'm not disputing that Thog is evil-by-the-rules, but he gives the impression of essentially being a huge angry baby that just wants the other kids to play with him. Basically, if the author is gonna go out of his way to make Belkar into a potential fixer-upper, it is not unreasonable to look at other characters with a certain amount of empathy, given their relative starting points.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not disputing that Thog is evil-by-the-rules, but he gives the impression of essentially being a huge angry baby that just wants the other kids to play with him. Basically, if the author is gonna go out of his way to make Belkar into a potential fixer-upper, it is not unreasonable to look at other characters with a certain amount of empathy, given their relative starting points.
    He wants friends, true. But he clearly understands that people don't enjoy suffering an it amuses him to inflict it on them (except on his friends). Of all the evil characters in the comics he is one of the most redeemable, but that doesn't make him something else than evil.

Nobody said you couldn't empathize with him. Empathy isn't reserved to some people and not others that's kind of the point.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

8. - Top - End - #68

You know what else D&D rules have to say? All black dragons are chaotic evil, and so are most goblin toddlers.
    Nope to both of those. The MM specifically makes it clear that beings that are "born evil" have "Always Evil" in their statblock. Similar for "born (some other alignment)".

Goblins have "usually X alignment" in their statblock (X, in this case, being NE).

Nowhere in "D&D rules" is it stated "Most goblin toddlers are evil".

The MM also states that even "Always Evil" creatures have rare exceptions, so, not all black dragons are CE.

My point is that from the perspective of a casual observer who associates a particular use of language and lack of foresight with mental disability, identifying Thog as mentally disabled is a completely understandable impression, and it's not fair to blame readers for that.
    A case could be made that these "casual observers" jump to conclusions - assuming disability when the assumption is unwarranted, and where stupidity (or just lack of education) is a valid explanation.

As pointed out, the island orcs also talk like Thog:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0552.html

And the strip where Thog commits his first on-screen murder, is called "Stupid isn't always Cute" not "Disabled isn't always Cute" or "Childish isn't always Cute"

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0051.html
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-09-13 at 07:44 AM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Of all possible descriptors for Thog that come to mind, "angry" wouldn't come to mind at all is what I'm trying to say with questionable eloquence here.
    ungelic is us

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

People tend to see Thog as not-evil for reasons that I see as totally understandable, insofar as he apparently has the intellect of either an infant or intellectually handicapped person and we don't generally hold either infants or the intellectually handicapped as responsible for criminal behaviour.
    Even if you want to go with this argument, if an infant or intellectually handicapped person kept murdering people with an axe, said person would not be free to keep on keeping on, regardless of culpability. Such a person would be moved to a facility capable of restraining them, because something would clearly be not right.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-09-13 at 09:10 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

11. - Top - End - #71

Thog's fear of "cooties" might be an indication of him having "the mindset of a 12 year old" but not of an infant.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Thog's fear of "cooties" might be an indication of him having "the mindset of a 12 year old" but not of an infant.
    More like an 8 year old, really.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

13. - Top - End - #73

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    More like an 8 year old, really.
    Any age slightly before adolescence works, though the trope is associated with age 10 or less - "under 11". The point being that it's not "infancy" - Thog is no overgrown baby or overgrown toddler.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-09-13 at 08:13 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74

I've been, for a while, somewhat puzzled by the implication that Thog is responsible for the people he kills unthinkingly, but Elan is not responsible for killing everyone left in the dungeon.

(I think Elan would happily confirm, if you asked him, that he understands that no one enjoys being blown up. If you then tried to connect it to anything he ever did, he'd call you a meanie-face.

In fairness, may not apply to post-Empire-of-Blood Elan, a mere 900 strips after Elan was introduced.)
    Last edited by Kish; 2018-09-13 at 08:56 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I've been, for a while, somewhat puzzled by the implication that Thog is responsible for the people he kills unthinkingly, but Elan is not responsible for killing everyone left in the dungeon.

(I think Elan would happily confirm, if you asked him, that he understands that no one enjoys being blown up. If you then tried to connect it to anything he ever did, he'd call you a meanie-face.

In fairness, may not apply to post-Empire-of-Blood Elan, a mere 900 strips after Elan was introduced.)
    Well, to me, the distinction isn't about responsibility, it's about intention and potential for growth.

Thog is an idiot who legitimately enjoys killing and hurting people. His idiocy is irrelevant to his sadism and malice. Elan is an idiot whose actions frequently endangered others, though often not intentionally or he expressed remorse afterwards.

So, yes, Elan is responsible for the things he's done that have gotten people hurt or killed. But I'm sure he's done a lot less of them than Thog, and he's certainly never malicious about it. Now that might reasonably not make a difference to you, but it does to me (and I'd assume many other people).

Also, probably some handwave about how the Dungeon was only filled with monsters or evil people. Which has some unfortunate implications, but basically everything in the dungeon had been trying to kill them so...

16. - Top - End - #76

Roy does say "You're lucky no-one got hurt" (in the explosion)

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0120.html

which may imply that, at least at the time, he didn't see any remaining dungeon monsters as "people".

Even during the trial, nobody's arguing that a bunch of creatures in the dungeon died unnecessarily - only that the gate destruction is dangerous to the universe as a whole.

During the trial, their main defence is "Had the gate not been destroyed, Redcloak might have come back and seized it".

Quote Originally Posted by Rrmcklin View Post
    basically everything in the dungeon had been trying to kill them so...
    And the most notable exception, the flumphs - leave once it's possible to do so - and as a result, don't die - though they do get a bit squashed by Roy and Elan.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-09-13 at 09:45 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Banned

basically everything in the dungeon had been trying to kill them so...
    Welcome, righteous warriors. . .

Edit: it seems Hamishspence and I have different ideas about the "most notable exception." Which is good, because it means there is more than one.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2018-09-13 at 09:50 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post

Edit: it seems Hamishspence and I have different ideas about the "most notable exception." Which is good, because it means there is more than one.
    One of those "other exceptions" turned out to be Evil (with Good being "just a phase he was going through"), betrayed them, and then probably died after that fall when informing Xykon of the Order's plans:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0112.html

The other guy, we don't know his fate.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0101.html

He may have realised that by helping the Order against Xykon, he'd made things extremely dangerous for himself - and gotten out.
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Welcome, righteous warriors. . .
    "Most notable exceptions still alive and in the dungeon shortly before the fight with Xykon" was what I was thinking of. The Earth and Fire fey were both dead, and Celia had left, by then.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-09-13 at 09:58 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79

I think Elan would feel pretty bad if he came to know that he accidentally killed people by blowing up the dungeon. It's just that this was never seriously discussed, I think. Logically, there ought to be someone else in the dungeon when it collapsed. I don't think the Giant discussed this, or did he? Maybe everyone - including the characters - just never thought this through?
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

*Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Belkar basically massacred these surrendered goblins and no one said or do anything about it.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

I mean, it's not like they didn't murder a lot of those monsters anyway.

22. - Top - End - #82

There's a difference between "Oh look, another room full of hostile goblins! Attack!" and "I have no idea what's on the several levels of this dungeon I never even set foot on, but I'm going to assume it's chock-full of legitimate targets, with no more random nonevil creatures like the flumphs, and no more of Dorukan's employees still around. Boom!"

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

There's a difference between "Oh look, another room full of hostile goblins! Attack!" and "I have no idea what's on the several levels of this dungeon I never even set foot on, but I'm going to assume it's chock-full of legitimate targets, with no more random nonevil creatures like the flumphs, and no more of Dorukan's employees still around. Boom!"
    Fair point. Still, while that would probably cause a blip on the Malv-o-Meter, given Elan's generally behavior otherwise, I don't think it'd be enough for an Alignment shift.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymosy View Post
    I think Elan would feel pretty bad if he came to know that he accidentally killed people by blowing up the dungeon. It's just that this was never seriously discussed, I think. Logically, there ought to be someone else in the dungeon when it collapsed. I don't think the Giant discussed this, or did he? Maybe everyone - including the characters - just never thought this through?
    Given that they took a shortcut to get to Xykon's room by the gate (what gate? ) it is fair to assume that a variety of sentient creatures were still stumbling around in the areas of the dungeon that the Order had bypassed.
    Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Belkar basically massacred these surrendered goblins and no one said or do anything about it.
    Belkar killing things is his MO. For over 600 strips. It's what he does, it's all he does. (Terminator reference). There is nothing ambiguous about the blood on his hands. In one of the commentaries (OoTPC I think) Rich remarked that he was not going to delve into Belkar's childhood/troubled childhood/how he got that way since he wasn't interested in trying to open the door to a justification of Belkar's generic murderhobo persona. He needed that lead sheet vs Miko's Detect Evil attempts for a good and sufficient reason.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2018-09-13 at 01:46 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

While large numbers of lower CR creatures can be turned into a high CR encounter, 8 is the maximum level difference accounted for in the XP chart.
    No! Large numbers of low CR creatures can make a single high EL encounter. You don't add or combine CRs to make a CR. Encounters have an "Encounter Level" (EL) not a CR.

Claiming that you combine CRs is exactly how people miss the reason that Belkar gets no XP for the hobgoblins.

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    I presume you're referring to Belkar and Azure City here? He surely got XP for that encounter. The individual goblins and hobgoblins were below his XP threshold, but the encounter as a whole was threatening - look how beaten-up he was at the end.

And he got RP XP for declaring himself a Sexy Shoe-less God of War!
    The encounter as a whole only gives RP XP, because the individual creatures are what you check on the XP chart. The XP chart uses CR, not EL. If he got any XP, it was EXACTLY the RP XP for declaring himself a Sexy Shoe-less God of War.

In the usual case, you would usually get similar results by giving XP for EL rather than CR. But hordes of low level opponents are one of the exceptions, and they specifically call that one out as not worth any XP unless something makes it worth a Role-playing Reward due to special circumstances.

Seriously, there's this long section in the rules discussing CR and EL, and they never combine lots of low CR to make a high CR, and the XP table uses CR not EL. There are (non-core) rules for combining lots of creatures into a single horde using that as a high CR monster, but there's never any requirement to use those rules, they're not core or SRD, and AFAIK they've never been mentioned in the comic and there's no sign that Rich was using them in that scene.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Belkar killing things is his MO. For over 600 strips. It's what he does, it's all he does. (Terminator reference). There is nothing ambiguous about the blood on his hands.
    I was talking about how no one did anything to prevent him from killing those goblins and said nothing to him.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Thog is an idiot who legitimately enjoys killing and hurting people. His idiocy is irrelevant to his sadism and malice. Elan is an idiot whose actions frequently endangered others, though often not intentionally or he expressed remorse afterwards.
    Roy does say "You're lucky no-one got hurt" (in the explosion)... ...And the most notable exception, the flumphs - leave once it's possible to do so - and as a result, don't die - though they do get a bit squashed by Roy and Elan.
    The intro pages to Paladin Blues describe Redcloak as 'the lone goblin who survived the dungeon of dorukan'. If no non-evil creatures died as a result of blowing up the gate it would frankly be such a miracle of contrivance that it hardly counts in Elan's favour anyway.

I'm not 100% clear that Thog does show clear signs of proactive sadism? I mean, you can see him smiling with satisfaction after/during hurting folk in various panels, but so do roy and haley.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Even if you want to go with this argument, if an infant or intellectually handicapped person kept murdering people with an axe, said person would not be free to keep on keeping on, regardless of culpability. Such a person would be moved to a facility capable of restraining them, because something would clearly be not right.
    Oh, I agree completely. Whether Thog (or Elan) is malicious is quite secondary to the question of whether they're dangerous, and I am firmly of the opinion that you don't try to rehabilitate someone in the middle of a potentially lethal dungeon while trying to fight world-ending threats. That, you leave to the grown-ups.

Another case that probably bears inspection here is the MitD. He doesn't seem obviously stupider than Thog, and while he doesn't do much to help Xykon/Redcloak, he also did very little to stop them engaging in all manner of awful crimes for a number of years. Is he supposed to be 'a good man' or not?

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    In one of the commentaries (OoTPC I think) Rich remarked that he was not going to delve into Belkar's childhood/troubled childhood/how he got that way since he wasn't interested in trying to open the door to a justification of Belkar's generic murderhobo persona. He needed that lead sheet vs Miko's Detect Evil attempts for a good and sufficient reason.
    I don't have the commentaries but read (possibly quoted/misquoted) that Rich wasn't interested in telling Belkar's origin story in that it would be entirely unfunny, depressing, and could possibly make Belkar a sympathetic figure, which wasn't what he was supposed to be at all.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

The intro pages to Paladin Blues describe Redcloak as 'the lone goblin who survived the dungeon of dorukan'. If no non-evil creatures died as a result of blowing up the gate it would frankly be such a miracle of contrivance that it hardly counts in Elan's favour anyway.

I'm not 100% clear that Thog does show clear signs of proactive sadism? I mean, you can see him smiling with satisfaction after/during hurting folk in various panels, but so do roy and haley.

Oh, I agree completely. Whether Thog (or Elan) is malicious is quite secondary to the question of whether they're dangerous, and I am firmly of the opinion that you don't try to rehabilitate someone in the middle of a potentially lethal dungeon while trying to fight world-ending threats. That, you leave to the grown-ups.

Another case that probably bears inspection here is the MitD. He doesn't seem obviously stupider than Thog, and while he doesn't do much to help Xykon/Redcloak, he also did very little to stop them engaging in all manner of awful crimes for a number of years. Is he supposed to be 'a good man' or not?
    A. Thog has actively stated his love of boredom-driven rampages and went along with Nale's plan to kill a massive amount of people solely as bait.
    B. The MITD is a fundamentally good being, just one who has had the misfortune of being surrounded by bad influences since he was, functionally, a child. If I had to peg his alignment, i'd put him as True Neutral. He's not done anything particular Good, yet, but neither has he done much Evl so far as we can tell. If he is guilty, it is only of inaction. As far as I believe, in D&D, you need to actually DO Good/Evil things to tip the scales.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    A. Thog has actively stated his love of boredom-driven rampages and went along with Nale's plan to kill a massive amount of people solely as bait.
    Look at those poor little fellas! They're all tuckered out. :P

If [the MitD] is guilty, it is only of inaction.
    Now hang on a second. Is the MitD or is the MitD not intelligent enough to realise that what Xykon and Redcloak regularly do is very wrong? And if he does know this, is doing little or nothing to stop them particularly consistent with caring what happens to other people?