New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default D&D Powers in the real world: Level 20 Monk

Same as the other two threads, this one's exploring the class that is the most-derided of the core base classes around here, yet which designers insist has "something to look forward to" at every level!

You wake up tomorrow with your idealized build for a level 20 monk (all 20 levels, but using any archetypes or ACFs you like), with gear that matches your WBL. As usual, please avoid "WBL-mancy" that would make your class irrelevant, but feel free to optimize. I leave this largely to your judgment; this is meant as a fun mental exercise, not a game balance thing.

What do you do with your monkly powers? How do they change your life? Do you seek new career opportunities, as people have with professional team sports or not-quite-gladiatorial sports (e.g. boxing) with the Barbarian and Fighter? Do you go into politics with your skill selection? (The rage-on-stage politician still amuses the heck out of me.) Do any of the class features of the level 20 monk suddenly seem much more desirable when you have them in the real world?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: D&D Powers in the real world: Level 20 Monk

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Do any of the class features of the level 20 monk suddenly seem much more desirable when you have them in the real world?
    Not getting weaker with age and being immune to disease and poison would be pretty cool. Speaking every language would also be awesome.

I think I would become the guy Steven Seagal pretends to be, i.e this action star who is also a zen master-like martial artist, former navy seal and CIA operative.

Win a bunch of gold medals and championship belts in several martial arts, join the army and put all of those immunities, enhanced speed and darkvision to use, move on to the CIA exploiting Tongue of the Sun and Moon, and good sense motive/diplomacy checks before becoming a action star who does amazing stunts (finally an use for slow fall!).

I might even become a polititian later, just to be the ultimate 80's action star. Timeless Body, Diamond Body and Purity of Body, combined with the fact the I wouldn't need to sleep would guarantee a long and productive life.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

First it's time to go be the ufc champ, get some money, actually beat Mayweather, you know fun stuff.
    We came to wreck everything, and ruin your life.....God sent us.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I could slow fall out of the kitchen window to pick up my newspaper every morning. Saves me a minute walking down the stairs. Profit!
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by ExLibrisMortis View Post
    I could slow fall out of the kitchen window to pick up my newspaper every morning. Saves me a minute walking down the stairs. Profit!
    Just don't jump too far out or you might break your legs.

Monk actually gets some stuff that is useless crap in D&D and pretty sweet in real life, like agelessness and tongues. Needs some sort of real immortality to go with the agelessness though, or it won't do you that much good. You're also pretty fast, so you don't miss the bus as often.
    Known among friends as "Ogres"

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    ...so as we can see, no internal consistency from WotC (unsurprising).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Two words, for anyone who's seen kill bill: Pai Mei.

Spoiler
    Show
    Although without the susceptibility to poison
    Last edited by paddyfool; 2018-08-21 at 12:51 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Well, first off, I'd probably be making use of Carmendine Monk to allow for a high Int score for more skill ranks.
    Max ranks in Jump, the bonus to Jump from high base movement speed, and Slow Fall Any Distance, combined with Abundant Step 1/d and Martial Study (Tiger Claw) for Sudden Leap means we're pretty mobile. We could probably pull off a super hero/villain routine if we wanted using relevant skill tricks. Your punch can hit harder than some d20 modern guns.
    Immunities are really nice. The DR 10/magic from Perfect Self is relevant in the real world.
    Perform as a class skill means we could pull off being a great actor/poet/whatever, and Timeless Body + Perfect Self mean we're quasi-immortal and look the same (great) for a long time.
    Diplomacy at max ranks is similarly frightening in the real world.
    Quivering Palm is messed up IRL. Strike someone for non-lethal damage ("High-five, bro!") and kill them a week later when you're on the other side of the world; no one can beat you save DC.

After thinking about it for a while, I'd want to turn into a world class scam artist with 20th monk powers. Normally, the alignment restriction would mean I can't, but I'd want to be a chaos monk for this reason.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Become Iron Fist, protector of Kun-Lun!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGirl

I would be real thankful for wholeness of body, since DR 10/magic means surgery is probably not an option i do get hurt, and immunity to poison blocks anesthesia. Although i would be curious if modern medicine/science could tell that I'd become an outsider.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Monk? Monk might actually be nice to be. I think it could greatly improve life, and go well with things I'd want to take anyway (like Trollblooded, or hacks for immortality).

Monk might be the only way to make me consider significantly changing my lifestyle, actually. Although... is there an ACF to give them Sense Motive? If not, I may need some custom items before becoming the weirdest gestalt learning machine / civil servant. It's just what I picture these particular skills doing to my mindset, more than what they inherently lend themselves to.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    Just don't jump too far out or you might break your legs.

Monk actually gets some stuff that is useless crap in D&D and pretty sweet in real life, like agelessness and tongues. Needs some sort of real immortality to go with the agelessness though, or it won't do you that much good. You're also pretty fast, so you don't miss the bus as often.
    Elan or warforged, FTW.

Also, I'd minmax the hell out of myself, if only to ensure that I didn't have to worry about things like alien/interplanar invasions and whatnot. I'd definitely be investing in this, for sure. Shapechanging is tasty, regardless of class.

I'd probably also try for a monk/psion combo using Tashalatora and Carmendine Monk. Not like I'd be losing anything from monk, really. If not, ageless immortality via elan would be quite nice, too. Plus, major goodies with psionic feats either way.

Also, martial monk gets me Infinite Deflection and Exceptional Deflection. Yay, blocking bullets! And even missiles!

Hmm. I think some regen would be nice, though I could get that for the cost of a ring. Can we put Troll Blooded on an item?
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2018-08-21 at 09:57 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

SamuraiGuy

QuingGong Monk seems like a no brainer, probably combined with Perfect Scholar. Extra mojo and skill boosts to go with eternal youth and kung-fu.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Finding some way to be an Elan Monk would be ideal. Then I'd go find a way to get some fame under my belt and open a dojo to level other people into becoming monks. I'd probably go carmendine monk for the INT focus and get Kn: Psionics to make sure I learn the ritual for turning others into Elan as well.

With the secret of the ritual necessary to become an Elan on my side, I can make the people important to me immortal too. And I can use my monk training and the ritual to create a cabal of immortal shadow rulers that can lead the earth to peace and prosperity.

Or just use Abundant step to go get friend chicken for dinner.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    Or just use Abundant step to go get friend chicken for dinner.
    Some friend you are.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Some friend you are.
    Isn't autocorrect just the best?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I would take an Int Based Camedine Monk, Diversify my skillset, and most importantly invest full ranks in Profession: "Fight Choreographer", then move to Hollywood, make some money by showing movie stars how it's done, hopefully I get to meet Jackie Chan, I hear he's a really nice guy!
    Last edited by One Step Two; 2018-08-21 at 10:37 PM.
    Longtime lurker, Infrequent poster.

Avalanche in Hell of the Improbability Drive Fan Club

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    What do you do with your monkly powers? How do they change your life? Do you seek new career opportunities, as people have with professional team sports or not-quite-gladiatorial sports (e.g. boxing) with the Barbarian and Fighter?
    Not really. The biggest issues with the other classes was just how hard it was to really branch away from combat. IRL, you'd have to heavily invest in D&D defense as a martial to not get taken down by an army, so realistically you're looking at being Rambo instead of Superman - which can be fun either way, but it's not preferable. Go big or go home, y'know?

Do any of the class features of the level 20 monk suddenly seem much more desirable when you have them in the real world?
    The monk's problem is not and has never been a lack of cool useful abilities. The monk's problem is and has always been that it's not really capable against level-appropriate challenges. It's a frontline warrior that needs four stats, has medium BAB and a d8 HD, and flurry of blows making that BAB even more problematic than it already is. It gains the ability to fall any distance at 20th level instead of 1st like the wizard does, and it gains the ability to speak any language at 17th instead of 1st/3rd like the wizard does. It compares poorly to equal-level classes, even non-casters, and it compares poorly to level-appropriate challenges.

But none of that matters IRL. IRL, being a Monk 20, ACFs or no, archetypes or no, means you have 20d8 HP, are at least 70% more likely to hit than the average person even with FoB active, move three times as fast, jump three times as high/far, are immune to poisons and falling damage, and have lots of useful skills available to you. Sure, you can't max out too many of them, but if you can make moderate investments in a bunch, who cares?

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Being a Monk IRL is significantly nicer than being either a Barb or a Fighter.

AC Bonus: Really awesome because you can get high AC without having to wear armor. It also applies to FF and Touch AC, which is pretty great.

Decisive Strike is nicer than Flurry. It opens the ability to punch through objects without having to spend a feat with Mountain Hammer strike. I can also hit two guys into the next week/life if I so choose.

Unarmed Strike: Similar to AC Bonus, it means you don't have to carry a weapon to be extremely dangerous. Pretty cool.

Feat: Stunning Fist: I'm going traditional. It's a pretty cool ability to have.

(Improved) Evasion: I'm now immune to 95% of explosions. This only gets better with Improved Evasion

Fast Movement +60ft: I'm the fastest guy alive by large margin. I can run at 65km per hour. That's insane for a human.

Feat: Deflect Arrow: Assuming this works for bullets. How awesome it is to catch them midair?

Lay on Hands from Broken One sub level: Much much better than Still Mind, even if I completely dump Charisma (which isn't happening, since WBL is a thing). The sub level also adds some cool skills, especially Survival.

Slow Fall: Can fall from any height as long as there's a wall nearby. Cool.

Purity of Body: 100% amazing. Even with a very high Fort, I don't like the chances of me getting sick.

Shadow Blend from Dark Moon sub level: Invisible if I'm not in daylight? Hells yeah! I can already heal with Lay on Hands anyway.

Abundant Step: Teleport! What's not to like? Sure, it's only 1/day and short distance, but it's freaking teleport!

Quivering Palm: There's actually some utility here if ever want to kill someone on the stealth.

Timeless Body: Have the body of someone in their mid-twenties till I die? Sign me up!

Tongue of the Sun and Moon: Talk to any creature. Not just any one, but any creature! Talk to animals and plants too.

Empty Body: Pretty cool. Nice utility and can be used many times per day.

Perfect Self: Darkvision and no need to eat or sleep. Not only I'm living more because I have immunity to disease, but I don't have to spend 8 hours doing nothing everyday. DR 10/magic is also amazing in a magic-less world.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    Perfect Self: Darkvision and no need to eat or sleep. Not only I'm living more because I have immunity to disease, but I don't have to spend 8 hours doing nothing everyday.
    Nope! You don't get any benefits from being an outsider because you are not an outsider. You're only treated as an outsider for the purposes of magical effects, such as being immune to enlarge person (which is terrible -- or at least, it would be, if you had anyone to buff you up).

But hey! This is the perfect time to invest in UMD and eternal wands! Well, assuming you were no longer immune to one of the best low-level buff spells for a monk, anyway.

In short, monk 20 is a major debuff, with a small consolation of some DR/magic that anyone living in a D&D world will find utterly useless at that level. In our world, it's actually pretty great, considering there is no magic to overcome it, nor are there any spellcasters to cast enlarge person.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2018-08-22 at 12:28 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Looking over the two versions of the base class, the PF monk seems like a significant upgrade without getting into ACFs for the 3.5 monk.

Abundant step is more than 1/day; the DR is 10/chaotic instead of magic; stunning fist can fatigue, sicken, stagger, blind or deafen, or paralyze; other 1/day abilities run off the Monk's ki pool for multiple uses per day. Style feats and archetypes can make the monk more supernaturally useful with quinggong making you able to cast a few interesting spells for ki points.

21. - Top - End - #21

Looking over the two versions of the base class, the PF monk seems like a significant upgrade without getting into ACFs for the 3.5 monk.

Abundant step is more than 1/day; the DR is 10/chaotic instead of magic; stunning fist can fatigue, sicken, stagger, blind or deafen, or paralyze; other 1/day abilities run off the Monk's ki pool for multiple uses per day. Style feats and archetypes can make the monk more supernaturally useful with quinggong making you able to cast a few interesting spells for ki points.
    Yeah, but you have to be Lawful, meaning no chaos monk.

Why can't I be Neutral? Because monks should have Neutral as an option. Nothing about "hitting people with your fist" should require a Lawful outlook.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Yeah, but you have to be Lawful, meaning no chaos monk.

Why can't I be Neutral? Because monks should have Neutral as an option. Nothing about "hitting people with your fist" should require a Lawful outlook.
    People treat lawful like it means you can never jaywalk again. I don't want to get into alignment debates, but I disagree with that assessment. Instead let me assuage your fears by quoting the ex-monks section on the pfsrd:

A monk who becomes nonlawful cannot gain new levels as a monk but retains all monk abilities.
    You're already 20th level, and you lose no class abilities for being nonlawful so just... be non-lawful, there's literally no penalty for you anymore.

23. - Top - End - #23

People treat lawful like it means you can never jaywalk again. I don't want to get into alignment debates, but I disagree with that assessment. Instead let me assuage your fears by quoting the ex-monks section on the pfsrd:

You're already 20th level, and you lose no class abilities for being nonlawful so just... be non-lawful, there's literally no penalty for you anymore.
    Consider me Neutral Good, then -- or True Neutral with Good leanings, at least. Of course, I'd much rather go monk 2/psion 18 with Carmendine Monk and Tashalatora, but...
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2018-08-22 at 08:43 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Consider me Neutral Good, then -- or True Neutral with Good leanings, at least. Of course, I'd much rather go monk 2/psion 18 with Carmendine Monk and Tashalatora, but...
    You can't be that anyway. The OP specifies all 20 of your levels must be monk levels.

25. - Top - End - #25

You can't be that anyway. The OP specifies all 20 of your levels must be monk levels.
    Are there any monk ACFs that grant psionic manifesting in Pathfinder?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Are there any monk ACFs that grant psionic manifesting in Pathfinder?
    Nope, but there is one for initiating.

27. - Top - End - #27

SamuraiGuy

Nope, but there is one for initiating.
    It's a good one too, although barring circumstances like these, I have no idea why you'ld pick it over Steelfist Commando Warlord.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Andor13 View Post
    It's a good one too, although barring circumstances like these, I have no idea why you'ld pick it over Steelfist Commando Warlord.
    It really only bears superficial resemblance to the steelfist commando. Monk of the Silver Fist is actually a tanking archetype, so it has more in common with warders and knight disciples.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A 20th level monk in a non-fantasy world is basically a walking world-class athlete.

Karate-style shops

His fists ignore hardness under 20.
    That means you can punch down walls of steel if need be.
    Flurry of Blows + Power Attack gives you 5 attacks at 2d10+20 damage, meaning you are dealing 155 damage every 6 seconds.
    That's about 5 inches of metal getting destroyed. Give it a minute and a full wall can be down. Most doors simply vanish in a single punch.

Running

When moving, he does it at 90 ft / round, meaning his walking speed is about 16 km/h.
    His running speed is 64 km/h and he can sustain it for hours.
    If you take the feat "Run", that goes up to 80 km/h.
    The world's record for a human is about 44 km/h for a sprint of 100 m.

Swimming

You can do it at half your speed which means about 8 km/h... which is still higher than the world record.
    Taking 10 on that Swim means he succeed always except if in a storm or something.

Jumping

World record for Long Jump is at about 9 meters / 30 ft.
    "If your speed is greater than 30 feet, you gain a +4 bonus for every 10 feet beyond 30 feet."
    Your monk has a speed of 90 ft, which gives him a bonus of +24
    If he got the "Run" feat, he got an additionnal +4
    If he got at least 5 skills in Tumble, that's another +2.
    He already got +30, which is the DC for a 30 feet Long Jump.
    If he got strength bonus and some ranks in Jump, he might even do it without a running start.

World record for a High Jump is at about 2,4 meters / 8 ft.
    Here too, even without any rank in Jump or strength bonus, the monk can just jump higher than said record by virtue of mere speed.
    We'll assume he got at least some ranks and can therefor do it easily.

Climbing

Yeah, without ranks, the monk isn't that great at climbing.
    He can be fast at it, though... and he is very good at falling.
    As long as he got the chance to touch a surface, he can slow his fall so much he got no damage, whatever the height.
    If he doesn't have a surface to touch, he can go etheral for 20 rounds / day, getting the ability to fly and therefor the possibility to get close to a wall.
    If that's not enough, he can teleport once a day using dimensional door with a range of 800 ft.
    And that's still not enough, the fall won't kill him anyway, what with terminal velocity maxing the damage at 20d6.
    He got a damage resistance of 10 and an average of 90 hp without constitution bonus.
    A mere constitution of 12 means he survive the worst of fall, if barely.
    That's were the regeneration from Wholeness of Body kicks in for +40 hp.

He could jump from a plane, land with a bang, get up and start kicking asses if needed

Translation

He can speak with ANY living creature.
    Including animals ? Up to you to decide but given that the druids can...

But even with only humans, he could live anywhere he wants without any communication barriers.
    This, in addition of being über strong, fast, agile and resilient would be more than enough to help him make a living.
    As for greater deeds, it's up to him.

Etheral and teleportation

Already said for the falling part but it's worth repeating :
    That monk can become etheral and fly through walls for about 2 minutes per day.
    He can also teleport to a range of 240 meters.
    That means that he can get through most of the security perimeters.

Now all this is for a naked monk

If we add 760.000 gp of magic items, that monk goes from world-class athlete to super sayan.

A few standard items :
    Ring of Greater Fire Resistance : damage reduction 30 against fire.
    Ring of Animal Friendship : cast charm animal at will... and since the monk can speak with them, that's even better.
    Amulet of Mighty Fists+5 : +5 to attack rolls and to damages of unarmed attacks
    Bracers of Armor+8 : +8 to AC
    Cloak of Resistance+5 : +5 to saves
    Gloves of Dexterity+6 : +6 dexterity and hence +3 to AC and reflex saves
    Belt of giant Strength+6 : +6 strength... and hence +3 to the skill listed above and to damage from unarmed attacks.
    Boots of the Winterlands : just to add some badass to the character... because a hero's wardrobe shouldn't be limited by meteo

That's only a small and modest selection.
    We are not even close to using all the cash.
    But that monk can now walk willingly into burning houses, break anything in his path, save (and heal) some children, jump out (or even teleport) out of the house and all this in less time it would normally take to firemen.

We are already at 2d8+28 for the attack's damage when on Flurry of Blows + Power Attack, meaning an average of 185 damage per round against items, ignoring hardness.
    It might be lower against living creatures because they'll try to dodge or wear protection. It is possible to kill a elephant in a single round, though.
    And that's assuming the monk wouldn't just charm the elephant into doing his biding.

Skills

We spoke of skill ranks earlier.
    Assuming the monk doesn't have lower than 10 in Intelligence, he would have 92 points to allocate, with up to 23 rank in any given class skill.

Balance (Dex) 12 +3 (Gloves of Dexterity) +2 (Tumble)
    Climb (Str) 12 +3 (Belt of giant Strength)
    Jump (Str) 12 +3 (Belt of giant Strength) +2 (Tumble) +4 (Run feat) +24 (Speed)
    Swim (Str) 12 +3 (Belt of giant Strength)
    Tumble (Dex) 12 +3 (Gloves of Dexterity) +2 (Jump)
    Escape Artist (Dex) 12 +3 (Gloves of Dexterity)

Hide (Dex) 5 +3 (Gloves of Dexterity)
    Listen (Wis) 5
    Move Silently (Dex) 5 +3 (Gloves of Dexterity)
    Spot (Wis) 5
    Last edited by Johel; 2018-08-22 at 10:01 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I would go Perfect Scholar Unchained Monk personally. By worshiping Irori and taking Deific Obedience to him I get a base +14 to all Knowledges and the ability to make the checks untrained, so even without any skill ranks invested in them I should be as knowledgeable if not more so than the best in their fields. It also gets me 2 Cure Serious Wounds and 1 Restoration per week as SLA's.

With Ki Powers I can pick up abilities like Air Walk and Dimension Door so I can fly or teleport to get around inconveniences.

Shattering Punch style strike would let me tear through anything in short order by ignoring all DR/Hardness. Flying Kick would allow for some crazy stuff like a 60ft standing vertical leap to kick something overhead.

This is before thinking of spending skill points, feats, or gear.

Kind of hard to think of something in particular to be or do when your chassis makes you an incredible fighter and better at knowledge checks than most people. I guess the answer really is just do whatever I wanted to for as long as I wanted to.