Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 985
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2009

    Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VI: The Undiscovered Detail

    "Gontor" was probably being truthful when he said he wasn't that thirsty anyway, since he presumably got to drink some blood while helping "Durkon" create spawn off-panel. I imagine the line is intended to be interpreted on the first read-through as him being childish.

    "Brother Sandstone" says Master instead of Mistress even though Ponchula sired him and she doesn't seem to be a thrall. So I guess he's also free-willed and respects the church hierarchy. Note that Ponchula calls both Hel and Durkon Boss instead of Mistress or Master like the others.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    elan: dad plz dont kill roy
    tarquin: ok
    Damn it! Now I have to rewrite the script for #917.
    One and the same.

  2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground
     
    The Linker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Almonte, ON, Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VI: The Undiscovered Detail

    Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    "Brother Sandstone" says Master instead of Mistress even though Ponchula sired him
    Remember that the only reason these dwarves are getting up and being vampires immediately, rather than spending some days in the ground, is because of the special spell that was in Malack's staff and is now in Durkula's spell list. He's the only one who can make them become spawn immediately, so I guess he's their master no matter who actually dealt the killing blow.

  3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground
     
    ManuelSacha's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VI: The Undiscovered Detail

    Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    I don't Think I paid any attention to what Mr Scruffy did in the phantasm in the pyramid.
    In the next strip, they even gave him and his last owner a shared gravestone.
    Now... I just noticed Roy gesturing at a different gravestone... whose is it supposed to be?
    When in doubt, set it on fire, right?
    _______________________________________
    Avatar by: gurgleflep

  4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VI: The Undiscovered Detail

    Quote Originally Posted by ManuelSacha View Post
    In the next strip, they even gave him and his last owner a shared gravestone.
    Now... I just noticed Roy gesturing at a different gravestone... whose is it supposed to be?
    I think that's more of a "good riddance" gesture. People don't gesture at graves.

    However I wonder who pictured Durkon being sad because of Belkar's death.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

  5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VI: The Undiscovered Detail

    Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    Remember that the only reason these dwarves are getting up and being vampires immediately, rather than spending some days in the ground, is because of the special spell that was in Malack's staff and is now in Durkula's spell list. He's the only one who can make them become spawn immediately, so I guess he's their master no matter who actually dealt the killing blow.
    If Alexandra the CEO hires me and Bob in HR expedites the paperwork so I can start earlier than normal, Alexandra is still my boss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I think that's more of a "good riddance" gesture.
    It definitely is.
    Cuthalion's avatars rock. Like this very fine dragon he made me.

  6. - Top - End - #96
    Orc in the Playground
     
    ManuelSacha's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VI: The Undiscovered Detail

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    However I wonder who pictured Durkon being sad because of Belkar's death.
    Probably Elan.
    When in doubt, set it on fire, right?
    _______________________________________
    Avatar by: gurgleflep

  7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2009

    Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VI: The Undiscovered Detail

    I just realized Belkar is paler from #879 through #939. Likewise Elan is paler in Panel 7 and Panel 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    Remember that the only reason these dwarves are getting up and being vampires immediately, rather than spending some days in the ground, is because of the special spell that was in Malack's staff and is now in Durkula's spell list. He's the only one who can make them become spawn immediately, so I guess he's their master no matter who actually dealt the killing blow.
    I see it as basically a rapid aging spell so I don't think it would disrupt the enslavement aspect, though I suppose Malack could've actually made the spell to make sure his spawn's spawn directly obey him upon rising.

    But the first panels of #1087 and #1124 make me think it was the 2 female vampires who cast all the quick-rising spells anyway.
    Last edited by Gift Jeraff; 2018-09-15 at 09:48 PM.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    elan: dad plz dont kill roy
    tarquin: ok
    Damn it! Now I have to rewrite the script for #917.
    One and the same.

  8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VI: The Undiscovered Detail

    By the spell creation rules, once a cleric learns a spell not on the cleric list, their deity immediately learns it as well, and can hand it out to all their clerics as per usual.

    Really, the spell creation rules only work for wizards, but everyone else gets shoved in.

    I was looking over the old calendars to admire Rich's art, and noticed something new with May 2014. In the mini-comics on the dates page, Scruffinator is demolishing a Miko doll.

  9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    bc56's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VI: The Undiscovered Detail

    In #741, the poster appears to show Roy being cut in half by Thog (or rather, someone in Thog's armor.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

    I do not "ninja."
    I pirate.
    Yarr!

    Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

  10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VI: The Undiscovered Detail

    I always knew "Why, is it a hat?" was a reference to what happened to "Brainy Pete," but I only just realized it's yet another indicator that Celia can't stop thinking about Haley's haircut.

  11. - Top - End - #101
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VI: The Undiscovered Detail

    In #468, panel 21, Haley has a visible tattoo. I wonder if this is the same tattoo she tried to mention in 309 (panel 9)?
    This signature was written by me, Aveline, to indicate that this message was written by me, Aveline.

  12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground
     
    martianmister's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Turkey
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VI: The Undiscovered Detail

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    However I wonder who pictured Durkon being sad because of Belkar's death.
    Is he looking sad? I don't think so.
    Spoiler
    Show

  13. - Top - End - #103
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Mar 2014

    Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VI: The Undiscovered Detail

    I had noticed Before that Wrecan's shield is decorated with four red dots, making it look like a big button.
    However, I hadn't really considered that it might be a symbol of the Church of Marduk, representing Marduk's four red Eyes.

    Yes, this is Another cross-pollination with the Trivia thread. I chose 993 because it both shows the shield (when Wrecan climbs down the ladder) and mentions the Church of Marduk.

  14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VI: The Undiscovered Detail

    Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    I had noticed Before that Wrecan's shield is decorated with four red dots, making it look like a big button.
    However, I hadn't really considered that it might be a symbol of the Church of Marduk, representing Marduk's four red Eyes.

    Yes, this is Another cross-pollination with the Trivia thread. I chose 993 because it both shows the shield (when Wrecan climbs down the ladder) and mentions the Church of Marduk.
    Heh, and in 993 I just realized that the jelly sandwich Elan packs for Roy might have actually proven pretty useful if he'd had to stay at the Moot while he waited for Dvalin's vote. (Panel 8 of each comic)

  15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground
     
    jwhouk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Arizona USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VI: The Undiscovered Detail

    I just noticed that in 567 the Oracle clarified Belkar's question - and it was at that point that I realized it hasn't quite come true yet.

    He did, in fact, cause Roy, Miko, and Miko's horse to die. He obviously killed the Kobold Oracle. That leaves one person he hasn't killed yet:

    Vaarsuvius.
    "Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
    Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.

  16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VI: The Undiscovered Detail

    Quote Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
    He did, in fact, cause Roy, Miko, and Miko's horse to die.
    No he did not. Roy died from hitting the ground after losing a fight with an epic lich. Miko's horse is not dead. Miko died in an explosion caused by her own misguided zeal. It takes a massive amount of ad-hoc contorsionism of "chain of causation" that you then arbitrarily cut off when Belkar is mentioned to blame Belkar for any of that.

    Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey Wolf. They've probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  17. - Top - End - #107
    Orc in the Playground
     
    jwhouk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Arizona USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VI: The Undiscovered Detail

    I'm talking about what the oracle said. The only one he (the kobold) didn't mention was himself (until after he got stabby-stabbed), and Vaarsuvius.

    V is the only one he didn't try to chain into blaming Belkar for their death.
    "Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
    Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.

  18. - Top - End - #108
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ElfRogueGirl

    Join Date
    Jun 2018

    Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VI: The Undiscovered Detail

    Quote Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
    I'm talking about what the oracle said. The only one he (the kobold) didn't mention was himself (until after he got stabby-stabbed), and Vaarsuvius.

    V is the only one he didn't try to chain into blaming Belkar for their death.
    Belkar's question was "Do I get to kill any of these people later?", not "Do I get to kill all those people later?" The Oracle's answer was "Yes" because Belkar would kill him, the Oracle, later on. When he 'clarified' his answer before getting killed by Belkar, it was his attempts to make Belkar not kill him by convincing him the prophecy had come true. We can know this to be true because his last words before falling over are "I wasn't buying that either", meaning he knew his explanations were half-assed and would never have worked.
    So obviously he wouldn't mention V since V was still alive (were V to be dead, he would have tried to pretend Belkar was responsible for their death as well).

  19. - Top - End - #109
    Orc in the Playground
     
    jwhouk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Arizona USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VI: The Undiscovered Detail

    What I'd suggest is that it'd be a fantastic double-bluff on the kobold's (and by extension the Giant's) part if Belkar did indeed cause V's direct demise.
    "Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
    Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.

  20. - Top - End - #110
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ElfRogueGirl

    Join Date
    Jun 2018

    Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VI: The Undiscovered Detail

    Quote Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
    What I'd suggest is that it'd be a fantastic double-bluff on the kobold's (and by extension the Giant's) part if Belkar did indeed cause V's direct demise.
    It is a definite possibility, but considering Belkar didn't have anything to do with Miko's death and that Windstriker is obviously not dead, any relation with V's potential future death feels like it would be purely coincidental.
    (Plus he could have just said "You haven't killed V yet, have you?" if that was going to come up.)
    Last edited by Resileaf; 2018-09-19 at 12:48 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VI: The Undiscovered Detail

    Quote Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
    What I'd suggest is that it'd be a fantastic double-bluff on the kobold's (and by extension the Giant's) part if Belkar did indeed cause V's direct demise.
    Why? He didn't cause Roy's, Mikos, or Windstrikers direct demise.
    Cuthalion's avatars rock. Like this very fine dragon he made me.

  22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    ClericGirl

    Join Date
    Jun 2018

    Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VI: The Undiscovered Detail

    Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    In #741, the poster appears to show Roy being cut in half by Thog (or rather, someone in Thog's armor.
    And I just realized that Belkar forshadows killing Greg in that same strip!

  23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VI: The Undiscovered Detail

    Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Belkar's question was "Do I get to kill any of these people later?", not "Do I get to kill all those people later?" The Oracle's answer was "Yes" because Belkar would kill him, the Oracle, later on. When he 'clarified' his answer before getting killed by Belkar, it was his attempts to make Belkar not kill him by convincing him the prophecy had come true. We can know this to be true because his last words before falling over are "I wasn't buying that either", meaning he knew his explanations were half-assed and would never have worked.
    So obviously he wouldn't mention V since V was still alive (were V to be dead, he would have tried to pretend Belkar was responsible for their death as well).
    Well, the question was "do I get to 'cause the death'" of any of the following, not "kill" them.

    And the Oracle starts to mention V ("And as for the elf...") but Belkar cuts him off.

  24. - Top - End - #114
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ElfRogueGirl

    Join Date
    Jun 2018

    Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VI: The Undiscovered Detail

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Well, the question was "do I get to 'cause the death'" of any of the following, not "kill" them.

    And the Oracle starts to mention V ("And as for the elf...") but Belkar cuts him off.
    I mean, if he had a good case for V because Belkar does cause their death later on, I would imagine that the Oracle would have started off with V. XD

  25. - Top - End - #115
    Orc in the Playground
     
    jwhouk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Arizona USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VI: The Undiscovered Detail

    Of course, a butterfly flapping its wings in the woods probably caused the death of all the Azurites in the battle of Azure City.
    "Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
    Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.

  26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VI: The Undiscovered Detail

    Given the increasingly lame definitions of "death" and the "Darth Vaarsuvius" reference in-comic bringing shades of another infamously lame definition of death, my headcanon has always been that "as for the elf-" would have ended in a reference to V taking the deal with the IFCC in some way being Belkar's fault.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.


    Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

  27. - Top - End - #117
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VI: The Undiscovered Detail

    Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    The gladiator who hated Belkar was named Evisceratus. There were also two gladiators named Notseenicus and Offpanelio

    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0782.html
    And Vermilius and Ceruleous, making round 1 Red vs Blue and describing their armour

  28. - Top - End - #118
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VI: The Undiscovered Detail

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    EDIT: I have a vague impression I've missed a reference to American college football but I have no idea which strip except it would have been a conversation between Roy and Eugene.
    "How can you halve time itself?"?

  29. - Top - End - #119
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    hamishspence's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007

    Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VI: The Undiscovered Detail

    Soccer has the same "halftime" thing, and as I recall, it was Roy's school soccer match that Eugene missed, with a point being made of his lack of knowledge of its rules.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

  30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Lord Torath's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sharangar's Revenge
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VI: The Undiscovered Detail

    Quote Originally Posted by blunk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Soccer has the same "halftime" thing, and as I recall, it was Roy's school soccer match that Eugene missed, with a point being made of his lack of knowledge of its rules.
    Basketball also has Halftime.

    You know, Eugene's not too far off in page 2 panel 3: While Roy waits for Durkon to collect the seven magical spheres Roy's body and 10,000 gp worth of diamonds, he gets to train with a secret martial arts master who "lives" in the afterlife, learning a secret maneuver.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2018-09-21 at 08:44 AM.
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •