New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VI: The Undiscovered Detail

"Gontor" was probably being truthful when he said he wasn't that thirsty anyway, since he presumably got to drink some blood while helping "Durkon" create spawn off-panel. I imagine the line is intended to be interpreted on the first read-through as him being childish.

"Brother Sandstone" says Master instead of Mistress even though Ponchula sired him and she doesn't seem to be a thrall. So I guess he's also free-willed and respects the church hierarchy. Note that Ponchula calls both Hel and Durkon Boss instead of Mistress or Master like the others.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    "Brother Sandstone" says Master instead of Mistress even though Ponchula sired him
    Remember that the only reason these dwarves are getting up and being vampires immediately, rather than spending some days in the ground, is because of the special spell that was in Malack's staff and is now in Durkula's spell list. He's the only one who can make them become spawn immediately, so I guess he's their master no matter who actually dealt the killing blow.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    I don't Think I paid any attention to what Mr Scruffy did in the phantasm in the pyramid.
    In the next strip, they even gave him and his last owner a shared gravestone.
    Now... I just noticed Roy gesturing at a different gravestone... whose is it supposed to be?
    When in doubt, set it on fire, right?

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ManuelSacha View Post
    In the next strip, they even gave him and his last owner a shared gravestone.
    Now... I just noticed Roy gesturing at a different gravestone... whose is it supposed to be?
    I think that's more of a "good riddance" gesture. People don't gesture at graves.

However I wonder who pictured Durkon being sad because of Belkar's death.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    Remember that the only reason these dwarves are getting up and being vampires immediately, rather than spending some days in the ground, is because of the special spell that was in Malack's staff and is now in Durkula's spell list. He's the only one who can make them become spawn immediately, so I guess he's their master no matter who actually dealt the killing blow.
    If Alexandra the CEO hires me and Bob in HR expedites the paperwork so I can start earlier than normal, Alexandra is still my boss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I think that's more of a "good riddance" gesture.
    It definitely is.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #96
    Orc in the Playground

Probably Elan.
    When in doubt, set it on fire, right?

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

I just realized Belkar is paler from #879 through #939. Likewise Elan is paler in Panel 7 and Panel 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    I see it as basically a rapid aging spell so I don't think it would disrupt the enslavement aspect, though I suppose Malack could've actually made the spell to make sure his spawn's spawn directly obey him upon rising.

But the first panels of #1087 and #1124 make me think it was the 2 female vampires who cast all the quick-rising spells anyway.
    Last edited by Gift Jeraff; 2018-09-15 at 09:48 PM.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

8. - Top - End - #98

By the spell creation rules, once a cleric learns a spell not on the cleric list, their deity immediately learns it as well, and can hand it out to all their clerics as per usual.

Really, the spell creation rules only work for wizards, but everyone else gets shoved in.

I was looking over the old calendars to admire Rich's art, and noticed something new with May 2014. In the mini-comics on the dates page, Scruffinator is demolishing a Miko doll.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

In #741, the poster appears to show Roy being cut in half by Thog (or rather, someone in Thog's armor.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

I always knew "Why, is it a hat?" was a reference to what happened to "Brainy Pete," but I only just realized it's yet another indicator that Celia can't stop thinking about Haley's haircut.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

In #468, panel 21, Haley has a visible tattoo. I wonder if this is the same tattoo she tried to mention in 309 (panel 9)?
    This signature was written by me, Aveline, to indicate that this message was written by me, Aveline.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Is he looking sad? I don't think so.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103

Flumph

I had noticed Before that Wrecan's shield is decorated with four red dots, making it look like a big button.
    However, I hadn't really considered that it might be a symbol of the Church of Marduk, representing Marduk's four red Eyes.

Yes, this is Another cross-pollination with the Trivia thread. I chose 993 because it both shows the shield (when Wrecan climbs down the ladder) and mentions the Church of Marduk.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    I had noticed Before that Wrecan's shield is decorated with four red dots, making it look like a big button.
    However, I hadn't really considered that it might be a symbol of the Church of Marduk, representing Marduk's four red Eyes.

Yes, this is Another cross-pollination with the Trivia thread. I chose 993 because it both shows the shield (when Wrecan climbs down the ladder) and mentions the Church of Marduk.
    Heh, and in 993 I just realized that the jelly sandwich Elan packs for Roy might have actually proven pretty useful if he'd had to stay at the Moot while he waited for Dvalin's vote. (Panel 8 of each comic)

15. - Top - End - #105

I just noticed that in 567 the Oracle clarified Belkar's question - and it was at that point that I realized it hasn't quite come true yet.

He did, in fact, cause Roy, Miko, and Miko's horse to die. He obviously killed the Kobold Oracle. That leaves one person he hasn't killed yet:

Vaarsuvius.
    "Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
    Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
    He did, in fact, cause Roy, Miko, and Miko's horse to die.
    No he did not. Roy died from hitting the ground after losing a fight with an epic lich. Miko's horse is not dead. Miko died in an explosion caused by her own misguided zeal. It takes a massive amount of ad-hoc contorsionism of "chain of causation" that you then arbitrarily cut off when Belkar is mentioned to blame Belkar for any of that.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

17. - Top - End - #107

I'm talking about what the oracle said. The only one he (the kobold) didn't mention was himself (until after he got stabby-stabbed), and Vaarsuvius.

V is the only one he didn't try to chain into blaming Belkar for their death.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I'm talking about what the oracle said. The only one he (the kobold) didn't mention was himself (until after he got stabby-stabbed), and Vaarsuvius.

V is the only one he didn't try to chain into blaming Belkar for their death.
    Belkar's question was "Do I get to kill any of these people later?", not "Do I get to kill all those people later?" The Oracle's answer was "Yes" because Belkar would kill him, the Oracle, later on. When he 'clarified' his answer before getting killed by Belkar, it was his attempts to make Belkar not kill him by convincing him the prophecy had come true. We can know this to be true because his last words before falling over are "I wasn't buying that either", meaning he knew his explanations were half-assed and would never have worked.
    So obviously he wouldn't mention V since V was still alive (were V to be dead, he would have tried to pretend Belkar was responsible for their death as well).

19. - Top - End - #109

What I'd suggest is that it'd be a fantastic double-bluff on the kobold's (and by extension the Giant's) part if Belkar did indeed cause V's direct demise.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

What I'd suggest is that it'd be a fantastic double-bluff on the kobold's (and by extension the Giant's) part if Belkar did indeed cause V's direct demise.
    It is a definite possibility, but considering Belkar didn't have anything to do with Miko's death and that Windstriker is obviously not dead, any relation with V's potential future death feels like it would be purely coincidental.
    (Plus he could have just said "You haven't killed V yet, have you?" if that was going to come up.)
    Last edited by Resileaf; 2018-09-19 at 12:48 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Why? He didn't cause Roy's, Mikos, or Windstrikers direct demise.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    In #741, the poster appears to show Roy being cut in half by Thog (or rather, someone in Thog's armor.
    And I just realized that Belkar forshadows killing Greg in that same strip!

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Belkar's question was "Do I get to kill any of these people later?", not "Do I get to kill all those people later?" The Oracle's answer was "Yes" because Belkar would kill him, the Oracle, later on. When he 'clarified' his answer before getting killed by Belkar, it was his attempts to make Belkar not kill him by convincing him the prophecy had come true. We can know this to be true because his last words before falling over are "I wasn't buying that either", meaning he knew his explanations were half-assed and would never have worked.
    So obviously he wouldn't mention V since V was still alive (were V to be dead, he would have tried to pretend Belkar was responsible for their death as well).
    Well, the question was "do I get to 'cause the death'" of any of the following, not "kill" them.

And the Oracle starts to mention V ("And as for the elf...") but Belkar cuts him off.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Well, the question was "do I get to 'cause the death'" of any of the following, not "kill" them.

And the Oracle starts to mention V ("And as for the elf...") but Belkar cuts him off.
    I mean, if he had a good case for V because Belkar does cause their death later on, I would imagine that the Oracle would have started off with V. XD

25. - Top - End - #115

Of course, a butterfly flapping its wings in the woods probably caused the death of all the Azurites in the battle of Azure City.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Given the increasingly lame definitions of "death" and the "Darth Vaarsuvius" reference in-comic bringing shades of another infamously lame definition of death, my headcanon has always been that "as for the elf-" would have ended in a reference to V taking the deal with the IFCC in some way being Belkar's fault.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    The gladiator who hated Belkar was named Evisceratus. There were also two gladiators named Notseenicus and Offpanelio

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0782.html
    And Vermilius and Ceruleous, making round 1 Red vs Blue and describing their armour

28. - Top - End - #118

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    EDIT: I have a vague impression I've missed a reference to American college football but I have no idea which strip except it would have been a conversation between Roy and Eugene.
    "How can you halve time itself?"?

29. - Top - End - #119
    Colossus in the Playground

Soccer has the same "halftime" thing, and as I recall, it was Roy's school soccer match that Eugene missed, with a point being made of his lack of knowledge of its rules.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by blunk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Soccer has the same "halftime" thing, and as I recall, it was Roy's school soccer match that Eugene missed, with a point being made of his lack of knowledge of its rules.
    Basketball also has Halftime.

You know, Eugene's not too far off in page 2 panel 3: While Roy waits for Durkon to collect the seven magical spheres Roy's body and 10,000 gp worth of diamonds, he gets to train with a secret martial arts master who "lives" in the afterlife, learning a secret maneuver.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2018-09-21 at 08:44 AM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season