New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VI: The Undiscovered Detail

It's an interesting timing that Roy failed to notice an anime reference just after his father's failure to notice a sports reference.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I just noticed Hel had longer hair before she made the bet.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #123

That's because she keeps ripping it out when Uncle Thor wins another soul through dubious technicality.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Since the High Priest of Thrym is a half-giant, he lacks the elemental speech balloons that true giants have.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    However I try to maintain a geeklist of references to games in OOTS and this one comes in as the seventh.
    Just a heads up that the Final Fantasy references in #388 are all specifically to Final Fantasy VI, and it's not limited to those few panels--Elan's whole outfit from that strip onward and the design of the Mechane are also references to FF6 (source: W&XP commentary).
    Last edited by Gift Jeraff; 2018-09-21 at 09:56 PM.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

The High Priestess of Odin can channel her Lord without having an aura and without any noticeable "Zot".
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

When Roy jumps off the balcony to confront Durkon during the Godsmoot, everyone in the room is looking in his direction except for the High Priestess of Hodor (who is blind, like her god) and the representative from the Southern Pantheon, who is apparently distracted by Veldrina's pointing.

Also in the previous strip, all twelve of the Twelve Gods' high priests send up a 'communication beam', probably representing how they work in harmony rather than having a defined hierarchy, while all of the votes of Western pantheon channel their power through the cleric in the center (presumably Marduk's high priest), reflecting how Marduk is the top god of that pantheon.
    My Homebrew
    Healer: Pathfinder remake of the 3.5 class of the same name. Light, restoration, and more positive energy effects than you can shake a cleric at.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ElFi View Post
    When Roy jumps off the balcony to confront Durkon during the Godsmoot, everyone in the room is looking in his direction except for the High Priestess of Hodor (who is blind, like her god) and the representative from the Southern Pantheon, who is apparently distracted by Veldrina's pointing.
    Most of the priesthood of Hodor wear blindfolds to emulate their god, rather than actually being blind:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0984.html

- but yes, that's a good point. And it's certainly plausible that the High Priestess is blind for real, since she doesn't have the blindfold. Especially since she's seen earlier with white eyes:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0997.html
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-09-25 at 01:10 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

8. - Top - End - #128
    Bugbear in the Playground

Also in the previous strip, all twelve of the Twelve Gods' high priests send up a 'communication beam', probably representing how they work in harmony rather than having a defined hierarchy, while all of the votes of Western pantheon channel their power through the cleric in the center (presumably Marduk's high priest), reflecting how Marduk is the top god of that pantheon.
    I wouldn't say it's undiscovered for me, but I love how Veldrina goes from not having the foggiest why she went through so much effort to even get there, to "voting" for the destruction of the world. I guess it's plot significant even rather than a mere detail since Wrecan deduces something from it.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

9. - Top - End - #129

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    I wouldn't say it's undiscovered for me, but I love how Veldrina goes from not having the foggiest why she went through so much effort to even get there, to "voting" for the destruction of the world. I guess it's plot significant even rather than a mere detail since Wrecan deduces something from it.
    Come again?

Veldrina doesn't vote. She conveys the vote of the Western Pantheon--without having any control over the process at all. What are you saying Wrecan deduces as a result (of what?).

10. - Top - End - #130

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Most of the priesthood of Hodor wear blindfolds to emulate their god, rather than actually being blind:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0984.html

- but yes, that's a good point. And it's certainly plausible that the High Priestess is blind for real, since she doesn't have the blindfold. Especially since she's seen earlier with white eyes:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0997.html
    I'm aware of that tradition, but yeah the white eyes (which you can see much more clearly in panel 5 of this strip) and lack of blindfold make it seem like kind of a giveaway for me. Plus, it's a nice bit of narrative ribbon that the strongest representative of a blind god is also blind herself. And now that I'm looking at that flashback panel, you can also see Heimdall and Mani's high priests waiting outside.

Another thing about the Godsmoot vote strip in #999- the cutaway to the Southern Pantheon is, I think, the only time we've ever seen a ratfolk in any form in the comic.
    My Homebrew
    Healer: Pathfinder remake of the 3.5 class of the same name. Light, restoration, and more positive energy effects than you can shake a cleric at.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

I'm aware of that tradition, but yeah the white eyes (which you can see much more clearly in panel 5 of this strip) and lack of blindfold make it seem like kind of a giveaway for me. Plus, it's a nice bit of narrative ribbon that the strongest representative of a blind god is also blind herself.
    You'll notice that Odin's high priestess is one-eyed and Tyr's high priest is one-handed. It looks like ritual mutilation as a show of faith is a thing in the Northern Clergies.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2018-09-25 at 12:23 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    You'll notice that Odin's high priestess is one-eyed and Tyr's high priest is one-handed. It looks like ritual mutilation as a show of faith is a thing in the Northern Clergies.
    This being D&D, said mutilation is probably a pre-requisite for a feat or perk associated with the worship. E.g. "Odin's vision" "You gain at-will "see future" power. Prerequisite: Worship Odin. Have only one eye". Or even, a consequence of getting it: "You gain at-will "see future" power, but one of your eyes goes blind. Prerequisite: Worship Odin".

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-09-25 at 12:27 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    This being D&D, said mutilation is probably a pre-requisite for a feat or perk associated with the worship. E.g. "Odin's vision" "You gain at-will "see future" power. Prerequisite: Worship Odin. Have only one eye". Or even, a consequence of getting it: "You gain at-will "see future" power, but one of your eyes goes blind. Prerequisite: Worship Odin".

Grey Wolf
    That can't be true. If it was, the Lady of Odin would obviously have gouged both eyes to have it twice. Obviously.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2018-09-25 at 12:28 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

That can't be true. If it was, the Lady of Odin would obviously have gouged both eyes to have it twice. Obviously.
    I know (hope) you are kidding, but now I wonder what, if anything, you can do with two copies of the same at-will power that you can't do with just the one.

Grey Wolf

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

I know (hope) you are kidding, but now I wonder what, if anything, you can do with two copies of the same at-will power that you can't do with just the one.

Grey Wolf
    Look at two different things at the same time of course! Hey, that's what got Sauron beaten.
    I may enjoy Pete from Darths and Droids too much.

Actually I missed the "at will" in your post, but that's not as fun.
    Forum Wisdom

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Another silly thought: if you are of a sapient species with more than two eyes (say, an Aboleth), and you worship Odin at this level of commitment, do you want to have only one good eye, or only one bad one?

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Another silly thought: if you are of a sapient species with more than two eyes (say, an Aboleth), and you worship Odin at this level of commitment, do you want to have only one good eye, or only one bad one?

Grey Wolf
    This point of contention was the main reason behind the Great Ocular Schism of the Church of Odin in the year 2756 of world 864, 326, 000, 345 . Loki still teases Odin about it sometimes when he's bored.
    Forum Wisdom

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

This point of contention was the main reason behind the Great Ocular Schism of the Church of Odin in the year 2756 of world 864, 326, 000, 345 . Loki still teases Odin about it sometimes when he's bored.
    As it turns out, three worlds later, the schism was instead over whether it should be the top or the bottom eye that was the good one. After that, Odin refused to allow Arboleths worship him.

Grey Wolf

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

As it turns out, three worlds later, the schism was instead over whether it should be the top or the bottom eye that was the good one. After that, Odin refused to allow Arboleths worship him.

Grey Wolf
    Gotta respect a schism that survived two different planets. That's some proper disagreement, right there.
    Forum Wisdom

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

I interpret it as less ritual mutilation and more omeny myself. Like, Hoder's high priestess didn't choose to blind herself in that fashion, but the fact that she went blind (or was born blind) in her particular career meant that she was favored by Hoder, probably in a very literal sense as divine magic would grant her all kinds of workarounds for the whole blind problem.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

An eye patch could just be part of the ritual garments of the High Priest of Odin. It wouldn't be the first time someone wore an eye patch over a perfectly healthy eye.

Here's another example:
    Spoiler: On the Origin of PCs
    Show
    Roy wore one while he was trying to recruit party members.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2018-09-25 at 01:52 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

While that's a possibility, I am skeptical of the idea that a baby was born lacking a hand in the case of Tyr's priest.
    Forum Wisdom

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

While that's a possibility, I am skeptical of the idea that a baby was born lacking a hand in the case of Tyr's priest.
    Plus, you know, if that how the gods show their favour, how do they express their disfavour?
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

24. - Top - End - #144

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Plus, you know, if that how the gods show their favour, how do they express their disfavour?
    I've often observed that Miko appears to have been born superhuman, with Strength and Constitution comparable to Roy's, Dexterity comparable to Haley's, enough Intelligence to make clever tactical plans, enough Charisma to use Lay On Hands, and at least enough Wisdom that Belkar was the one who immediately backed down while she was perfectly willing to compare Wisdom modifiers with someone she had no real reason to think particularly unwise.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I've often observed that Miko appears to have been born superhuman, with Strength and Constitution comparable to Roy's, Dexterity comparable to Haley's, enough Intelligence to make clever tactical plans, enough Charisma to use Lay On Hands, and at least enough Wisdom that Belkar was the one who immediately backed down while she was perfectly willing to compare Wisdom modifiers with someone she had no real reason to think particularly unwise.
    Huh, that would then make sense that she started as a monk, the class that needs nearly every single stat to be high to work out.
    Last edited by Resileaf; 2018-09-25 at 02:19 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    From the Geekery thread:

Str 13+ (required for Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Katana).
    Dex 17+ (required for Improved Two-Weapon Fighting).
    Wis 11+ (required to cast Cure Light Wounds in the Miko fight).
    Cha 12+ (required for Lay On Hands).

No figures given for INT and CON.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Well he probably lost it in some similarly thematic fashion. Sacrificing his hand to help capture a dire wolf or something, thus following in the footsteps of his patron god and showing himself destined to be a great priest.

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Is it worse than the idea that good aligned gods would ask their most faithful to willingly maim themselves? Actually it's probably about the same.
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2018-09-25 at 02:38 PM.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

28. - Top - End - #148

BlueWizardGirl

I just noticed, that in #356, panel 4, Roy makes a direct reference to Hades. My gut says this is just another anachronistic reference to real-world culture, but given the canonical former existence of a god named Hades, might it have a more subtle meaning than that?
    This signature was written by me, Aveline, to indicate that this message was written by me, Aveline.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aveline View Post
    I just noticed, that in #356, panel 4, Roy makes a direct reference to Hades. My gut says this is just another anachronistic reference to real-world culture, but given the canonical former existence of a god named Hades, might it have a more subtle meaning than that?
    Apparently Hades is a plane. Makes sense since the name refers both to the greek god and his domain. It does make you wonder if there is a connection between the two in OOTS...
    Probably not.

The same probably goes for Tartarus.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2018-09-25 at 05:47 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

30. - Top - End - #150
    Bugbear in the Playground

Apparently Hades is a plane. Makes sense since the name refers both to the greek god and his domain. It does make you wonder if there is a connection between the two in OOTS...
    Probably not.

The same probably goes for Tartarus.
    Also relevant: Thrym and Hel comment about how her name is good for puns.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick