New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XCIX: Leakier Than A Changeling Bathtub!

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Over a Barrel. Whatever.
    Speaking of that one though, the end result was much much different. The ponies moved in as colonizers, sure. But they pretty much lost, and ended up paying tribute to the Buffalo in order to stay.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't view Over the Barrel as proving the ponies as conquerors theory, although it strongly implies it.

As I recall, the Appleoosan settlers built their village recently (including growing apple orchards, building houses and running railroad tracks which is impressive). From the My Little Pony Wiki "The episode begins with Twilight Sparkle and her friends on a train to the recently-built western town of Appleloosa."

Between the time that they began building the settlement and shortly before the Mane 6 train ride, there was no interaction between the ponies and the buffalo. Braeburn is aware of the buffalo's demands at the start of the show, but it appears to be a recent problem.

Therefore, at the start of the episode there is no pony conquest since they did not know that another intelligent species lived in the area. After that, there is a fight mainly because of Pinkie Pie but also because the two sides cannot reach an agreement.

After they do find an agreement, both sides live in harmony. There is no conquered or conquered, simply neighbors.

Of course I acknowledge the obvious references to native americans and settlers which supports the conquerors theory, but the actual show actions of the ponies are not in the same league as the settlers.

The other interesting thing from Over a Barrel is that the buffalo seem to have good relations with dragons unlike ponies.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pi Pie View Post
    After they do find an agreement, both sides live in harmony. There is no conquered or conquered, simply neighbors.
    Ugh. Spare me.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think neighbors typically demand a payment of food in return for not burning your house down.

And that's why I say ponies actually lost against the buffalo. A treaty of giving tribute in return for not being killed is not uncommon throughout history, and this looks like a cartoon version of that.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Spamalot in the Playground

I think they saw this on an episode somewhere...
    Spoiler
    Show

I don't view Over the Barrel as proving the ponies as conquerors theory, although it strongly implies it.
    Keep in mind that the buffalo didn't use the land that the pony settlers built their apple orchid on. The buffalo only passed through it on their migration route. It wasn't conquering so much as causing a traffic jam. In a way, it's like the agreement is a reverse turnpike toll.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

6. - Top - End - #426
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Keep in mind that the buffalo didn't use the land that the pony settlers built their apple orchid on. The buffalo only passed through it on their migration route. It wasn't conquering so much as causing a traffic jam. In a way, it's like the agreement is a reverse turnpike toll.
    I remember a part of a fantasy story that might be based on real history.

In the story, it is difficult to get around the fantasy city. Roads bend and twist seemingly randomly or dead end. It is explained that the city started growing around a few main thoroughfares and natural paths formed around the town.

However, as the city grew, land became a premium. Afterwards, some building would start to encroach on the roads. If the situation became too bad, the local townsfolk would burn or tear down the offending structure, and a new natural path would form. Some particularly wealthy individuals would start building a large mansion in the middle of a busy street and pay to have security. With the road clogged, other building would be destroyed to create new roads. Over hundreds of years of growth and destruction, the city grew into a confusing mess for anyone not familiar with the area.

For the case of Appleoosa, the buffalo have the path that they like but are willing to accept payment in return for not threatening the town.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

This is too great not to share. Michelle Creber and Claire Corlett have outdone themselves this time.

The Q&A short film
    The first chapter of The Book of Svarog

“Everything has its time and everything dies.” ~ The Doctor (Doctor Who)

“The facts of nature are settled within the field of human argument.” ~ The Golem- What Everyone Should Know about Science by Harry Collins and Trevor Pinch.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toastkart View Post
    This is too great not to share. Michelle Creber and Claire Corlett have outdone themselves this time.

The Q&A short film
    Pahahahahahahahahaha!

They really have.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Holiday Special (they should really air these in December...)
    Show
    I forgot this was airing, so I missed the first third. I'll have to search the internet for it, because this was really good! Lots of adorable moments, and some really funny ones (Twinannas!). Wish we saw more of Shining and Cadance in the show; there's a lot of possibility there that we never get to see.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Holiday Special
    Show
    I thought this was pretty cute, especially the scenes with all the other characters celebrating in their own ways at the end. The standout parts for me were seeing Cadance and Shining Armor interact with Twilight (showing that her family is completely used to her breakdowns) and Discord's interactions with Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

11. - Top - End - #431
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    Show
    (showing that her family is completely used to her breakdowns).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hurrah for Flanderization.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2018-10-27 at 04:20 PM.

12. - Top - End - #432

Best part of it was Shining Armor and Cadence crushing on each other. But I am considering how to stat up that pudding.

13. - Top - End - #433

Quote Originally Posted by Adderbane View Post
    Spoiler: Holiday Special (they should really air these in December...)
    Show
    I forgot this was airing, so I missed the first third. I'll have to search the internet for it, because this was really good! Lots of adorable moments, and some really funny ones (Twinannas!). Wish we saw more of Shining and Cadance in the show; there's a lot of possibility there that we never get to see.
    Show
    Also, Cadance and Shining showing off a bit fighting the pudding. ;)

Discord had a pretty ingenious plan for Dash to get Flutters the best gift. That was clever, sealed with the hilarious raising of Fluttershy on the pedestal at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    Show
    I thought this was pretty cute, especially the scenes with all the other characters celebrating in their own ways at the end. The standout parts for me were seeing Cadance and Shining Armor interact with Twilight (showing that her family is completely used to her breakdowns) and Discord's interactions with Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy.
    Show
    There were a TON of background references here. Have to rewatch to catch them all; Uncle buck, Charlie Brown's Christmas tree, a few characters from other movies... I should have take notes. Oh, there was at the beginning Marble Pie shying away from Big Mac when he was with Sugar Belle. Poor Marble.

Also, Twilight's "PUUUUDING" face is totally an intentional meme.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hurrah for Flanderization.
    Show
    Eh, this is Twilight. Breakdowns are kinda her default mode under stress.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2018-10-28 at 09:32 AM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

14. - Top - End - #434
    Banned

Show
    Eh, this is Twilight. Breakdowns are kinda her default mode under stress.
    Spoiler: The Best Gift Ever
    Show
    Er, no. This is called out as specifically a "holiday meltdown." But we've had several Hearth's Warming episodes before and not a hint or inkling of this behavior. It's Flanderization. Pure and simple.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2018-10-28 at 11:38 AM.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Such a lot of unpack! I think they rather outdid themselves!

Two minutes into the opening song and Marble cringes when she sees Mac and fillyfriend. Ahahaha! Shots fired!

DERPY!!!

Camoes, so many cameos!

Discord and RD...

Shiny, Caddy and Princess of Destruction (seriously, she IS!)

Twilinanas is now a Thing.

AJ was on fire in particular.

Spike even got a solo (and don't think I didn't miss that literal spark of stars in Rarity's eyes when he started, either...)

Cracking job, in my opinion.

Show
    Also, Twilight's "PUUUUDING" face is totally an intentional meme.
    Show
    It totally is!
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2018-10-28 at 01:17 PM.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Show
    It totally is!
    Show
    Can we not encourage them, by shunning the memebait?

17. - Top - End - #437

Show
    Er, no. This is called out as specifically a "holiday meltdown." But we've had several Hearth's Warming episodes before and not a hint or inkling of this behavior. It's Flanderization. Pure and simple.
    Show
    Eh, she's had so many meltdowns it's pretty much expected. I give Twilight credit for finding a decent solution that doesn't involve brainwashing or breaking the timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Show
    DERPY!!!

Shiny, Caddy and Princess of Destruction (seriously, she IS!)

AJ was on fire in particular.
    Show
    Is Derpy's voice different here then from the 100th episode? I probably should look it up later. I feel like it's different.

Still haven't learned not to take their eyes off their little spawn too. Heck, Cadance is cradling the sack of flour for a minute and she never notices!

Indeed, she found a clever solution to beating Flim and Flam. Costed her a bit of money though.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

18. - Top - End - #438
    Banned

Show
    Eh, she's had so many meltdowns it's pretty much expected. I give Twilight credit for finding a decent solution that doesn't involve brainwashing or breaking the timeline.
    That, that right there? That's Flanderization.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

How long do we spoiler tag this?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I thought it was cute despite my objections to holiday cheer this early. It's not winter yet. It's not even halloween. It's sure been a long times since I remember Derpy speaking. I'm not sure if looking at that pudding how I'm supposed to feel. I can only imagine it's sweet and minty. Good thing diabetes isn't a thing in Equestria.

I had forgotten Marbles and Big Mac had a ship, Big Mac got shipped around allot. Poor Marbles indeed. Though I kinda suspect the Pie girls back on the farm don't meet many guys and she would have reacted similarly to any stallion coming around. Even Limestone was jealous when she heard Maud had a boyfriend.
    Sparxs Plays: My friend's Youtube gaming channel where you can watch us.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbj...9MQHA/featured

20. - Top - End - #440
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Show
    No no, you're thinking of Starlight. Twilight's the one with the wings.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

21. - Top - End - #441
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show
    Overall, I enjoyed it a lot, but I am also a fan of Christmas themed events and songs.

Also, Flurryheart once again confirmed evil. If she keeps this up, she will be the youngest filly sent to Tartarus.

Going through the timeline, this episode should take place after the end of Season 8, 4+ years after S1E1.
    • S2E11 Hearth's Warming Eve happened in the first year because the second Summer Sun Celebration was S4E1.
    • S5E20 Hearthbreakers is next with the Pies and Apples meeting for the holiday.
    • S6E8 A Hearth's Warming Tail cannot be concurrent with with S5E20 because the Apples are shown in Twilight's Castle on Hearth's Warming Eve.
    • S8E15 The Hearth's Warming Club has the students sharing the holiday with Twilight.
    • Holiday Special is the latest and does not have the students in Twilight's castle. I assume that Cozy Glow was dealt with between S8E15 and this episode.

Of course, there could be other Hearth's Warming Eves not shown.

Also, no one is mentioning the reindeer? We now have another species not formerly known to Equestria. And these three have the power of limited omniscience focused around presents. That kind of power is fairly strong depending on how it is used.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

When did this air?

Better question: Why didn't my VCR record it? When does it air again?
    Last edited by keybounce; 2018-10-28 at 11:28 PM.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    When did this air?

It aired on Saturday.

I don't know when it airs again, but I believe Netflix gets it in November.

24. - Top - End - #444

That, that right there? That's Flanderization.
    Flanderization is taking an inconsequential quirk and making it the character's sole defining trait. Twilight is known for much more than being a stress ball, and we knew she was a worry-wort type from the beginning. But she isn't consistently stressed out, as you pointed out two other holidays she was calm. Another example--the time Zecora was dying/turning into a tree from an illness, Twi was calm about it. It's not flanderization if its not consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadMech View Post
    How long do we spoiler tag this?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I thought it was cute despite my objections to holiday cheer this early. It's not winter yet. It's not even halloween. It's sure been a long times since I remember Derpy speaking. I'm not sure if looking at that pudding how I'm supposed to feel. I can only imagine it's sweet and minty. Good thing diabetes isn't a thing in Equestria.

I had forgotten Marbles and Big Mac had a ship, Big Mac got shipped around allot. Poor Marbles indeed. Though I kinda suspect the Pie girls back on the farm don't meet many guys and she would have reacted similarly to any stallion coming around. Even Limestone was jealous when she heard Maud had a boyfriend.
    Usually until Tuesday.
    Show
    Yeah, this is way early to be airing.

Given all the candy canes and gingerbread sticking out of it, I'd assume the pudding is minty.

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Show
    No no, you're thinking of Starlight. Twilight's the one with the wings.
    Show
    Lesson Zero: Twi uses a Want-It Need-It spell to brainwash Ponyville into desiring a doll so she can solve a friendship problem she created.
    It's About time: Twi decides that the best way to avoid a future disaster is to go search for a spell to stop time. Ends up time-traveling and creating a loop.

There's a reason Twilight is Glimmer's teacher.

Show
    Also, Flurryheart once again confirmed evil. If she keeps this up, she will be the youngest filly sent to Tartarus.

Also, no one is mentioning the reindeer? We now have another species not formerly known to Equestria. And these three have the power of limited omniscience focused around presents. That kind of power is fairly strong depending on how it is used.

Show
    Ponythread always makes me laugh when they're saying kids are evil, as if there is some other kind of kid. Parents know how this is how it really works. ;)

Eh, the comics turned me away from deer types, making them out as the snooty high elf types you see in D&D.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Yeah, this is way early to be airing.

Given all the candy canes and gingerbread sticking out of it, I'd assume the pudding is minty.
    Show
    So the pudding is obsessed with socks for some unfathomable reason?
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Lesson Zero: Twi uses a Want-It Need-It spell to brainwash Ponyville into desiring a doll so she can solve a friendship problem she created.
    It's About time: Twi decides that the best way to avoid a future disaster is to go search for a spell to stop time. Ends up time-traveling and creating a loop.

Show
    Lesson Zero: That happened once, and even Twilight recognized that she messed up almost immediately. Like basically instantly after the CMC started fighting.

It's About Time: A stable loop mind you. Time didn't break at all. Also her efforts to break the loop also likely prevented a disaster considering one of them was returning Cerebus to his post. Not to mention the rest of the stuff.

In comparison Starlight resorts to mind control immediately and at the slightest provocation. And she literally broke the timeline.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

27. - Top - End - #447
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Tracked down and watched the first third of the special: Poor Marble, I wonder if they're setting up for something next season. I also really liked the sequence of Spike running around trying to get Rarity's card was pretty funny in how the rest reacted. I picked up the plot pretty quickly, but seeing how it started makes me appreciate it more.

28. - Top - End - #448

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    When did this air?

About noon Saturday here.

And it wasn't tagged as a regular episode. It was a movie, so you would have had to program it in separately.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Banned

Flanderization is taking an inconsequential quirk and making it the character's sole defining trait. Twilight is known for much more than being a stress ball
    Really? Really?

So we can have someone to blame for the latter's bad habits?
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2018-10-29 at 07:55 PM.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    About noon Saturday here.

And it wasn't tagged as a regular episode. It was a movie, so you would have had to program it in separately.
    Ugh, do I have to resort to a search for "little pony" and hope nothing else gets picked up?
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.