New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1474
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XCIX: Leakier Than A Changeling Bathtub!

On saturday it's episode 200.
    Applejack: I'll need this if I'm going to take her around the mountain another way.

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Banned

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Ettin in the Playground

My opinion on the season premiere and the 3rd episode.
    Spoiler: Spoiler for the first three
    Show
    Was it me or the episodes are not only okay, but also somewhat self-aware of their "okay" nature.
    Even Discord pointed out, how easily he could defeat Sombra if not for deliberate choices.

Edit: Also what do you think about Fiendship is Magic's Sombra?
    Last edited by t209; 2019-04-15 at 06:05 PM.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Edit: Also what do you think about Fiendship is Magic's Sombra?
    Absolute and complete crap and the comic equivilent of a natural one.

The comics are great for the most pasrt but they should absolutely never have been let anywhere NEAR Sombra. Their handling of him was appallingly bad.

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Oh, that's not fair. It's just a tad better than the Siege of the Crystal Empire which it set up. So a natural two, not a one.

Put another way, Sombra's comic fall was better than his comic redemption, which was utter garbage, but with which it should not be entirely conflated.

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post

The comics are great for the most pasrt but they should absolutely never have been let anywhere NEAR Sombra. Their handling of him was appallingly bad.
    I tend to agree here. The comic portrayal of Sombra seemed to be mainly interested in providing excuses for his being evil (he had a horrible foalhood and was really an evil shadow creature and not a pony). I much prefer Sombra as being an unambiguously evil pony with no sad-sack Freudian excuse backstory. Some villains are just evil, and that's all the explanation you need.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

7. - Top - End - #1147
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    I tend to agree here. The comic portrayal of Sombra seemed to be mainly interested in providing excuses for his being evil (he had a horrible foalhood and was really an evil shadow creature and not a pony). I much prefer Sombra as being an unambiguously evil pony with no sad-sack Freudian excuse backstory. Some villains are just evil, and that's all the explanation you need.
    Sombra lacks a cutie mark in the premiere. Just sayin'. He ain't a normal pony.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2019-04-16 at 11:10 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1148

Given the amount of bullying shown in the series towards anypony lacking the mark, I'd say that alone is enough reason for his characterization of burn it all down and rule over the ponies living in the ashes.

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Oh, that's not fair. It's just a tad better than the Siege of the Crystal Empire which it set up. So a natural two, not a one.

Put another way, Sombra's comic fall was better than his comic redemption, which was utter garbage, but with which it should not be entirely conflated.
    The one is inextricably linked to the other, in my head. (Given that I also read them not far apart, because I got the trade for the former on the basis that getting comics is sometime near-impossible nowadays, and why I have basically stopped aside from the main pony comic.)

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    Yes, the comic handling of him was atrocious. And I can't help but notice out of all the other villains? Sombra was the most pony-like. And I thought "yeah, that's not displaced humanocentrism at work at all is it?"

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Ettin in the Playground

Still, current Sombra wasn't as powerful or evil as his first portrayal....aside from his "haha, slaves". But he did enslaved an entire kingdom, Mane Six nearly losing the battle if it not for Spike, and alternate history version managing to turn entire Equestria into warzone.
    Even if it was self-aware.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Banned

Still, current Sombra wasn't as powerful or evil as his first portrayal...
    That is purely a matter of presentation. Sombra in this appearance succeeded more than he did in his first, and demonstrated feats of power that he did not in his first appearance.

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Spamalot in the Playground

Sombra in this appearance succeeded more than he did in his first, and demonstrated feats of power that he did not in his first appearance.
    Like speaking in complete sentences.

But seriously, I think he was stronger now then back in season 3. Still nothing compared to the power of friendship between a group of students though.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Titan in the Playground

As a bit of a break from HoI4, I decided to play another game of X-Com. Damn, I'd forgotten how little customisation 1 gave you by comparison to 2. Also, not using ponies dramatically reduced the obvious colour-scheme variety...

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    But seriously, I think he was stronger now then back in season 3. Still nothing compared to the power of friendship between a group of students though.
    The S3 story is an odd balance between strength and tactics. He very nearly wins with just the precautions he took against the Crystal Heart back in the day. If Spike hadn't been with Twilight they would probably have lost - Twilight would have been delayed too long by the trap at the top of the tower or simply defeated by the portal.

The story is a race between Sombra regaining his senses and powers after his imprisonment, and the Main 6 trying to find a way to deal with him before he grows too strong to beat. The trouble is that we see too much of the animilistic Sombra, we don't see how much he recovers when he regains physical form, and don't really see much of what he was like before.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    The S3 story is an odd balance between strength and tactics. He very nearly wins with just the precautions he took against the Crystal Heart back in the day. If Spike hadn't been with Twilight they would probably have lost - Twilight would have been delayed too long by the trap at the top of the tower or simply defeated by the portal.

The story is a race between Sombra regaining his senses and powers after his imprisonment, and the Main 6 trying to find a way to deal with him before he grows too strong to beat. The trouble is that we see too much of the animilistic Sombra, we don't see how much he recovers when he regains physical form, and don't really see much of what he was like before.
    And that's why I was expecting/hoping for a sort of chess-master, Thrawn-ish Sombra, but that might have been a step too far,

But what we got was one that I really can't complain about, not at all - he had the right level of of credible threat. (So much so that Harmony BLEW HIM UP (AGAIN) rather than just banish him to Tarterus or something, which shows you ho seriously he had to be taken. (As if if straight-up murdering the Magic Tree wasn't a clue!)

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Even Discord pointed out, how easily he could defeat Sombra if not for deliberate choices.
    That actually seemed a bit too comically obvious to me. He's effortlessly finger-snapping every attack Sombra makes into butterflies or other harmless nonsense, and then suddenly has to bodily intercept - and be meaningfully harmed by - an attack just because it's specifically aimed at Fluttershy? Not buying it.

It's kind of reasonable for the Mane 6 to believe it in the moment, though, and Sombra still being an immediate threat meant they couldn't afford to spend time calling Discord's bluff unless they were really certain about it.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

17. - Top - End - #1157
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    *snip*
    Actually, you raise an interesting point. It's all very neat to say that Discord doesn't solve the ponies' problems because he wants to see them do it themselves. But why does he want that?

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, you raise an interesting point. It's all very neat to say that Discord doesn't solve the ponies' problems because he wants to see them do it themselves. But why does he want that?
    Because he knows what he would do to solve it, and that's what would happen if he interfered. He wants the unexpected, so he refuses to help in order to watch what they come up.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Colossus in the Playground

Discord is primarily motivated by his own desire for entertainment.

Over time he's increasingly come to value his pony friends, but at the end of the day if Discord solves it himself with a snap of his nigh-omnipotent fingers it's boring.

Furthermore: Discord is old, powerful. He may act childishly bu he's not stupid.

If he solves everyone's problems, then everyone gets dependant on him.

After three defeats, getting sick of the wurm's sneeze, and IIRC he was proven susceptible to anti-magic effects, he should know that he's not invincible.

If his new friends get reliant on him, then he runs into something that can stop him, then he's they're screwed.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #1160
    Titan in the Playground

And, of course, there is always the issue that one should never actually SAY how close on is to being beaten, of course.

It is entirely possible that Discord might NOT have been able to keep shrugging off Sombra's attacks forever, but he would never want to have to admit to that. Better to pretend to be an ultimate chess master than admit that most of the genius plans are a combination of forethought and the ability to seemlessly switch gears and adapt to useful (or detrimental) happenestance, while presenting the image that it was your plan all along.

Palpatine once once described by someone who said he was the master of plan B. I can relate to that; the amount of stuff over the years as DM, say, (let alone command of Bleak Despair) that has had something set up only to neatly fall into place years later form something I'd not considered at the time is staggering.

21. - Top - End - #1161
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Because he knows what he would do to solve it, and that's what would happen if he interfered. He wants the unexpected, so he refuses to help in order to watch what they come up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Discord is primarily motivated by his own desire for entertainment.

Over time he's increasingly come to value his pony friends, but at the end of the day if Discord solves it himself with a snap of his nigh-omnipotent fingers it's boring.

Furthermore: Discord is old, powerful. He may act childishly bu he's not stupid.

If he solves everyone's problems, then everyone gets dependant on him.

After three defeats, getting sick of the wurm's sneeze, and IIRC he was proven susceptible to anti-magic effects, he should know that he's not invincible.

If his new friends get reliant on him, then he runs into something that can stop him, then he's they're screwed.
    Both of these are consistent with being okay with any outcome - with the ponies' success or failure. But Discord says he is invested in showing Twilight that she could be "the incredible leader I know you can be." Why does he want that specifically?

22. - Top - End - #1162

Both of these are consistent with being okay with any outcome - with the ponies' success or failure. But Discord says he is invested in showing Twilight that she could be "the incredible leader I know you can be." Why does he want that specifically?
    He's come to value her as a friend.

Part of being friends is wanting your friends to be successful.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #1163
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    He's come to value her as a friend.

Part of being friends is wanting your friends to be successful.
    Since when? You'd think something like that would be the focus of an episode or season.

24. - Top - End - #1164

Since when? You'd think something like that would be the focus of an episode or season.
    There have been several episodes focusing on Discord's growing friendship with the Mane 6, Twilight in particular--remember discord faking an Illness to see if Twilight considered him a friend?

And Twilight insisting on discord's release with "all my friends" even after discord was manipulated into betraying Equestria--with that being the incident that got the final key from to the Box of Harmony?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Ogre in the Playground

I've had a theory for a while as to why Discord seems so fixated on Twilight; Twilight bested him at his own game, something not even Celestia and Luna were able to accomplish. True, Celestia and Luna defeated Discord, but they were only able to do so by bringing in the Elements of Harmony, which, based on the scene Twilight saw, it doesn't appear Discord had been aware of. In Twilight's case, however, she played the game according to Discord's rules and won anyway on the power of friendship, and in doing so I think Twilight earned his respect.
    Which Discord shows by teaching her in the most trolling way possible because Discord.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Show

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I think I finally worked out why the printer has been playing me up gor the last few weeks - since the last time I looked at it (when the mess started), it looks like one of the fans has gone. It wasn't until today that my suspicions started again, when it crapped out in the last five minutes of or of the 2 1/2 hour Phystyulon print I was doing and knackered it up - just like when we very first started (because one of the fans was in the wrong way around).

So that's tomorrow's job, dismantle and see if we can get a new fan. (If I'm lucky, we might just get it before my working week starts up again (which will probably be Wednesday to be fair...))

In the meantime, for a bit of creator's block, I sat down to deal with one nagging loose end that's been bugging for years - our Dark Fear Destroyer. One of the first 10th generation (i.e current) ships to be started on, it's only just NOW coming into production finally. (Bearing in mind that the first 10th generation ships were rolling out in the mid 1990s. So yes, it took longer than Duke Nuken Forever...) Hell, we've had second-wave ships (like dear old Wrathfire) gone through design to production to getting to Bleak Despair's sector fleet (we're quite low on the totem pole, honestly) before the Dark Fear. But it was just one of those things where nothing ever seemed to work quite right and nobody could ever quite settle on what they wanted it to do. I couldn't even try modelling it for years, because it's had like, what, fourteen? Seventeen? Or something major re-designs before the final one.

And, with grand irony, all the faffing about and re-designing and confusion about what it should be doing? By the time they'd got it settled and working properly - with some slightly more modern tech and a little Aotrs ingenunity, I understand - all that paid off in typical Aotrs fashion. So the Dark Fears are coming out with, like, four variants with different weapon load-outs (coldbeams like the Shadowfangs on sterioids, other coldbeams, warheads, bolts...) It's not actually modular or anything, but it's close.

So there is now a running joke that the Dark Fear is now the bus of the fleet; you wait twenty years for one to come along, and then there's bloody four of them turn up at once.

Unlife is stranger than fiction...
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2019-04-19 at 04:52 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1167

Everything is stranger than fiction. Including fiction, some months.

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Barbarian in the Playground

The official MLP Youtube channel has released a behind the scenes video for episode 200. Warning it is full of spoilers likely including the episode's ending scene.

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Spamotron View Post
    The official MLP Youtube channel has released a behind the scenes video for episode 200. Warning it is full of spoilers likely including the episode's ending scene.
    Spoiler: Twilight's Seven
    Show
    Really selling Twilight as a leader, there, staff. Being eminently predictable (it's not a matter of the siblings knowing each other, either; she can't do anything with her knowledge of Shining Armor), once again giving up at the first sign of adversity, and needing to outsource planning - of all things - to Rarity.

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: S9, E4
    Show
    I have remarkably little to say about this episode. I thought it was alright, I certainly liked it better than the previous episode, but for a 200th episode special they had been hyping since the season was announced I found myself a little underwhelmed. I think part of the issue is that the whole Ocean's 11-style heist plot would have worked better if they had just stuck to Twilight's original plan from the start; you'd have given the heist hi-jinks more time to play out, and you wouldn't have even needed to change anything about the ending with Spike and Luna, since that hinged on Twilight's original plan anyway. Adding the separate non-plans to the mix just cluttered the narrative.

That being said, I did like the ending, especially the bit with Spike being officially recognized by Twilight and Shining Armor as the younger brother of the group. the only thing that could possibly top that were the strained 'let's not fight in public' interactions between Luna and Celestia. Overall, I'd probably give this episode a B, not the best the show's produced but still enjoyable.

My Homebrew

Show