New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default PC Friendly Goblin Subraces

Started this over in the 5e forum but figured it should really be here.

I am building a goblin focused campaign to run in the near future and I want all of the PCs to be goblins. In order to still offer some choices and not shoehorn everyone into the same thing, I've come up with a number of goblin subraces to offer them. I'm looking for any constructive feedback on their playability and balance.

Spoiler: Change Log
    Show
    Version 1.1
    • Added +2 Con increase to common traits
    • Changed Greenskin abilities to +1 Str
    • Changed Gremlin abilities to +1 Int
    • Changed Spriggan abilities to +1 Dex
    • Changed Boggart abilities to +1 Wis
    • Changed Trow abilities to +1 Cha
    • Lowered Boggart swim speed to 20ft
    • Removed Boggart resistance to poision

Version 1.2
    • Changed common racial ability from Con to Dex
    • Changed Greenskin ability to Con
    • Changed Spriggan ability to Strength
    • Moved Run For It into common traits
    • Moved Spriggan Weapon Proficiancy to Greenskins and renamed it
    • Added Infernal Magic to Spriggan traits

Version 1.3
    • Changed Trow cantrip ability to Cha
    • Moved Go for the Back to common traits
    • Changed Spriggan ability increase to Int
    • Minor changes to Spriggan description
    • Overhaul on Spriggan traits

Version 1.4
    • Changed common ability increase from +2 to +1
    • Change Run For It to a bonus action
    • Changed Greenskin ability increase to +1 Str and +1 Con
    • Changed Gremlin ability increase to +2 Int
    • Changed Spriggan ability increase to +1 Dex and +1 Int
    • Changed Boggart ability increase to +2 Wis
    • Changed Trow ability increase to +2 Cha
    • Returned Boggart resistance to Poison
    • Removed Boggart Tool Proficency
    • Added Boggart Shaman to Boggart traits

Goblin Subraces
    Although goblins are among the most numerous races in the world, appearing in almost every region and climate, most do not realize how diverse the goblin race truly is. Altough all goblins share many of the same characteristics, there are actually a number of subraces, each with their own distinct attributes and cultures. What follows is the most comprehensive guide to the goblin race ever put together. Courtesy of one Quillain Gwaylar, a halfling professor who spent fifteen years in disguise living among the goblins in a full immersion study.
    Spoiler: Common Racial Traits
    Show
    Abilities: Your Dexterity Score increases by 1
    Age: Goblins mature faster than other races considered fully grown at the age of 3. Unfortunately, Goblins are also a very short lived race not because of the shortness of their natural life span but because the majority of them live brutal and short lives or do brutal and stupid things. The oldest recorded goblin was a chieftain who lived to the ripe old age of 57 before being killed by his successor.
    Alignment: Although non-goblins often assume all goblins are evil, their alignment can vary by subrace. The majority tend toward neutrality. However it is very unlikely a goblin, regardless of subrace, will ever be lawful.
    Size: Goblins are short, usually 3 to 4 feet and weigh about 50 pounds. Your size is small.
    Speed: Your base walking speed is 30 feet. Goblins are naturally fast despite being small creatures.
    Languages: Common, Goblin
    Darkvision: You have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
    Go for the Back: You can move through the space of any creature that is of a size larger than yours.
    Run For It: When the odds are against you, at least you can trust your legs. You can use Disengage as a Bonus Action.

Greenskin – When one thinks of goblins, it is the Greenskins that are typically called to mind. Standing no more than three and a half feet tall, their skin ranges from a deep forest green to pale olive in color. They tend to have long, dark hair on their heads and are incapable of growing facial hair. Their faces are squat and flat, with upturned noses and sharply pointed ears. Their eyes are entirely black except for the pupil which can range from a pale yellow to a sharp emerald green and reflect light in the dark like a feline. Greenskins are the most warlike of the goblin races, and their bodies are often spry with hard, athletic muscles. Almost every member of a Greenskin tribe is a warrior in some capacity, and they do not take easily to quiet lives as farmers or traders. Most tribes live by raiding and pillaging everything around them until they run up against a stronger foe that wipes them out or enslaves them.
    Spoiler: Greenskin Traits
    Show
    Ability Scores: Your Strength Score increases by 1, and your Constitution Score increases by 1
    Mud Slinger: Insults are your pastime. You gain the cantrip vicious mockery, you use Charisma as your spell casting ability for this ability.
    War Rider: Greenskins have an amicable relationship with worgs and similar beasts, whom they ride into battle. You have proficiency in the animal handling skill.
    Greenskin Weapon Proficiency: Your tribe has trained you well. You have proficiency with the Blowgun and Net.

Gremlin – A long time ago, a group of gnomes enslaved a clan of goblins that had been marauding in their territory. The descendants of these goblins are known today as Gremlins. Like their more common cousins, Gremlins have skin that ranges through every shade of green. Their hair tends to be black, sometimes turning blue with age and they are capable of growing short beards. They have long, hawkish noses and sharp features, and their ears are slightly more rounded. Their eyes are entirely yellow except for the pupils which can range from black to sky blue. Their bodies tend to be short and squat, with stubby legs and thick arms. Gremlins are more intelligent than most of their cousins and possess a natural desire to tinker and build. They have a passion for creating to equal any gnome, however, they passions tends toward creating things that destroy, which puts them in a vicious cycle of destroying and rebuilding their own settlements.
    Spoiler: Gremlin Traits
    Show
    Ability Scores: Your Intelligence Score increases by 2
    Dangerous Tinker: The gnomes like pretty things, but you like your creations to be a little more dynamic. You have proficiency with one artisan’s tool of your choice. Using those tools, you can spend 1 hour and 10 gp worth of materials to construct a Tiny clockwork device (AC 5, 1 hp) that works for 24 hours, or when you use your action to dismantle it. You can have up to three such devices active at one time. You may reclaim the parts used to create the device once it stops functioning, only if it did not explode. When you create a device, choose one of the following options:
    Bomb Boy – A clockwork tiny construct that is in the form of a goblin. When placed on the ground, the toy moves 5 feet across the ground on each of your turns in the direction it is facing making a loud wailing sound as it walks. When it is destroyed roll a d20. On a roll of 12 or higher the object explodes in a sphere five feet in diameter dealing 1d4 fire damage.
    Arsonist's Friend – A small brass rod with a slit at the top and a button on the side. When the button on the device is is pushed roll 1d6. On an even roll the device produces a miniature flame, which you can use to light a candle, torch, or campfire. An odd roll rsults in the device failing to work. On a roll of one the device explodes causing 1d4 fire damage to the user. Using the device requires an action.
    Blast Orb – The device is a small brass orb that makes a ticking sound once a small button on the top is pressed. 5 seconds after the button at the top is pressed the device explodes in a sphere 10 feet in diameter dealing 1d8 fire damage to anything within it. If the device is destroyed, nothing happens.
    Artificer’s Lore: Whenever you make an intelligence (History) check related to magic items, alchemical objects, or technological devices, you can add twice your proficiency bonus you normally apply.
    Tinkerer:*You count as a tinker gnome for all feats.

Spriggan – Springing from an ancient pact with a devil from Cania, the seventh circle of hell, Spriggan have a minute trace of infernal essence in their blood. Spriggan skin ranges in color from deep brown to a dark purple, often darker along their backs. They have thick manes of hair in shades of orange and brown that grows down their backs, and can grow facial hair. Their have sharp features with small, pointed noses, and their pointed ears are much larger than any other goblin race. Their eyes are entirely yellow with slit pupils that are either black or red. Their bodies are slender and wiry, appearing scrawny when compared to other goblins. Spriggan are easily the most savage of the goblin races. Just as prone to raiding as their Greenskin cousins, but much more cunning and devious in their approach. They favor tricks and ambushes over straight fights and are quite adept at stealth.
    Spoiler: Spriggan Traits
    Show
    Ability Scores: Your Dexterity Score increases by 1, and your Intelligence Score increases by 1
    Cania’s Resistance: You have resistance to cold damage.
    Creeping Shadow: You gain proficiency in the Stealth Skill
    Trap Maker: You know how to set simple snares and traps. You gain proficiency with Thieve’s Tools and have advantage when disarming traps. In addition you are able to set simple traps of your own. You can spend 1 hour and 10gp worth of material to set a trap that will remain until it is triggered or you dismantle it. You can reclaim the materials used to set the trap if you dismantle it. If the trap is sprung the materials are used up and can not be recovered. The DCs to spot and disable your traps are equal to 10+your character level. When you set a trap, choose one of the following options:
    Snare Wire – A length of wire is strung between two points and is triggered by someone walking into it. When triggered, the wire wraps around the targets feet. They must succeed at a Dexterity save or fall prone. While the wire is wrapped around their feet, the target’s movement is reduced by 5ft. Removing the wire requires a strength check DC 10.
    Spring Bolt – A single crossbow bolt is loaded into a spring lock mechanism and is triggered by a tripwire. When triggered the dart is fired at the target making a ranged attack with a +2 bonus. On a successful hit the target takes 1d6 piercing damage.
    Slashing Blade – A small blade is set in a spring lock mechanism and attached to a door or container. It is triggered when the door or container is opened. When triggered, the blade releases in a slashing arch making an attack with a +2 bonus. On a successful hit the target takes 1d6 points of damage.

Boggart – Inhabitants of the deep bogs and marshes of the world, Boggarts are few in number but make up for it with strong communal relationships and a fierce defense of their territory. Their skin ranges from black to brown, often with mottled green along their spines. They are often hairless, or have only the barest wisps of dark hair on their heads. They have bulbous noses and long faces, and their ears, while sharply pointed, tend to be smaller than other goblins. Their eyes are entirely black except for the pupils which range from brown to red. The largest of the goblin races, they tend to stand closer to four feet tall with thick arms and legs supporting a corpulent torso. Boggarts are very insular and tend to avoid contact with other races. They are the only goblin race adept at farming and crafting, and their traditions of spirituality tend to produce more druids and clerics than warriors.
    Spoiler: Boggart Traits
    Show
    Ability Scores: Your Wisdom Score increases by 2
    Boggart Shaman: You gain the cantrip Druidcraft, you use Wisdom as your spell casting ability for this ability.
    Swamp Resistance: You have advantage on saving throws against poison and sickness. You are also Resistant to Poison.
    Bog Swimmer: Boggart hit and run tactics usually include a good dose of swimming through less than cooperative waters. You have a swim speed of 20 feet.

Trow – By far the rarest of the goblin races, the Trow claim to be descended from the original goblins that were banished from the feywild at the dawn of the world. Whether this is true or not does not change the fact that the Trow are both the most unique of the goblin races as well as the fewest in number. Their skin ranges through various shades of blue in color. They tend to have thick white or blond hair on their heads, and can grow minimal amounts of facial hair. Their faces are fair and could be considered attractive even by non-goblin standards, with long, narrowly pointed ears. Their eyes are normal, with irises ranging in color from blue to lavender. Slender and willowy, Trow seem to be the weakest physically of the goblin races, but they make up for it with keen, intelligent minds. Though the truth of their origin is unconfirmed, they do have traces of fey essence in their blood, and many of their number have at least some aptitude for the arcane arts.
    Spoiler: Trow Traits
    Show
    Ability Scores: Your Charisma Score increases by 2
    Fey Ancestry: You have resistance against being charmed, and magic can’t put you to sleep.
    Cantrip: You know one cantrip of your choice from the Wizard spell list. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for it.
    Trow Versatility: You gain proficiency in two skills of your choice.
    Last edited by Outrider; 2018-08-24 at 05:11 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: PC Friendly Goblin Subraces

Good stuff. I haven't done the math, but I don't see any obvious problems. Only that Greenskins get "Spriggan Weapon Proficiency", and that the Boggart's Swamp Immunity should probably be called Swamp Resistance, since it doesn't give immunity against anything.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

All i know is the image you used for the Trow is cute as heck. Might have to look into these for one of my own games sometime, i do love me some goblins
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Lalliman View Post
    Good stuff. I haven't done the math, but I don't see any obvious problems. Only that Greenskins get "Spriggan Weapon Proficiency", and that the Boggart's Swamp Immunity should probably be called Swamp Resistance, since it doesn't give immunity against anything.
    Fixed both issues

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Just a couple of thoughts. I love more goblin stuff! You got a good amount of variety here, which is nice.

I think "Run For It" will almost never come up. It's not nothing, just not something I'd consider a plus when thinking up a goblin character. You could replace it with their original ability to Disengage as a Bonus Action, which would make them a very well-liked race right off the bat.

Greenskins are described as muscly and athletic, but they don't get a Strength bonus, which I find odd. Vicious Mockery is also an extremely good cantrip. Like, maybe too good. I sort of like my greenskin goblins not having magic, but that's the flavor you're going with. Their weapon proficiency are also pretty weak. Could give them handcrossbows instead?

Gremlins are great! Though their ability modifier steps on the Spriggan's toes.

Speaking of Spriggans, love 'em. Very nice flavor, though I'd give them Fire Resistance instead. Cold honestly almost never comes up, while Fire and Poison are very common.

Boggarts are the weakest so far, but I do like their description and flavor as well. You might want to also give them Poison Resistance along with that Advantage to saves.

I'm just gonna steal Trow for my next Underdark campaign. Great flavor, spot on mechanics!

I'm actually gonna use these almost as-is when I run my Underdark campaign. Thanks for all this!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

While it is normal in 5e for race to give a +2 to an attribute and subrace to give a +1 I can't help but feel in a mono-race game it'd make for better distinctions between the subraces by swapping that around. Everyone's as dextrous as a goblin but not everyone's as tough as a greenskin or smart as a gremlin.

It would also allow for making the spriggan have a different stat array from the gremlin, something like +1 Dex/ +1 Intelligence/ +1 Wisdom for the spriggans and +1 Dex/ +2 Int for the gremlins. As is the two subraces are very similar.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

7. - Top - End - #7

I think "Run For It" will almost never come up. It's not nothing, just not something I'd consider a plus when thinking up a goblin character. You could replace it with their original ability to Disengage as a Bonus Action, which would make them a very well-liked race right off the bat.
    An excellent point.

Greenskins are described as muscly and athletic, but they don't get a Strength bonus, which I find odd. Vicious Mockery is also an extremely good cantrip. Like, maybe too good. I sort of like my greenskin goblins not having magic, but that's the flavor you're going with. Their weapon proficiency are also pretty weak. Could give them handcrossbows instead?
    Originally the Greenskins did have a strength bonus, it was changed in one of the tweaks I've made but I haven't been happy with it and I may change it back as it better suits my original intention for them.

I don't disagree about Vicious Mockery, but I'm not sure what else to give them instead.

Handcrossbow doesn't really strike me as a goblin weapon. I was originally considering javelins, but since they are a simple weapon, the only classes that don't get proficiency with them are sorcerer and wizard anyway.

Gremlins are great! Though their ability modifier steps on the Spriggan's toes.
    This is another instance of the changes these have gone through muddling the field a bit.

Speaking of Spriggans, love 'em. Very nice flavor, though I'd give them Fire Resistance instead. Cold honestly almost never comes up, while Fire and Poison are very common.
    In their original version the Spriggan did have fire resistance, but they also resembled tieflings a little too closely, so as I reworked them I linked their devil origin to the coldest layer of hell and swamped out fire for cold. I don't really want to go back to fire, but I could see a switch to poison working well. However, that would have them stepping on the Boggart's toes.

Boggarts are the weakest so far, but I do like their description and flavor as well. You might want to also give them Poison Resistance along with that Advantage to saves.
    The Boggarts are honestly the least defined out of all of them to me. I did originally give them poison resistance, but it was pointed out to me that that might have been a bit overpowered. The more I think about it, the more I don't think that's really the case.

They are meant to be the sort of cleric option of the subraces, but I haven't really managed to make that come through in their traits and still keep the swamp dwelling flavor. I have been considering giving them the Druidcraft cantrip

While it is normal in 5e for race to give a +2 to an attribute and subrace to give a +1 I can't help but feel in a mono-race game it'd make for better distinctions between the subraces by swapping that around. Everyone's as dextrous as a goblin but not everyone's as tough as a greenskin or smart as a gremlin.
    This is something I've been going back and forth on since I started this project. I might have to take your advice and swamp the ability increases around again to help diversify the subraces.

-----EDIT-----

Decided to rework the abilities so no one was stepping on anyone else's toes and they all felt a bit more unique. Also reworked the Boggart to make them more like the shaman types they were intended to be.

Spoiler: Change Log
    Show
    Version 1.4
    • Changed common ability increase from +2 to +1
    • Change Run For It to a bonus action
    • Changed Greenskin ability increase to +1 Str and +1 Con
    • Changed Gremlin ability increase to +2 Int
    • Changed Spriggan ability increase to +1 Dex and +1 Int
    • Changed Boggart ability increase to +2 Wis
    • Changed Trow ability increase to +2 Cha
    • Returned Boggart resistance to Poison
    • Removed Boggart Tool Proficency
    • Added Boggart Shaman to Boggart traits
    Last edited by Outrider; 2018-08-24 at 05:11 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

I like it, can be biased because my goblins aren't weak either and those are gremlins to me aswell.
    Wouldn't never cross my mind to use the hag faced ones for something thought, and spriggans have been gnomes since forever.