New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mafia Capital (WWC XI): Important Info Here -- READ OPENING POSTS!

Quote Originally Posted by gac3 View Post
    Well you told us you we couldn't trust you.

I'm not opposed to running concurrent games but I don't think I'm even next on the schedule am I? There was a Harry Potter game before me right?
    Yeah. There's Elenna's HP game, yours with no current theme I think, then Durzan, then me, then...I'm not sure after that.

Currently Running WW/Mafia: flat_footed's Fallout 3: Forecast--Rapidly Changing Conditions

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Yeah. There's Elenna's HP game, yours with no current theme I think, then Durzan, then me, then...I'm not sure after that.
    meant to mention this in the last boat but I think I've definitively decided on an X-Men game as long as that's okay. I had an idea for it my biggest problem right now is there's too many dang telepaths.

Edit: also I'll probably want a person or two to look over my roles once I get them typed out to let me know if there are any suggestions or advice about balance or anything else.
    Last edited by gac3; 2019-12-29 at 03:22 AM.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

I think that since we're currently having the problem that everything seems dead because there's very little activity, it would be good to get back to a more flexible schedule with multiple games going at once.

Also, Circle of Assassins was never operated on the werewolf schedule anyway, since they're pretty different games. =p

4. - Top - End - #214
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

AV, if you want to switch places with me, go ahead - I haven't had the chance to finalize my list of roles yet, and I was originally planning for less players than we've gotten in the last few games.
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post
    AV, if you want to switch places with me, go ahead - I haven't had the chance to finalize my list of roles yet, and I was originally planning for less players than we've gotten in the last few games.
    I think a couple people are ahead of me and I just misremembered. I'm more or less ready to run my Spongebob game, but I should probably ask gac3 and Durzan if they're fine with me skipping ahead. If they're not reasy yet, then I can fill time while y'all figure out your games, but if one of them's ready I can wait.

Currently Running WW/Mafia: flat_footed's Fallout 3: Forecast--Rapidly Changing Conditions

My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

If Durzan is fine with being skipped, I'm curious what an AV game is like. It's also not completely being skipped if it's the same number of people in front of you but I could see where it could be an issue.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

If Durzan is fine with being skipped, I'm curious what an AV game is like. It's also not completely being skipped if it's the same number of people in front of you but I could see where it could be an issue.
    ...I just checked, and Durzan's last activity is three weeks ago. Combined with your point here (that it's only kinda skipping), I think I'm just gonna go ahead and make my recruitment thread, and just...hope they don't mind. >.<

My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

...I just checked, and Durzan's last activity is three weeks ago. Combined with your point here (that it's only kinda skipping), I think I'm just gonna go ahead and make my recruitment thread, and just...hope they don't mind. >.<
    Can't wait.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Alchemist in the Playground Moderator

Regardless, it's approved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I vote we purge flat_footed.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    flat_footed, you saved London, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli
    Yeah Flat_footed is such a killjoy. Let's take turns talking bad about him, he'll never read this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    I didn't kill anyone, except I guess I killed everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    flat_footed

Extended Signature

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

I'll be honest I'm getting kinda burnt out and I've never seen a Spongebob episode, so I think I'll sit this one out. Best wishes, though!
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, both of those probably make it a bit less enjoyable. Sometimes you just need a break, it's all good.

My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

Finally nailed down my roles. I built it for 20 people but if there are fewer after my recruitment, I know which ones to remove.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Halfling in the Playground

I’m getting burnt out too, so I’m gonna skip this one. Y’all enjoy.

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Christmas starts when Halloween ends, Halloween starts after New Year. The only part of the year that isn't a holiday is between Christmas and December 31st.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Looks like Vecna is starting theirs soon. People talked about getting back to a more structured way of things. Should I go ahead and post my recruitment or wait a while?

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Looks like Vecna is starting theirs soon. People talked about getting back to a more structured way of things. Should I go ahead and post my recruitment or wait a while?
    Go ahead and get yours up. My game will start when the mods approve it, which is hopefully before I go to sleep tonight.

My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

Do you think it would be helpful for new players if I posted the basics of the rules? If they have never heard of Werewolf/Mafia games or never played them, I thought knowing how it works might encourage trying it out.

18. - Top - End - #228

Yeah I would. Under a spoiler, though.

Extended Sig

Christmas starts when Halloween ends, Halloween starts after New Year. The only part of the year that isn't a holiday is between Christmas and December 31st.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Alchemist in the Playground Moderator

Go ahead and get yours up. My game will start when the mods approve it, which is hopefully before I go to sleep tonight.
    You're good to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I vote we purge flat_footed.
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    flat_footed, you saved London, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli
    Yeah Flat_footed is such a killjoy. Let's take turns talking bad about him, he'll never read this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    I didn't kill anyone, except I guess I killed everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    flat_footed

Extended Signature

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Yeah I would. Under a spoiler, though.
    Yeah. I want it there if people feel unsure about what they are doing but not in the way. I may post it here while I get the rest of my post ready so that you guys can tell me if I got everything right or you have any suggestions about it. If that's okay, that is.

Spoiler: Rules
    Show
    If you are a new player, welcome. I hope you enjoy the game. We do these regularly and the higher the participation, the more fun it will be. I will be here to answer any questions you have, as well as your fellow players. Some questions, by the nature of the game, will not have answers I can give until after the game.

It is important to note, if you are not familiar with this style of game, that this is not an RPG with rolls and dice. It is an adaptation of the game Mafia. It's also known as Werewolves or something but I am not sure which is the original. I always played Mafia in school. I have included the rules but please don't be overwhelmed, I tried to over explain to avoid confusion.

Spoiler: Basics
    Show
    Roles: Everyone is assigned a role at the beginning of the game. This will be done semi-randomly by me. Each role comes with it's own powers and win conditions. You will receive specific details about how your role works at the beginning of the game through PM. Your role is secret. Unless otherwise noted, you are the only one (besides me of course) who knows your role and how it works. So as far as character creation goes, just sign up and be ready to roll with your role.

Factions: Every role is assigned a faction. There are normally two or more factions. One faction is normally called Town. They are the "good guys." The other standard faction for the game are the Werewolves/Mafia. They are the "bad guys." In some games, there are other factions that have their own alignments. In this game, the Town is the X-Men and the Wolves are the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. There will be other neutral factions in this game, as long as we have enough people.

Playing the Game: You begin the game knowing nothing more than whatever I include in this recruitment post and whatever information you receive in your role PM. So you will not know who is town and who is a wolf unless you receive a role that begins with that information. That's the game, figuring it out. The game is played in two phases: Day Phase and Night Phase.
    During the Day Phase, everyone may place a vote on who they suspect of being a wolf. You place a vote by posting another player's name in Red. You may change your vote at any point by marking out your previous vote. If this is not done, I will not count your new vote. At the end of the day phase, the person with the most votes is "lynched" and removed from the game. The Day Phase lasts for 48 hours in this game.

During the Night Phase, people who have night powers will be able to use them. They privately tell me whom they would like to target with their power. You will be told of any results of your powers at the end of the night phase/beginning of the day phase. The Night Phase will last 48 hours.

Winning the Game: Each role or faction may have their own individual win conditions. As a whole though, people belonging to the Town win if they eliminate all of the Wolves. The Wolves on the other hand win if they bring the total number of Town to less than the total number of Wolves remaining. So if there are Four Wolves and only Three town, the Wolves will win. Most neutrals have win conditions independent of these two factions. Unless otherwise stated, if your faction wins, you win, even if you die.

I also wanted to include some notes about how communication will work.
    Spoiler: Communication
    Show
    Anything you post in the in game thread will be public for everyone to see.

You will each receive a quick topic link from me. Quick Topic is a website with a great system for making quick topical threads to allow communication. Any private communication, including power use, will be done through your quick topic (QT) thread. You do not need an account to use the thread. If you want to start a new one, I believe you do need an account but it is free. We use this to allow for private discussion without needing to clog up our PM Inboxes.

If you want to communicate privately with another player, then it is recommended that you create a quick topic thread and PM the link to both them and me. I should be kept in the loop with all game related communications and this method is the easiest.

You are not allowed to send anyone a screenshot of your role PM. I came up with that idea last game and then realized why it's a bad idea after being shut down for suggesting it.

Trust no one.

This part is far from necessary for any of you to look at yet but I'll throw it on here just because it's convenient and why not. Below are some terms that are used commonly as a short hand by players. If you are new and see a term you don't recognize, check this out.
    Spoiler: Some Basic Terms
    Show
    I'll add more as I think of them.
    Baner: Baners protect a target from kill powers.
    Blocker: Blockers can prevent someone from taking their night action.
    Scry: Usually refers to a power that gives you information about a player's role.

Recruitment Thread is Live for my X-Men themed game.
    Last edited by gac3; 2020-01-13 at 01:55 AM.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

"Voider" is another term for "Blocker", correct? I think that's one that confused some folk during games.

Are there generic terms for a Town who has a night-kill? I've heard Vigilante or Soldier, I think.
    Edit: I find it funny that, from the description, it sounds like Cyclops is the night-kill Town. Guess Jean dying so often made him get a bit unhinged

Maybe also add WIFOM (wine in front of me), since that is sometimes used without enough context to know what it means.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-01-14 at 10:13 AM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    "Voider" is another term for "Blocker", correct? I think that's one that confused some folk during games.

Are there generic terms for a Town who has a night-kill? I've heard Vigilante or Soldier, I think.
    I've heard voider a lot more than blocker on this forum, but yeah they're the same. I'm also used to vigilante for a townie night-kill (often limited in number of uses).

All this stuff used to be in the opening posts but it's really started to get lost. You can still find the full version here. That's the one post containing the rules, but there's a lot more if you go to the full thread and read the first few posts (Game Archives, additional rules, additional roles, and very old forum memes).
    Last edited by Duck999; 2020-01-15 at 07:02 PM.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Duck! You're back!
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    Duck! You're back!
    I've been chilling here the whole time, but I've been very much doubting my ability to commit to a game. Instead I just watched this thread to see what was going on.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

25. - Top - End - #235

Good to see you posting again.

Extended Sig

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

I was a solo wolf and killed everyone!
    Well, one basket filled with puppies I suppose.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I've been reading the Spongebob game, and one comment got me thinking about something.

It seems true that, in most games, you win if your faction wins. At least for non-neutrals. So even if a townie or wolf dies, they still win if the town/wolves win. I get that as a game mechanic, but it bugs me that it doesn't make sense narratively. I guess it's just that the games here tend to weave a pretty fun narrative, so I want some internal consistency.
    One thing I really liked about the wizards game was that I could envision Resurrections being cast after the game finalizes, so it really made sense that you could win even if you died but your faction won.
    EDIT: I guess it sorta makes sense for the Spongebob game, too, since it's just being arrested and presumably the Townies get free if the real wolves are all arrested.

It is generally the case that you win if your faction wins, even if you're dead. Right?

Also, as a general comment unrelated to the above: I've found it hard playing as a neutral whose goal is get someone else to die and the power to scry if someone is my target. I can see the skill if you figure out who your target is and can manipulate votes and sow suspicion to get them lynched, but, in actual games, I've found I don't figure out who they are and I'm just hoping they happen to die by chance before the game ends.
    That's not to say such roles aren't good ones to have in a game, but just noting my frustration when I've had them.

Looking forward to the X-Men game. I don't recognize all the mutants listed -- might do some Googling when the game starts -- but it sounds fun.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-01-16 at 02:26 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post

Looking forward to the X-Men game. I don't recognize all the mutants listed -- might do some Googling when the game starts -- but it sounds fun.
    I hope so! Most of them I thought were the more well known ones but I know a few either weren't in the movies or it wasnt obvious they were. Mastermind is one that was in the movies but it is hard to really tell, despite being a major aspect to the second one.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I was a solo wolf and killed everyone!
    Well, one basket filled with puppies I suppose.
    I still have so many questions about why you posted your entire evil plan in a QT you had given other people access to
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

I said no further questions.
    Show