New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Alchemist in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Mafia Capital (WWC XI): Important Info Here -- READ OPENING POSTS!

Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    I'll probably play if a PM is sent.
    Quote Originally Posted by kgato503 View Post
    I would also be open to playing (an attention grabbing PM would be nice ). Since it has been a while since a game ran, it might be an idea to just PM the players from the last three or so games, to let everyone know that a game is up.
    That's the plan! With how things have been, I'll be knocking on a lot of doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I vote we purge flat_footed.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    flat_footed, you saved London, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli
    Yeah Flat_footed is such a killjoy. Let's take turns talking bad about him, he'll never read this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    I didn't kill anyone, except I guess I killed everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    flat_footed

Extended Signature

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

New here, have played mafia in the past and I like the forum so if anyone decides to host anything, I’d be happy to play when that happens. Whoever hosts can feel free to send me a message too.

Not quite sure how the site works yet, so let me know if there’s anything else I need to do for this.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3. - Top - End - #33

Quote Originally Posted by Ryast View Post
    New here, have played mafia in the past and I like the forum so if anyone decides to host anything, I’d be happy to play when that happens. Whoever hosts can feel free to send me a message too.

Not quite sure how the site works yet, so let me know if there’s anything else I need to do for this.
    Welcome, Ryast! If I'm the first one to get things together, I'll make sure to reach out to you.

I'd highly recommend subscribing to this thread under thread tools, if you have not already.
    Show
    Yeah Flat_footed is such a killjoy. Let's take turns talking bad about him, he'll never read this.
    flat_footed

Extended Signature

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Ryast View Post

Hey Rayst, good to meet you. Unfortunately our quaint little community here seems to be in the deepest stage of NREM sleep and a game hasn’t occurred in the last three months. I too am pretty new here and have only played in about 5 or so of their games. It was some of the best amusement I have had in a while playing those, it’s such a shame they can’t find much of the time anymore. If no one else takes the initiative in the next few days then I will post a game myself, send some PMs and see how much attention I can wrangle up. Stay here for just a little while, hope for the best, and I will see what I can do for you.
    -
    I have designed a Gothic Horror TTRPG built for actual play performances. If you want to play some sessions using it or talk theory, read more about it here!

My D&D 5e Homebrew Content

The Necronomicon. An >30 Page Cthulhu Mythos Supplement

Faerie Vampyre Monsters. Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters.

Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed View Post
    Welcome, Ryast! If I'm the first one to get things together, I'll make sure to reach out to you.

I'd highly recommend subscribing to this thread under thread tools, if you have not already.
    Just subscribed, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Hey Rayst, good to meet you. Unfortunately our quaint little community here seems to be in the deepest stage of NREM sleep and a game hasn’t occurred in the last three months. I too am pretty new here and have only played in about 5 or so of their games. It was some of the best amusement I have had in a while playing those, it’s such a shame they can’t find much of the time anymore. If no one else takes the initiative in the next few days then I will post a game myself, send some PMs and see how much attention I can wrangle up. Stay here for just a little while, hope for the best, and I will see what I can do for you.
    Cool, sounds great. I’ll look forward to it!
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6. - Top - End - #36
    Halfling in the Playground

Welcome!
    I’ve been here for a few years, and it’s been sad seeing things stop around here.
    Last edited by BasketOfPuppies; 2018-12-04 at 11:55 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Alright everybody, on December 8th EST I will be submitting a Werewolf game here to receive approval. I haven’t yet made a concept yet, so if any of you have any suggestion (whether they be for a theme or mechanics) then please voice them now. @Durzan, add this to the calendar.
    -
    I have designed a Gothic Horror TTRPG built for actual play performances. If you want to play some sessions using it or talk theory, read more about it here!

Faerie Vampyre Monsters. Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Halfling in the Playground

How about something Hanukkah related?

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Christmas starts when Halloween ends, Halloween starts after New Year. The only part of the year that isn't a holiday is between Christmas and December 31st.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    How about something Hanukkah related?
    As much as I like that idea, Hanukkah is an inherently religious holiday and there really isn’t a secular Hanukkah that I know of like there is for Christmas. It would certainly break the forum rule for “discussion about real world religion” if I did that. And even if we did discover some sort of obscure secular Hanukkah, then we would need to walk on paper thin eggshells to not come across as racist.

I am probably going to end up making some winter themed game, but it’s not going to be based around any holiday.
    -

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Alright, I just published the thread “WW: Choir of the Winter Spectres” and sent a PM to all 5 moderators governing Message Boad Games. You know how slowly that process is though, so hold on for a few days for the kids to except it. The title is called that because the game involves an unorthodox mechanic in which a character role known as the necromancer (who occupies a role similar to the seer) can limitedly communicate with dead characters and grill them for information. More rules regarding them can be found in the thread once it comes around.
    -

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    “WW: Choir of the Winter Spectres”
    I love it! Can't wait to wade in once again.
    Show
    flat_footed

Extended Signature

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

While the mods take their time to approve of my thread, I am just going to post the rules here for anyone to critique and review. I will be holding recruiting as soon as thread is published.

Choir of the Winter Spectres

The harshest winter ever seen has fallen upon the quite village of Ebonshire and left the place a ruin. Now that the crops have died, the river has frozen and the houses have cracked under the weight of the ice and snow, the people of Ebonshire have no choice but to flee for a place where it is warm enough to live. The journey South though has proven to be a treacherous one, and starvation has been a spectre over the whole group. Evil spirits though wander these woods, and when they come across a person who is left to destitute by hunger, the spirit possesses them and drives them to acts of cannibalism. Reports abound that multiple people have been infected with the wendigoe curse and have already devoured human flesh, so the citizens of Ebonshire are left with no choice but to fend themselves against this disguised threat. Only through cunning, magic, supernatural intervention and confusing algebra can the villagers make it through these hard times.

Spoiler: Phases
    Show
    As usual, a turn will be separated into two phases.

The first is the day phase which happens from dawn until dusk in game time, but will actually last 48 hours in real life time. During this time, the players will all vote on who they wish to lynch. If you change your vote, edit your post and strike through your previous vote. Whoever has the plurality of votes will be lynched. If there is a tie, the person who reached that number of votes first will be the one who is lynched. You can always decide to abstain from voting.

The next phase shall be the night phase which lasts from dusk until dawn in game time, but 48 hours in real life time. During this time, everyone with a power role (including Wendigoes, seers, trappers, ghosts and vengeful mathematicians) will declare their night actions via a PM to me. Wendigoes and Ghosts will have to vote as a group on what to do before at least one person from the group sends a PM to me. Once this phase has ended I will state the results of the night and the names of any players who have died, their roles and how they died. We will then revert back to the day phase and re-do this process until the game ends.

Spoiler: Roles
    Show
    As standard, the villagers will win if they lynch all of the wendigoes, but the wendigoes will win if enough villagers are killed so that the number of villagers are equal to or less than the number of wendigoes. Wendigoes make up their own group; necromancers, trappers and villagers are all considered on the villager side, and ghosts are technically neutral but may choose to favor one side over the other (I am not going to tell you what side the Vengeful Mathemagician is on). All roles, except for the ghost, are granted at the beginning. All roles will be present, but the number of members of each role is dependent on the number of players we have and will not ever be revealed by me until the end of the game.

Ghost: Whenever a player dies, regardless of their role, instead of leaving the game they become a ghost with limited ability to interact with the world. As soon as you become a ghost, you will be sent a link to a Quick Topic for the ghosts in which you can communicate with any other player who has died. As a ghost, you cannot speak to living players nor vote during the day, but are crucial to interacting with the necromancer and have a special night action. Every night phase the ghosts will debate over what Otherworldly Omen they wish to send to the players.

An Otherworldly Omen is a sign from a supernatural plane which is meant to inform the players about something through subtle and cryptic means, but it must be explained in 25 words or less. The whole group sees the omen and you cannot selectively choose people who can see it. Examples of this include "all the fish in the river die and float to the surface", "the moon is completely covered over by clouds," or "all the trees are more susceptible to being knocked back by the wind than normal." Although you may make hints about someone's name, you cannot explicitly mention their name in the description of the Omen. Every ghost shall vote on which omen they which to take, and whichever one has the plurality by the end of the night phase moves on to authorization. In the case of a tie, whichever omen won the plurality first shall go to the next step. Once an omen is decided upon, I must confirm that it is allowed and then I personally shall copy the description down and announce it in the morning; if the omen is denied by me, the next runner up shall be chosen.

Wendigoe (Werewolf): During the day you pretend to be a normal person, but at night you undergo a grotesque transmutation and become a murderous wendigoe. All of the wendigoes know who each other are and can communicate with one another through their own Quick Topic. They will debate on which villager they want to night kill, and whichever person receives the plurality of votes shall be killed before morning comes. If there is a ever a tie the first person to reach that many votes shall be night killed. Wendigoes are not allowed to talk through the Quick Topic during the day.

Necromancer (Quasi-Seer): You have no special powers during the day, but at night you have the power to communicate with ghosts. To do so, first choose a player who has become a ghost and one player who you wish to have analyzed. You must then send a group PM to me and the ghost in which you ask the ghost which the living player's role is. If the ghost knows the role of that player, then they must answer truthfully without being misleading. If the ghost does not know the player's role, then they may state what their opinions on that player is by stating that "I believe that (player name) is a (role) because of... (explanation in 14 words or less)."

Trapper (Baner) : Every night phase you choose one player, which may include yourself, to protect for the night.. If that person is attacked by the wendigoes, then the player does not actually die because the wendigoes would get caught in the trap. In the morning, it will be made clear to the whole group that a trap was activated.

Villagers: You have no special day or night power and only have a lynch vote.

The Vengeful Mathemagician (???): To be completely honest, this just seems to be a weird person doing overly complicated math in the background. None of you except for the mathemagician really know what they can do or what side they are on.

Spoiler: Recruitment
    Show
    We will need at least six players for me to begin. We will officially begin the game either when a week have passed since anyone signed up under the conditions we have at least six people, or if December ends and we already have 12 people. If six people don’t sign up to the game by the end of December, then the game will be cancelled.

Spoiler: Current players
    Show
    none yet.

-

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Choir of the Winter Spectres has just been approved by the moderators and is open for recruiting. For those of you who are interested, please follow the link below to join. We will be getting as many people as we can.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...inter-Spectres
    -

14. - Top - End - #44
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oof. Just now saw the flurry of posts! Will update the calendar.
    Wheel of Time 3.5e Homebrew
    My Original D20 System: Forgotten Prophecies RPG

When it comes to GMing, World-Building is one of the things that I do best, provided I have friends to bounce ideas off of.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Barbarian in the Playground

Can I get a status update on the other games? (Not my mafia game, I still do intend to host it, but when is to be determined).
    Last edited by Durzan; 2019-01-01 at 01:03 PM.
    Wheel of Time 3.5e Homebrew
    My Original D20 System: Forgotten Prophecies RPG

When it comes to GMing, World-Building is one of the things that I do best, provided I have friends to bounce ideas off of.

16. - Top - End - #46

I'll start recruitment for Fallout 2 once Winter Spectres is completed.
    Show
    flat_footed

Extended Signature

17. - Top - End - #47
    Bugbear in the Playground

In case anyone is interested, we are still looking for players here
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threa...r-never.638072

Will start with these players but more would be nice.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lex-Kat View Post
    "Leave my Rakkoon alone!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    What shall I say to thee, rakkoon, thou cruel,
    Ingrateful, savage and inhuman creature,
    That knewst the very bottom of my soul,
    That almost mightst have coined me into gold
    Wouldst thou have practiced on me for thy use?
    Supa Songs about me

Thanks to Elder Tsofu for the banner and Rowsen for the avvie!

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Would there be any interest in a Battle Royale 11 run by me?
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

19. - Top - End - #49

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    Would there be any interest in a Battle Royale 11 run by me?
    I've never been in one before, but I'd be down for it.
    Show
    flat_footed

Extended Signature

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

INVITATION TO THE MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP (SEASON 6)

Ahoy there! :)

I’m very excited to invite your community to participate in Season 6 of the Mafia Championship.

The Mafia Championship is an annual forum-based tournament series that pits representatives from various online Mafia (aka Werewolf) communities against one another as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest forum Mafia player. Each participating community democratically elects one person to represent them and be their “Champion”.

The tournament first started back in 2013. Since then, 270+ different communities and 50+ different nationalities have been represented.

It’s a super fun event that has created many new friendships and close bonds between communities. I hope that you would be interested in taking part :)

1. DO YOU ACCEPT THE INVITATION?

If your community wishes to participate, please confirm your participation to Thingyman as soon as you can to ensure yourselves a spot. Currently, the plan is to accommodate 187 communities this season (last season featured 170 communities), and if interest is high enough we will expand even further to 204.

If your community agrees to participate, the deadline for selecting your representative is April 26, but the sooner the better.

The games will take place on Mafia Universe. If it’s okay, I can link directly to the general discussion thread regarding this topic on Mafia Universe.

Important notes
    • You may decide yourselves how you want to elect your representative, but we highly recommend some sort of democratic process (public nominations followed by a poll usually works out well).
    • In addition to electing a representative, you should also name an alternate who will be asked to step in if the first choice needs to back out.
    • Your representative should be prepared for having to read upwards of 600 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. Additionally, there’s a requirement that each player must make at least 10 posts per Game Day. Only active players should apply/participate. I repeat: Your chosen player needs to be able to promise a good amount of activity on a daily basis.

2. SEASON 6 FORMAT

The tournament structure
    • 187 communities will participate, each sending one representative.
    • QUALIFIERS: 11 Qualifying Games will be played, consisting of 17 players each. I.e. every representative plays in one Qualifying Game. The players themselves vote post-game to determine who is deserving of advancement. 1st place will advance directly to the Finale Game (i.e. 11 of the 17 finalists are found this way), while the 2nd place finishers will advance directly to one of the two Wildcard Games.
    • WILDCARDS: A Jury consisting of finalists from Season 5 will discuss and vote to determine 23 players in total deserving of a second chance. They will play in 2 Wildcard Games along with the aforementioned 2nd place finishers that advanced directly to these games. From each game, three players will advance to the Finale Game based on a post-game player vote, just like in the qualifying phase.
    • THE FINALE: The Finale Game is played. Once it has completed, the players vote to determine who shall receive the title of Season 6 Champion and a winner’s certificate signed by Dmitry Davidoff, the creator of mafia.

This year’s setup: Mad17
    The setup is called Mad17 and features 17 players.

13x Town
    4x Mafia

Each of the following 17 roles will be assigned at random to one player in the game without regard for the player's alignment. Each role is restricted to using its action only on the nights listed on the chart.

Relevant mechanics info
    - Day start
    - Role reveals at death are alignment only. You will not learn a player's exact role when they die.
    - Majority is not in effect.
    - Votes are automatically locked in at LYLO.
    - Mafia factional kills are assigned. They can be tracked, watched, or roleblocked.
    - Mafia share a factional Night Kill, which is a single standard shot for their faction.
    - Mafia members may perform the faction kill in addition to their regular action at the same time.
    - Mafia may communicate at any time.
    - Tied votes will result in a player being lynched at random from among the tied players.
    - Each individual player may make a maximum of 200 posts per day phase (this restriction is lifted 2 hours before day end).
    - The game will have a host to oversee everything and make sure everyone’s following the code of conduct, but otherwise the game is completely automated (automatic votecounts, thread locks and reveals roles automatically, the bot receives and processes actions, etc.).

3. SEASON 6 TIMELINE

There will be 11 Qualifying Games, and your representative plays in just one of these. They will have start dates during the months of April, May and June. So in other words, as long as your representative can play sometime during that period, they should be good and I’ll make sure they get scheduled into a game that suits their schedule well. I.e. if your rep is busy until June, that isn’t a problem.

Wildcard games will be played in July, and the Finale Game sometime in August/September (whenever we can work out something that suits everyone).

If you want to get in contact with me ASAP, you can find me on Discord (Thingyman#6075).

Kind regards,
    Thingyman*

*not Logic, who has copy/pasted the entire spiel at behest of Thingyman who has a lot on his plate. Alternatively, you may contact me via PM here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

I'd like to nominate Logic for two reasons, namely:

To continue the streak of the person reposting the invitation getting nominated, and
    Because he's quite a good player, and has, I think, matured a fair amount in his WW play recently.

I think he'd do us proud.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm with Cuthalion on this. Logic is pretty good.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Personal preference only: I'm not saying I will not accept, but I would prefer the nominee and the backup not be anyone we sent last year. (Which would exclude myself and Cuthalion)

(Thank you to Cuthalion and Duck for thinking so highly of me.)
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

With no games going on, it's hard to make any choices besides what we knew was good last year.

Speaking of which, it's sad to see no April Fool's game...
    What are the chances I could get a game going?
    Last edited by Duck999; 2019-04-04 at 08:37 PM.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

I'd play. The Battle Royale I was running's been over for a good bit.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

I'd be interested in playing, depending on the game.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ghost in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by kgato503 View Post
    I'd be interested in playing, depending on the game.
    What if it's a Championship game? ;)

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

With no games going on, it's hard to make any choices besides what we knew was good last year.

Speaking of which, it's sad to see no April Fool's game...
    What are the chances I could get a game going?
    I completely forgot about my obligatory April fools game! I've run one every year since I started hosting!

I will play in an April fools game, Duck.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm writing something up quickly and hopefully can get it approved quickly. I want as much time to have recruitment running and I don't see a need to go through the old process when no games are running.

And submitted for approval.
    Last edited by Duck999; 2019-04-05 at 12:58 PM.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I'm writing something up quickly and hopefully can get it approved quickly. I want as much time to have recruitment running and I don't see a need to go through the old process when no games are running.

And submitted for approval.
    I’d be glad to participate on another game on GitP. We haven’t had one in a while, so I don’t even see why the schedule is all that necessary.
    -