Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: HALO 183: The Not Remotely Gritty Reboot

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Simulation Room]

"I know what you mean, technology is a mess around here." Faith herself was stuck with pseudo-future tech. She didn't trust magic too much considering she had no idea how it would interact with her and the fact it was even more of a mess than technology was.
    "But it is remarkable, never seen anything like it if I'm going to be honest. So it would know how people would act as well? You did use a time-traveling example before so it seems like it'd be capable of something like that as well. Therefore, I imagine it would be amazing for therapy of various kinds, not to mention training or simple games. Indeed, the only negative side-effect would probably be that you spend too much time with it as it probably could simulate your greatest dreams. Why bother with reality when you have a much better one in this machine?" She gestures at the control panel.
    [Simulation Room]

"Time travel was an example of something it couldn't predict because the creators didn't know how time travel worked. At least in so far as how to cause time travel." Reinholdt says. "... At least... I think they didn't know..." Man, it'd be super awkward to press some buttons and suddenly reveal the secret to time travel to an investigative reporter. For once, Rein chooses not to push the buttons.

He tilts his head at her enthusiasm though. "Well, yes, I suppose there's always the risk of someone spending too much time in here. But no one's done it yet. I honestly doubt it'd ever become a problem. Very few people actually know what their dream world would be like. Wouldn't even know where to begin changing things." Rein's probably underselling the risk, but then again people already live in a fantasy world of sorts. And rarely use this room anyways.

"You're free to come back and just try it out some time though. It sounds like you had an idea of something you wanted to experience."
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2019-05-17 at 02:40 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

HALO phone

“Could tell citizens virus cannot spread. Impossible. Their belief would shield them. But. Misinformation to public...risky business. Sunsworn would need to withhold truth of infection vector. Will not. Would need tell her you told me. Will not. For now, avenue viable only on small scale.
    Call again if research bears fruit. Now you stand with us.
    Fight! Win! Surviiiiiive.”
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

3. - Top - End - #303
    Barbarian in the Playground

HALO Phone

Sure thing.
    Nigel says, hanging up. He goes back to his notes and waits for his other scene to end so his timeline can make some semblance of sense again.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

4. - Top - End - #304
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by billtodamax View Post
    Labs

I will keep you in mind. Nigel says, looking around the labs. Looks pretty good for a start. Just a couple of things, are you fully human? I noticed your eyes are a little odd, so I thought... he trails off, walking around the lab as he speaks, looks at the various machines and testing apparatus and generally getting himself comfortable with the space. And uh... can I get that dude's number? You said his name was like... Reinholdt? Did Nigel know a Reinholdt? He wracks his brain, pulling out his phone and swiping through a few numbers. Not in there... I'm gonna want to be able to call him. Hopefully get my hands on some of those samples. He pulls a laptop out of his satchel along with a number of newspapers from various different publications, most of them with front page articles about the disease. If Mirai catches a glimpse of what he's doing on the laptop he'll see he's googled "cat".
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [HALO Phone]

The public phone to HALO rings, it probably has for a while considering the whole memetic outbreak but now it's displaying a potentially relevant caller ID.

Faith Sunsworn - Nexus Herald

She's the reporter that first broke the story about the disease.
    Labs

"I thought everyone's eyes were odd when I first came here, funny enough!" Mirai exclaims, chuckling. "This is how 'humans' look in my world, we call ourselves numans here. Our irises aren't as limited in possible colours, either." Mirai explains, as a drone flies over to meet him for some maintenance. He watches Nigel go about his business, focusing more on maintaining his weapons while the scientist picks up the phone and starts talking away.

Quote Originally Posted by billtodamax View Post
    HALO Phone

Sure thing.
    Nigel says, hanging up. He goes back to his notes and waits for his other scene to end so his timeline can make some semblance of sense again.
    Labs

By the time Nigel's done, Mirai's working on some device, just tinkering. "Here's Reinholdt's number." He says, handing a slip of paper to Nigel. "Are you alright by yourself? I need to return to my girlfriend in the room. Or more correctly, I'm a lightning clone the original Mirai made, and I need to go."

And if he's given leave to go, he'll disappear.

[Mirai and Zither's Room]

Mirai's eyes widen as the memories return to him. "Ah, new person. No, don't worry about it, Zii." He says, letting Zither know there's nothing to worry about.
    Avvie by yours truly.

You only need a few good friends in life; and you absolutely stick by them no matter what.

I don't use the registry on this site, ask me if you need more info about my charries.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Orc in the Playground

Mirai & Zither's Room

"What? Oh. You did that two places at once thing, right? That gets really disconcerting, Mirai. I lose track of which of you is the real you, y'know?" She agrees with most of his suggestions for their room, though, and doesn't blush about the box.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

I don't use the Registry; ask for a description if you don't know what my character looks like.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [Simulation Room]

"Time travel was an example of something it couldn't predict because the creators didn't know how time travel worked. At least in so far as how to cause time travel." Reinholdt says. "... At least... I think they didn't know..." Man, it'd be super awkward to press some buttons and suddenly reveal the secret to time travel to an investigative reporter. For once, Rein chooses not to push the buttons.

He tilts his head at her enthusiasm though. "Well, yes, I suppose there's always the risk of someone spending too much time in here. But no one's done it yet. I honestly doubt it'd ever become a problem. Very few people actually know what their dream world would be like. Wouldn't even know where to begin changing things." Rein's probably underselling the risk, but then again people already live in a fantasy world of sorts. And rarely use this room anyways.

"You're free to come back and just try it out some time though. It sounds like you had an idea of something you wanted to experience."
    [Simulation Room]

"People usually go for the simplest fantasies first before moving into entire dream worlds." Faith glances at the machine again. "Still, an amazing device that I wouldn't be surprised if people came to try out after hearing about it, so keep that in mind." She pauses as Rein mentions her own ideas however and raises her hands as if protesting.
    "It's fine, I probably- I mean, my ideas would be deeply personal and I shouldn't get that close to something I'm covering. Not really appropriate in my line of work, even if I do it on my free time. Maybe if I did it as a part of a therapy session, but it feels like its long way before psychology can catch up to this kind of technology. Especially since there is only one of them."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-05-20 at 08:25 AM.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

[Simulation Room]

"Iiii... really think you're overthinking a simulated relaxing day at the beach with no one else to bother you." Reinholdt shakes his head and shrugs.

"Anyways, will this suffice for the photo you wanted?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

8. - Top - End - #308

HALO Phone (this man will not stop calling people)

Yeah, that's all good. I've give you a yell if I need anything made.
    Nigel says, taking the number and plugging it into his phone, saving it in his contacts first and then giving it a ring.

Hey, is this Reinholdt?

Show

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

[Halo Phone]

The phone rings for a long time. If Nigel doesn't give up though, the recipient will finally pick up. The line is full of heavy breathing, a frenetic tone, frequent angry shouts from third parties, and a lot of questionable noises.

"Yes! What?! Who? Kinda busy."
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

10. - Top - End - #310

HALO Phone

Nigel likes to let the phone ring until the voice mail machine.

Hey, it's Nigel - I think we met once? Anyway I'm at HALO doing some preliminary work on this meme virus and I have a bunch of theories to test but I need those samples. They coming soon? He asks. No point assuming he's infected right away even though that is definitely the case.

Show

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

[HALO Phone]

"What? Yes. Did I not leave I note? I left a note. Did you not read the note? You can read right?" Surely whoever this impatient punk is, they are at least literate. Otherwise why are they working on such a sensitive thing? But they clearly can't read, otherwise they'd know Rein is working on it and will be back soon!

"Excuse me kid. Need that. Thanks." There's some shouts over the line for mommy, he stole my yo-yo. It's quite distressing. Give that kid his yo-yo back.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

12. - Top - End - #312
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [Simulation Room]

"Iiii... really think you're overthinking a simulated relaxing day at the beach with no one else to bother you." Reinholdt shakes his head and shrugs.

"Anyways, will this suffice for the photo you wanted?"
    [Simulation Room]

Faith smiles. "Prooobably, you're not the first one who said that, I call it a work-related injury." She gestures at the simulator. "Can I take a photo at a simulation too? Something impressive. I wasn't quite ready the first time."