New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Default Girl Genius XXIV: Ask Vit a Bit More Terror

It is a world ruled by Mad Science! Things happen. Usually, they happen to other people. This is entertainment. That's when the front door gets blown in- And you belatedly realize that, once again, you are doomed to be the entertainment in another exciting installment of: GIRL GENIUS!

Many elegant, finely-crafted, and vintage links follow:

Links to Previous Threads

Comic Links
    Link to current comic and link to the beginning of the strip. (Updates MWF, usually after Midnight [Eastern Time])
    The Continuing Adventures of Othar Tryggvassen, Gentleman Adventurer! (back on hiatus, may update in the future)
    A compilation (and much easier to read if you're just catching up) of the first three chapters can be found here at the GG website.
    And if one goes to snapbird.org and types in "Othar" in the 'Who?' field, all of Othar's adventures can be read on one page (albiet in reverse order of posting - Now must have a Twitter account to use).
    Mirror of the comic found on LiveJournal (No longer being updated as of Mid-May, 2017)
    Mirror of the comic found on Facebook (Will occasionally have Girl Genius related news)
    And one can find mirrors of Girl Genius on deviantArt as well. (Occasionally Kaja will put up or link to interesting GG related art that is found on dA)

Reference Links
    Wiki Project devoted to to Girl Genius
    Wikipedia entry on Girl Genius.
    TV Tropes page on Girl Genius.
    The Secret Blueprints (NOTE: Contains background information on the GG Universe, so it should probably be read after "catching up" to the newest comic, as it contains many spoilers.)

Social Media and News Links
    Phil Foglio's new Wordpress art, news, and blogging website.
    Kaja Foglio's LJ Page and Studio Foglio News LJ Page (Not currently being updated)
    Kaja & Phil's Personal Facebook Page (Not currently being updated)
    A twitter account that basically is a catch-all feed for Girl Genius related news.
    Cheyenne Wright's Twitter and LiveJournal Accounts (The colorist's twitter and LJ pages)
    And finally,
    Phil's old LJ page. (Occasionally contains crossposts from the Wordpress website)

====

Q: What is this "Sneaky Gate" y'alls go on about?

Sneaky gate: Named from this hidden gate in comic, it has become a name for viewing new comics early. Remember, if you're going to discuss the new comic, put it in spoiler boxes until the release time (12am EST).

Sneaky Gate 101:
    1. Right click the comic image.
    2. Select view image or copy paste the image location into the address bar.
    3. Modify the date to be the day you're trying to look at. (ex. 20120111 -> 20120113)
    4. Go to the modified url.
    5. Be disappointed when there's no early comic to read.
    6. Alternately, enjoy the comic!
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2018-08-28 at 03:16 PM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Girl Genius XXIV: Ask Vit a Bit More Terror

With the current plans to control Agatha & co and whatever is going on with Miss Fashionbug searching Zeetha's stuff for something from Skifander I almost expect this will end with the domes shattered and England on fire.
    And yes, I mean at the same time.
    Some hats might end up lost as well.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    With the current plans to control Agatha & co and whatever is going on with Miss Fashionbug searching Zeetha's stuff for something from Skifander I almost expect this will end with the domes shattered and England on fire.
    And yes, I mean at the same time.
    Some hats might end up lost as well.
    That sounds terrible! How will people be on time for tea!?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #4

They'll just use the fires to make tea. And maybe toast a few crumpets, while they're at it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    They'll just use the fires to make tea. And maybe toast a few crumpets, while they're at it.
    Toast? Underwater? Wouldn't the bread get wet?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Toast? Underwater? Wouldn't the bread get wet?
    Crumpets are incredibly durable. Who wouldn't want some crumpet under water?
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Now I am wondering what happens when you combine Jaegerspeak with high-class English accents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    If sparks can't make buttered crumpets that work underwater, what good are they?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed
    Now I am wondering what happens when you combine Jaegerspeak with high-class English accents
    Since Jaegerspeak is just an antiquated dialect of whatever the lingua franca in GG is*, English Jaegerspeak would just be Shakespearian (or perhaps Chaucerian, depending on just how old the Jaegers are) English.

*I think I read somewhere that it's Romanian.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    If sparks can't make buttered crumpets that work underwater, what good are they?
    Wait you think sparks are good for anything? Have you looked at this universe's state?

Since Jaegerspeak is just an antiquated dialect of whatever the lingua franca in GG is*, English Jaegerspeak would just be Shakespearian (or perhaps Chaucerian, depending on just how old the Jaegers are) English.
    Jägerspeak isn't supposed to be an eastern european accent? I thought it was.
    Considering the whole Pax Transilvania joke that would make sense. Not that it stopped them to make franco-english puns while in Paris. Why don't people keep their translation convention consistent?
    Forum Wisdom

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    I can see the marquee already: "The Incredible Mr. Crumet"!
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

11. - Top - End - #11

BlackDragon

Rakethorn really seems to have been over-promoted. He's being told by a spy that has spent a lot of time tracking Gil and Agatha and Tarvek about how much he is under-estimating all of them, and he is ignoring the warning.

That's a good example of "I know more from these reports than you do from direct exposure", and one promotion too many.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post

The comic has never said, but one of the GG print-novels mentions that, yes, Romanian is the official language of the Wulfenbach empire. Also, most educated people, Agatha among them, are multi-lingual.

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    Rakethorn really seems to have been over-promoted. He's being told by a spy that has spent a lot of time tracking Gil and Agatha and Tarvek about how much he is under-estimating all of them, and he is ignoring the warning.

That's a good example of "I know more from these reports than you do from direct exposure", and one promotion too many.
    When first he was first mentioned, it was noted he was somewhat in the doghouse over some lost Sparky engines. So it's surprising he's messing this up as well.
    Last edited by geoduck; 2018-08-28 at 11:41 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

It's alright Tarvek, you can admit you both like and trust Gil.

As a sandwich maker/monster puncher.

14. - Top - End - #14

It is possible that is his style, we have already had Zola and Tarvek (and even Gil) play the fool. Rakethorn could be asking probing questions and very carefully watching what sort of reactions he gets from them, while pretending not to watch.

Rakethorn may not entirely trust his fellow spy and some of his actions may be looking for clues as to divided loyalties or other future problems, eg Wooster also having loyalty to Gil, or wanting Gil+Agatha to keep Trelawney hope for himself.
    Last edited by multilis; 2018-08-29 at 12:27 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Rakethorn's been told no such thing. The information Wooster has provided him is "Tarvek is here" and "That was my initial assessment as well" and "Gil is your biggest problem." Perhaps Rakethorn hasn't noticed that Wooster is holding back w.r.t. Tarvek, but he has acknowledged that Gil is a problem and pointed out that Thorpe is managing it. No comeback was forthcoming regarding how much of an underestimate this is supposed to be.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

"Sure feels longer."

Foglios do love their little snippets of meta jokes.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Hmm... does that reaction mean Agatha is going to put curing Gil on the front burner? Well, after this pesky murder business is sorted?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    That sounds terrible! How will people be on time for tea!?
    "And any plan where you're later for tea is...?"
    "A bad plan?
    "Indeed, dear boy!"

Sorry. Some stereotypes need to be fed, even if it's just undersea crumpets. Hmm... we'll need to balance the recipe to coordinate with saltwater...
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

19. - Top - End - #19

SamuraiGuy

Clearly the Sparky solution would not be crumpets that taste good when dunked in seawater, but a crumpet which actively repels sea water so that you can lift it off the plate and put it in your mouth, nice and crisp. Of course you have to spit out the sea water repelling mechanism afterward, but that's why you have water repellant napkins.

I'm wondering if Rakethorn is perhaps ready to betray both Albia and Agatha while setting Wooster up to take the blame - that would give Wooster a reason to flee England and join Team Agatha.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Stabbey View Post
    Hmm... does that reaction mean Agatha is going to put curing Gil on the front burner? Well, after this pesky murder business is sorted?
    If so, I hazard that something will conspire to keep that from happening. Despite serious outside nefarious actors (like the Other, Baron Wulfenbach, Zola, the extra-dimensional beings, etc.), the comic acts much like a no villain plot -- most of the best storylines are about the protagonist-types acting against each other out of distrust, misinformation, opposing goals, each believing themselves to be the best person to do XYZ, etc. If we got Agetha, Gil, Tarvek, Wooster, and Higgs all in one place working towards one goal, the strip would be over in a heartbeat (and then the Foglios would have to disappoint 60% of their audience by having Agatha choose one of her suitors and not the other (or neither).

21. - Top - End - #21

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    If so, I hazard that something will conspire to keep that from happening. Despite serious outside nefarious actors (like the Other, Baron Wulfenbach, Zola, the extra-dimensional beings, etc.), the comic acts much like a no villain plot -- most of the best storylines are about the protagonist-types acting against each other out of distrust, misinformation, opposing goals, each believing themselves to be the best person to do XYZ, etc. If we got Agetha, Gil, Tarvek, Wooster, and Higgs all in one place working towards one goal, the strip would be over in a heartbeat (and then the Foglios would have to disappoint 60% of their audience by having Agatha choose one of her suitors and not the other (or neither).
    I predict that Gil gets cured in England but Agatha does not. Gil may be cured in the classic Love Triumphs manner akin to how the memories of a ghola were restored in the later Dune books - his father will take control so that Gil will let Agatha die, and Gil will say NOPE! to his father's override. Possibly with negative side effects, like memory loss or even diminished Sparkyness.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I think that the overlay in Gil's head was designed to be able to be removed or shutdown when the time came. Klaus loves his son and specifically went out of his way to make sure that Gil was his own person. Remember the first chapter was a test for Gil to make sure that Gil could tell his father that he was wrong. I also suspect that the overlay being intact may be needed for everyone to get out of England alive. The Queen's Mirror we sow screams foreshadowing to me and the Baron is the only person we know of that might know how to activate it as he did once already.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    then the Foglios would have to disappoint 60% of their audience by having Agatha choose one of her suitors and not the other (or neither).
    I do believe that all three are onboard for the answer to that being "both", there might be a few disappointed fans about that, but I wouldn't be one of them.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

24. - Top - End - #24

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    I think that the overlay in Gil's head was designed to be able to be removed or shutdown when the time came. Klaus loves his son and specifically went out of his way to make sure that Gil was his own person. Remember the first chapter was a test for Gil to make sure that Gil could tell his father that he was wrong. I also suspect that the overlay being intact may be needed for everyone to get out of England alive. The Queen's Mirror we sow screams foreshadowing to me and the Baron is the only person we know of that might know how to activate it as he did once already.
    I am not sure Klaus actually loves Gil. Needs an heir and finds Gil to be the best available seems possible. A possible plot twist is Klaus losing faith in Gil and the heir apparent becoming Zeetha - that would be one

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    I do believe that all three are onboard for the answer to that being "both", there might be a few disappointed fans about that, but I wouldn't be one of them.
    That would be very Heterodyne, of course. Marriage is something for people who care about rules. OTOH, one of them may have to die dramatically to save Agatha.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    I'm wondering if Rakethorn is perhaps ready to betray both Albia and Agatha while setting Wooster up to take the blame - that would give Wooster a reason to flee England and join Team Agatha.
    Unlikely. Gil told us that "to go against Albia of England's merest whim is literally unthinkable." While Wooster is potentially demonstrating that the conditioning could crack, I would find it doubtful that one of Albia's agents (who was presumably assigned to the SparkSphere to report on their activities) would turn against his boss for limited personal gain. Unless he's secretly been wasped or something, but that's what we just had happen in Paris so I really don't want it rehashed again here.

I think the thing that will "break" (for lack of a better word) Wooster is his relationships with Gil and Agatha during his time in Europa showing him that they are just decent people and that they have important stuff to deal with (stopping the Other, stabilizing Europa, preventing an extra-dimensional invasion) that just can't be done if they are permanently kept in England. At some point, they are going to want to leave, Rakethorn is going to try to stop them and Wooster will need to make a choice between Crown and Companions. And the fact that he's already withholding info from an agent of the Crown suggests that part of him already wants to go with companions.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    I am not sure Klaus actually loves Gil. Needs an heir and finds Gil to be the best available seems possible. A possible plot twist is Klaus losing faith in Gil and the heir apparent becoming Zeetha - that would be one.

I think Klaus truly loves Gil
    Forum Wisdom

27. - Top - End - #27

SamuraiGuy

Arguably, that's his "I'm so glad I have a worthy heir" smile. For a man like Klaus, "Loves" and "Has a need for" may have blurry edges.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

And exhibit B. Besides the obvious, this also strongly implies that Klaus is running the Empire for the sake of his son, and not the other way around, which blows the whole "only cares about Gil as heir to the Empire" thing out of the water.

29. - Top - End - #29

Could those two act any more like brothers? I know twins who are less brotherly than Gil and Tarvek.

And I doubt Higgs is buying any of that in the last panel.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    And exhibit B. Besides the obvious, this also strongly implies that Klaus is running the Empire for the sake of his son, and not the other way around, which blows the whole "only cares about Gil as heir to the Empire" thing out of the water.
    You posted before I could. Also remember what Klaus did to save Gil while he was still a baby. He clearly fought his way out of Skif to keep Gil safe (as well as leaving his wife who he clearly loves) and that was before any thoughts of empire.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!