New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XXIV: Ask Vit a Bit More Terror

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    Van Rjnn did both Art and Science. And I believe the Foglioes have been quoted as saying that Art Sparks do exist in-comic, even though Agatha hasn't met one yet.
    Gil does music extensively. So, for that matter, does Agatha. Tarvek is a fashion spark. Othar is an adventure spark. We also have a pie spark somewhere.

And the Master of Paris was called out as a spark of the arts during the introductory puppet show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    It's really impressive, truth be told. Only Girl Genius holds this level of consistency from my knowledge.
    As well as the above-mentioned Schlock Mercenary, criminally underrated long-running workplace-sitcom/sci-fi comic General Protection Fault has put out at least three on-time comics a week since 1998.

3. - Top - End - #543

SamuraiGuy

It's up, complete with fake faint by Higgs. "Aieee".

Early lead for next thread title: "It needs work! BUT THE CONCEPT IS SOUND!"
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

Wouldn't having Agatha near Gil trigger the overlay anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Early lead for next thread title: "It needs work! BUT THE CONCEPT IS SOUND!"
    That's a good one. This comic is just so quotable.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #545

Beholder

It's so simple! Everyone can understand it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hmmm. I had a suspicion this wasn't going to remotely fix Gil, as I implied in an earlier post, but it's even worse than I thought!

7. - Top - End - #547
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Gil does music extensively. So, for that matter, does Agatha. Tarvek is a fashion spark. Othar is an adventure spark. We also have a pie spark somewhere.

And the Master of Paris was called out as a spark of the arts during the introductory puppet show.
    I think the concept of an "X spark" where one primarily or only works in a specific field is mostly for lesser Sparks; protagonist-tier Sparks have demonstrated multiple times that they can turn their talents to pretty much whatever the need at hand is, no matter what their preferred field of work would be if you just gave them a lab and no pressing problem to solve..

Of course, that may be just as true for less powerful Sparks; it's possible all the apparent mono-focused Sparks we've seen as background and side characters simply have the luxury of devoting their time to whatever they like best. So the 'Pie guy' Spark just doesn't have any real reason to do anything other than find ways to apply SCIENCE! to pies, and Grandma Sturmvoraus's spectacle Spark is on retainer specifically because she likes plotting and putting on big giant shows, so there's no reason to bother her with asking her to do anything else.

8. - Top - End - #548

SamuraiGuy

I think what needs to happen is for Tarvek to somehow persuade Gil that he needs to wear the helmet and grasp the electrodes - and let's face it, Tarvek can do that without breaking a sweat. And then Agatha walks into the room, the Baron asserts control and Agatha hits the switch at the same instant.

Process better be either instantaneous or debilitating while it occurs, because the Baron in control of Gil's body could likely do a great deal of harm to Agatha in a very short period of time using only materials available in a biolab.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

9. - Top - End - #549

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Could today be the day where the Foglios finally missed an upload? After all a decade of consistently managing to upload a page of comics or anything related on a FWM schedule?

(It's really impressive, truth be told. Only Girl Genius holds this level of consistency from my knowledge.)
    Yet Another Fantasy Gamer Comic had updates every weekday for years. Rich was finally late the day Hilary and he had the second kid, and the schedule shattered completely a couple days later. As he put it, double the number of kids, quadruple the amount of housework.

Aaron Williams had a long streak of three a week updates for Full Frontal Nerdity as well.

And if you don't count inter-arc breaks, Darths and Droids hasn't missed an update yet I think.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Wouldn't having Agatha near Gil trigger the overlay anyway?
    She might have to fake a visit from her dearest mother (or initiate a real one in controlled circumstances), but it should be fairly easy overall, yes.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    She might have to fake a visit from her dearest mother (or initiate a real one in controlled circumstances), but it should be fairly easy overall, yes.
    She doesn't even have to do that. She just has to say she loves him.

12. - Top - End - #552

BlueWizardGirl

My guess is Lady Four-Arms is really Violetta in disguise. Bruises and injuries to help disguise her face and an extra pair of arms (I don't know how she did an extra pair of arms but, in this universe that's a small issue), because she just pulled off the classic get-more-info-by-pretending-to-already-know-everything maneuver.

13. - Top - End - #553

Figures he's involved. Odds on whether Agatha's going to get them killed by accident, or will they fall into Albia's incandescent clutches?

14. - Top - End - #554

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    My guess is Lady Four-Arms is really Violetta in disguise. Bruises and injuries to help disguise her face and an extra pair of arms (I don't know how she did an extra pair of arms but, in this universe that's a small issue), because she just pulled off the classic get-more-info-by-pretending-to-already-know-everything maneuver.
    Nah. I will be very surprised if Violetta is dead, but how would she know where and how to knock on a seemingly random wall to attract Mr. Eyeball's attention? If I was doing this plot, I'd have her faking her death and following Lady Steelgarter around invisibly.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Ettin in the Playground

Not to mention, how would Violetta know to come here?

16. - Top - End - #556
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"Best to keep them distracted". That's why Moonbark activated the canopic jar to release the whatever-it-was. To keep up the illusion that he's an excitable fool, and distract Gil from paying too much attention from him.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Stabbey View Post
    "Best to keep them distracted". That's why Moonbark activated the canopic jar to release the whatever-it-was. To keep up the illusion that he's an excitable fool, and distract Gil from paying too much attention from him.
    Given what Gil has gone through, that's probably going to mean Gil will pay MORE attention to him.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

18. - Top - End - #558

It will be interesting to see if Trelawny Thorpe dragged Gil into this because she's doing Albia's bidding or if she's also a member of this little conspiracy.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

That's a good question, but I really don't think Trelawny is in with these people. I really don't think they are smart enough to take on Albia even if they think they are. Trelawny seems smart enough to realize that.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

20. - Top - End - #560
    Troll in the Playground

I am the confused. This group kills (they think) a retainer of a visiting head of state, engages in acts of destruction and deception, and is generally not being nicey-nice while smiling and smiling and being a villain, and seems to be getting away with it. Or at least is convinced they have little to fear. This under a goddess like monarch. Something seems to be off, here.

I can think of possible explanations. They're doing this on Albia's orders. They're doing this under Albia's orders but adding their own touches which will wind up benefiting them and which they think they can shrug off as incidental. They're planning to topple Albia and compared to THAT, what's a bit of mayhem along the way? They're minions of the Other and have little choice in what they're doing. Or something.

We need more information as to motivation.

21. - Top - End - #561

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    I am the confused. This group kills (they think) a retainer of a visiting head of state, engages in acts of destruction and deception, and is generally not being nicey-nice while smiling and smiling and being a villain, and seems to be getting away with it. Or at least is convinced they have little to fear. This under a goddess like monarch. Something seems to be off, here.

I can think of possible explanations. They're doing this on Albia's orders. They're doing this under Albia's orders but adding their own touches which will wind up benefiting them and which they think they can shrug off as incidental. They're planning to topple Albia and compared to THAT, what's a bit of mayhem along the way? They're minions of the Other and have little choice in what they're doing. Or something.

We need more information as to motivation.
    Remember the master of paris frequently LET the malcontents do what they wanted. It was an opportunity to test his systems for leaks and bugs, and so long as it was below a certain threshold he really didnt care much. Immortal all powerful beings tend to take a long view on things. Sure the master wasnt immortal, but dude was still hundreds of years old. Anyways, point being, its entirely possible albia is aware of whats going on and is letting it happen for any of a number of reasons. All I know is, im going to be really annoyed if every capitol agatha enters has a regime change by the time she leaves. Sturmhalten or whatever it was called, taken over by the other, mechanicsburg, she took it over, castle wulfenbach? Now run by gil, paris? Run by one of the masters grand daughters, etc etc etc. You would think albia would keep that min mind.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    As well as the above-mentioned Schlock Mercenary, criminally underrated long-running workplace-sitcom/sci-fi comic General Protection Fault has put out at least three on-time comics a week since 1998.
    And there is also the grand-pappy of them all, Kevin and Kell, which I believe is the oldest extant daily webcomic, and one I'm also fairly certain has been released like clockwork as far back as I can recall.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-10-19 at 11:30 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

23. - Top - End - #563

SamuraiGuy

I wonder if Hopps is in on the scheme, or if he's conveniently offscreen far enough to not hear the schemers.

Doubt very much Steelgarter is a disguised Violetta.

Plans for the throne is somewhat ambiguous. Straightforward, Steelgarter (who is rich) intends herself to replace Albia. More deviously, they hope to be able to use control of the mirrors to control Albia and leave her in place as a rather imposing figurehead.

24. - Top - End - #564

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Remember the master of paris frequently LET the malcontents do what they wanted. It was an opportunity to test his systems for leaks and bugs, and so long as it was below a certain threshold he really didnt care much. Immortal all powerful beings tend to take a long view on things. Sure the master wasnt immortal, but dude was still hundreds of years old. Anyways, point being, its entirely possible albia is aware of whats going on and is letting it happen for any of a number of reasons. All I know is, im going to be really annoyed if every capitol agatha enters has a regime change by the time she leaves. Sturmhalten or whatever it was called, taken over by the other, mechanicsburg, she took it over, castle wulfenbach? Now run by gil, paris? Run by one of the masters grand daughters, etc etc etc. You would think albia would keep that min mind.
    Nitpick- Collette was Simon's daughter, not granddaughter. But yeah. I predict you're going to be disappointed, and that one way or another, by the time Agatha leaves England, Albia will no longer be on the throne. If the Princess Urania who has been mentioned at one point appears in person, the chances shoot up even higher, since she's the most likely "good ending" replacement. And Agatha will probably also figure out why England is sinking as well.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I suspect that Gil already knows why England is sinking but didn't figure out a way to make it stop. He probably knows a way to speed it up though or much worse. Unlike most Sparks Gil is not one for boasts he can't back up.

26. - Top - End - #566

I doubt Gil knows or cares why England is sinking. He has a plan to destroy it if needed or desired (not the same thing, even for Non-Sparks). And that is sufficient.

27. - Top - End - #567

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    I doubt Gil knows or cares why England is sinking. He has a plan to destroy it if needed or desired (not the same thing, even for Non-Sparks). And that is sufficient.
    Does he? I know he threatened Wooster by saying he'd destroy England if Agatha were harmed or imprisoned there, but I never got the impression he had an actual plan of how to do that--it was more a spur of the moment thing and he'd work out the details if and when he needed to, which so far is not the case.

28. - Top - End - #568

BlueWizardGirl

Problems with Steelgarter being Violetta:

1. Violetta has never shown disguise abilities like this or unusual abilities at subterfuge (kind of the opposite on subterfuge).

2. Smoke knights sneak, but I don't recall any of them showing major disguise skills either.

3. She would have to know where Steelgarter was going.

4. She has to make it look like the extra pair of arms belong.

5. She did a good job talking to the hidden monster Steelgarter was working with, something I don't see how she could have known about.

Reasons for:

1. Violetta's not dead. Ergo, she is somewhere, so why not here (ie, still taking an active part in the plot).

2. Steelgarter didn't backstab the guy who went to talk to Bang, even though that would have been standard villain procedure. Although, she's a British villain, and maybe that's just not cricket on her side of the pond (or should that be in her side of the pond?).

3. That was still a classic fishing-for-info line.

OK it's a weak case, but I'm still betting on more than Steelgarter not knowing a not-dead Smoke Knight when she sees one. I think Violetta did something cleverer than that.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    OK it's a weak case, but I'm still betting on more than Steelgarter not knowing a not-dead Smoke Knight when she sees one. I think Violetta did something cleverer than that.
    It's not a weak case. Although even Violetta admits she isn't a very good smoke knight, it's worth noting the reaction of the very good ones the page earlier. It is very much a characteristic of Violetta and Tarvek, 'though while Tarvek plays the underestimating card deliberately, Violetta does it accidentally.

I must admit that I am surprised to see what appears to be a rebellion against Albia - but I am relieved that Steelgarter isn't running under Albia's orders.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

30. - Top - End - #570

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Does he? I know he threatened Wooster by saying he'd destroy England if Agatha were harmed or imprisoned there, but I never got the impression he had an actual plan of how to do that--it was more a spur of the moment thing and he'd work out the details if and when he needed to, which so far is not the case.
    For the powerful sparks "How" is just a matter of incovenience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.