New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61

Default Re: Girl Genius XXIV: Ask Vit a Bit More Terror

Well, it was dedicated to a 'local battle goddess', so this could be more Ancient Queen Tech that's laying about unnoticed.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Calling it now: everything's ancient queen tech. Even the spark.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    Calling it now: everything's ancient queen tech. Even the spark.
    Well, it's a little short of a direct quote from the lass herself, but "The mirrors were old even before the rise of the Queens. Albia has never directly said so, of course, but I believe their workings were a mystery, even to one such as She.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

4. - Top - End - #64

PirateCaptain

Created by time-travelling Queens. But seriously, yes, I had forgotten that line.

5. - Top - End - #65

Um, I always assumed that Zeetha had simply filed her teeth.

She wouldn't be the first warrior to do just that and I think it fits her culture.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    Created by time-travelling Queens. But seriously, yes, I had forgotten that line.
    Well, let's at least consider the possibility since we have the Muse of Time floating around somewhere. Have we seen anyone else actually time-travelling besides:

• The appearances of Agatha, Gil, Von Zinzer and the Muse.
    • The trip through the mirror (which could have been due to the time stop firing at the same time).

We know that people have been researching it:
    • A Hetrodyne researching time and apparently summoning the Dreen.
    • Professor Tobber also researching time
    • Uncle Tick-tock researching (possibly)
    • Prende's Lantern (possibly a result of Van Ryjin)
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

7. - Top - End - #67
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Onyavar View Post

She wouldn't be the first warrior to do just that and I think it fits her culture.
    Dont the characters often get sharp teeth during certain scenes or emotions? Its like an anime sweatdrop or something. Only displaying hunger, anger, fierceness etc.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #68

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Well, let's at least consider the possibility since we have the Muse of Time floating around somewhere. Have we seen anyone else actually time-travelling besides:

• The trip through the mirror (which could have been due to the time stop firing at the same time).
    Don't forget Tarvek's Tenuously Truthful Twitter-Tale Time Travel Twist (or the questionably-canonical time travel seen in Othar's Twitter, for people who prefer clarity over aliteration).

9. - Top - End - #69

BlackDragon

That doesn't really work with the way they're usually portrayed, though--she appears to have entirely regular flat teeth, just with really large incisors. If she filed her teeth then they would all appear triangular with her mouth open, which doesn't seem to be the case as far as I can see.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post

We know that people have been researching it:
    • A Hetrodyne researching time and apparently summoning the Dreen.
    • Professor Tobber also researching time
    • Uncle Tick-tock researching (possibly)
    • Prende's Lantern (possibly a result of Van Ryjin)
    The Muse of Time herself is/was/will be doing something that MIGHT be time travel. Van Rijn indicated she would appear at different times non-sequentially: She wouldn't remember conversations they'd had, or would refer to conversations they'd have in the future. Now, that same effect would happen if you were using a time window to talk with a person at different times; but the Muse apparently was there, physically. Or it might be that she's something like a Dreen, and her view and knowledge of time is not the same as ours.

11. - Top - End - #71

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Dont the characters often get sharp teeth during certain scenes or emotions? Its like an anime sweatdrop or something. Only displaying hunger, anger, fierceness etc.
    Yes, for example Gil's madness place someone linked above, trying to argue that Gil and Zeetha had the same dental condition. (and all the monsters are also very toothy when angry, of course)
    But, as others have mentioned, Zeetha always has these teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    That doesn't really work with the way they're usually portrayed, though--she appears to have entirely regular flat teeth, just with really large incisors. If she filed her teeth then they would all appear triangular with her mouth open, which doesn't seem to be the case as far as I can see.
    Okay, I suppose it doesn't make sense to file all your teeth flat so that your sharpened incisors get the proper attention.

But unexplained as Zeetha's teeth are, I still refuse to believe that "Zeetha (and all Skifandrians?) must be (similar to) Jäger because of their dentalwork".
    "Things are the same or related because they look vaguely alike" is NOT scientific thinking. A smaragd isn't green because it does photosynthesis and even the reddest ruby never circulated in a blood stream. If im proven wrong about zeetha here, I hope the Foglios are proving me wrong with science.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Firbolg in the Playground

But unexplained as Zeetha's teeth are, I still refuse to believe that "Zeetha (and all Skifandrians?) must be (similar to) Jäger because of their dentalwork".
    My reading of that exchange is that Jaegers remind Zeetha of how Skifandrians think and act. This makes a significant amount of sense, since both are largely militarized societies that place value on honor and combat prowess. I suspect that Zeetha can take most Jaegers one-on-one, but the Jaegers are also significantly more durable. I think that line was mostly to show that Zeetha is on top of things. Also, it gives her a chance to poke fun at Maxim and Oggie being horribly unsneaky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I don't know about Jaegers being a huge amount more durable than Zeetha. Remember she took a sword through the her chest and survived. A normal person would have been dead instantly. She not be as upgraded as much the Jaegers (or Gil), but she is not too far behind them. The question is if the toughness is natural, sparky or something else.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

14. - Top - End - #74

Beholder

And to think that all this time I thought that the sharp teeth were just an artist's quirk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

15. - Top - End - #75

I agree with everyone that Zeetha was talking about mental attitude, not physical appearance.

And I suspect that her surviving getting skewered was more artistic license on the Foglios' part than her being enhanced somehow, but I'll be happy to be proved wrong eventually.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    And to think that all this time I thought that the sharp teeth were just an artist's quirk.
    Phil's style exaggerates teeth when characters are excited, but the characters also have some level of consistency of overall sharpness--most regular people have a "realistic" amount of jaggedness to their teeth when Phil's exaggerating them, while Zeetha consistently has pronounced canines, the Jaegers (and other monstrosities) have shark-like sawblade-teeth, and so on.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2018-09-02 at 02:27 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Firbolg in the Playground

New Comic

Spoiler: My Response
    Show
    Nooooooo! I liked Violetta!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    This may just be denial, but I'm not buying Violetta dead. Steelgarter left ample evidence behind about what had happened and is badly injured with a need to get out fast. I don't see that she gained anything by hiding Violetta's body, but doing it cost her time and energy when she doesn't have either to spare.

So, it's perfectly logical that Violetta's all right, isn't it? Isn't it!!?? (bites nails and worries)

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    This may just be denial, but I'm not buying Violetta dead. Steelgarter left ample evidence behind about what had happened and is badly injured with a need to get out fast. I don't see that she gained anything by hiding Violetta's body, but doing it cost her time and energy when she doesn't have either to spare.

So, it's perfectly logical that Violetta's all right, isn't it? Isn't it!!?? (bites nails and worries)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe not "hide," more "disposed of." And I, too, doubt that she's truly dead. I mean, how many main characters have actually died so far? Klaus even survived a building falling on him.

Of course, having said that, this would be the perfect time to pull a bait and switch by not pulling a bait and switch and actually having her die for real. Though, an off-screen death to a minor character we just met would be rather lame, so probably not.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I mean, how many main characters have actually died so far?
    Depends on what you mean by "main".

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I sincerely doubt Violetta's dead dead, and even dead dead can be raised back to undead, but this strip otherwise does a good job at raising the tension.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I have a feeling she's still alive. Partly because I'm sure she can handle stuff like this, also because I'm not just going to take someone's word that they killed a smoke knight. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if she figured faking it would be a good way to find out what all Steelgarter is up to.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Meh. I wouldn't count anyone out without seeing their dead body burnt to Ashes and cast into the wind.
    And even then I wouldn't bet on it.

Besides, monsters always pop up again after some clown thinks they killed them.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

24. - Top - End - #84

Spoiler
    Show
    I would be very surprised and impressed if the Foglios really did kill Violetta off. And I'm betting that Mr. Eyeball there might not be so casually accepting about Lady Steelgarter's plan to bug out.

25. - Top - End - #85

It looks like whoever is on the other side of that door is wearing some kind of face mask. Maybe the 'dead' scientist isn't really dead?

Oh, and put me in the Violetta Ain't Going Down To Some Fifth Stringer column/

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Until I see a body, I doubt Violetta is down. Based on the very fact that they didn't show us a body in the comic in which they announced her death, I think she's still very much alive.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

27. - Top - End - #87
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Yeah, I'm thinking the odds of Violetta actually being dead are somewhere around 0.001%. My guess is she faked her death and followed this lady to get more intel.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

28. - Top - End - #88

BlackDragon

I agree with Douglas and Rinvak--as soon as we heard her say she's killed Violetta, but there's no body back where Zeetha and Oggie are, I suspected Violetta is springing a trap to track down what's going on.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

On top of all this...
    Spoiler
    Show
    We didn't even see the fight. Chances of a major supporting character getting offed off-panel by a literally-who in a work by authors who rarely kill anyone properly even when they're on panel are slim to none--and even if Violetta is dead, unless her braincase was fricasseed Agatha and Tarvek will probably be able to revive her anyway.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I agree with Douglas and Rinvak--as soon as we heard her say she's killed Violetta, but there's no body back where Zeetha and Oggie are, I suspected Violetta is springing a trap to track down what's going on.
    It might not be a trap, it might just be that Violetta was forced to play dead or die for real, and used her Smoke Knight magic to mkae it appear like she was fully dead. But yeah, I don't believe for a minute that they're going to kill Violetta permanently offscreen.