Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Thoughts on pineapple on pizza?

I'll go get my popcorn. You guys can start 😎

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Thoughts on pineapple on pizza?

Good one, have to try tho.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

It's not my favorite for sure. I can eat it when I'm in the proper mood for it. One of my kids absolutely loves the stuff though.
    We came to wreck everything, and ruin your life.....God sent us.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

As a vegetarian who is allergic to peppers and dislikes both olives and mushrooms, pineapple is about the only pizza topping I can have, so I get pineapple pizza quite a bit. (I'll add spinach and/or feta cheese if available, though. Sometimes I also get tomatoes, particularly if it's a place that uses peppers in its tomato sauce and thus means I had to order an olive oil sauce-layer pizza instead of a tomato sauce-layer pizza.)

I'm not sure when our culture moved from anchovies being the controversial pizza topping to pineapple being the controversial pizza topping somehow. (I don't even see anchovies listed as a topping option anymore, which I suppose I can't actually complain about since I don't eat fish.)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Pineapple is not a good pizza topping, nor does it taste nice when it is not on a pizza.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I enjoy it, especially with some ham. Not an always food by any means, though, and no shade intended at anybody who doesn't like it.

Algeh how does the feta go with the pineapple? I wouldn't have thought to try that.
    LGBTA+itP

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

My thought is "can I get someone to send me some please? I'm hungry."
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

8. - Top - End - #8

Flumph

Acceptable only with ham, or some twist on the Hawaiian pizza. Putting it with mushrooms or olives is downright blasphemy in my books.

9. - Top - End - #9

I'd rather have pineapple on my pizza than banana, but strawberry is better than pineapple, simply because pineapple tastes better cooked a different way rather than soaked in cheese grease (such as grilled, or roasted, etc) and with strawberry you can get away with putting chocolate on top, too.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2018-08-29 at 11:43 PM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Pizza Hawaii is not my favored pizza, but I still like it. (Of the "Hawaii" family of food, I prefer Chicken Hawaii > Toast Hawaii > Pizza Hawaii)

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    I enjoy it, especially with some ham. Not an always food by any means, though, and no shade intended at anybody who doesn't like it.

Algeh how does the feta go with the pineapple? I wouldn't have thought to try that.

I like it, but I'm an odd duck in terms of what I will and won't eat (I have a lot of food allergies and I'm a vegetarian). Basically, pizza is much less salty without cured meat products all over it (I'd usually order the "every meat you have except chicken" pizza before becoming a vegetarian), so when I went vegetarian I felt like my pizza was losing both texture and flavor. Feta adds some salt (and some funk) to help compensate for the fact that I'm not getting any sausage, and has a very different texture than pineapple.

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    Pizza Hawaii is not my favored pizza, but I still like it. (Of the "Hawaii" family of food, I prefer Chicken Hawaii > Toast Hawaii > Pizza Hawaii)
    I'm not familiar with either Chicken Hawaii or Toast Hawaii. I'm familiar with Hawaiian pizza (pineapple and Canadian bacon), but can't conjure up when you mean by the other two. (I used to cook chicken with pineapple and barbecue sauce, though.)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Hawaii chicken is just chicken with soy and pineapple juice over rice. Usually but not always stir-fried or grilled. Hawiaan toast is...disgusting. It's a broiled open face sandwich with cheese, pineapple and ham (in that order) with a marachino cherry on top after the sandwich is broiled. It's a 1950's era thing from Germany (West.) similar to vintage ham wrapped bananas in the United States. Which probably would work if you got your hands on the bananas we had back in the 1950's (they're not the same monoculture.) That recipe might still work if you used plantains considering how starchy they are.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I quite like pineapple on pizza, but it also depends on what else they put on there. There is one pizzeria close to a friend of mine (where we order if we roleplay at his place) who also insists on putting corn on there and I really dislike corn in all its forms. So there I have something else. The only way I eat corn is when it's turned into chicken.

What I really like is put a fresh (not canned) pineapple slice with a bit of rum in aluminium foil and that on a barbecue as dessert. Yummy.
    Last edited by farothel; 2018-08-30 at 01:39 AM.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post
    I'm not familiar with either Chicken Hawaii or Toast Hawaii. I'm familiar with Hawaiian pizza (pineapple and Canadian bacon), but can't conjure up when you mean by the other two. (I used to cook chicken with pineapple and barbecue sauce, though.)
    Razade is spot on in regards to Toast Hawaii, but wrong when it comes to Chicken Hawaii. That's basically a Cordon Bleu, but made out of chicken meat and filled with ham, cheese and, well, pineapple.

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    It's a 1950's era thing from Germany (West.)
    There's some recipes from that time that I really like, cheesy as they are.
    Last edited by Florian; 2018-08-30 at 03:15 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Razade is spot on in regards to Toast Hawaii, but wrong when it comes to Chicken Hawaii. That's basically a Cordon Bleu, but made out of chicken meat and filled with ham, cheese and, well, pineapple.
    Different presentation, similar ingredients. Can't find cheese in any recipe that I own.

There's some recipes from that time that I really like, cheesy as they are.
    Here at least, mayo is a dominant thing. I'm not one who dislikes mayo but when the recipe calls for "two jars of mayo" it's a wonder how they didn't have an obesity problem too. (Yes I know that there were less sedentary jobs and corn filler and an over sugar-ing of food has led to the modern obesity crisis, you know what I mean).

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Here at least, mayo is a dominant thing. I'm not one who dislikes mayo but when the recipe calls for "two jars of mayo" it's a wonder how they didn't have an obesity problem too. (Yes I know that there were less sedentary jobs and corn filler and an over sugar-ing of food has led to the modern obesity crisis, you know what I mean).
    Sorry, I meant that they are "cheesy" in the sense of being comically old-school from our modern POV.

But, yeah, that's funny, especially knowing the the East more or less by accident had a vast overproduction of eggs and dairy products, hence an overproduction of mayo, so people started to use that stuff excessively. Think Schichtsalat. (Schichtsalat is... a kinda nightmare. Think drowning sliced sausage, corn, peas, pineapple and other stuff in an equal amount of mayonnaise.....)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry, I meant that they are "cheesy" in the sense of being comically old-school from our modern POV.

But, yeah, that's funny, especially knowing the the East more or less by accident had a vast overproduction of eggs and dairy products, hence an overproduction of mayo, so people started to use that stuff excessively. Think Schichtsalat. (Schichtsalat is... a kinda nightmare. Think drowning sliced sausage, corn, peas, pineapple and other stuff in an equal amount of mayonnaise.....)
    I tried that once while I was studying in Tuebingen - yeah, not my favorite. On the subject of German pizza, I do have to say that I had a good laugh when I saw "American" pizza in the grocery store that featured corn as a topping. I really did enjoy flammkuchen though. There were several things like that where it seems like they'd heard about something they were doing over in Italy but didn't have any Italians around to ask how to make it, so they made it up on their own. Tastes really good, but definitely not the dish they were trying to make. Maultaschen was another one.

Pineapple on pizza is great, as long as it's accompanied by ham. (My daughter likes to include black olives as well).

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    I tried that once while I was studying in Tuebingen - yeah, not my favorite. On the subject of German pizza, I do have to say that I had a good laugh when I saw "American" pizza in the grocery store that featured corn as a topping. I really did enjoy flammkuchen though. There were several things like that where it seems like they'd heard about something they were doing over in Italy but didn't have any Italians around to ask how to make it, so they made it up on their own. Tastes really good, but definitely not the dish they were trying to make. Maultaschen was another one.
    Hm.....

Actually, there were two different kinds of pizza in Italy, that only got merged into one recently, so basically after WWII: Red and White. Red was the southern, or more neapolitan style that came with tomato, but without cheese, while white was the more central, or more via romanian style, that came with mozzarella, but without any sauce. (Tipp: Try a white pizza with salsiccia)

Flammkuchen originates from France and goes back to the napoleonic era. While pizza developed as food for the poorest of the poor, Flammkuchen was the thing for an army on the move. Consider this: Smoked and preserved bacon was easy to carry, creme freche, onions and basic flour something that can be taken from any village along the treck - same background as with "Wiener Schnitzel", btw.

Maultaschen, Schlutzkrapfen and other such typical food in the Alps region are actually the "original", when it comes to "filled" pasta. Waaaay easier to preserve, handle and trade. Try the ones with Sauerkraut and smoked bacon, just delicious.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post

Pineapple on pizza is great, as long as it's accompanied by ham. (My daughter likes to include black olives as well).
    Corn and mayo, I've been told, are both really popular toppings for pizza in South Korea of all places.

Hm.....

Flammkuchen originates from France and goes back to the napoleonic era. While pizza developed as food for the poorest of the poor, Flammkuchen was the thing for an army on the move. Consider this: Smoked and preserved bacon was easy to carry, creme freche, onions and basic flour something that can be taken from any village along the treck - same background as with "Wiener Schnitzel", btw.
    As my understanding goes, it's from a wide region and well before the Napoleonic era, I've found in just quick google searches of recipes as early as the 1600's but...the paper trail is pretty dim. Flammkuchken doesn't seem to hit any form of popularity until the mid 70's from all my searching. Either way, way before Bonaparte. France claims it but it's also claimed (as soooo many foods are) by everyone around. They were made to test the heat levels of wood ovens. If the flammkuchen (or Tarte Flambee) crisped up swiftly and burned around the edges the oven was hot enough for other things.
    Last edited by Razade; 2018-08-30 at 07:46 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Corn and mayo, I've been told, are both really popular toppings for pizza in South Korea of all places.
    This is madness. They're doing pizza wrong.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ive been stabbed by pineapples through puncture resistant gloves we use for cleaning up glass safely. Burn the devil fruit.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

22. - Top - End - #22
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Ive been stabbed by pineapples through puncture resistant gloves we use for cleaning up glass safely. Burn the devil fruit.
    Yeah. YOu can't really trust any plant that contains meat-digesting enzymes.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

'Sokay.

Not the best topping ever, but not the worst either.

(The worst are mushrooms. Can't stand 'em. )
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post
    As a vegetarian who is allergic to peppers and dislikes both olives and mushrooms, pineapple is about the only pizza topping I can have, so I get pineapple pizza quite a bit.
    Algeh, what are your thoughts on "Bianca/White pizza" (I believe it is cheese, garlic, cream, onions & spinach - sort of an Alfredo sauce on pizza)? I find it quite delicious (I do add bacon when offered, but I have had it without and it loses little of its charm).

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-08-30 at 09:01 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

@Razade:

Food and historical data is always a bit of a problem. I tend to only look out for when something entered the "mainstream" and got adopted into the wider "culture".

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Bah, S1 equipment is for sissies.

But: Something I learned in Maui, you can actually make a pretty decent pineapple vodka (No, not vodka spiced with pineapple juice, vodka made out of pineapple juice!). So "burning" the devil fruit is pretty cool.
    Last edited by Florian; 2018-08-30 at 09:13 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Algeh, what are your thoughts on "Bianca/White pizza" (I believe it is cheese, garlic, cream, onions & spinach - sort of an Alfredo sauce on pizza)? I find it quite delicious (I do add bacon when offered, but I have had it without and it loses little of its charm).

Grey Wolf
    I'm not sure I've ever had it, actually. I can usually have onions (sometimes my body will decide I can't eat something anymore, and that happens with onions every few years, but they're back in the rotation again for now), so there's nothing on there I absolutely have to avoid, but it doesn't seems to be the kind of thing that ends up as one of the selections at "by the slice" places, so I'm not sure that I've ever tried it. (I tend to just read the toppings list and order a custom pie with the toppings I know I like at places that sell a pie at a time.) I'll have to keep an eye out and see if it's on the menu at the places where I've been custom ordering.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Back when I ate pizza it was a bit of a shrug earner from me. I prefer very thick pizza with a lot of toppings, but I don't like sweet flavors mixed in. Chicago style with mushrooms, sausage, olives, peppers and assorted almost green bits for me thanks.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

There are no pineapples in Italy; therefore, there should be no pineapples on pizza.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    There are no pineapples in Italy; therefore, there should be no pineapples on pizza.
    I mean...tomatoes aren't indigenous to Italy either but they seem to have adopted them fairly well.

30. - Top - End - #30

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    Pizza with only Italian ingredients is just a handful of mushrooms and olives (served in a bowl or on a plate). No tomatoes, peppers, garlic, or even wheat for the dough.