New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default ASI for a Paladin/Bard

I'm currently playing in an Out of the Abyss campaign (please, no spoilers) and I'm wondering what to take at level 10 on my Oath of the Ancients Paladin/Lore Bard. EDIT: Would be Paladin 6/Bard 4 at that point. I'm specalizing in two-handed weapons because we've ruled that we can reroll 1s and 2s on all dice for a melee attack with a two handed weapon.

My current stats are Half-Elf:

Str 18
    Dex 13
    Con 16
    Int 10
    Wis 12
    Cha 18
    I can see arguments for boosting Strength, Charisma, or picking up Warcaster, Lucky, Great Weapon Master, Resilient Dex, or Inspiring Leader. Any advice?
    Last edited by Lord Ruby34; 2018-09-01 at 04:29 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: ASI for a Paladin/Bard

What's your role within the party? What's your goal with the character?

It sounds like you're trying to be a smite machine, in which case you should jack your strength. You can't smite if you don't hit, after all. An argument could be made for GWM here, but again, you can't smite if you don't hit.

If you want to be more spell caster then warcaster is solid and helps make sure you don't lose that all important buff/debuff spell.

If you're more tanky frontliner then I'd recommend a charisma boost for the saving throw help plus extra bardic inspiration is never a bad thing.

My suggestion is figure out what niche you're aiming for and then decide how to fill it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Right now I'm the only dedicated frontliner, but that could change. The party is a Monk, Rogue, Sorcerer, and Archer Fighter, but the end of last session left it in doubt how long the archer is going to last.

Right now I'm honestly trying to do all of the above, but I'm casting spells more than smiting, honestly.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Inspiring Leader would come in pretty handy. Sentinal, in particular, is good if you're trying to keep enemies away from the rest of your party. Outside of that I'd just go for +2 Str or Cha.
    Reality is relative, and there is an exception to every rule.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Planetar

Sentinel or Inspiring Leader usually are the go to options.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ruby34 View Post
    I can see arguments for boosting Strength, Charisma, or picking up Warcaster, Lucky, Great Weapon Master, Resilient Dex, or Inspiring Leader. Any advice?
    Inspiring leader would save more damage than anything else, 14 thp is nothing to sneeze at.
    It's better than sentinel IMHO.

Using a 2-hander leaves your offhand free, no point in warcaster.
    With Con16 and aura,boosting your saves seems unnecessary.

Str/Cha are fine at 18. You might want Str20 if you ever pick GWM.
    Trust but verify. There's usually a reason why I believe you can't do something.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks guys. I think you've convinced me on Inspiring Leader. I was leaning that way but I kinda wanted someone to tell me I'm right.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

You can't go wrong with +2 Str, +2 Cha, or Inspiring Leader. Flip a 3 sided coin and let it decide lol