The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Silly Plots 3: With government backing we can make it very silly

[An Epic Quest]

"I do, actually, but it seems to be moot," Corvus muses. "Our guide's plan seems to be the more efficient one anyways."
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

2. - Top - End - #482

[Thariza's Journey]

Ikharos turns to look at Ambrosia when Thariza asks this question.
    The scholar does not exchange this look however. "I do happen to have a tool to help coax the remains of souls, yes. But what exactly do you need from them? A memory? Emotions? How complete does the spirit still have to be for you to be able to do anything with it?"

Sky High

Cessie folds her hands together. "Jezebel, please don't accept this position out of some obligation based on our relationship. This isn't something you can just begrudgingly accept as this is about much more than just you and me. What I'm asking for her is your competence and I would have asked for it regardless of what has happened between us. I need to know if you can be loyal to VIGIL's cause, not to me and the same goes to your coworkers. I know that there is something psuedoreligions going on with 'your people' and that's why I'm glad when I hear you say that most of them will simply go back to normal lives. We just need the people that believe in our cause, not any others." The sorceress pauses for a moment to let what she has said sink in.

"As for compenstation, monetary and otherwise, none of you will be 'official' members. Officially, you will all be working for me, or well, us. The exact details of that still to be settled. But officially they will have 'normal' jobs, like Charles. Perhaps even working for some false company. The point is that I'm not asking them to be official VIGIL members both since it will make them safer and considering what they're going to be working with it might be best that they not associated with us at all officially. Do you get what I'm saying?
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-09-20 at 09:52 AM.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ogre in the Playground

An Epic Quest

Willa looks about the stable warily.
    ”To ask a spirit for aid I would need room to dance. And a bowl, preferably of fine make. And several minutes. If you can give me the second and third of these things I can try.” Of course there’s no telling what she might summon in this other realm. Maybe it’s easier if they did something else. Their guide seems rather paranoid.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ogre in the Playground

Sky High

"I'm weighing our relationship into this only because I trust you. I know you won't leave me or my people out to dry if the situations we'll be asked to take part in turns sour. Knowing that and hearing that my people would not be officially members helps assuage my worries a great deal. Far more than if anyone else were saying it."
    She admits before giving a small sigh. "But what I find doubts about is...well, let me put it this way. You're asking me to join Vigil. I have fought against Vigil, I have fought alongside it, I have lead a cult and a city and have defended both by putting myself on the front line. And despite all of my talents and history, both public and private, despite being asked to join, you've stated that I would need to prove myself to Vigil? Perhaps it is simple arrogance or pride on my part but if I haven't already proven myself capable and potentially loyal to the cause of protection the realm we live in, then I never can prove myself. I'm not someone who is just walking in off the street that no one knows about, Cessie." She points out, clearly feeling apologetic for explaining it all. "I know special treatment is not something an organization like Vigil can afford easily, but what more can I do than to take a blade in defending a city or helping bankroll the organization?"

5. - Top - End - #485
    Titan in the Playground

[Thariza's Journey]

Thariza stops and thinks for a while.

"I don't think I'm going to summon or control the spirits, really. It's not... I'm not a necromancer. But I do think I can channel them and use their desire to protect this tower. Show them there are invaders trying to take it again. If nothing else, maybe the lunatics outside will run when they see their ghosts pouring out. Let's just hope they're not like us and won't take it as a challenge. Can you help me channel them and work them up into a fighting mood?"
    Last edited by Morty; 2019-09-20 at 05:01 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gulaghar and Purple Eagle.

6. - Top - End - #486

An Epic Quest

"A bowl I can do. Room..." Their guide looks to the side, in the direction of the snoring. "Follow me." She gestures and moves towards a set of large doors. They will move past a dark skinned young man sleeping on a rug in one of the horse pens. He does not rouse even as their guide slams the doors wide open.

On the other side is a small yard confined by a wooden fence. But while the yard itself is clean there is the unmistakable smell of excretment here. A strong sense of smell will tell its owner that its coming from a building on the opposing side, specifically a small window opening facing them. Must be for a tiny room...

Their guide gestures around the yard. "Will thiss do?"

[Thariza's Journey]

"I think my tool would be able to evoke that, yes." The scholar nods thoughfully. "What else do you need I`m afraid we´re a bit short on space due to Ikharos ritual but if you need it there is always the top floor." Ikharos chooses to ignore her little spike, simply turning back to what he was working on.

Ambrosia does likewise, not even giving him a glance. "We might need some theatrics to go with this. How good are you at intimidation, Thariza?"

Sky High

"I`m not asking your to prove yourself to Wenomir or me, Jezebel. We know what you can do and what you´re capable of. But because of all those reasons you stated I see you as commander material. Yet I can`t just promote you to commander right away for two reasons. First since that I would be showing you favoritism of course. But more importantly, and the reason I`m asking your to ¨prove¨ yourself, are for our newer members to, well, bond with you. If I simply wanted you as yet another member I would never have asked it and if you would rather settle for that then I won`t ask for it. However, the chain of command is build on trust as I´m sure you`re aware and many of our newer members might just have heard of you from stupid rumors. So I`m asking you to prove those rumors false and show them what a great commander you can be." Cessie attempts to explain. "I mean, you could always just join and ¨prove¨yourself later? It`s up to you."

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ogre in the Playground

Sky High

Jezebel looks down at the table as she listens, silent and resting her chin on her hands. "...Regardless of my unofficial duties, I would need to join Vigil officially. I'd be training new recruits and testing them? As well as the other forces under Vigil's command?" She asks, finally smiling a bit. It's a weak smile, but it's an improvement to how she'd been mere moments ago. "I suppose I can live with that. I admit I'm probably not the best teacher, but I can pass on what I know and at least bring on those of my people who can teach other skills. I do have a condition though. Can I at least get a fancy title and uniform? You know I'm a bit of a sucker for prestige, even if it is shallow."

8. - Top - End - #488
    Titan in the Playground

[Thariza's Journey]

Thariza... actually grins a little bit. It's a broad and toothy smile.

"I'd say I'm pretty good. I did keep my... warband in line." Her grin falters, but she soldiers on. "And I could put the scare into any cubs straight out of the fahrar with something to prove. Serving in Ascalon means I know a thing or two about crazy vengeful ghosts, too."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gulaghar and Purple Eagle.

9. - Top - End - #489

Sky High

"That'd be the idea, yeah." Cessie replies with a far less catious smile. "Well, it will be training won't it? You already have two children of your own so see this as getting a lot of adult temporary children to your rooster. Some of them might as well be if your compare life-experiences." Her smiles once more, even wider this time. "But of course. Did you have a particular title and uniform in mind? All you need to do is keep yourself to our color scheme." That Wenomir insisted on not doing!

[Thariza's Journey]

"Then we have a plan." Ambrosia smiles back as she places her armored hand on Thariza's shoulder which isn't the easiest thing to do considering the height difference between the two women. "Though you didn't tell me what else you needed for this." A beat. "Perhaps I should just start evoking the spirits?"

10. - Top - End - #490
    Titan in the Playground

[Thariza's Journey]

"If there's any equipment useful for... this thing I do, no one exactly gave me a manual," Thariza says. "Bring out the spirits and I will communicate with them. Channel their strength. It won't be unlike what I can already do with one of the legends I know."

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ogre in the Playground

Sky High

"As long as I'm not called babysitter or dressed as a maid and expected to clean up after them, anything goes."
    Jezebel retorts, smiling stronger now that they had a bit of banter again. "How about Knight-Errant? It's a bit simpler of a title than I had initially desired, but it still gets the point across and is something the others are likely to actually call me." She decides after a moment of thought. "As far as uniform goes, the colors are black and gold, right? I'll have a few outfits tailored and ready to go." Probably going to be something flashy if her grin is anything to go by. "But before all of that...I would like to go and see the place. I want to see the view and look it over after we're through here if that is alright with you. I know there's housing for commanders there, but I've yet to see it."

12. - Top - End - #492

Sky High

"No, we have other people to clean up after them. Some of the new members are particularly colorful. Rein's daughter for one. She doesn't seem anything like him however." Cessie appear thoughtful for a moment before Jezebel brings her out of her reverie. "Oh, of course. I had intended to give you a guided tour myself in fact. You expected anything less from me? You can finally get to see how I work which is only fair considering I've seen your job."

[Thariza's Journey]

"Alright, we'll see what we can do then." Ambrosia let's go and gestures for Thariza to follow. "I think the top of the tower will be appropriate for this. Just keep your head down so you don't bump into the door frame."

And with that she leaves the room and starts asending up the staircase. She wasn't kidding when she said that Thariza would need to keep her head down though. The door leading into the top of the tower is positively tiny for a charr like her. But as she approaches it she can hear what sounds like thunder in the distance despite the fact the sky was nearly completely clear when she entered the tower.
    She can see Ambrosia stopping to look out into the distance. "I heard storms brew up quickly around here..." A beat as she suddenly turns around to face Thariza whose should be about to try to get through the door now. "Hold on, one of us need to inform the others before we start this. Or perhaps we'll do that once the ritual is done."

13. - Top - End - #493
    Titan in the Playground

[Thariza's Journey]

Thariza does indeed grumble and grouch as she makes her way through the narrow passages. Lousy... not humans, but whoever built this tower was as weedy as they are.

"We should probably tell them, otherwise one of them could get scared and do something stupid. Maybe you can do it, while I stay up here and try to form a connection to the place."

14. - Top - End - #494
    Orc in the Playground

Mindscapes

Makuro lets go of the ceiling and drops to the floor, before heading over and opening the window. "Outside's this way, though. And I always skip orientation, it's boring." Makuro looks out the window, just to make sure it's safe out there.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

I don't use the Registry; ask for a description if you don't know what my character looks like.

15. - Top - End - #495

[Mindscapes]

Luckily, the bell is successfully wrapped and (probably) won't jingle! But it's okay if it does, because it's still one or two o'clock. They've still got hours to go, before dark.

Makuro will see that, in fact, it looks like it's safe outside. Just a regular forest on a warm, humid, sunny day in the coastal subtropics. Well, not exactly subtropics because the planet in this mindscape has an unusually large tilt, so it's only subtropics for nearly half the year and then temperate for the other half, but...same thing. It's subtropical right now and unless Rachel plans on shaking that bell like mad, that probably won't change.

Anyway.
    Makuro can easily climb out the window.
    If she does that, she'll step into a bush. It's not a big deal - it's a pretty small bush and at Makuro's height there will be no problem with stepping through it so long as she's wearing shoes and either socks or long pants. And then she'll be outside!
    In the back of the house, there's nothing inherently suspicious, either. Except, maybe, there's some trapdoor-thing behind the house that look like it leads to a basement, even though the house obviously only has one floor. There's even no stairs anywhere inside! (Rachel will notice that there's no space for basement stairs as she sneaks through the house.)

Meanwhile,
    Rachel successfully sneaks out. There's nobody in her way, no traps, or whatever that can stop her from leaving out the front door to outside.

The six-year-old, as someone who isn't tall enough to step through the bush, follows Rachel. Watching the catgirl, she laughs but then tries to stifle it.
    She also acts sneaky, but...not movie-sneaky, but actual-sneaky. It's almost as if it's part of her training she's been doing half her life that her mother tried to get her to do.
    And then she'll be outside, too!

Once they're all outside together, the girl will point northwest into the forest and tell them, "There's a flower field over that way, but," she points southwest, "the village is that way...y-you know...in case you need to do any fairy stuff. I promise I'll close my eyes and won't tell anyone."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mindscapes]

A window probably would have made more sense. Rachel thought there weren't any! Ah well. The sneaky route is more fun. It's ok, they all manage to make it together at least.

They've got a field of flowers and a village to choose from. But the little girl seems reluctant to head to the village. "Nah, we take care of fairy business before making dreams come true. You want to see the flowers? We'll go that way." Rachel suggests, making sure it at least appeals to the young girl before heading in that direction.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Ogre in the Playground

Sky High

Dessert arrives, preventing Jezebel from talking for a moment as mint gelato is placed in front of each of them. Once the waiter departs, she smiles and leans forward slightly. "I look forward to the tour then, as soon as we're finished here. Some privacy sounds wonderful, as well as the tour itself." For the rest of the meal, she'll slowly and cheerfully eat the offered dessert.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Orc in the Playground

Mindscapes

Makuro is not wearing shoes, since her hands and feet are both capable of sticking to surfaces to help her climb, and that ability doesn't transfer through clothing. But she could maybe climb around the bush, if nothing else.

"Do you wish for a piggy-back ride? There is a great view from up here." And Makuro's strong enough she could probably give a piggy-back ride to Rachel, so the child is no issue. She'll follow Rachel's lead, looking around quite interested in the surroundings. She's pretty interested in the surroundings, since she can't remember her home town and what that was like.

I don't use the Registry; ask for a description if you don't know what my character looks like.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ogre in the Playground

An Epic Quest

Willa snorts, trying to clear the scent from her nose. Why does she always seem to end up in places like this? She’s going to blame Libra for this. Still, best get the over with. Willa sets the bowl down with a small gem from her bag and three drops of blood from her arm. Then she slips off most of her gear and gets to her dance. Which is, in a word, noisy, but she’s not here to be quiet. And if her guide wanted her to be, she shouldn’t have asked that of someone with hooves. At least the ground isn’t concrete. After all her stepping and spinning, the offering starts to dissolve, and Willa crouches down and whispers to it, until it completely fills up with a liquid. She frowns, but returns to the two with it in hand.
    ”So it’s entirely possible I won’t be well suited for carrying all my things without- you know. So are we going now or should I save this for later?” she asks.

20. - Top - End - #500

NinjaGuy

[An Epic Quest]

"I can carry it, if you'd like," Corvus offers. He might not be wanting to show most of his powers right now, but there's no reason he can't use the strength Luna's given him to be of some use anyways.
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

21. - Top - End - #501

[Mindscapes]

It's true.
    The sneaky route is more fun.

To be honest, though, the little girl isn't really reluctant to go to the village per se; she's more worried about what the fairy godmothers will do if they go to the village. Of course, she doesn't want to outright say that, because if you offend a fairy then you'll probably regret it later.
    But, then again, they said they've already taken care of the fairy business so maybe she won't have to worry about anything.

Anyway,
    What Rachel said relaxes the girl a little.
    As evidence for this, she accepts the piggy-back ride and is also pretty excited. She points out all the plants she knows, and at the distant clouds that are gathering up (it looks like there will be a brief but heavy afternoon shower in half an hour), and everything else.
    Still no animals, though. Not even any insects. It's pretty strange. You can hear the wind blowing through the trees, streams running around the varied-elevation land, and everything else but still no signs of any animals.

The forest surroundings actually look pretty nice. There's a huge variety of trees, as befitting the subtropics. Tall trees, spindly trees, trees with purple fruits growing on the trunk, thick and tall trees with watermelon-sized spiny green sickly-sweet things on it, small skinny trees growing the yellow-red acidic cashewfruit, trees with brown potato-looking ones that smell like alcohol, bushes, banana trees, tall trees that nigh-constantly drop purple olive-looking fruits that will stain if they land on you, and a large variety of flowering and nonflowering trees and shrubbery and grasses and vines that don't bear any fruits. There's just so many, and the colors are really vibrant. Every shade of green and several other colors everywhere.

...But the lack of animals isn't the only thing strange. The farther they get from the house, the blurrier all the surroundings seems to get. Like, when you're watching a YouTube video on auto-resolution and it slowly gets blurrier and blurrier until you eventually realize all you can see are colors and general shapes. The girl obviously hasn't changed, and she still points out all the different neat plants and things she sees.
    Presumably, if they return to the house everything will sharpen up again.

That's when they get to the flower field. It's about fifteen minutes away from the house.
    Sure, everything's blurry but it's all really colorful.
    And the girl seems to be having fun. She tries to jump off Makuro so that she can play in the flowers.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

22. - Top - End - #502

[An Epic Quest]

"Now. The horses can carry it if you can't." Their guide gestures back at the stable. "The ssooner, the fasster you can get out of here, yes?"

[Thariza's Journey]

Ambrosia nods. "I'll leave the scene for you then. I shouldn't be long." She will move aside for Thariza to enter first. That way the charr wouldn't have to back up all the way again.

Outside Thariza has a pretty amazing view of the area. If only the view was as spectacular as the amount of it that might have been something to gasp at.
    However, as it stands the wasteland is a monotone landscape that seem to stretch for miles and miles in every direction.
    The most interesting thing she can see out here is the gathered riders outside the tower. She would venture that there is around fifty of them along with a horse for each one. Their horses look as hardened as their riders though unlike them they are of a stocky build with shaggy fur and muscular legs. Their riders look thin in comparison and on average most of them appear to be shorter than even humans. There are expections though, some of the riders are on average 6 feet tall which suggests that there is something different about them. It's difficult to tell what exactly from this distance though. The raiders are mostly dressed in the same ragged clothing and armor.

She isn't alone up here however. A hooded figure seem to be studying the raiders with a monocular. Juding by the rifle poking up from behind their cloak, this would be Eos.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Titan in the Playground

[Thariza's Journey]

"Here goes nothing," Thariza says to no one in particular. Then, to the hooded figure: "Things might get a bit crazy here in a minute. But I've got it under control and it might save us."

She takes up a position in the centre of the floor, kneels and reaches out with the power she woke up with after death. She tries to tap into the memories this tower carries, of war and battle. Channel the spirits of warriors who fell in its defence and rouse them again, to defend it. A white mist rises around her as she does so.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mindscapes]

Everything gets surreal and Rachel nearly gets stained by a purple olive. All just a reminder that they're in the little girl's dream. Though the resolution could be better. Maybe it's bad because the little girl feels trapped and hasn't actually seen much in the way of beautiful flowers. Either way, it gives Rachel something of a headache. Watching bad resolution sucks, but experiencing it from within is just painful.

At least the girl is enjoying herself. Rachel will simply stand aside, hands behind her back and rock a little as she stands in place watching the girl frolic in the fields of flowers. With a small smile on her lips.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Orc in the Playground

Mindscapes

The girl's happy, and flowers like these Makuro's never seen before. It's certainly a little disconcerting, that's for sure.

Makuro will let the girl jump off her shoulders, kneeling to make the fall shorter. She'll sidle up to Rachel. "I think, if we want to find another stone, we should possibly try the girl's house again. Or maybe the village. This isn't somewhere she's got good memories of, I think." Not in the sense there's bad memories here, but in the sense there's no memories here, or no important ones.

26. - Top - End - #506

[Mindscapes]

The girl definitely is having fun, running throughout the brightly-colored flower field. She picks some flowers and brings those fuzzy flower-shaped colors to the two 'fairies'. I'm sure they'd look amazing if only the resolution was better.

The out-of-focus sky is turning grayer and darker, like it's going to start raining soon. It doesn't look like it will thunder, because thunderclouds seem to have a slightly different shade of gray.
    Maybe Rachel ought to start shaking that bell, to make them skip the rainstorm. It would work, and it's only like 2:00, give or take half an hour, right now, so they've got a long time before sunset, right? What time is sunset in the subtropics, anyway?

The 6-year-old brings a handful of bright oranges, greens, and reds to the both of them. "Hey, bend down so I can put it in your hair," she says to Makuro. If she does that, the girl will try to weave a bad-resolution vine with bright orange flowers into her hair and around her head like a crown. "Here, I think these ones look good on you." She tries to hand a long plant with many small flowers clustered together to Rachel, so that she can put it in her hair.

Yeah.
    Bad resolution looks awful.
    It's even worse to experience in real life. I don't know how those two can stand it.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

27. - Top - End - #507

YLEF - Protect and Serve

Marina stiffens as Suzie turns her rather impressive gaze upon her, clutching her broom as she snaps to attention. "E-er, yes, milady, I would be honored to ensure only the swiftest and tidiest of approaches." Hopefully the way will not be particularly foul and goopy - her treasured equipment has historically struggled with such tasks, and it was shockingly difficult to find an opportunity for her to clean the bristles considering the many long baths her mistress would indulge in.

She chooses not to broach the fact that she is not familiar with the service entrance, but looks towards Alex for subtle guidance on where to depart for.
    Avatar by Gulaghar, thanks so much!
    "People wanted to be fooled. They really believed that you found gold nuggets lying on the ground, that this time you could find the Lady, that just for once the glass ring might be real diamond. You had to give them a show.”
    ~Going Postal, by Terry Pratchett

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtok
    If it'll keep you from linking that abomination ever again, then fine. You're evil enough. You win.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ogre in the Playground

[An Epic Quest]

Willa groans, takes a deep breath, and downs the entirety of the liquid in a single long pull. Tastes like wind over a prairie in April. Ugh.
    Willa gives a violent shudder, then her upper body fizzles down in size and shape until she appears like a very ordinary black mare.
    ”Hurry up. I hate every second of this.” she mutters at them, tossing her head irritably.

29. - Top - End - #509

NinjaGuy

[An Epic Quest]

Corvus quickly gathers whatever Willa is unable to carry herself, and nods to their guide.

"Let's be off, then."

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mindscapes]

"Oh, that's a good point," Rachel replies to Makuro. Rachel's eyes are by and large closed most of the time. It doesn't hurt if you don't look at it. And she stands in such a way that makes it appear like she's just basking in the flowers, absorbing the smells and sounds (or lack thereof). It's as good a cover as any to keep your eyes. So she doesn't really notice the rainclouds.

She does have to open them briefly in order to smile and accept the flowers. They're... Pretty? It's impossible to tell. But Rachel accepts them all the same and puts them in her hair. "Thank you very much."

If it were just her, she'd just wait this out. But Makuro seems to be suffering too. So Rachel stalls for as long as she can to let the little girl truly enjoy the flowers before giving the bell a small ring.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast