New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Out of Their Element: It Came From the Sky!

"Of course." Vihlu says with a respectful head bow. "I shall help wherever or however I can."

She hesitates and then decides to proceed. "Turaga, if you will forgive my forewardness, you are still our elder and leader. I have no intention of questioning or undermining your authority."

2. - Top - End - #362
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Thank you, I'll leave you to your work." Arakas begins to leave, her spirits high, but pauses to throw out a comment as she leaves. "Naumer's still at that party, right? Since Ruhki and Vihlu went to search for the Turaga, he's the only of of us there. I would hate to think of what would be said if we all mysteriously disappeared."
    ke palulu o ka pono, ka ihe o Ku
    I'm building a campaign setting! Latest update: Gnomes!

Hobhekili credit to linklele.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Firbolg in the Playground

A small weight seems to life from the Turaga's shoulders. He chuckles. "Ah, but you are perceptive," he says in a low whisper, "Well, before we arrive, perhaps it would be best if I knew the names of our saviors. I believe you said Awek was the one who led you to the shrine? Does that mean he has become the Toa of Stone?"

--

"Last I heard," Awek grunts.

"Correction," one of the Matoran says sheepishly, "He was spotted flying around and talking with the search parties. He appears to be acting as a...liaison between them?"

Awek sighs heavily. "So no one is at the village center, keeping everyone calm. Marvelous."

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Yes, Awek became the Toa of Stone. The Toa of Air is named 'Naumer', a researcher named 'Arakas' is the Toa of Ice. 'Tidran' has become the Toa of Earth, and 'Ruhki' is the Toa of Fire." Vihlu waits a moment and then repeats: "Awek, Stone. Naumer, Air. Arakas, Ice. Tidran, Earth. Ruhki, Fire."

She journeys along unsure of what to say or do. This is very unfamiliar to her.

5. - Top - End - #365

"Well, I'm sure they'll be fine." Arakas says, hurriedly excusing herself and making her way to the arena. Once she finds Tidran, she will give him the good news, plus the update on the rest of the groups whereabouts.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Troll in the Playground

Naumer suddenly has a brilliant idea! He'd really like to get a good look at those weird weapons the Rakghul used. While everyone is busy partying, he flies over to the ship and tries to get inside.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

7. - Top - End - #367

Turaga Mewn nods slowly. "I am familiar with a few of them, but I am sure I will get to know all of you very well in the future."

He steps into the main square and raises a hand to the cheering Matoran who swarm about him and Vihlu. In a few moments, he is lost to the crowd, though Vihlu is sure he is safe. He greets the Matoran by name, when he knows it, and passes around reassurance that everything will be alright. This, not the battlefield, seems to be where he is most at home.

--

Arakas arrives a few minutes before Tidran. He makes his appearance in short order, though. The Toa of Earth walks slowly towards her, looking weary of the mind but not the body. "Well?" he asks, bracing himself for bad news.

--

Naumer finds the ship right where they parked with with a small contingent of matoran guards watching over it. Normally, they would pose a barrier, but now he is a Toa! They salute him as he walks by and onto the ship.

Now, time to find the armory.

Spoiler
    Show
    You can try a perception check, though something like Architecture of S.F.: Airship or even Crewman will have a higher chance of success.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vihlu allows the Turaga to go his way. She extricates herself from the crowd and begins looking for the other Toa.

There is a room that bears investigation.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Troll in the Playground

Naumer walks calmly onto the ship. He's fairly familiar with airship design, he can probably find his way to the armory.

My Nexus characters

10. - Top - End - #370

"Hey, did you know Owni had a secret basement under his house?" Arakas replies, realizing only too late that wasn't the correct answer. "Err, He's fine, don't worry. He hid in a secret basement Awek didn't know about. Now all we need to worry about is finding the Turaga!"

11. - Top - End - #371

Arakas easily can find Awek, but it's actually Ruhki she runs into first. The Toa of Fire is returning from a sweep of the wilderness immediately outside the major population centers and looks, well, a little weary. She straightens when she sees Arakas and gives a jaunty salute. "Hey there," she says.

--

Naumer takes a while, but he eventually finds his way to the armory. It is surprisingly bare, but given that they were just in a battle and didn't get a chance to return their weapons, that's not entirely unexpected. The most common option is the rifles they used, but there are also one-handed variants and one very large and long version.

--

Tidran lets some of the tension leave his shoulders. He nods. "I heard some of the Matoran talking about seeing him headed for the center of the village."

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Hello," Vihlu replies.

She contemplates Ruhki's appearance and then says: "Are you well? I am available to assist you with any tasks or responsibilities."

13. - Top - End - #373
    Troll in the Playground

Naumer takes two of the one-handed weapons. They'll be the easiest to conceal. He slides them into his pack and leaves the ship.

My Nexus characters

14. - Top - End - #374

Arakas breathes a sigh of relief. "That's good to hear. Now, do you need any more help, or should I get back to work..." She trails off, another implication hitting her for the fist time. "Actually, I probably don't have a job at the Archives anymore. Those doors are really small, you know. Maybe I should just go see Turaga Mewn."

15. - Top - End - #375

Ruhki grins. "Me? I'm doing just fine. Little worn out is all. Been a bit of a long day. Celebrations are my usual job, not running around and fending off..." Her grins slips. "Well...I guess that is my job now. Great Beings above, what have I got myself into?"

--

Naumer leaves almost without incident. As he goes, one of the guards says, "Master Toa, we have just received word that Awek is gathering all six of you together for something. Toa business, as I understand it. Just...thought I'd led you know."

--

Tidran grins ruefully. "The mine shafts we drill are sometimes too small for a Matoran to stand upright, which is why many of us now walk with a stoop. I do not think I will be getting my old job back either. However, I do hope it is not entirely abandoned. I enjoy working with my hands."

"If you are headed to see the Turaga, I will join you."

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"The same as into which we all have been thrust." Vihlu replies in a subdued voice. "I believe I felt a similar sense of unease during the battle with the airship captain. Please, tell me what you are feeling."

17. - Top - End - #377
    Troll in the Playground

I'll head right there!" Naumer takes off to go to the meeting place.
    Hopefully he guesses it right, because he never bothered to ask where.

My Nexus characters

18. - Top - End - #378

"Sure." Arakas gives him a friendly smile, and then sets off back to the guardhouse. Hopefully, Awek would no where Vihlu had began the search, so they could retrace her steps and hopefully catch up to her.

19. - Top - End - #379

Ruhki sighs and chuckles right afterwards. "Well...how am I going to be a fire dancer if I'm too big to fit with the other performers onstage? That's one. For two...I don't like how I just started mowing them down. Awek's got the excuse that he's been trained, even if only a little. Why did I just charge in like I did?"

--

Naumer, fortunately, doesn't have far to wander before he gets better directions. However, as he approaches, he sees Tidran and Arakas already on approach. "Hello friend!" Tidran calls cheerfully, "How has life treated you since last we met?"

"We're on our way to see the Turaga! Come, join us."

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vihlu visibly considers this before hazarding any opinion.

"I... believe a great many Matoran would be interested in seeing the artistic creations of a Toa. It may well do them good to see it. And, well, stages can be increased in size."

She turns and sits upon the grass. She gestures for Ruhki to join her.

"I suspect that there is more to that question than a simple concern of size differential and to that I have no answer. There is much we do not know and even more we now have to question.

"I have considered the possibility that our minds changed as well as our bodies when... this..." Vihlu gestures to herself. "... occurred. How else could we use our Toa abilities without any prior instruction or practice? Yet, I would think that such a change would be detectable and I feel very little mental difference."

She sighs. "Which is a roundabout way of saying that I do not know, Ruhki. I am continually trying to reason my way to answers, but I have none to give at this time. I wish I did."
    Last edited by D.KnightSpider; 2019-03-07 at 10:12 PM.

21. - Top - End - #381

A wry smile crosses Ruhki's face. "You may be right," she says, "No one's seen what comes out of a Toa's mind in living memory. That's...at least worth something, though the rest of it worries me." She sighs. "But this isn't going to be resolved right now, is it?"

She looks off into the sky. "No...this is not going to be resolved any time soon."

--

Eventually, for one reason or another, the Toa assemble together once more and meet with Mewn. He guides them to a private council room, which is small with all of them in it. For a short time, he does not address them, but stands with his back to them, gazing out the window. "I suppose," he says, "We should get a few things cleared up, shouldn't we?"

22. - Top - End - #382

"Yes!" Arakas says in a near-squeak, before regaining composure. "I'm sorry, I just really want things cleared up because I kind of have no idea what's going on and it's really freaking me out."

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vihlu glances at Arakas. She nods slowly.

"Explanations would be most appreciated, Turaga."

24. - Top - End - #384

A murmur of assent passes through the other Toa.

The Turaga nods absently and ponders exactly what to say. “It is the glowstone,” he says, “We use it just for what we say it is. But there exists...certain methods, methods unknown to us, that harness the energy within it to power machines greater than we can imagine. When I stood where you do now, full of the power and energy of a Toa, the Great Beings spoke to me and my...companions. They charged us to take this land and defend it, then to unearth the glowstone and send it to them. With it, they can create whole worlds, universes even. Ships that fly through the stars, all sorts of wonders.”

“These...invaders, these Rakgul, are old enemies. I fought them before and lost much in the attempt. They had many like their captain in those days. Defeating them once and for all was my friends’ last act in this world and my last act as a Toa. But it seems they were not so utterly defeated as we hoped.”

“Make no mistake: they are our enemies. They allied themselves with the enemies of the Great Beings, enemies that have been waging war on them since the time before time. It is a war on a scale that we cannot imagine, but it is our duty to make sure that we perform the task given to us. Above all else, the glowstone must be delivered.”

25. - Top - End - #385
    Troll in the Playground

"Enemies? What sort of enemies? Who would want to harm the Great Beings?" Naumer is confused about this. Besides the Rakghul, he's never heard of people opposed to the Great Beings.

My Nexus characters

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vihlu makes no immediate comment. She waits to see how many others have questions. There is little use in peppering the Turaga with more questions than one being can reasonably handle.

27. - Top - End - #387

Arakas on the other hand, has already decided that the Turaga has all the answers, and cuts straight to the chase. "Turaga, if you don't mind me asking, why'd you pick us? To become the next Toa, I mean. We're not really... y'know, like you. Except maybe Awek?"

28. - Top - End - #388

"Enemies more powerful and older than you, Naumer," Mewn says, "With weapons that can annihilate whole world. They are destroyers, just as the Great Beings are makers. Let us hope that our world does not become their battlefield. Win or lose, our way of life would be destroyed."

"This is why I am grateful you stopped the ship from leaving. There is a chance yet that the captain did not send word that we still lived here and that no others will follow in his footsteps. But we must be prepared if things are...otherwise."

His face takes on a wry smile. "In truth, I had no control over it. So I did what we must all do at times. I trusted in Destiny. And here you are."

"We were...destined to be Toa?" Ruhki asks, her words speaking of an internal struggle to reconcile that thought.

"I believe so, yes," Mewn answers.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Turaga..." Vihlu says in a subdued voice. "I am sorry you are reliving painful memories. We shall endeavor to honor that which you have shared with us and safeguard anything else you tell us."

30. - Top - End - #390

Destined to be Toa? The mere thought is so shocking, so alien, that Arakas slinks back, her thirst for knowledge quenched for now. Probably a good thing, at least in the fact that she'll stop asking questions every five seconds.