New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass (I asked for LESS water!)

Onwards, to move Zelda!

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass [15] Gem Puzzle

Video Length: 28:49

In today's exciting episode, we...sort of meander our way back to Mercay Island to do more of Oshus' Temple. Along the way we meet up with the "defender of the seas" once more, this time letting us hit him three times before immediately caving and giving us some treasure. We also meet Jolene again, and get paid 20 rupees as opposed to the piddly 5 we got last time. That's a pretty sizable raise! Once all the sailing is said and done, we make landfall at Mercay Island. Immediately we're met with...an odd letter from Linebeck himself, where he thanks us for being such a cool pal. See, Linebeck is great! He even rewards us with a ship part! We also finally dig up that secret we got alerted to, finding...a treasure chart, sadly. Less sadly, I was reminded to go check out the price for my coral...and as it turns out it's 1500 rupees! So yeah there's not gonna be a money problem for us for...awhile. With all that cash burning a hole in our pocket, we buy the final quiver upgrade at the store here, and make our way to the temple! Though not before we're interrupted by a villager wanting to give us a treasure chart, and more importantly tell me that a big golden frog is where the second X on our map is. We'll be tackling that next time, as I forgot that was doable now!

Of course, while I did say we're doing the temple next...the actual next thing we're doing is opening up that eye switch in the run up to it. It has a minor bit of fighting beyond it, but more importantly it leads us to a (relatively simple) puzzle. Aim the shining head laser perpendicular to a thing, and it'll hit a wall that's secretly weak to explosives! We do so, and easily blow up the wall without any actual problems. I'm actually able to do one of these puzzles correctly first try, woo! Unfortunately our reward for it (beyond an orb or two) is...not super useful. It's Freedle the mystery bard, in charge of the spot pass mechanic for this game. And since I'm the only person up where I am who likely owns this game, the ability to trade treasure and ship parts with people is...a nonstarter. We won't be seeing Freedle again, unfortunately. Which is a shame, his music is pretty nice.

Finally, it's time for the Ocean King's Temple. And if you thought we were just going to have a regular old time getting down to the bottom floor...think again. Bellum is aware of our progress, his eyes are everywhere, and he's mad. Every floor has received an upgrade of at least one Swift Phantom, red versions of the Phantoms who are faster than their durdling counterparts. There is no actual other difference though, so we won't actually see much of the old floors of this temple anymore. We finally manage to cut our way down to the crest door, which we scrawl the sacred triforce symbol into, opening the path! But, more importantly, this gives us...our first check point! It saves our time once we've reached it, and if you return to the temple the normal way you can shoot for better times (which we may do) but ultimately...this is our staging ground. We've finally found a check point! Which means...the game's about to get a lot harder. Any kid gloves that where on this multi armed behemoth are entirely removed now, as the next leg of our journey requires a three floor puzzle to be solved, with multiple dead ends or points of no return, with nasty Phantoms and devious traps. Invisible floors litter the place, and we encounter the newest in anti fun technology; noise floors! And unlike say, bombs or sword hits, the Phantoms DEFINITELY hear these. We also encounter a new enemy, the Wizrobe! They sneak up on you and try to drain time from you with their scythe, but if you beat em up 30 seconds of sand drops out. That's pretty good, honestly. We also are told to shoot Phantoms in the back, as they have the same eye vulnerability the Reaplings had.

As said, the puzzle we need to do to open our way to the last Sea Chart is spread across three pretty large floors. We need to lug those gem keys around, which slow Link down to a crawl. This actually helps a bit, since it means Noise Floors are no issue. It's still a little annoying, though. Phantoms can pick up any stray gems they find, so you can use them as lures to get Phantoms into the position you want as well, which is pretty useful actual. But yeah, we lug the three keys down...only to hear from a skeleton that if we put them in in a certain order, we'll be rewarded for further progress! Ciela asks if we want to do that right away, or just leave now that we have the sea chart. I actually like this, the idea that if you think you have enough time you can blaze through the Ocean King's Temple...except I don't imagine for a second it's actually possible without the next dungeon item, so it's really a false choice when all is said and done. But yes, with sea chart in hand, that's it for today. I'll see you all next time, where we go clean up some stuff we encountered in this video...and then make our way to the newest portion of the ocean!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass (I asked for LESS water!)

I rather like how when you're fighting Jolene Tetra is sitting there in the corner of the hold. Hang in there Tetra, sleep it off.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Zodi's Times (14)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Onwards, to more garbage child saving simulator. I mean Zelda.

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass [14] Cubusi

Video Length: 25:17

Starting us off today, we head down to the lowest reaches of the Ghost Ship to find the last Cubus sister. The last floor actually has a neat puzzle in the switches that are immediately accessible, plus an honestly pretty funny trap that leads to my falling down quite embarrassingly. But it's funny, so I don't mind all that much. The puzzle in question is just a simple order of numbers, but...maybe I'm just weird, but I definitely overthought this one. It lists the order of the switches we have to pull...but for some reason I thought the order was to be read left to right, and you pull the POSITION it lists. So it says 4 is in the first spot, so you pull the fourth switch. This is...obviously, incorrect, you just pull the switches 1 through 5, and the numbers tell you which number is aligned with which switch. But I think my answer is actually potentially valid! It's at least a slight look into how certain puzzles have potential for oversight. Another feature of this floor is a treasure chest. Now, the girl we find this episode never says boo about the chest, that I recall, and that might be because I opened it before acquiring her, but I feel like the intent of this is that you opened the Rupoor chest last floor, so you won't open up this one. This is a mistake, trust only your fists and open that bad boy up to find a large red rupee, worth 200 smackers! That more than makes up for the loss we had last time. Additionally, once we actually get the final Cubus sister, she gives us a decent hint! Shoot arrows at the Reaperlings to stun them. Of course she says so in her devious trickster way, but I feel like it should be pretty obvious that you should do the opposite of what they say at this point.

Bringing the final Cubus to her sisters, they reveal that, dun dun duuuuuh they're evil, some kind of Poe or demon (they ARE called the Cubus sisters after all. They're children, so they don't have the suc part yet since that'd be gross) that inhabit the Ghost Ship and apparently beat up Tetra. And now it's up to us, and they'll do to us what they did to Tetra...DEAD MAN'S VOLLEY. Yup, that's right. It's time to do a tennis. In this game. This game blessed by the Gods to not have any precision what so ever. It's...not as bad as it seems, but it's definitely not as fun as it looks either. Each of the Diabolical Cubus Sisters takes turns shooting the tennis orb at you, while the others play around with lasers. It's honestly not that complicated, but in comparison to the other bosses in this game it's not super great. It's strange, thinking on it, but Phantom Hourglass has had some phenomenal bosses. The Giant Eye Plant was bad of course, and Blaaz's weakness is a bit RNG-y, but on the whole the bosses have been real good in this, from a design, mechanical, and just style standpoint. At any rate, once we've killed all but the last Cubus, she starts shooting triple shots, only one of which you can hit safely. Gotta be extra precise here! Thankfully, the game is kind enough to give a surprising amount of leeway in hitting the tennis orb, so I take her down fairly quickly and get our reward; a heart container that you can miss if you don't pick it up right here, right now, and the ghost key that'll let us find Tetra.

And find Tetra we do...drained of life, petrified in stone. Linebeck appears, our killing of the Cubus Sisters stopping the mist and effectively making the Ghost Ship nothing more than a legend. It looks...fairly grim for us. But then who should appear but old man Oshus himself! In another surprise twist that some of you even noticed; he's the Ocean King, dun dun duuun! I feel like this is a legitimate twist, unlike the Cubus sisters, because you could easily just assume he's a sage of the temple and just the actual big man himself. but yeah, Oshus reveals himself, and then reveals the actual backstory for this game. Bellum, a squirming eye, a demon that seeks out life force. Life force that once it's consumed, turns to sand. He fought with, and is still fighting really, the Ocean King, deep within the temple. The Oshus we see here is but a fragment of the great Ocean King. With his magic he was able to create the Phantom Hourglass, which runs on the Sands of Time, lifeforce itself. We get a...really good callback to the beginning of the game here with Oshus' story about Bellum, with suitably creepy pieces of art that show the last three bosses we took out; Blaaz, Cyclok, and Crayk. Each marked with those unblinking, glaring eyes of Bellum. Those same eyes appear on the back of the Reaplings and Phantoms, so that's cool. Of course, after his story, Linebeck is...unsatisfied, he wanted treasure dangit! He won't let us use his ship unless he gets any. Oshus, shrewd old god that he is, promises Linebeck he can have one wish. After all, it'd be plumb rude to ask for him to do it for free. I really, really like this scene, because it's hilarious and Linebeck is such a craven, moronic, self serving idiot coward *******...who is entirely, completely, overwhelming easy to manipulate into doing basically whatever. His personal theme is also a banger of a track that really gets the blood pumping.

With a ship assured, we sail off to an uncharted island south of the Temple of Wind. There we meet the Blacksmith Zauz (and also experience actual mail fraud) who tells us of how we can continue our quest. In order to slay Bellum, we'll need the Phantom Sword. But to get that...we'll need to find the three rare metals that go into forging it. We also need to find more maps in the Ocean King's Temple, and he gives us the solution to finding more dungeon! Draw a triforce on that gate we drew the hourglass on, an actually interesting puzzle since you need to figure out how to draw a triforce in one stroke. I'm all for a new sword, but I for one actually want to make a note of how Zauz...very much looks like a Gerudo, and is male. It appears we may of found the last remnants of the Gerudo in this flooded era, and it's a dude! That's cool, to me. For a variety of reasons. But that's all I have to say, for now. I hope you all enjoyed, I'll see you all next time for...more Ocean King's Temple. The Ghost Ship may of put it off for awhile, but it was inevitable.

Oh past Zodi. That floor trap shenanigan of trying bombs to solve the floor opening... I get it, but its funny for Future Zodi.

I appreciate a good barrel smashing montage. Also, I appreciate the amount you're willing to sacrifice to make sure you don't die - drinking a full restoration potion.

TENNIS TO THE DEATH. It's ironic how applicable such a ridiculous term is repeatedly through the series. ALSO, these are totally the Poe Sisters from Ocarina of Time. They're the same colors, they're also poes, and their ages relative to each other are identical. VERY neat. Because of this, I'm just going to name them appropriately for the kill count. Similarly, the boss battle in that game had Death Tennis (tm).

Zodi loves putting X's on eyes.

I wish the Reaplings not being there counted, but unless there's a puff of smoke, it doesn't get counted. I'd love to add them to our ever growing list of slaughter...but unfortunately they cannot be.

Linebeck is knocking on statue Zelda's head...honestly I did guess it, but its more obvious thinking about the name Oshus. Oshus, Ocean... Omg, Linebeck in the background with Zelda tipping over is GOLD. GOLD I tell you. Wait...how did Oshus get to the Ghost Ship if he's mortal? If on a boat, why can't Oshus sail us around instead of bribing Linebeck to do it?

Would you consider Ciela or Lineback to be your companion in this game?

Lol, you finally gave up on pestering the mail man for crimes against the postal network, and then he goes and reads you SOMEONE ELSES mail! VINDICATION! CRIME BIRD is a go.

Okay, so we have a Phantom Sword? So how long was this Phantom issue a thing? It seems like its been an ongoing war of some sort...

A drawing challenge? NEAT! The artist in me approves of your method, past Zodi. Also, as far as the blacksmith, he kind of reminded me of a rito. But I guess that brown hair is actually red? Jolene also reminded me of a Gerudo, but she doesn't have red hair does she? It is interesting that he talks about his race protecting the ocean king.

EPISODE 14 KILL TALLY!

Poe - 1
    Skultula - 18
    Rat - 5
    Joelle - 1
    Beth - 1
    Amy - 1
    Meg - 1

Style Points - 0

Missed Rupees - 0
    Lost Rupees (theft, overflow, ect.) - 0

Phantom Hourglass
    Total Kills
    (As of Episode 14)

Spoiler
    Show

Blaaz - 1
    Bubbles, Fire - 4
    Cannon Boat - 2
    Flying Fish - 14
    Geozard - 3
    Miniblins - 64
    Mini Cyclone - 8
    Rats - 30
    Ropes - 25
    Sandworms - 9

Avians
    Seagull - 1
    Takkuri - 7

Babas
    Eye Plant - 5
    Eye Plant, Giant - 1

Bugs
    Bees - 27
    Bee Hives - 3
    Beetle, Hardhat - 5

Keese
    Keese - 33
    Keese, Fire - 5

Molds
    Craykling - 8
    Crayk - 1
    Moldorm - 5
    Skulltula - 40

Octoroks
    Octoroks, Red - 19
    Octoroks, Sea - 12
    Octomines - 5
    Cyclok - 1

Poes
    Poes - 6
    Joelle - 1
    Beth - 1
    Amy - 1
    Meg - 1
    Pols Voice - 2
    Phantoms - 2
    Phantoms, Eye - 7

Tektites
    Tektites, Blue - 6
    Tektites, Red - 4

Slimes
    Chuchus, Red - 102
    Chuchus, Yellow - 28
    Chuchus, Green - 4
    Gels, Green - 12

Total Things Dead - 504

1st Place - Red Chuchus, at 102!
    2nd Place - Miniblins, at 64!
    3rd Place - Skultula, at 40!

Total Style Points - 6

Total Missed Rupees - 21
    Total Lost Rupees - 10
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

I like the fact that they have Stone Tetra in the hold.

...I don't think I was the one who mentioned coral. Was I? The shop I was talking about was the orb shop. Wherein there is a red orb. I'm fairly certain I never mentioned coral. If I did, great, but I feel like I'm getting unearned credit here.

...wait. That's orb shop, with the quiver. Where did orb go? Did I... miss when we got it? Because it's still noted on your map...

You, uh, you did that head thing parallel to the line between the Tavern and Temple. Perpendicular is at a right-angle to. (Though, to be fair, I read perpendicular on that tablet the first time, too, whoops.)

Man, the -eedle family(?) really likes travelling.

Red wunz go fasta! Waaaaagh!

List of things Zodi needs to do next time:
    1. Power up Power.

"Maybe this room with a whole different door is in a different place than the last room!" Good job, Spirit of not-Wisdom.

I forgot about the noise floors, but this invisible Phantom path is the one puzzle I remember really well from this game.

Spinning to end the video, that one I know I did suggest (as did another, I think).

Spoiler: Discovered, but not gotten, Orbs
    Show

5. - Top - End - #125

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post

Oh past Zodi. That floor trap shenanigan of trying bombs to solve the floor opening... I get it, but its funny for Future Zodi.

I appreciate a good barrel smashing montage. Also, I appreciate the amount you're willing to sacrifice to make sure you don't die - drinking a full restoration potion.

TENNIS TO THE DEATH. It's ironic how applicable such a ridiculous term is repeatedly through the series. ALSO, these are totally the Poe Sisters from Ocarina of Time. They're the same colors, they're also poes, and their ages relative to each other are identical. VERY neat. Because of this, I'm just going to name them appropriately for the kill count. Similarly, the boss battle in that game had Death Tennis (tm).

Zodi loves putting X's on eyes.

I wish the Reaplings not being there counted, but unless there's a puff of smoke, it doesn't get counted. I'd love to add them to our ever growing list of slaughter...but unfortunately they cannot be.

Linebeck is knocking on statue Zelda's head...honestly I did guess it, but its more obvious thinking about the name Oshus. Oshus, Ocean... Omg, Linebeck in the background with Zelda tipping over is GOLD. GOLD I tell you. Wait...how did Oshus get to the Ghost Ship if he's mortal? If on a boat, why can't Oshus sail us around instead of bribing Linebeck to do it?

Would you consider Ciela or Lineback to be your companion in this game?

Lol, you finally gave up on pestering the mail man for crimes against the postal network, and then he goes and reads you SOMEONE ELSES mail! VINDICATION! CRIME BIRD is a go.

Okay, so we have a Phantom Sword? So how long was this Phantom issue a thing? It seems like its been an ongoing war of some sort...

A drawing challenge? NEAT! The artist in me approves of your method, past Zodi. Also, as far as the blacksmith, he kind of reminded me of a rito. But I guess that brown hair is actually red? Jolene also reminded me of a Gerudo, but she doesn't have red hair does she? It is interesting that he talks about his race protecting the ocean king.

EPISODE 14 KILL TALLY!

Poe - 1
    Skultula - 18
    Rat - 5
    Joelle - 1
    Beth - 1
    Amy - 1
    Meg - 1

Style Points - 0

Missed Rupees - 0

Phantom Hourglass
    Total Kills
    (As of Episode 14)

Spoiler
    Show

Blaaz - 1
    Bubbles, Fire - 4
    Cannon Boat - 2
    Flying Fish - 14
    Geozard - 3
    Miniblins - 64
    Mini Cyclone - 8
    Rats - 30
    Ropes - 25
    Sandworms - 9

Avians
    Seagull - 1
    Takkuri - 7

Babas
    Eye Plant - 5
    Eye Plant, Giant - 1

Bugs
    Bees - 27
    Bee Hives - 3
    Beetle, Hardhat - 5

Keese
    Keese - 33
    Keese, Fire - 5

Molds
    Craykling - 8
    Crayk - 1
    Moldorm - 5
    Skulltula - 40

Octoroks
    Octoroks, Red - 19
    Octoroks, Sea - 12
    Octomines - 5
    Cyclok - 1

Poes
    Poes - 6
    Joelle - 1
    Beth - 1
    Amy - 1
    Meg - 1
    Pols Voice - 2
    Phantoms - 2
    Phantoms, Eye - 7

Tektites
    Tektites, Blue - 6
    Tektites, Red - 4

Slimes
    Chuchus, Red - 102
    Chuchus, Yellow - 28
    Chuchus, Green - 4
    Gels, Green - 12

Total Things Dead - 504

1st Place - Red Chuchus, at 102!

Total Style Points - 6

Total Missed Rupees - 21
    Total Lost Rupees - 10
    Jolene has black hair, Zauz has red hair, yeah.

I would consider Linebeck the companion. Ciela is here, and says stuff, but it's really Linebeck who is our companion in this game, I think. Ciela is just our interface with the game.

Don't worry, all will be revealed~

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    I like the fact that they have Stone Tetra in the hold.

...I don't think I was the one who mentioned coral. Was I? The shop I was talking about was the orb shop. Wherein there is a red orb. I'm fairly certain I never mentioned coral. If I did, great, but I feel like I'm getting unearned credit here.

...wait. That's orb shop, with the quiver. Where did orb go? Did I... miss when we got it? Because it's still noted on your map...

You, uh, you did that head thing parallel to the line between the Tavern and Temple. Perpendicular is at a right-angle to. (Though, to be fair, I read perpendicular on that tablet the first time, too, whoops.)

Man, the -eedle family(?) really likes travelling.

Red wunz go fasta! Waaaaagh!

List of things Zodi needs to do next time:
    1. Power up Power.

"Maybe this room with a whole different door is in a different place than the last room!" Good job, Spirit of not-Wisdom.

I forgot about the noise floors, but this invisible Phantom path is the one puzzle I remember really well from this game.

Spinning to end the video, that one I know I did suggest (as did another, I think).

Show
    Coulda swore you mentioned to check the coral and roc's feather. Hmm...

Oops, typo. My mistake.

The orb is still there, it just got replaced by the Quiver. It should be there next time I go into it.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

Coulda swore you mentioned to check the coral and roc's feather. Hmm...
    T'wasn't me. There wasn't even a mention of Coral in this thread before today. Probably was on some other platform, then? Or maybe it just came to you. The only idea that I mentioned before was the bad idea of trying to dig down to that one chest.

The orb is still there, it just got replaced by the Quiver. It should be there next time I go into it.
    Ah, okay, gotcha. I imagined it would've been the trinket items that would've been replaced Not locking key items abehind each other. But, I guess thinking back to Skyward sword and stuff, it is like that... they just don't tend to put the new stuff on top of the old stuff.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

What would have happened if you happened to put the gems on in that order the first time?

Also, I really liked this last segment (to watch) – and it looks like it (potentially) has lots of room for shortcuts from new gear! Probably doesn't actually have it.

Seriously, the Temple would be amazing if there were more opportunities for new gear to make it faster, instead of just the fact that you already know how it goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Zodi's Time (15)
    Show
    Onwards, to move Zelda!

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass [15] Gem Puzzle

Video Length: 28:49

In today's exciting episode, we...sort of meander our way back to Mercay Island to do more of Oshus' Temple. Along the way we meet up with the "defender of the seas" once more, this time letting us hit him three times before immediately caving and giving us some treasure. We also meet Jolene again, and get paid 20 rupees as opposed to the piddly 5 we got last time. That's a pretty sizable raise! Once all the sailing is said and done, we make landfall at Mercay Island. Immediately we're met with...an odd letter from Linebeck himself, where he thanks us for being such a cool pal. See, Linebeck is great! He even rewards us with a ship part! We also finally dig up that secret we got alerted to, finding...a treasure chart, sadly. Less sadly, I was reminded to go check out the price for my coral...and as it turns out it's 1500 rupees! So yeah there's not gonna be a money problem for us for...awhile. With all that cash burning a hole in our pocket, we buy the final quiver upgrade at the store here, and make our way to the temple! Though not before we're interrupted by a villager wanting to give us a treasure chart, and more importantly tell me that a big golden frog is where the second X on our map is. We'll be tackling that next time, as I forgot that was doable now!

Of course, while I did say we're doing the temple next...the actual next thing we're doing is opening up that eye switch in the run up to it. It has a minor bit of fighting beyond it, but more importantly it leads us to a (relatively simple) puzzle. Aim the shining head laser perpendicular to a thing, and it'll hit a wall that's secretly weak to explosives! We do so, and easily blow up the wall without any actual problems. I'm actually able to do one of these puzzles correctly first try, woo! Unfortunately our reward for it (beyond an orb or two) is...not super useful. It's Freedle the mystery bard, in charge of the spot pass mechanic for this game. And since I'm the only person up where I am who likely owns this game, the ability to trade treasure and ship parts with people is...a nonstarter. We won't be seeing Freedle again, unfortunately. Which is a shame, his music is pretty nice.

Finally, it's time for the Ocean King's Temple. And if you thought we were just going to have a regular old time getting down to the bottom floor...think again. Bellum is aware of our progress, his eyes are everywhere, and he's mad. Every floor has received an upgrade of at least one Swift Phantom, red versions of the Phantoms who are faster than their durdling counterparts. There is no actual other difference though, so we won't actually see much of the old floors of this temple anymore. We finally manage to cut our way down to the crest door, which we scrawl the sacred triforce symbol into, opening the path! But, more importantly, this gives us...our first check point! It saves our time once we've reached it, and if you return to the temple the normal way you can shoot for better times (which we may do) but ultimately...this is our staging ground. We've finally found a check point! Which means...the game's about to get a lot harder. Any kid gloves that where on this multi armed behemoth are entirely removed now, as the next leg of our journey requires a three floor puzzle to be solved, with multiple dead ends or points of no return, with nasty Phantoms and devious traps. Invisible floors litter the place, and we encounter the newest in anti fun technology; noise floors! And unlike say, bombs or sword hits, the Phantoms DEFINITELY hear these. We also encounter a new enemy, the Wizrobe! They sneak up on you and try to drain time from you with their scythe, but if you beat em up 30 seconds of sand drops out. That's pretty good, honestly. We also are told to shoot Phantoms in the back, as they have the same eye vulnerability the Reaplings had.

As said, the puzzle we need to do to open our way to the last Sea Chart is spread across three pretty large floors. We need to lug those gem keys around, which slow Link down to a crawl. This actually helps a bit, since it means Noise Floors are no issue. It's still a little annoying, though. Phantoms can pick up any stray gems they find, so you can use them as lures to get Phantoms into the position you want as well, which is pretty useful actual. But yeah, we lug the three keys down...only to hear from a skeleton that if we put them in in a certain order, we'll be rewarded for further progress! Ciela asks if we want to do that right away, or just leave now that we have the sea chart. I actually like this, the idea that if you think you have enough time you can blaze through the Ocean King's Temple...except I don't imagine for a second it's actually possible without the next dungeon item, so it's really a false choice when all is said and done. But yes, with sea chart in hand, that's it for today. I'll see you all next time, where we go clean up some stuff we encountered in this video...and then make our way to the newest portion of the ocean!

Like everyone else, I'm amused that Zelda is a backdrop in the Jolene fight.

I like that Linebeck's gift to you is a part for HIS ship. It's like getting your brother a gaming system so that you can play it.

It was me that suggested you check some of the other items, like the coral and the feather. See quote below for reference. I was more interested in their descriptions, but 1500 rupees is great too. Also, Coral is not Ocean Garbage. It's incredibly important and beautiful.

Ah ha! Goron Amber - a tasty goron treat. Nom Nom Nom. Zora Crown - Once owned by a princess, maybe. So it's not from a current Zora. That answers that mystery. Now to see what those Helmaroc Feathers and Zora Scales are...oh...didn't try them out. Maybe he'll like those?
    I mean...Zodi, if you want to trade parts I'm in! Or is it by streetpass?

Wow, floor trap on a safe zone? If a phantom was chasing you, we'd be in real trouble.

Wizrobe defeated by Gem! +1 Style point

I think what happens is if the eye can see you, it closes. Notice how you're higher up than you were on the other side?

SPIN TO WIN!

EPISODE 15 KILL TALLY!

Flying Fish - 4
    Mini Cyclone - 1
    Rat - 4
    Geozard - 1
    Red Chuchu - 3
    Swift Phantom - 1
    Phantom Eye - 2
    Fire Bubble - 4
    Moldorm - 3
    Wizzrobe - 3

Style Points - 1

Missed Rupees - 0

Phantom Hourglass
    Total Kills
    (As of Episode 15)

Spoiler
    Show

Bubbles, Fire - 8
    Cannon Boat - 2
    Flying Fish - 18
    Geozard - 4
    Miniblins - 64
    Mini Cyclone - 9
    Rats - 34
    Ropes - 25
    Sandworms - 9

Avians
    Seagull - 1
    Takkuri - 7

Babas
    Eye Plant - 5
    Eye Plant, Giant - 1

Bugs
    Bees - 27
    Bee Hives - 3
    Beetle, Hardhat - 5

Keese
    Keese - 33
    Keese, Fire - 5

Magic Users
    Wizzrobes - 3
    Blaaz - 1

Molds
    Craykling - 8
    Crayk - 1
    Moldorm - 8
    Skulltula - 40

Octoroks
    Octoroks, Red - 19
    Octoroks, Sea - 12
    Octomines - 5
    Cyclok - 1

Poes
    Poes - 6
    Joelle - 1
    Beth - 1
    Amy - 1
    Meg - 1
    Pols Voice - 2
    Phantoms - 2
    Phantoms, Swift - 1
    Phantoms, Eye - 9

Tektites
    Tektites, Blue - 6
    Tektites, Red - 4

Slimes
    Chuchus, Red - 105
    Chuchus, Yellow - 28
    Chuchus, Green - 4
    Gels, Green - 12

Total Things Dead - 530

1st Place - Red Chuchus, at 105!

Total Style Points - 7

Total Missed Rupees - 21
    Total Lost Rupees - 10
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2018-10-23 at 09:28 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

9. - Top - End - #129

Street Pass only, sadly.

Coral is definitely ocean garbage once we've pulled it out of a chest in the middle of a dungeon. I'm aware coral is a living breathing creature, which makes us trafficking dead fish-plants for copious amounts of money funnier to me.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

Wow, floor trap on a safe zone? If a phantom was chasing you, we'd be in real trouble.
    It's not a trap on a safe zone. It's a trap on floor painted to look like a safe zone. That also displays as a safe zone on your map.

(Also, see, Zodi? Wasn't me. I only give bad advice. )
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2018-10-23 at 12:04 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131

Hmm. Controversial idea: more Zelda.

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass [16] Mermaids

Video Length: 29:19

Starting us off today, we leave the Ocean King's Temple, only to be accosted by skeletons asking us for pocket change in return for hints. I actually do not know what stuff they could possibly tell to us, so I opt out for the time being, but we'll give it a look later probably! Afterwards we head to the shop to buy that Power Orb...only to find it's still not there. I think I MIGHT of bought it without erasing it, but that might be me mixing it up with the orb on Molida. I'm actually fairly certain the shops just have a rotation and the orb is out of rotation at the moment. Which feels incredibly weird, and not at all proper. Regardless I'll keep an eye out for this mystery orb. We do manage to buy the Bomb Bag from Beedle, giving us a far more healthy number of bombs. If it wasn't immediately clear, today's episode is going to be a bit of a clean up episode as we sail around finding garbage and beating up people. We check in with all our resident side quests to try and progress them a little, get some minor rewards (and major ones, thanks to Linebeck being the best) and do some Salvage, wherein I finally learned a way to actually control the Salvage Crane in a reasonable way! Which is to say, don't. Just let go of the controls when you're done moving it. It's slow going, but the only time being burnt is mine so it should be fine!

In terms of actual importance, we go to Spirit Island to cash in our ten Power Orbs so we can power up Leaf. As long as Leaf is selected as our targetting reticule, our sword will now be on fire! This doubles our damage output, which...is not actually all that relevant given how few enemies there are in this game that don't die to one hit, and the chunkiest enemy we know dies to one combo anyway. However, the secret power of the flame sword is that it lets us hit Phantoms (and Reaplings if they ever show up again) in the back with our sword, letting us stun them without using our arrows! This is minorly useful, but still decent enough. After that we head to the uncharted island where the fabled gold frogs are said to live, and have to tackle an actually rather interesting puzzle involving mapping out said uncharted island, then hitting the gossip stones in order. Our reward for doing this is a meeting with the Golden Chief, the frog boss and cyclone lord of this region of the sea, who gives us the GBA cartridge shaped Tablet of Winds that I DEFINITELY feel like was supposed to be more than just what it is in development due to it's obvious shape. What it is for us is a tablet that lets us record the special signs of the Gold Frogs we encounter, so we can use those frogs as a warp point. Unfortunately there's only six frogs, and while Past Zodi makes a big deal of how bad that is in video...it's not THAT bad, every warp point basically puts you NEAR a port. But it just feels extra sucky because of the fact that Mercay Island is a place I'd love to be able to fast travel DIRECTLY too, given it's the only place you can repair the crane at.

Rounding us the video today, we head to Banan Island to see what mysterious await us here. Turns out it's just a bad dad hunting for mermaids instead of caring about his gosh darned family. We also find Salvatore, who has a bomb based minigame for us again! This one is super easy, just hitting targets as your boat sails along. I say it's super easy because I beat it entirely in one shot, but you do have to hit basically every single target as much as you can, and every single 100 point target with no misses. It's demanding, if not overwhelmingly difficult like the arrow challenge. Back to Romanos' Dad, it turns out the mermaid won't appear unless we kill all the monsters outside. We do so, and low and behold she does, either incredibly tanned or someone who's embraced the ganguro fashion style. Given she's Jolene's sister, I'm going to go with the latter. At any rate, in order to actually catch her we need to peg her with the boomerang, one of the only times Link has ever actually hit a real life person in these games, and tell her about the old wayfarer on the island. Turns out she wants to find an old guy and hear him talk about cool stuff, so this all sorta just works out...after a minor mishap where she thinks we sent her to Linebeck instead. It definitely feels weird being reward for helping a dirty old man succeed at abandoning his family to just stare at a (not even real) mermaid all day, but so it goes. We've obtained a fishing rod, and will talk about F I S H I N G next time.

Hope you all enjoyed! I'll see you guys next time for some fishing, and also just progressing the story since I get bored and break my crane. Spoilers.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

Do you like my spelling?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Zodi's Tmes (16)
    Show
    Hmm. Controversial idea: more Zelda.

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass [16] Mermaids

Video Length: 29:19

Starting us off today, we leave the Ocean King's Temple, only to be accosted by skeletons asking us for pocket change in return for hints. I actually do not know what stuff they could possibly tell to us, so I opt out for the time being, but we'll give it a look later probably! Afterwards we head to the shop to buy that Power Orb...only to find it's still not there. I think I MIGHT of bought it without erasing it, but that might be me mixing it up with the orb on Molida. I'm actually fairly certain the shops just have a rotation and the orb is out of rotation at the moment. Which feels incredibly weird, and not at all proper. Regardless I'll keep an eye out for this mystery orb. We do manage to buy the Bomb Bag from Beedle, giving us a far more healthy number of bombs. If it wasn't immediately clear, today's episode is going to be a bit of a clean up episode as we sail around finding garbage and beating up people. We check in with all our resident side quests to try and progress them a little, get some minor rewards (and major ones, thanks to Linebeck being the best) and do some Salvage, wherein I finally learned a way to actually control the Salvage Crane in a reasonable way! Which is to say, don't. Just let go of the controls when you're done moving it. It's slow going, but the only time being burnt is mine so it should be fine!

In terms of actual importance, we go to Spirit Island to cash in our ten Power Orbs so we can power up Leaf. As long as Leaf is selected as our targetting reticule, our sword will now be on fire! This doubles our damage output, which...is not actually all that relevant given how few enemies there are in this game that don't die to one hit, and the chunkiest enemy we know dies to one combo anyway. However, the secret power of the flame sword is that it lets us hit Phantoms (and Reaplings if they ever show up again) in the back with our sword, letting us stun them without using our arrows! This is minorly useful, but still decent enough. After that we head to the uncharted island where the fabled gold frogs are said to live, and have to tackle an actually rather interesting puzzle involving mapping out said uncharted island, then hitting the gossip stones in order. Our reward for doing this is a meeting with the Golden Chief, the frog boss and cyclone lord of this region of the sea, who gives us the GBA cartridge shaped Tablet of Winds that I DEFINITELY feel like was supposed to be more than just what it is in development due to it's obvious shape. What it is for us is a tablet that lets us record the special signs of the Gold Frogs we encounter, so we can use those frogs as a warp point. Unfortunately there's only six frogs, and while Past Zodi makes a big deal of how bad that is in video...it's not THAT bad, every warp point basically puts you NEAR a port. But it just feels extra sucky because of the fact that Mercay Island is a place I'd love to be able to fast travel DIRECTLY too, given it's the only place you can repair the crane at.

Rounding us the video today, we head to Banan Island to see what mysterious await us here. Turns out it's just a bad dad hunting for mermaids instead of caring about his gosh darned family. We also find Salvatore, who has a bomb based minigame for us again! This one is super easy, just hitting targets as your boat sails along. I say it's super easy because I beat it entirely in one shot, but you do have to hit basically every single target as much as you can, and every single 100 point target with no misses. It's demanding, if not overwhelmingly difficult like the arrow challenge. Back to Romanos' Dad, it turns out the mermaid won't appear unless we kill all the monsters outside. We do so, and low and behold she does, either incredibly tanned or someone who's embraced the ganguro fashion style. Given she's Jolene's sister, I'm going to go with the latter. At any rate, in order to actually catch her we need to peg her with the boomerang, one of the only times Link has ever actually hit a real life person in these games, and tell her about the old wayfarer on the island. Turns out she wants to find an old guy and hear him talk about cool stuff, so this all sorta just works out...after a minor mishap where she thinks we sent her to Linebeck instead. It definitely feels weird being reward for helping a dirty old man succeed at abandoning his family to just stare at a (not even real) mermaid all day, but so it goes. We've obtained a fishing rod, and will talk about F I S H I N G next time.

Hope you all enjoyed! I'll see you guys next time for some fishing, and also just progressing the story since I get bored and break my crane. Spoilers.

Some day Jolene's going to run out of swords, and Linebeck with have a Scimitar arsenal!

I can see a lot of advantages to Double Damage. Bosses, maybe Jolene, Miniblins and Moldorm will only be one hit now...I'm sure challenges upcoming will be easier as well.

Okay, that grab of the two green rupees in the salvage game at 10:12 was fantastic. +1 Style point. I literally was marking the other one down and you're like NOPE.

That's a cool puzzle and a great whale drawing. Well done.

It just occurred to me. Aren't Zora kinda Mermaids?

The cannon game reminds me of the Gerudo Archer game from ocarina of time!

Jolene's SISTER has red hair. So what does that mean for Gerudo ancestory with Jolene? Red hair is supposed to be the dominant gene for the Gerudo, that supersedes other hair colors from other races...maybe its a wig? Anyway, I super happy that Mermaid Sister didn't go into BAD DAD's house, leaving his whole trip an unfulfilled one! He deserves...wait. WAIT. NOOOOOOOO! Dammit... Hmm, pirate costume? Maybe it IS a wig! Oh...gosh...Jolene is hunting Linebeck because she's a Gerudo and wants to catch him! Dude, I'm liking the mystery and clues here. My favorite part of Zelda. Also, what's Ganguru?

EPISODE 16 KILL TALLY!

Flying Fish - 7
    Sea Octorok - 9
    Mini Cyclone - 1
    Miniblin - 9
    Geozard - 1
    Red Chuchu - 6
    Eye Plant - 1
    Octomine - 1
    Yellow Chuchu - 9
    Takkuri - 4
    Rope - 12
    Keese - 2

Style Points - 1

Missed Rupees - 3

Phantom Hourglass
    Total Kills
    (As of Episode 16)

Spoiler
    Show

Bubbles, Fire - 8
    Cannon Boat - 2
    Flying Fish - 25
    Geozard - 5
    Miniblins - 73
    Mini Cyclone - 10
    Rats - 34
    Ropes - 37
    Sandworms - 9

Avians
    Seagull - 1
    Takkuri - 11

Babas
    Eye Plant - 6
    Eye Plant, Giant - 1

Bugs
    Bees - 27
    Bee Hives - 3
    Beetle, Hardhat - 5

Keese
    Keese - 35
    Keese, Fire - 5

Magic Users
    Wizzrobes - 3
    Blaaz - 1

Molds
    Craykling - 8
    Crayk - 1
    Moldorm - 8
    Skulltula - 40

Octoroks
    Octoroks, Red - 19
    Octoroks, Sea - 21
    Octomines - 6
    Cyclok - 1

Poes
    Poes - 6
    Joelle - 1
    Beth - 1
    Amy - 1
    Meg - 1
    Pols Voice - 2
    Phantoms - 2
    Phantoms, Swift - 1
    Phantoms, Eye - 9

Tektites
    Tektites, Blue - 6
    Tektites, Red - 4

Slimes
    Chuchus, Red - 111
    Chuchus, Yellow - 37
    Chuchus, Green - 4
    Gels, Green - 12

Total Things Dead - 591

1st Place - Red Chuchus, at 111!
    2nd Place - Miniblins, at 73!

Total Style Points - 8

Total Missed Rupees - 24
    Total Lost Rupees - 10

World Building Projects:
    Magic

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

AAAAAAAAHHHHHH.... Where. Is Orb???
    I have a feeling like at least one of us would have noticed if you got it, though...

Man, Jolene sure goes through a lot of swords.

From my research, looks like ship parts from Salvage Spots are random, as there's an enemy that you can defeat that'll drop temporary salvage arm spots.
    (Also discovered that apparently Masked Beedle Shop's appearance is based on your DS time. He can be found from 10 PM to 12 AM midnight on weekdays, and from 10 AM to 12 PM noon on weekends. So, hopefully that helps curbing frustration in that.)

Oh, right. Uncharted island. Thiiiiiiis place. I remember it now. This is a cool gimmick. I like it.
    ...I'll admit, I literally walked along the edges and made a precise map of the island.

Look, it's not his fault he can only look in one direction, and can't see the bridge extending! Tsk, such insensitivity towards gossip stones.

Oh boy. One and a half warps per quadrant. Yay. You'd think with a stylus, you could draw your own, and then it'd remember that, but... noooo, that'd be too easy.

Show

15. - Top - End - #135

[SPOILER=Zodi's Tmes (16)]
    Some day Jolene's going to run out of swords, and Linebeck with have a Scimitar arsenal!

I can see a lot of advantages to Double Damage. Bosses, maybe Jolene, Miniblins and Moldorm will only be one hit now...I'm sure challenges upcoming will be easier as well.

Okay, that grab of the two green rupees in the salvage game at 10:12 was fantastic. +1 Style point. I literally was marking the other one down and you're like NOPE.

That's a cool puzzle and a great whale drawing. Well done.

It just occurred to me. Aren't Zora kinda Mermaids?

The cannon game reminds me of the Gerudo Archer game from ocarina of time!

Jolene's SISTER has red hair. So what does that mean for Gerudo ancestory with Jolene? Red hair is supposed to be the dominant gene for the Gerudo, that supersedes other hair colors from other races...maybe its a wig? Anyway, I super happy that Mermaid Sister didn't go into BAD DAD's house, leaving his whole trip an unfulfilled one! He deserves...wait. WAIT. NOOOOOOOO! Dammit... Hmm, pirate costume? Maybe it IS a wig! Oh...gosh...Jolene is hunting Linebeck because she's a Gerudo and wants to catch him! Dude, I'm liking the mystery and clues here. My favorite part of Zelda. Also, what's Ganguru?
    Given Jolene's baked toast look and heavy make up, I'm calling the red hair a wig. They might be distant relations to Gerudos, but high contrast hair like that is a typical trend of the ganguro fashion that she...for some reason decides to emulate in this game from like 2004.

Ganguro is a fashion trend from the mid 1990s in Japan where girls would get extremely insta-tanned and bleach their hair. It's the female equivilent of the "yankee" style, which is to say "they try to dress like ****ty americans." For some reason it still exists, and the pictures of it on wikipedia are a very clear "yeah I can definitely see Jolene's sister being one of these."

Zora's are extremely mermaids.

I entirely, 100% forgot miniblins die in two hits.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHH.... Where. Is Orb???
    I have a feeling like at least one of us would have noticed if you got it, though...

Man, Jolene sure goes through a lot of swords.

From my research, looks like ship parts from Salvage Spots are random, as there's an enemy that you can defeat that'll drop temporary salvage arm spots.
    (Also discovered that apparently Masked Beedle Shop's appearance is based on your DS time. He can be found from 10 PM to 12 AM midnight on weekdays, and from 10 AM to 12 PM noon on weekends. So, hopefully that helps curbing frustration in that.)

Oh, right. Uncharted island. Thiiiiiiis place. I remember it now. This is a cool gimmick. I like it.
    ...I'll admit, I literally walked along the edges and made a precise map of the island.

Look, it's not his fault he can only look in one direction, and can't see the bridge extending! Tsk, such insensitivity towards gossip stones.

Oh boy. One and a half warps per quadrant. Yay. You'd think with a stylus, you could draw your own, and then it'd remember that, but... noooo, that'd be too easy.
    That information does help a lot, in fact. I'll attempt to next record on those dates so I can buy the stuff from him.

Also yeah I don't...know where orb went at all. Apparently Mercay and Molida share a shop to SOME degree, since the wiki says you can get the last quiver on MOLIDA, but makes no mention of Mercay, but as we've plainly seen I bought it on Mercay.

16. - Top - End - #136

Oh boy time for Zeld.

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass [17] Goron Time

Video Length: 20:51

Starting us off today, we buy something from Beedle and finally reach 20 points on his silly point card system...which gives us a discount on all further purchases from his shop ship, nice! We also get something in the mail, which thanks to the distorting of time in these written detailings of these videos, I can say what it is right now; the Freebie Card! This allows you to get exactly one free purchase from his shop! This sounds pretty useful, and I'm excited to see if it works on Masked Beetle's inventory! Because in a good and caring world it will. We also do a little bit more salvage, though I end up breaking the crane which...let's say "inspires" me to progress the plot a bit, and we also beat up Jolene for 200 rupees! That's the last reward Linebeck gives us, sadly, so I think future fights with Jolene will leave us with naught but the taste of victory. We also do some fishing, and it's not the worst minigame in the world, though if you aren't careful it'll probably mess up your DS screen. The rewards for fishing are...minimal, as in non existent, but if we get a specific fish we can bring it to the Wayfarer for a more substantial reward! Until we get something new I won't really be showing the fishing, since nothing really interesting happens during it.

With that all said and done, we head off to the Southeastern quadrant of the map! For no real reason I can think of, we sail towards the nearest island, which happens to be...Goron Island! An actual place of civilization, with the actual return of everyone's favorite ridiculous stone eating ogres to the Great Sea! Last Gorons we saw where large merchant guys, so this should be fun. Unfortunately, Bellum seems to have other plans, a massive monster attacking us as we try to land on the island! It waterlogs our engines, leaving us a sitting duck for it's charge attacks and relentless assault of Eye Monsters and blast attacks. Luckily we can shoot the later two things, and they give enough health drops to make the former not AS bad. Still, if you're unlucky you might get charged a bunch and just bite it. In order to kill this massive dark fish, you have to shoot it's eyes twice, and there are six eyes total. It's...not very compelling or even really fun, but I'd honestly argue it's better than the giant eye plant boss we fought a couple videos ago. With that creature slain, we can make landfall proper on Goron Island!

Immediately we are hit with a...questionable quality remix of the Goron theme. It's not bad for the most part, but it goes...weird places. We talk to the inhabitants, all of whom introduce us in some way along the lines of "we don't know who you are but hello". An interesting thing, to say the least. Less interesting is the child who mentions eating a "wood heart" makes them grow big and strong and courageous, which is...odd. What has the ocean done to you, Goro-friends? We also find a new shop here, wherein we are spoiled on what the next dungeon item is; Bombchus! I entirely forgot Bombchu's are in the game, and it's really nice to see one of my favorite Zelda items in another Zelda, because the Bombchu really just doesn't get all that much screen time in this series. That aside, we make our way through the island to find Bigoron, the village chief. In order to proceed to where the Pure Metal is, we need to prove we want to join the Goron Tribe, and then actually join it. To do the former, we must talk to everyone, a simple task. To do the later, we need...to do a quiz. A random quiz, where the questions are always at least semi randomized, and even includes a "what number question is this?" question in it's pool. I...very clearly brute forced this in the attempts that I'd be able to pull the answers from aether, and it didn't go all that well as a result! It's hard to study when you don't know what the subject matter is though, so I won't put too much pressure on Past Zodi for this. Thankfully, we also get rewarded a huge amount of rupees for answering all the questions correctly...only for Bigoron to remove them as an entry fee. The absolute monster. What ever happened to brother-honour!

And that's it for today. Hope you all enjoyed, next time we're going to be doing an escort mission with Bigoron's goron son! That's going to be fun and not at all bad!

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

Sure, brain. Let's wake up early on our get-up-at-not-6am day. Guess it's Zelda time.

From what I read (as I obliquely referred to last time), the large pirate ships drop temporary salvage points, which disappear the next time you go to port, just containing some random treasure.

The catch with the Freebie card, if I recall, is it's one and done. You get one item. (And no points from it.)

Also, I forgot to mention this before, but I love how you have a lawn on your ship, now.

Key emphasis is on some in 'I love me some oni.' Rock oni, not tree oni.

I forgot about that quiz. Maaaaan, way to kick you when you're down...

Show

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Zodi's Times (17)
    Show
    Oh boy time for Zeld.

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass [17] Goron Time

Video Length: 20:51

Starting us off today, we buy something from Beedle and finally reach 20 points on his silly point card system...which gives us a discount on all further purchases from his shop ship, nice! We also get something in the mail, which thanks to the distorting of time in these written detailings of these videos, I can say what it is right now; the Freebie Card! This allows you to get exactly one free purchase from his shop! This sounds pretty useful, and I'm excited to see if it works on Masked Beetle's inventory! Because in a good and caring world it will. We also do a little bit more salvage, though I end up breaking the crane which...let's say "inspires" me to progress the plot a bit, and we also beat up Jolene for 200 rupees! That's the last reward Linebeck gives us, sadly, so I think future fights with Jolene will leave us with naught but the taste of victory. We also do some fishing, and it's not the worst minigame in the world, though if you aren't careful it'll probably mess up your DS screen. The rewards for fishing are...minimal, as in non existent, but if we get a specific fish we can bring it to the Wayfarer for a more substantial reward! Until we get something new I won't really be showing the fishing, since nothing really interesting happens during it.

With that all said and done, we head off to the Southeastern quadrant of the map! For no real reason I can think of, we sail towards the nearest island, which happens to be...Goron Island! An actual place of civilization, with the actual return of everyone's favorite ridiculous stone eating ogres to the Great Sea! Last Gorons we saw where large merchant guys, so this should be fun. Unfortunately, Bellum seems to have other plans, a massive monster attacking us as we try to land on the island! It waterlogs our engines, leaving us a sitting duck for it's charge attacks and relentless assault of Eye Monsters and blast attacks. Luckily we can shoot the later two things, and they give enough health drops to make the former not AS bad. Still, if you're unlucky you might get charged a bunch and just bite it. In order to kill this massive dark fish, you have to shoot it's eyes twice, and there are six eyes total. It's...not very compelling or even really fun, but I'd honestly argue it's better than the giant eye plant boss we fought a couple videos ago. With that creature slain, we can make landfall proper on Goron Island!

Immediately we are hit with a...questionable quality remix of the Goron theme. It's not bad for the most part, but it goes...weird places. We talk to the inhabitants, all of whom introduce us in some way along the lines of "we don't know who you are but hello". An interesting thing, to say the least. Less interesting is the child who mentions eating a "wood heart" makes them grow big and strong and courageous, which is...odd. What has the ocean done to you, Goro-friends? We also find a new shop here, wherein we are spoiled on what the next dungeon item is; Bombchus! I entirely forgot Bombchu's are in the game, and it's really nice to see one of my favorite Zelda items in another Zelda, because the Bombchu really just doesn't get all that much screen time in this series. That aside, we make our way through the island to find Bigoron, the village chief. In order to proceed to where the Pure Metal is, we need to prove we want to join the Goron Tribe, and then actually join it. To do the former, we must talk to everyone, a simple task. To do the later, we need...to do a quiz. A random quiz, where the questions are always at least semi randomized, and even includes a "what number question is this?" question in it's pool. I...very clearly brute forced this in the attempts that I'd be able to pull the answers from aether, and it didn't go all that well as a result! It's hard to study when you don't know what the subject matter is though, so I won't put too much pressure on Past Zodi for this. Thankfully, we also get rewarded a huge amount of rupees for answering all the questions correctly...only for Bigoron to remove them as an entry fee. The absolute monster. What ever happened to brother-honour!

And that's it for today. Hope you all enjoyed, next time we're going to be doing an escort mission with Bigoron's goron son! That's going to be fun and not at all bad!

I see the title of today's episode and get excited! Goron buddies!

10% off!? Awesome! AND a free coupon! Wow!

Heh, Goron Island looks like a goron. Oh gosh, another whale like thing infested with eyes! What is it with Zelda and fish that are water and air type? I'm watching this on a computer without sound, so I suppose I won't be as sad about that now that the song referenced is bad sounding?

I smell a like-like reference! Hold onto that shield!

Goro-quiz is actually fairly rewarding provided that you study for it...no cram session for Zodi. I'd have been marking each goron cave on the map, and where each one was. Not sure I'd have marked kids versus adults however... Oh, nevermind, not lucrative at all. He charged you back. That's actually pretty funny. Remember, Goron's are merchants now. They've gotten shrewd with their money. But I mean, even one Biggoron from Ocarina of Time was a bit shrewd. He charge you for a 3 hit big sword.

EPISODE 17 KILL TALLY!

Flying Fish - 2
    Pirate Ship - 1
    Octomine - 3
    Eye Plant - 2
    White Eyeball Monsters - 9
    Massive Eye - 1
    Yellow Chuchu - 3

Style Points - 0

Missed Rupees - 1

Phantom Hourglass
    Total Kills
    (As of Episode 17)

Spoiler
    Show

Bubbles, Fire - 8
    Eyeball Monster, White - 9
    Geozard - 5
    Miniblins - 73
    Mini Cyclone - 10
    Rats - 34
    Ropes - 37
    Sandworms - 9

Avians
    Seagull - 1
    Takkuri - 11

Babas
    Eye Plant - 8
    Eye Plant, Giant - 1

Bugs
    Bees - 27
    Bee Hives - 3
    Beetle, Hardhat - 5

Fish (Aero & Aquatic)
    Flying Fish - 27
    Massive Eye - 1

Keese
    Keese - 35
    Keese, Fire - 5

Magic Users
    Wizzrobes - 3
    Blaaz - 1

Molds
    Craykling - 8
    Crayk - 1
    Moldorm - 8
    Skulltula - 40

Octoroks
    Octoroks, Red - 19
    Octoroks, Sea - 21
    Octomines - 9
    Cyclok - 1

Poes
    Poes - 6
    Joelle - 1
    Beth - 1
    Amy - 1
    Meg - 1
    Pols Voice - 2
    Phantoms - 2
    Phantoms, Swift - 1
    Phantoms, Eye - 9

Tektites
    Tektites, Blue - 6
    Tektites, Red - 4

Ships
    Cannon Boat - 2
    Pirate Ship - 1

Slimes
    Chuchus, Red - 111
    Chuchus, Yellow - 40
    Chuchus, Green - 4
    Gels, Green - 12

Total Things Dead - 612

1st Place - Red Chuchus, at 111!
    2nd Place - Miniblins, at 73!
    3rd Place - Skultula and Yellow Chuchu, tied at 40!

Total Style Points - 8

Total Missed Rupees - 25
    Total Lost Rupees - 10
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2018-11-02 at 10:16 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

19. - Top - End - #139

You know, a thought occurs to me. The reason the Biggoron's make you such low quality swords is because they probably save the good stuff for a snack. It's only once you've done some good stuff for them that they dip into their private collection of orichalcum or whatever. It also explains why Biggoron's that end up eating your shield like an idiot spit up something perfect, they're full of good minerals!

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

I mean, Link's really the only person who ever seems to use anything. So, why worry about making the good stuff when people'll just display it on their mantles or whatever.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Massive Eye reminds me of Pikmin, somehow.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2018-10-29 at 07:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #142

Between Deltarune, the smash direct, and my having to prepare to move, it was hectic getting this out. But I did! I will never miss an update!

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass [18] Fire Temple Plus

Video Length: 24:29

Starting us off today, we play a rather unnecessary bit of padding with Gongoron, having to run around the entire island AGAIN to find him. This is a bit annoying, especially because the story they're trying to tell here (Gongoron dislikes us and thinks we're not worth of being a goron, but will later realize we're good) isn't actually worth all the annoyance they're asking us to do here. It's a really minor thing, all things considered, but after the frustration of last video poor Past Zodi couldn't help but be a bit annoyed. We eventually corral Gongoron into going the right way, and follow after him to the mini maze before the next dungeon. I actually like this area, since it speaks to a design philosophy I care about. In this game, as you know, bombs and arrows are resources that you have a limited supply of. However, they're not just used for combat but puzzles as well! So using them for the former always feels bad because you never know when the later will show up. This is why I tend to prefer the systems where you have unlimited resources, like Skyward Sword letting you just harvest Bomb flowers for free bombs. However, in Phantom Hourglass, if you ever NEED bombs, bomb flowers are around! Sometimes they're in inconvenient spots, but they are there. I feel like if you're going to have limited resources, this is how you should do it. It's easier to solve this challenge with regular bombs, but you can use the bomb flowers if you need to. I think it's a bit more nuanced a way to make puzzles and challenges beyond just having a nut full of preset item drops, which this area also has of course but given what they're mostly used for I can actually allow it.

At any rate, we make our way through the maze, encountering the first new enemy of the area; blue chus! They're identical to yellow chu's except it feels like they take more damage from swords. I don't actually remember if they do our not, my memory's shot on these guys, but I'm pretty sure they do. We also encounter Like Like's, the old slimy bag worm jerks who suck you up and try to eat your shield! I erroneously say they still take three sword hits to kill, regardless of powered up sword or not, but I'm not 100% sure on that. They take two bomb hits, and three arrow hits, but later on I hit one with one bomb and then two sword swings that kills it so I'm really unsure what it's health status is. If I had to get, enemies internally work on the same heart system we do, and if Like Like's have say three hearts, each four chunks each, the flame sword is actually powered up by 1.5 instead of by 2x like it says, so instead of doing two full hearts it does a heart and a half, and bombs would just do one heart worth of damage. So that would be the math to make that work, and now I feel nerdy. Well, nerdier. ANYWAY, Goron Temple. It's full of sand, but not the helpful kind, and it's got strange wire cubes for doors instead of the same regular door we've seen in every other temple. It's odd, to me, because I know games never really do something NEEDLESSLY, so I'm curious why there's a difference in doors here compared to every other dungeon.

At any rate, the dungeon also has some new foes for us to tangle with! The armos statues, who act much the same as they did in Wind Waker, stomping around trying to bump into you. They can only be hurt by bombs in this one, and they don't explode violently when they die, instead becoming inert statues for us to push around for puzzles. We also get Eye Slugs, which is a really weird name for a vaguely cobra esque enemy. I mean yes it has Bellum's eye on it, but I'd call it like...Eye Rope or something. They are so slow to attack they're barely a threat. We also have the Hinox, the giant man! They can return fire any bombs near them, and swing those massive arms to send Link flying. If you're only fighting one they're kind of a joke, as a single arrow in the eye stuns them long enough to be sliced to ribbons. I'm a bit concerned for you if you don't have the powered up sword. If it really does actually power up your sword, it uh...it still takes a TON of damage to kill the Hinox, and that's distressing. Also somewhat distressing, the complete and total lack of tutorials for the little one floor gimmick we get with Gongoron! Sometimes a game should probably tell you what you can do, and this is one of those times.

After slaying the Hinox, you reunite with Gongoron. But he's separated from us by a wall and some gaps and fences and stuff. However, now we can switch to controlling him! It's very rare for a Zelda to do this sort of thing, and here we are doing it in this game of all things. Gongoron can roll around to move, being a Goron, allowing him to smash anything in his path at high speeds. Except for Rock Helmet Chu's, which are apparently stronger than the boulders they hide within as they cannot be smashed by Gongoron's movements at all! This is especially annoying since the game does not tell you how to attack with Gongoron. Admittedly, there's not many ways TO interact with things in this game so you can figure it out fairly quickly, and in that sense making the Rocky Helmet Chu's not destroy-able by the roll makes it clear it's intended for you to learn how to do it, but it still feels wrong to me. Letting us experiment is all well and good, but with something like this I feel like a tutorial would be appreciated. Heck, the Gorons don't roll at all in this game so if this is somehow your first Zelda game (entirely possible!) you'd have no idea to expect that. You'd very quickly realize they CAN roll, but it would probably be a bit confusing at first. They could of hinted at that a bit by having Gongoron, during his little hissy fit, roll away instead of run away at high speeds. Just saying.

With Gongoron's help, we get the dungeon item, and it may be one of my most favorite items in all of Zelda. Second only to the Skull Hammer, it's the Bombchu! These adorable little mouse grenades are quite great in this game, allowing you to set the course when you put them down. It even stops time for you so you can ensure the path you want it to take. Not only that, you can move after releasing them, allowing for some two pronged attacked! The only limiting factor is that Bombchu's only come in tens, and getting the Bombchu bag would mean leaving the dungeon which just isn't happening. The other thing I quite like about Bombchu's is that they have one of the most clear and concise versions of the iterative design philosophy I mentioned a ton back during Minish Cap. You encounter a variety of puzzles involving the Bombchu, each slowly ramping up in difficulty with what they add and what they remove, and it's really solidly put together. Honestly, in that sense, Phantom Hourglass is a surprisingly mixed bag of a game to me. I've made it pretty clear I'm not the biggest fan of it, not the least of which because the boat controls are honestly kind of miserable and the Ocean King's Temple is an interesting idea executed rather poorly. But the dungeons have all been pretty consistently good, barring the Ghost Ship and that was really more of a mini dungeon and not a real full dungeon in my eyes. It's sometimes been said that for Zelda games, the dungeons are the real meat of the game, and for Phantom Hourglass that could not be more true.

But yeah, that's the video! Hope you all enjoyed, I'll see you next time for when we beat the Goron Temple and then slowly sort of shuffle my way around to the next destination for a variety of reasons!

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Zoid's Times (18)
    Show
    Between Deltarune, the smash direct, and my having to prepare to move, it was hectic getting this out. But I did! I will never miss an update!

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass [18] Fire Temple Plus

Video Length: 24:29

Starting us off today, we play a rather unnecessary bit of padding with Gongoron, having to run around the entire island AGAIN to find him. This is a bit annoying, especially because the story they're trying to tell here (Gongoron dislikes us and thinks we're not worth of being a goron, but will later realize we're good) isn't actually worth all the annoyance they're asking us to do here. It's a really minor thing, all things considered, but after the frustration of last video poor Past Zodi couldn't help but be a bit annoyed. We eventually corral Gongoron into going the right way, and follow after him to the mini maze before the next dungeon. I actually like this area, since it speaks to a design philosophy I care about. In this game, as you know, bombs and arrows are resources that you have a limited supply of. However, they're not just used for combat but puzzles as well! So using them for the former always feels bad because you never know when the later will show up. This is why I tend to prefer the systems where you have unlimited resources, like Skyward Sword letting you just harvest Bomb flowers for free bombs. However, in Phantom Hourglass, if you ever NEED bombs, bomb flowers are around! Sometimes they're in inconvenient spots, but they are there. I feel like if you're going to have limited resources, this is how you should do it. It's easier to solve this challenge with regular bombs, but you can use the bomb flowers if you need to. I think it's a bit more nuanced a way to make puzzles and challenges beyond just having a nut full of preset item drops, which this area also has of course but given what they're mostly used for I can actually allow it.

At any rate, we make our way through the maze, encountering the first new enemy of the area; blue chus! They're identical to yellow chu's except it feels like they take more damage from swords. I don't actually remember if they do our not, my memory's shot on these guys, but I'm pretty sure they do. We also encounter Like Like's, the old slimy bag worm jerks who suck you up and try to eat your shield! I erroneously say they still take three sword hits to kill, regardless of powered up sword or not, but I'm not 100% sure on that. They take two bomb hits, and three arrow hits, but later on I hit one with one bomb and then two sword swings that kills it so I'm really unsure what it's health status is. If I had to get, enemies internally work on the same heart system we do, and if Like Like's have say three hearts, each four chunks each, the flame sword is actually powered up by 1.5 instead of by 2x like it says, so instead of doing two full hearts it does a heart and a half, and bombs would just do one heart worth of damage. So that would be the math to make that work, and now I feel nerdy. Well, nerdier. ANYWAY, Goron Temple. It's full of sand, but not the helpful kind, and it's got strange wire cubes for doors instead of the same regular door we've seen in every other temple. It's odd, to me, because I know games never really do something NEEDLESSLY, so I'm curious why there's a difference in doors here compared to every other dungeon.

At any rate, the dungeon also has some new foes for us to tangle with! The armos statues, who act much the same as they did in Wind Waker, stomping around trying to bump into you. They can only be hurt by bombs in this one, and they don't explode violently when they die, instead becoming inert statues for us to push around for puzzles. We also get Eye Slugs, which is a really weird name for a vaguely cobra esque enemy. I mean yes it has Bellum's eye on it, but I'd call it like...Eye Rope or something. They are so slow to attack they're barely a threat. We also have the Hinox, the giant man! They can return fire any bombs near them, and swing those massive arms to send Link flying. If you're only fighting one they're kind of a joke, as a single arrow in the eye stuns them long enough to be sliced to ribbons. I'm a bit concerned for you if you don't have the powered up sword. If it really does actually power up your sword, it uh...it still takes a TON of damage to kill the Hinox, and that's distressing. Also somewhat distressing, the complete and total lack of tutorials for the little one floor gimmick we get with Gongoron! Sometimes a game should probably tell you what you can do, and this is one of those times.

After slaying the Hinox, you reunite with Gongoron. But he's separated from us by a wall and some gaps and fences and stuff. However, now we can switch to controlling him! It's very rare for a Zelda to do this sort of thing, and here we are doing it in this game of all things. Gongoron can roll around to move, being a Goron, allowing him to smash anything in his path at high speeds. Except for Rock Helmet Chu's, which are apparently stronger than the boulders they hide within as they cannot be smashed by Gongoron's movements at all! This is especially annoying since the game does not tell you how to attack with Gongoron. Admittedly, there's not many ways TO interact with things in this game so you can figure it out fairly quickly, and in that sense making the Rocky Helmet Chu's not destroy-able by the roll makes it clear it's intended for you to learn how to do it, but it still feels wrong to me. Letting us experiment is all well and good, but with something like this I feel like a tutorial would be appreciated. Heck, the Gorons don't roll at all in this game so if this is somehow your first Zelda game (entirely possible!) you'd have no idea to expect that. You'd very quickly realize they CAN roll, but it would probably be a bit confusing at first. They could of hinted at that a bit by having Gongoron, during his little hissy fit, roll away instead of run away at high speeds. Just saying.

With Gongoron's help, we get the dungeon item, and it may be one of my most favorite items in all of Zelda. Second only to the Skull Hammer, it's the Bombchu! These adorable little mouse grenades are quite great in this game, allowing you to set the course when you put them down. It even stops time for you so you can ensure the path you want it to take. Not only that, you can move after releasing them, allowing for some two pronged attacked! The only limiting factor is that Bombchu's only come in tens, and getting the Bombchu bag would mean leaving the dungeon which just isn't happening. The other thing I quite like about Bombchu's is that they have one of the most clear and concise versions of the iterative design philosophy I mentioned a ton back during Minish Cap. You encounter a variety of puzzles involving the Bombchu, each slowly ramping up in difficulty with what they add and what they remove, and it's really solidly put together. Honestly, in that sense, Phantom Hourglass is a surprisingly mixed bag of a game to me. I've made it pretty clear I'm not the biggest fan of it, not the least of which because the boat controls are honestly kind of miserable and the Ocean King's Temple is an interesting idea executed rather poorly. But the dungeons have all been pretty consistently good, barring the Ghost Ship and that was really more of a mini dungeon and not a real full dungeon in my eyes. It's sometimes been said that for Zelda games, the dungeons are the real meat of the game, and for Phantom Hourglass that could not be more true.

But yeah, that's the video! Hope you all enjoyed, I'll see you next time for when we beat the Goron Temple and then slowly sort of shuffle my way around to the next destination for a variety of reasons!

While I appreciate the color definition for me, I can actually see both blue and yellow chuchus fine, and see the difference between them. Red and Green are where it gets tricky. But don't stop just because I can see these! I'm all for over definition rather than under.

Armos! Yes I love those things. I believe we've had Armos in every game so far? Maybe not 4 swords, but I can't recall and don't feel like checking...ok I did...they are! Oh wait, they don't die, just like the Beamos. That's...disappointing....well, later we see that a door unlocks when the armos stop moving, so I guess we are counting them against my better judgement?

I think that the see through cubes are supposed to be metal grate doors, similar to other fire dungeons in other games.

That's...an interesting version of a Hinox...and the first one we've encountered in your series! Possessing friends! It's interesting that you share your health between GonGoron and Link...I'm also a little disappointed how short the co-op section is.

BOMBCHU BAG! I LOVE BOMBCHUS IN ALL INCARNATIONS but this seems totally awesome.

Miniblins in one hit! Powered up sword exists! And flying pots don't count as enemies just like exploding barrels don't.

I'm liking this dungeon a lot. Very neat in terms of mechanics and puzzle design.

EPISODE 18 KILL TALLY!

Blue Chuchu - 7
    Red Chuchu - 8
    Like Like - 4
    Armos - 8
    Fire Bubbles - 2
    Hinox - 1
    Eye Slugs - 10
    Miniblin - 4

Style Points - 0

Missed Rupees - 0!

Phantom Hourglass
    Total Kills
    (As of Episode 18)

Spoiler
    Show

Armos - 8
    Bubbles, Fire - 10
    Eyeball Monster, White - 9
    Eye Slug - 10
    Geozard - 5
    Mini Cyclone - 10
    Like Likes - 4
    Rats - 34
    Ropes - 37
    Sandworms - 9

Avians
    Seagull - 1
    Takkuri - 11

Babas
    Eye Plant - 8
    Eye Plant, Giant - 1

Blin -
    Miniblins - 77
    Hinox - 1

Bugs
    Bees - 27
    Bee Hives - 3
    Beetle, Hardhat - 5

Fish (Aero & Aquatic)
    Flying Fish - 27
    Massive Eye - 1

Keese
    Keese - 35
    Keese, Fire - 5

Magic Users
    Wizzrobes - 3
    Blaaz - 1

Molds
    Craykling - 8
    Crayk - 1
    Moldorm - 8
    Skulltula - 40

Octoroks
    Octoroks, Red - 19
    Octoroks, Sea - 21
    Octomines - 9
    Cyclok - 1

Poes
    Poes - 6
    Joelle - 1
    Beth - 1
    Amy - 1
    Meg - 1
    Pols Voice - 2
    Phantoms - 2
    Phantoms, Swift - 1
    Phantoms, Eye - 9

Tektites
    Tektites, Blue - 6
    Tektites, Red - 4

Ships
    Cannon Boat - 2
    Pirate Ship - 1

Slimes
    Chuchus, Red - 119
    Chuchus, Yellow - 40
    Chuchus, Green - 4
    Chuchus, Blue - 7
    Gels, Green - 12

Total Things Dead - 656

1st Place - Red Chuchus, at 119!
    2nd Place - Miniblins, at 77!

Total Style Points - 8

Total Missed Rupees - 25
    Total Lost Rupees - 10
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2018-11-02 at 10:40 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, the nuts are various item-refills.

I imagine that door was different because it's specifically an "on-off" switch, rather than a "one-and-done" switch or key door instead. I was wondering that myself, until I saw the method to open it.

Oh, huh. More than one. I guess... Goron aesthetic?

Huh. I never noticed it marks the square you're drawing on with the 'chu on the top screen as well. That's really nice that you can see exactly.

Show

25. - Top - End - #145

Hey. What if...a Zelda? Maybe? I don't know seems fake. But let's give it a go.

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass [19] Dongorongo

Video Length: 25:02

In this exciting episode, we finish the final floor of the dungeon to get a hold of the the boss key, which I forget if it's called Big Key in this or Boss Key. Oops. Regardless, it's a pretty simple puzzle, throwing our bombchu across the sane, trying to avoid Eye Slugs. Or just killing them outright so you don't have anything in your way (and get the reward of a treasure chest to boot). There's not much notable here, it's just one final bit of puzzling, with some minor combat challenges thrown in. The two Hinox's together is a bit tricky, but with a quick swording it soon becomes a non-issue. The only real thing of note is the minor disappointment I have with the boss key. When we did the first dungeon I made note of how the game'll probably make returning to the boss cube difficult in some way. It turns out they're...not really doing that at all, since the path back has always been short and without any real dangers along it. In this case the only difference is that it's long instead of short. It does however lead to a cute gossip stone though, as well as the boss of the dunge.on.

Dongorongo, the armoured lizard! This is a pretty cool boss, taking advantage of the dungeon's one room gimmick in a way that I had forgotten when playing this. As a result I sorta faff about not sure what to do, but that's entirely on me so I don't mind as much. Dongorongo has you take control of both Link AND our good friend Gongoron, and boy is making sure I don't mix up those names difficult. Eye slugs are spawned from the little cracks in the floor, and they'll go harass Link so be careful of that, and Dongorongo will of course try to crush Gongoron with his charge and his fire breath attack. The charge is the trick to this fight, if he hits a wall when he does it it leaves him open for a Goron-y pounding! Once he falls over, we can direct a little mouse snack into Dongorongo's mouth to inflict damage. Three times and he is done! Of course...once Link gets across, it turns out the mighty beast isn't quite finished. The only difference in this phase is that Dongorongo sucks in air for a massive fire blast, and you know what to do with that. Throw in a bomb to knock him out, leaving him vulnerable to slashing at his now exposed weakpoint. Two rotations of that, either due to the prior bombing or my powerful sword, and he explodes into delicious sand and a tasty heart treat.

Then we get to the kinda awkward part of these last three dungeons (and I do mean last three dungeons, we're nearly done if you can believe it, collectathoning aside). After you beat the boss you walk into the treasure room to acquire the plot coupon...and you just kinda wake up to it and pick it up. You get the standard item get jingle as opposed to anything else, and after you get it a warp point appears for you to leave. There's no real fanfare or sense of drama when you get the pure metal, you just kinda pick it up, cough awkwardly, and shuffle out of the place. This isn't really a negative, I don't dislike the game more for this and honestly a part of me kinda likes the sheer anticlimax of obtaining these macguffins. But it still feels weird and out of tone for Zelda to NOT put emphasis on the important whatevers you spend a whole dungeon hunting for. It gave more gravitas to the boss exploding into two minutes worth of sand, and that's far less relevant in basically every stretch of the word. I don't have anything snippy to end this on so I'm going to go to the next paragraph now.

The dungeon finished, we can now rummage through the remaining pockets of Goron Island for any loot we can acquire now. It's nothing too important, but it lets us use our bombchu so I'm happy for it. We also pick up the bombchu bag upgrade, giving us twenty chances to solve any puzzles that might involve the mouse grenade. Most importantly, as Gongoron asked us, we return to Bigoron for a reward. He gives us a genuinely funny line about how he doesn't care how we use the pure metal, whether we bake, boil, or forge it, it's ours and we earned it. Then he pays us back our Goron Fee, plus interest. I can't believe I've been played so completely by these idiot rock men. I love it, never change Gorons. Never change.

Our next destination is...really up to us. We can return to the Ocean King's Temple, or try and see what's up with the other island in this quadrant...and it's pretty clear which is the preferable option. I actually like this, the idea that you do these final dungeons in whatever order you like. Just due to how the game is structured you'll almost certainly do them the order I'm doing here, but it's still a choice. I of course opt to check out our next island, but first a little shopping, a little fishing, a little girlfriend punching (for no more rewards, sadly. Bit of a cheap stake, that Linebeck) and checking out the third Traveller's Ship. In this case, it's...the Ho Ho Tribe, hailing from Wayaway Island. This is the thing I mentioned when talking about the Treasure Teller, they'll buy one random type of treasure each day for inflated price, so I'd advise not selling the cheaper treasures at Mercay and instead wait until these guys are hunting for it. I don't actually know how much they increase the charge by since the first time we meet them they want...something we don't have, but I'll be sure to check periodically in the future, just to keep our stores of Rupee up. And that's really it for today, I hope you all enjoyed! I'll see you guys next time...for the hell episode. At least for me.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

You're modest, too.
    (And good at video games.)

Bahahah. I mean, the map makes it pretty obvious the pillars hide nothing, but, man, it knows you.

Well, that explains why the eye slugs attack so slowly. It's to make sure you have a chance here.

Didn't you say you were going to visit that one guy who was going to tell you the secret of the Goron Amber, or something?

It just amuses me, the thought of that Postman having to lug a cannon with him all the way across the sea.

Yes, remember, Future Zodi. Ship Part List.

Show

27. - Top - End - #147

You're modest, too.
    (And good at video games.)

Bahahah. I mean, the map makes it pretty obvious the pillars hide nothing, but, man, it knows you.

Well, that explains why the eye slugs attack so slowly. It's to make sure you have a chance here.

Didn't you say you were going to visit that one guy who was going to tell you the secret of the Goron Amber, or something?

It just amuses me, the thought of that Postman having to lug a cannon with him all the way across the sea.

Yes, remember, Future Zodi. Ship Part List.

Show
    Current Zodi said that. Past Zodi did everything up till the end of Dungeon like, a week or two ago. Future Zodi is a lazy slobboid and hasn't done it yet. Busy baking cakes and **** no doubt.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Zodi's Times (19)
    Show
    Hey. What if...a Zelda? Maybe? I don't know seems fake. But let's give it a go.

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass [19] Dongorongo

Video Length: 25:02

In this exciting episode, we finish the final floor of the dungeon to get a hold of the the boss key, which I forget if it's called Big Key in this or Boss Key. Oops. Regardless, it's a pretty simple puzzle, throwing our bombchu across the sane, trying to avoid Eye Slugs. Or just killing them outright so you don't have anything in your way (and get the reward of a treasure chest to boot). There's not much notable here, it's just one final bit of puzzling, with some minor combat challenges thrown in. The two Hinox's together is a bit tricky, but with a quick swording it soon becomes a non-issue. The only real thing of note is the minor disappointment I have with the boss key. When we did the first dungeon I made note of how the game'll probably make returning to the boss cube difficult in some way. It turns out they're...not really doing that at all, since the path back has always been short and without any real dangers along it. In this case the only difference is that it's long instead of short. It does however lead to a cute gossip stone though, as well as the boss of the dunge.on.

Dongorongo, the armoured lizard! This is a pretty cool boss, taking advantage of the dungeon's one room gimmick in a way that I had forgotten when playing this. As a result I sorta faff about not sure what to do, but that's entirely on me so I don't mind as much. Dongorongo has you take control of both Link AND our good friend Gongoron, and boy is making sure I don't mix up those names difficult. Eye slugs are spawned from the little cracks in the floor, and they'll go harass Link so be careful of that, and Dongorongo will of course try to crush Gongoron with his charge and his fire breath attack. The charge is the trick to this fight, if he hits a wall when he does it it leaves him open for a Goron-y pounding! Once he falls over, we can direct a little mouse snack into Dongorongo's mouth to inflict damage. Three times and he is done! Of course...once Link gets across, it turns out the mighty beast isn't quite finished. The only difference in this phase is that Dongorongo sucks in air for a massive fire blast, and you know what to do with that. Throw in a bomb to knock him out, leaving him vulnerable to slashing at his now exposed weakpoint. Two rotations of that, either due to the prior bombing or my powerful sword, and he explodes into delicious sand and a tasty heart treat.

Then we get to the kinda awkward part of these last three dungeons (and I do mean last three dungeons, we're nearly done if you can believe it, collectathoning aside). After you beat the boss you walk into the treasure room to acquire the plot coupon...and you just kinda wake up to it and pick it up. You get the standard item get jingle as opposed to anything else, and after you get it a warp point appears for you to leave. There's no real fanfare or sense of drama when you get the pure metal, you just kinda pick it up, cough awkwardly, and shuffle out of the place. This isn't really a negative, I don't dislike the game more for this and honestly a part of me kinda likes the sheer anticlimax of obtaining these macguffins. But it still feels weird and out of tone for Zelda to NOT put emphasis on the important whatevers you spend a whole dungeon hunting for. It gave more gravitas to the boss exploding into two minutes worth of sand, and that's far less relevant in basically every stretch of the word. I don't have anything snippy to end this on so I'm going to go to the next paragraph now.

The dungeon finished, we can now rummage through the remaining pockets of Goron Island for any loot we can acquire now. It's nothing too important, but it lets us use our bombchu so I'm happy for it. We also pick up the bombchu bag upgrade, giving us twenty chances to solve any puzzles that might involve the mouse grenade. Most importantly, as Gongoron asked us, we return to Bigoron for a reward. He gives us a genuinely funny line about how he doesn't care how we use the pure metal, whether we bake, boil, or forge it, it's ours and we earned it. Then he pays us back our Goron Fee, plus interest. I can't believe I've been played so completely by these idiot rock men. I love it, never change Gorons. Never change.

Our next destination is...really up to us. We can return to the Ocean King's Temple, or try and see what's up with the other island in this quadrant...and it's pretty clear which is the preferable option. I actually like this, the idea that you do these final dungeons in whatever order you like. Just due to how the game is structured you'll almost certainly do them the order I'm doing here, but it's still a choice. I of course opt to check out our next island, but first a little shopping, a little fishing, a little girlfriend punching (for no more rewards, sadly. Bit of a cheap stake, that Linebeck) and checking out the third Traveller's Ship. In this case, it's...the Ho Ho Tribe, hailing from Wayaway Island. This is the thing I mentioned when talking about the Treasure Teller, they'll buy one random type of treasure each day for inflated price, so I'd advise not selling the cheaper treasures at Mercay and instead wait until these guys are hunting for it. I don't actually know how much they increase the charge by since the first time we meet them they want...something we don't have, but I'll be sure to check periodically in the future, just to keep our stores of Rupee up. And that's really it for today, I hope you all enjoyed! I'll see you guys next time...for the hell episode. At least for me.

Hey, Thanks! I got a shout out! You're pretty swell too! https://www.twitch.tv/thewombatofdoom for those who are interested! I do blind Let's Plays, Talk Shows, we are about to start a D & D campaign, and more! /shameless plug

+1 style point for 2 for 1 arrow eye slugs!

The bomb pillars that are not bomb pillars...with the gossip stone bringing it home. That's hilarious. Also, it says it in such a way I'd probably bomb them after I read it just in case, so either way.

Dongorongo, the Dodongo, that you use Gongoron the Goron, to go on attacking. Interesting, it calls this dodongo an armored lizard. I wonder if that will change the overall category of dodongo in the overall count...I'll have to remember that one. Also, are the eye slugs little versions of this dodongo like the baby dodongo in Ocarina of Time? They look veeeeeeeerry similar, but don't explode...

You're just used to the fanfare of consul games. Welcome to handheld!

I'm not sure you got all the chests in that dungeon...will you be checking the dungeons before end game for missed things?

I will never not love Gorons. I'm surprised ship obsessed Goron doesn't ask to come with us!

I'm really interested to see what awaits to befall us next time!

EPISODE 19 KILL TALLY!

Hinox - 2
    Blue Chuchu - 4
    Green Gel - 8
    Eye Slug - 26
    Dongorongo - 1
    Sea Octorok - 2
    White Eyeball Monster - 3
    Pink Eyeball Monster - 1
    Octomine - 2

Style Points - 1

Missed Rupees - 0! (x2)

Phantom Hourglass
    Total Kills
    (As of Episode 19)

Spoiler
    Show

Armos - 8
    Bubbles, Fire - 10
    Dongorongo - 1
    Eye Slug - 36
    Geozard - 5
    Mini Cyclone - 10
    Like Likes - 4
    Rats - 34
    Ropes - 37
    Sandworms - 9

Avians
    Seagull - 1
    Takkuri - 11

Babas
    Eye Plant - 8
    Eye Plant, Giant - 1

Blin -
    Miniblins - 77
    Hinox - 3

Bugs
    Bees - 27
    Bee Hives - 3
    Beetle, Hardhat - 5

Fish (Aero & Aquatic)
    Flying Fish - 27
    Massive Eye - 1
    Eyeball Monster, White - 12
    Eyeball Monster, Pink - 1

Keese
    Keese - 35
    Keese, Fire - 5

Magic Users
    Wizzrobes - 3
    Blaaz - 1

Molds
    Craykling - 8
    Crayk - 1
    Moldorm - 8
    Skulltula - 40

Octoroks
    Octoroks, Red - 19
    Octoroks, Sea - 23
    Octomines - 11
    Cyclok - 1

Poes
    Poes - 6
    Joelle - 1
    Beth - 1
    Amy - 1
    Meg - 1
    Pols Voice - 2
    Phantoms - 2
    Phantoms, Swift - 1
    Phantoms, Eye - 9

Tektites
    Tektites, Blue - 6
    Tektites, Red - 4

Ships
    Cannon Boat - 2
    Pirate Ship - 1

Slimes
    Chuchus, Red - 119
    Chuchus, Yellow - 40
    Chuchus, Green - 4
    Chuchus, Blue - 11
    Gels, Green - 20

Total Things Dead - 705

1st Place - Red Chuchus, at 119!
    2nd Place - Miniblins, at 77!

Total Style Points - 9

Total Missed Rupees - 25
    Total Lost Rupees - 10
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2018-11-08 at 04:19 PM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

29. - Top - End - #149

I'm actually most confident of all dungeons that I got this one cleared out. But yes I'll probably make a quick stop in each to be sure.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

I'm actually most confident of all dungeons that I got this one cleared out. But yes I'll probably make a quick stop in each to be sure.
    At the very least, it means you get to whack gossip stones with a pointy stick, so, not a whole loss.