New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Stormreach A (IC) I

Phoebe

Phoebe looks at the others and says, "I don't know if we should listen to those voices at all. They sounded mean, and I think they want to kill us..."

2. - Top - End - #152
    Orc in the Playground

Foggy

The weary half giant stoked his pipe that he held in the corner of his mouth as he contemplated how to answer some of their questions. He then turned toward Phoebe as he began to answer her first question about the pattern.

“What is it? Well it's all around us. It is everything and everywhere. It is found in life, death, time, weather, everything from as grand as the alignment of the moons and stars, down to the tiny ridges of this bark and the precise way they curve and twist until they reach this crescent shaped knot. " he says as he gently runs his finger over the wavy bark of one the shelter support branches until his finger taps on the bulbous half ellipse shaped knot.

" Yet, the pattern is just a single thread within the grand web known as the Draconic Prophecy. I've spent my life trying to read these patterns, signs and omens in attempt to better understand the Prophecy. I've tried everything to include using Dreamspace energy to assist me." Foggy gives a tiny contrite frown, and takes a few more puffs on his pipe as he ponders how to explain the unknown haunting voices.

"When I first starting exploring and learning to use the Dreamspace, it went poorly. In the process, I made some mistakes. One of those mistakes are the voices you heard. I can not tell you if they are completely nonsense or some twisted truth. In fact, I can not tell you much at all about them since I have found very little information concerning them. I even broached the subject with a few sages I met as they were passing through Stormreach. None could give me a proper answer, but many had theories. I have heard every theory from they are voices heard from the plane of madness, to theories of the Dreamspace leaking pieces of people’s dreams and nightmares. Who knows. All in all, I would heed them little to no attention. “

Foggy gives a slight yawn as he taps out the ashes of his pipe
    " I am exhausted, and can barely keep my eyes open. Let us hope the storm passes by morning. Oh, and please wake me if you need me to pull watch or fire tending duty."
    Last edited by DrunkMongoose; 2018-12-01 at 07:58 AM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Firbolg in the Playground

Paluk

"Madness, nightmares... I hope that is all it is." He addresses the group as a whole. "Get some rest. I'll keep the fire going. Whoever is up, keep the fire small to conserve wood. Shared body heat will help a lot."
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Juke

"No argument from me, Deneith, I'm bushed. I don't know that anything 'll be out an' about in this weather, but wake me when you get tired an' I'll take next watch."

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Somewhere in Xen'drik

Spoiler: Paluk
    Show

You watch as the group, weary and cold, one by one, falls asleep. The wind and cold howl outside but for the time being you are protected from the elements. From your brief touch of hypothermia you stay close to the fire and reflect on your decision to leave Stormreach. The storm and wind only seem to get louder as your shift progresses.
    After about two hours you wake up Juke and proceed to try to get comfortable to sleep.

Spoiler: Juke
    Show

You don't have a problem staying awake, but listening to the winter storm outside makes you wonder if you'll get snowed in. You spend most of your time wondering how much snow could pile on top before it collapsed. After what feels like a couple of hours you look around wondering who you should wake up next. You decide to pick Justina despite Foggy indicating he wanted to take a shift. She doesn't look terribly happy at it, but wakes up and moves by the fire. You listen to the wind howl for a while before drifting off to sleep

Foggy you are the first to open your eyes. You had strange peculiar dreams and you experience a sudden bout of déjà vu. You sit up and as you expected you watch Paluk slap a mosquito as it landed on his face. It's hot. As you look around you know with certainty two things: the weather has returned to normal, and Justina is gone. None of her belongings are in the hut. No one ever woke you up for your shift last night.

The rest of the group wake up as well soon afterwards. There is no sign of Justina, the door pushes some mud and gravel as it opens and it's apparent that it's the first time it has opened.
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2018-12-08 at 10:37 PM.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Phoebe

Phoebe wakes at some point after Foggy.

"The blizzard is gone!" she exclaims like a happy child heralding the arrival of Christmas morning. She may have been the only one elated with the idea of facing 100+ degree jungle afternoons. After dancing around the hut some she notices someone missing. "Have you all seen Justina?"

7. - Top - End - #157

Paluk slept decently considering the blizzard that was outside. Foggy and Phoebe stirring woke up the warrior. It took a second to realize the lack of snow but he then bounced up onto a knee.

"What the? What happened? Who was on watch? I woke Juke for 2nd watch."
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Juke

"Weather's back to normal, so that's good," Juke notes when he wakes up, seemingly unfazed by this turn of events. The news that Justina is gone hits harder. "And that's bad. I woke her to take the shift after mine. Didn't seem too happy about it, but everyone needs to muck in right? Since all her stuff is gone, I guess she decided she didn't need us any more. Is the kid still here? Joah? You still with us?"

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

Joah

Joah wakes with a start, his hair matted into his forehead and the start of a huge pimple on his forehead. "Huh?!" he shouts before looking around.
    Camel's Handbook

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Juke

"Easy, kid," Juke tries to calm the boy. "Sorry to wake you, but the weather's back to normal and it looks Justina's done a runner. I was worried she might've taken you with 'er. That would've been bad for all of us, losing you after just a day on the road."

11. - Top - End - #161

Paluk

The warrior looks around the makeshift hut for any signs of of another way of someone getting out. He then goes outside and checks the area for anything nearby that might want to eat them or signs of what happened to Justina.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #162
    Orc in the Playground

Foggy

The packed but unlit pipe hung from his mouth as Foggy peered around the shelter as the familiar feeling of Déjà rêvé washed over him. The instant he recognized the accustom feeling, and he visually confirmed Justina was missing, he opened his mind up and put himself into a state of prophetic favor. Although he did so without tapping into the Dreamspace; so the whispering voices would not wake the others.
    Lost in his own thoughts, he did not hear the others as they awoke while he tried to extrapolate the meaning of it all as he searched for any omen or signs in the pattern that might give them some insight to Justina’s disappearance.
    “How could she leave without opening the door and causing any disturbance. Magic? hers or someone else? But why? She had not done so out of greed or she would have taken Joah.”

"Good Bye, Snow! Hello, Sun! CAW-CAW ! Addie miss Sun! Addie Love sunshine! ” The raven’s loud jarring declaration of love as he flew outside the shelter snapped Foggy out of his enthralled concentration which is when he realized the others were fully awake and outside the shelter. He then joined the group in the warm jungle air.

“She is gone then. Odd, really. I’m not really sure why, or how. " he states as his hands routinely go about lighting his packed pipe.

”Any of you discover anything that might shed some light on her mysteries disappearance, and Phoebe any clue to where we are or how far we have to travel?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Rolled Spot just in the event Foggy saw anything while looking around while in prophetic favor state.
    SPOT check (1d20+4)[10]

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Phoebe

Phoebe points more in the direction of the ocean, as deduced by the direction they are relative to the mountain. "Well if we head that way, we'll be exactly where we were before we came here closer to the mountain, and then we can just keep going the same way we were going before."

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Juke

"Gone is gone," Juke says. "Her choice from the looks of things. Let's have a quick look around to see if there's anything nasty lying in wait and if not - we eat and then get moving. The sooner we hit Last Chance, the better." Having said his piece, Juke moves outside to help Paluk search the immediate surroundings.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Outside the Hut, Xen'drik

Paluk and Juke search the immediate surroundings. The area looks geographically like it's the same place as the day before but the plant life is definitely not the same. The only evidence that you were once bracing against a blizzard is your little hut; it's branches still bearing their pine needles. Everything else is as you would expect of a tropical rain forest.

There are no footprints, or evidence, that you can find, of any humanoid walking away from this area.
    Camel's Handbook

16. - Top - End - #166

Paluk

"Yes, let's go going. Phoebe, take a look from above the trees then lead the way? Someone bring the mule."
    Show

17. - Top - End - #167
    Orc in the Playground

Foggy

When Juke and Paluk return and begin to push for breaking camp Foggy says in an attempt to stall a bit longer for Justina

“That’s unfortunate you didn't find anything. On the brighter side, at least the peculiar and abhorrent weather has passed. As you both mentioned we probably should be moving on soon… " he gave a small glance over at Paluk and Juke Since they both seemed eager to break camp and move “…but I need to study my spells before we leave, and as Juke mentioned that strength sapping cold weather we endured last night has my belly now rumbling louder than a gale storm on the Thunder sea. So a little time for a meal so we have our strength for whatever obstacles we may encounter on this day.".

He then turn toward Phoebe and said with a hopeful smile

“Besides, who knows, Maybe Justina will be back before we finish our morning preparation and move on? ".

His warm optimistic smile faded as took a few steps away and beckoned to Addie.The large blackbird, now warm from the hot jungle air, gleefully flew over to Foggy's shoulder.

“In the meantime, Addie please check overhead perhaps beyond the perimeter that Paluk and Juke investigated. Just one last look, to ensure Justina is not nearby injured or worse."

Without making any hand gestures or saying any words Foggy uses his abilities to make Addie Invisible. Once invisible Addie flys off and begins to complete his reconnaissance mission. The large half giant slowly plops to the ground as he begins to eat and then study.

Show

Foggy being the semi softy that he is would try to stall a bit. So Addie flys out and looks for anything out of place, but he stays within the mile range of his bond with Foggy. Foggy eats (a bit slower than normal) and the goes to study his spells, but He takes about 50% longer than he normally would takes just to stall and give Justina more time. Also, he makes some changes to the spells he memorized for the day. If by the end of his delayed Study, Addie sees nothing and Justina doesn't return then Foggy will not try to stall the group any longer.
    Last edited by DrunkMongoose; 2018-12-11 at 10:39 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168

Paluk

"Foggy, you realize the longer we stay the more likely something will find us here? If Justina left us behind, she will keep increasing her lead. I'd suggest hurrying."

Impatient, the warrior will go through his weapon forms while pausing occasionally to check for anything approaching.

Show
    Initially I was going to suggest Foggy study his spellbook while riding the mule, then remembered he is a half-giant.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Phoebe

Phoebe is more in line with taking it slow as well. "Yes! After such a nasty, unnatural storm, I'm sure everyone must be famished! Let's at least eat something before we begin the journey! There's no rush to get there..."

Phoebe can try to find some things to eat (even though it may be a bit different or bad due to the inclement weather) and try and help Joah with his pimple, perhaps finding a natural oil or something to rub on it and stop it from growing.

20. - Top - End - #170

Paluk

"No rush to get there? We have the boy to deliver. I'd rather get him to where he's going sooner rather than later. Speaking of which, keep him in the hut so some predatory bird can't swoop down and snatch him."

Paluk will work up an appetite with a little exercise then eat. He shook his head. Wizards take so long remembering how to cast spells each morning.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #171
    Orc in the Playground

Foggy

Foggy puffs on his pipe as he gives a nod in acknowledgement of Paluk's urging.

“Your words ring truth, but unfortunately if I do not take time to study then I'm far less effective for the group. It would be as if i took your steel away from you. Are you still a skilled warrior? Of course, but now effectively reduced in capabilities, and with what we have seen thus far, I'd rather not take that risk. Although i agree with your words so as soon as I am finished I will be ready to go, "

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    After seeing Paluk's frustration Foggy delays his studying by 25% instead of 50%
    Last edited by DrunkMongoose; 2018-12-12 at 10:07 AM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Juke

"If the big man says he needs to read his book, I guess we wait till he's done," Juke shrugs. After quickly gulping down some breakfast he heads into the jungle to relieve himself, then takes a slow walk around the butte to inspect it. Might as well take the time to check this place out as long as we're stuck here...

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Phoebe

Phoebe rolls her eyes and says, "It's not THAT dangerous. Have you even had the slightest concern for me or our animal friends?"

Jessamine watches everyone from a tree not really understanding the conversation at all. "As long as we stay watchful Joah should be fine. It's not right to keep him hidden away for so long."

24. - Top - End - #174

Paluk

"I'm assuming you can take care of yourself. If the boy is so significant I'd bet significant threats to him will come our way."

"Thanks for the fruit."
    He consume some of what Phoebe has brought back and a little of his rations.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Xen'drik

Foggy does the best he can to delay but eventually he admits to himself that this mystery might not be solved today. You all depart your hut with no signs of the blizzard to be seen. Joah does walk alongside you all this time the young teenage boy quietly walking between the mule and Paluk.

The boy is quiet most of the time, but there is an anger inside of him as if he resents what hand fate dealt him. He stays positive but often times he cuts conversations somewhat shorter as if trying to remain polite in a situation he doesn't wish to be in. Through the day the jungle grows thicker and Phoebe finds it harder and harder to find a clear path. It's not lost on the group that Phoebe has often navigated around horrors in the jungle. Several times the loud terrible sounds of something lost to sight are heard but somehow Phoebe always managed to steer around them. Often times from just the slightest disturbance in foilage.

Four uneventful days pass. Phoebe you find an undisturbed stream that looks somewhat deep in the middle. Nothing is out of the ordinary. You're always cautious when approaching any fresh water for predators but you don't find any. You lead the group to the stream with a smile. Maintaining enough water was always the hardest part. The mule happily began drinking from the stream and the group began unscrewing their water flasks to fill them up. The mule is the first to panic; abruptly it rears it's head back and away, slipping violently trying to back away from the stream. Something vaguely humanoid rises from the water in an almost wrestle with the mule. Clubbing it with a waterlogged hand the mule goes down hard in the shallow water and just as fast as it tried to get away it stops moving.

In the same instant others rise from the water. Clearly humanoid at one point, these creatures look how you imagine a corpse lying in jungle water would look. Hatred and intelligence burns in their eyes and they waste no time moving towards the living.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Spoiler: Speeding up Combat
    Show
    In combat in this game, you may all post in any order. I will resolve the round once everyone has posted (or 48 hours from this post -- anyone who hasn't posted will delay until the beginning of the next round), adjudicating actions in initiative order.

If what you plan on doing is contingent on something, you may use If... then... statements. Alternatively if you're very late in the round, delaying to the top of the next round may be beneficial to assist in your decision making.

Spoiler: zoomed out map
    Show

No one, except poor Terabite is flat footed. Terabite is prone, and not moving.

Initiative:
    No one is surprised, full round.
    Juke: 22
    Paluk: 21
    Joah: 20
    Ghoul (Arm): 19
    Mule:19
    Ghoul (top): 18
    Ghoul (Mid): 14
    Ghoul (Bot): 13
    Phoebe: 11
    Fogvrit: 2
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2018-12-20 at 12:02 PM.
    Camel's Handbook

26. - Top - End - #176
    Orc in the Playground

Foggy

As the rotting fetid undead corpses began to emerge in a violent surge from the jungle stream, Foggy’s attention was immediately drawn to the one ghoul within striking distance of Joah. Without thought, the typically slow moving half giant snapped into action as his arcane studied reflexes kicked in, and before the aquatic ghouls were even out of the water Foggy murmured a few magical words and flicked an arcane gesture at Joah. Quickly followed by Foggy yelling in his deep bassy rumbled toned voice
    “GET BACK AND TAKE COVER BOY!"
    When the creatures broke the water, Foggy quickly identified the undead as aquatic ghouls commonly known as Lacedons. He adjusted his grip on his polearm hammer and shouted out to the group. “LACEDONS! Be circumspect in your attacks. Their bite and claws can paralyze. "

Foggy makes the assumption that Paluk will try to protect the boy; therefore, he prepares to strike at the undead near the Deneith warrior and the mule.

Addie flys off his hammer spike perch and begins circling above the party looking for any unseen threats.

Spoiler: OOC Foggy Actions
    Show

Immediate : cast Nerveskitter on Joah giving him a +5 to initiative.
    Standard : Addie flys and looks for any other threats SPOT(1d20+7)[22]
    Standard : Foggy swings his Lucerne hammer at the one near Paluk and Terabite (C7).

Foggy does these actions unless someone ends up getting severely injuried before his turn. If that happens then Foggy moves to that person and uses his healing belt.
    Last edited by DrunkMongoose; 2018-12-18 at 09:57 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177

Paluk wastes no time and attacks the ghoul closest to the boy with both his sword and shield.

Show

Sword: (1d20+3)[14] crit: (on 19+): (1d20+3)[11]
    damage: (1d8+3)[4] crit: (1d8+3)[8] Slashing

Shield: (1d20+2)[21] crit: (on 19+): (1d20+2)[3]
    damage: (1d8+3)[8] crit: (1d8+3)[9] Piercing
    Last edited by Cavir; 2018-12-19 at 12:27 PM.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Phoebe

Quickly becoming panicked by the mule's struggles, Phoebe screams in terror, having for once been caught completely by surprise by the attack, and a monster coming after her. They were unnatural, undead horrors, which made them even more scary, and she tries to get away from them.

Show
    It looks like a ghoul is going to get her by surprise, so she's either going to be struggling to get out of its grip, or possibly be paralyzed or unconscious.

If she actually has a chance to get away, she'll disengage to fly to I4 + 15 feet up.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2018-12-19 at 11:50 AM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Juke

Hissing in alarm, Juke leaps back and quickly scampers up the tree behind him. Safely out of reach, he draws a throwing axe and hurls it at the ghoul accosting Phoebe.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Immediate action: Activate ferocity (6 rounds). Raging Luck feat grants +1 action point.
    Move action: Move 20 feet to H2, then climb the tree 10 feet up using accelerated climb if necessary (takes 10 on climb for 27-5 for accelerated climb should normally equal auto-success). As part of the move action, he draws a throwing axe.
    Standard action: Throw axe at the ghoul in E2 (-2 penalty due to range) (1d20+3)[19] with action point if necessary (1d6)[5]
    Damage (1d6+5)[10]

Crit confirm if necessary (1d20+3)[22]
    Crit damage if necessary (1d6+5)[6]

AC 17 (+3 from sharkskin armour, +4 from Dex, buckler not equipped)
    HP 14/14

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Round 1

Foggy's incantation went off the quickest and Joah seemed to be his target.

While the rest uncorked their waterskins Paluk did what he normally does: stand ready with shield equipped and longsword out. So the moment the mule began to panick Paluk was already moving to engage the one that was rising. By the time it was fully out of the water Paluk had slammed his shield into it's head, caving it in with an explosion of brain sogged water and hacking through it's neck. Whatever foul magic animating it, gave out and the lifeless body fell back into the river. Joah scrambled back in a half crawl into the brush, clearly terrified but still not recognizing exactly what the threat is.

Juke nearly leaped up the tree, climbing up while they still were standing up from the water. Phoebe's eyes widened as she realized the danger she was in. Armorless and momentarily frozen in fear the creature's claws and wicked sharp teeth were clear in her eyes. As the creature lunged forward to bite her, Juke's hand axe caught it in the face causing him to catch only phoebe's hair in it's mouth. His claw attack coming up short as the force of the hand axe jerked his head back and his second claw grazing her arm superficially and knocking her waterskin out of her hand. Seeing her chance, phoebe leaped back into the air and flew out of the creature's range.

The ghoul on the mule turned his attention to Paluk and it gurgles as it hisses at you. The ghoul lunges at Paluk, but he's able to batter aside the creature's head with his shield, and the ghoul's claw attacks find only Paluk's armor.

Foggy as you scream out, one of the ghoul's approaches you as well and you find your attack fouled by the creature. Fortunately for you, the creature slips on the wet embankment as it tries to bite you; you didn't even have to move to avoid his bite attack. Although you do take a five foot step backwards out of instinct, your fear is amplified by Addie. You realize that through the empathetic link, Addie is currently terrified.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Terabite is prone, and not moving; probably paralyzed.

Initiative:
    Juke: 22
    Paluk: 21
    Joah: 20
    Ghoul (Bot): 19
    Mule:19
    Ghoul (top): 18
    Ghoul (Mid): 14
    Phoebe: 11
    Fogvrit: 2
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2018-12-23 at 02:44 PM.
    Camel's Handbook