New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Whisky experience update

So, some time ago I made a thread asking for suggestions about whiskies to try. Since I made that thread, I have tried a number of different whiskies, with the main ones that I remember being Monkey Shoulder (Scotch) and Jameson (Irish). I really like both of those, but in different ways. I like Monkey Shoulder best neat, and I like Jameson best mixed with a soft drink. Also, I have been watching videos on a few different whisky-focused YouTube channels. I've learned a lot about different kinds of whiskies, what various whisky terms mean, how to pick out different tastes and smells, etc. In Jameson, I can taste apple/pear, butter, vanilla, a little bit of caramel, and a little bit of dried fruit. In Monkey Shoulder, I can taste some of the same things, but the caramel is more pronounced, it's more fruity, the vanilla is less obvious, and there's a bit of a creamy taste as well. Both of those whiskies are quite good for someone like me, since I tend to prefer tea over coffee, cider (hard cider for you Americans) over beer, and white wine over red wine. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which other whiskies I might like? Does anybody else want to share their whisky experience?
    Spoiler: Out-of-context quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...He would have to stay there permanently (without cake, somehow not breathing) for the prophecy to be fulfilled.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    Maybe Blackwing is a Schrödinger's familiar.
    Any given member of the Order needs to do a quantum measurement to see if they remember him

Azurite Name Inspirations
    Rich is a better writer than that!
    Free speech?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Whisky experience update

If you like warm smooth whisky with a bit of smoke to it, I'd give Highland Park a try. It's usually pretty easy to get. It's got a bit of sweetness to it, and you'd only drink it neat (don't put things in single malts, it's a barbaric waste of good whisky).

For the full mad bastard experience try an Islay malt too. Laphroaig, Lagavulin, or Ardbeg. They're all extremely peaty though so they're definitely an acquired taste.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

As a general rule I prefer bourbon. Specifically, Kentucky bourbon as it's a lot more smooth than Tennessee bourbon, (Jack Daniels is Tennessee bourbon, and probably one of the most well-known whiskeys around.) For a long time my favorite brands were Bulleit and Wild Turkey, then I gave some local distilleries a try and developed and appreciation for Burnside.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

If your taste runs to the more subtle and fruity you might like Dalwhinnie 15 or Glenmorangie Original on the Scottish side. Crown Royal Northern Harvest (rye) and Corner Creek Reserve (bourbon) would also be worth a shot
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Domino Quartz View Post
    ...Both of those whiskies are quite good for someone like me, since I tend to prefer tea over coffee, cider (hard cider for you Americans) over beer, and white wine over red wine. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which other whiskies I might like?
    It sounds like you prefer lighter and smoother whiskies over rougher and deeper ones.

Try: Glenfiddich, Glenmorangie, Hakushu
    Avoid: Laphroaig, Benromach, Talisker

Sounds sacrilegious but Naked Grouse is decent for that end of the taste spectrum too.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

From the flavours you're describing as ones you like, I'd suggest Yamazaki in particular, possibly also Macallen.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

When it comes to irish whiskey, I actually prefer Jameson Caskmates (That's the version matured in ex craft Porter barrels) over regular Jameson and Barr an Uisce more or less above all else from the green island.

I've grown bored of the "peated" hype around Scotch and find most U.S. Bourbons to be just slightly bland. So, of the few things I still like and would recommend are the low to mid tier range of the Macallan and I will always have a bottle of Bulleit and Four Roses at home.

Last half decade, I've found japanese whiskeys and I really like them. Yamazaki is pretty much kind of the crop here, but Suntory also has other very interesting lines, like Hibiki and Nikkai Cask Strength is pretty solid for that price range.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    It sounds like you prefer lighter and smoother whiskies over rougher and deeper ones.

Sounds sacrilegious but Naked Grouse is decent for that end of the taste spectrum too.
    Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'll try Glenfiddich next.
    Spoiler: Out-of-context quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...He would have to stay there permanently (without cake, somehow not breathing) for the prophecy to be fulfilled.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    Maybe Blackwing is a Schrödinger's familiar.
    Any given member of the Order needs to do a quantum measurement to see if they remember him

Azurite Name Inspirations
    Rich is a better writer than that!
    Free speech?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post

When you are in University and like Whiskey, Naked Grouse is a good option any way.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Originally Posted by Aedilred

I cant believe that someone hasn't suggested Macallam Malt whisky, sherry cask for the sweet taste, described as the Rolls Royce of malt whisky's. I would stick clear of the Islay malt whisky's , heavy peat,for the first time tryer of malts but all seven distillerys on lslay are worth a visit.
    The classic range of malts by Diageo offers a wide selection of tastes if try about Oban, Glenkiniche malts. Remember to have a look at the casking ,see if it is sherry, American oak etc and how long it been rested in them. American oak try Glenliviet or Auchentoshan.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Lived in Bardstown, KY for almost 20 years now. I heartily recommend wild turkey, 1792 single barrel (they offer different proofs depending on how strong you like your bourbon but I personally prefer the high 125pf), woodford reserve, and four roses. These are some of my personal favorites and yet I can't seem to keep them stocked in my house for some reason. Hmm

12. - Top - End - #12

here are my hard adult beverages:
    Aberfeldy abby single malt 12 year scotch whisky
    [formerly by Dewar's distillery, but now a brand of its own]
    Alas, but bottle number B41030 is no more.

1 partial 3/4 L bottle of Gentleman Jack -dusty and with cobwebs.
    [for medicinal purposes only ]

1 barely touched bottle of Aberlour highland scotch 12 single malt whiskey

As you can see, there is a major part of me that is aimed toward scotch whiskey. I am not able to put my finger on why because I do not know the language.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here