New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Default Re: Sleepless Domain: Magical Girls, Monsters and Mystery, oh my!

Quote Originally Posted by danelsan View Post
    Speaking of Undine's name pronunciation. Probably due to people often typing Undyne instead in the comic's Discord, one of the resident bots has an auto-reponse to Undyne that is an emote of this image:

I think Undine is pronounced with a short i (IPA: /ˈʌndiːn/), just like the mythological creatures she is named after, while Undyne is a pun between that and "undying" and is pronounced with a long i (IPA: /ʌnˈdaɪ̯.ɪŋ/).

If you don't get IPA, think of Undeen vs Undaying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    I think Undine is pronounced with a short i (IPA: /ˈʌndiːn/), just like the mythological creatures she is named after, while Undyne is a pun between that and "undying" and is pronounced with a long i (IPA: /ʌnˈdaɪ̯.ɪŋ/).

If you don't get IPA, think of Undeen vs Undaying.
    Oh, Cube has confirmed that long ago. It is indeed read "Undeen".

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

And I've been reading it as "Und-I-ne", long i.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

4. - Top - End - #34

So caught up now. Hmm so creepy phantom girl is still interested in her despite the power loss, not good.

Also Zoe is adorable.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Talk about a rude awakening. Umbrella girl has no patience for dissembling.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Somehow the next update is worse in my imagination than it will be to actually read...this went from too real to too horror real quick.

7. - Top - End - #37

See, this is what happens when you don't talk to your friends. If Tessa and Undine had been in closer communication, then she would already know about the creepy magic killer.

8. - Top - End - #38

Is that summary of recent events correct?
    Either the creepy dark monster girl or someone else leaves disturbing(?) messages for Tessa, who is acting weird because of PTSD.

And the strange grey umbrella girl complains that nobody listens to her warnings - but she still makes people forget her.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    See, this is what happens when you don't talk to your friends. If Tessa and Undine had been in closer communication, then she would already know about the creepy magic killer.
    Apparently, girls with massive amounts of PTSD aren't the greatest at communication? Through seriously, I think Undine didn't want to heep more guilt or reminders of what happened upon Tessa. Undine was also worried about being labelled as crazy, and Tessa seems to be a bit of a stickler for rules...And seems quite consumed by guilt over what happened. Maybe not the smartest plan, but certainly an understandable motive. But yes, Undine bottles things up a lot.

I also get the feeling that maaaaaaaaaybe their academy doesn't really do the best job at teaching little soldiers how to communicate properly, but that could just be me. I personally think that between their advanced studies and combat training, a few things probably fell by the wayside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Onyavar View Post
    And the strange grey umbrella girl complains that nobody listens to her warnings - but she still makes people forget her.
    Not sure that's umbrella girls' doing. I think she's associated with/in communication with the golden magical girl being, the one that gives the girls their powers, and it appears there's something preventing her from communicating with them directly. That might extend to information or discussion about her - the memory wipe may have been triggered when Umbrella tried to tell Tessa about the statue?

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Not sure that's umbrella girls' doing. I think she's associated with/in communication with the golden magical girl being, the one that gives the girls their powers, and it appears there's something preventing her from communicating with them directly. That might extend to information or discussion about her - the memory wipe may have been triggered when Umbrella tried to tell Tessa about the statue?
    I think I agree with this. The amount of resigned frustration that Anemone (that's Umbrella Girl, but sounds prettier so I am using it) shows would likely indicate that she's upset that she can't overcome something, but Tessa showed no signs of resisting. It was only when the statue was

After all, we have no signs that Goldie is really a good person, since she seems to empower young girls. (Power seems to leave around college entrance time, and assuming the American system, that's going to be 17-18) Even ones like Zoe, who seem far too gentle and really ill suited to the task at hand. No reason is given that boys themselves couldn't fight either, to pick the cream of the crop of any gender, not just one.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

One of the theories on it is that the dream girl (or "woman in white" as the Discord usually refers to her) only empowers young women because she can't do otherwise as that is what she herself was when she became capable of doing that. Kind of a sympathetic-magic thing, can only empowers those "like yourself".

That said, some people are also suspicious of the whole "power leaves around 18" as a natural part of it and think someone messed with it as a way to avoid magical dynasties, which might have been a thing that was involved in the events partially revealed during the girls' history lesson somewhere in the first couple chapters.

As for Anemone and the whole memory-erasing thing, a few things to consider: that eye-effect on Tessa that looks kinda like signal-static has appeared before and seems to be related primarily with the Woman in White, but also things tangentially related, like Vedika wondering how powers work. The exception is Anemone herself, who appears to be the only one with clear memories of the WiW, but who gets the eye-effect when talking about not knowing where Goops and Goldie came from.

Also, Mary has commented that Tessa in the last few pages of chapter 12 did recall basically the whole conversation up to the "who is that statue about" explanation, so it was not just a vague memory of someone telling her to keep her blinds closed.

EDIT: Oh, Zoe's cousin Alex also gets the eyes when talking about his monster-contact-induced nightmares iirc.

I'm sure the thing about Goops telling Undine about how she would know why goops hated her if she had not forgotten something is also related to this particular memory-suppressing effect.
    Last edited by danelsan; 2019-07-02 at 12:45 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

One of the theories on it is that the dream girl (or "woman in white" as the Discord usually refers to her) only empowers young women because she can't do otherwise as that is what she herself was when she became capable of doing that. Kind of a sympathetic-magic thing, can only empowers those "like yourself".

That said, some people are also suspicious of the whole "power leaves around 18" as a natural part of it and think someone messed with it as a way to avoid magical dynasties, which might have been a thing that was involved in the events partially revealed during the girls' history lesson somewhere in the first couple chapters.
    I cannot read Undine's handwriting at all, but that is a good catch regarding the history lesson and an interesting theory. Still, there isn't a lot of proof that powers are hereditary (as there is doubt in the modern day). And even if she could only empower those like her, she's still sending out children to fight. That's pretty questionable, even if it is the ONLY course of action she can take and the alternative would be much, much, much worse.

Through...Heartful does prove that powers are hereditary, aren't they? I mean, if you get pregnant beforehand you seem to have a good chance of passing them down. But maybe it isn't a question of getting knocked up (because I rather not associate that with my webcomic about young women, thank you very much), but a willingness to pass down powers, just like what Tessa did to Undine. So someone could just elect a successor. Which I am pretty sure is 100% a part of the Magical Girl genre? So maybe you're on to something.

Also, Mary has commented that Tessa in the last few pages of chapter 12 did recall basically the whole conversation up to the "who is that statue about" explanation, so it was not just a vague memory of someone telling her to keep her blinds closed.
    I can't find those comments, but Tessa does seem pretty darn confused when she recalled those memories, as if they were unclear. I think the idea that she remembered a part of the conversation doesn't really prove which side is doing it, just that something is tampering with the memory itself but didn't fully work.

EDIT: I rechecked the pages, and I can't find the one where Alex has the weird static eyes...But I did notice that Mrs. Watanabe (Kokoro's grandmother) did have purple goop coming out of her eyes, while the mother seemed to be entirely MISSING hers...And given the importance of eye color for a magical girl, I don't think that is a coincidence. You also never see the WiW's eyes, ever. Hard to say if Goops/Purple Girl has eyes or just glowing bits.
    Last edited by Honest Tiefling; 2019-07-02 at 02:08 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    But maybe it isn't a question of getting knocked up (because I rather not associate that with my webcomic about young women, thank you very much), but a willingness to pass down powers, just like what Tessa did to Undine. So someone could just elect a successor.
    Did Tessa actually pass on any powers to Undine? I thought she just healed Undine's injuries at the cost of her own powers, but that Undine's current powers are the ones she already had.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Did Tessa actually pass on any powers to Undine? I thought she just healed Undine's injuries at the cost of her own powers, but that Undine's current powers are the ones she already had.
    Maybe not, but if you look at Undine's eyes when she is transformed afterwards, there is a bit of pink. Given how important eye color is, I assume this has some meaning.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

RUN, RUE, RUN!

At least Goldie is aware of the situation, maybe they can get help in time

17. - Top - End - #47

Is this scene the first time we are seeing Zoe's powers?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Halfling in the Playground

Is this scene the first time we are seeing Zoe's powers?
    Yep! Seems like a good mix with Rue... she can attack without getting in Rue's blast radius, and slowing down enemies makes it harder for them to close in too close for Rue to blast them without risking friendly fire.