New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGirl

Default Eberron Mark of Making - What Character would you build?

Hi everyone!

I was looking at the Dragonmarked Houses in the Eberron Playtest material and I got quite interested in House Cannith's Mark of Making. It feels like the ability to create a magic item each long rest that lets you cast a wizard cantrip of your choosing could be quite useful for certain characters.

My thought was this could work very well for an Arcane Trickster type Rogue (especially with the +1/+2 or +2/+1 for DEX/INT) - but what would you do with the Mark of Making?

Cheers

Wasp

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Eberron Mark of Making - What Character would you build?

I quite like Knowledge Cleric.
    Use your channel divinity to temporarily know how to use whatever set of tools you need at any moment. Dragonmark kicks in to make it even better.
    Cantrips you have a degree of flexibility, but I'd be looking at the utility ones, or the melee weapon cantrips from SCAG.

3. - Top - End - #3

It sounds perfect for my wizard school drop-out barbarian. It'd give her just an extra touch of spellcasting.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

A Conjuration Wizard, giving them more versality to the things they make appear out of thin Air.

A Sorcerer of any origin; Goes well with their Trope, justifying things they make appear as part of their:

Divine Magic ("I make a lesser miracle manifest with my power")
    Shadow Magic (Conjuring Shadows to manifest as things, or "stich" things together)
    Dragonic Magic ("My will alone changes the cosmos around me, because I'm part dragon, and I'm magical like that")
    OR Chaos Magic ("I believed this had a high probability of happening, so it happened against all odds").

Goes less well with Storm Magic thematically, but hey, you're still a Sorcerer, and you can work a theme for it.

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

5. - Top - End - #5

RogueGirl

Intersting ideas. I hope the Artificer will also open up some fun interactions.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I would probably make a Forge Domain cleric, even if the stats don't line up that good. It feels fitting, and I can get my hands on Booming Blade/Green-flame Blade without a feat or multiclassing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Naanomi View Post
    One of the benefits of playing a Dwarf is that full plate armor is totally appropriate dress attire for social situations

7. - Top - End - #7

RogueGirl

Thematically the Forge Cleric is great but I don't know if the abilities align very well. Feels a bit like an Aasimar Paladin / Favored Soul, thematically great, mechanics wise not optimal...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

I'll take a plus to my sheild and another to my armor, thank you very much.
    How much Int is actually needed to use Mark of Making?
    Most of the Cantrips I would take don't have saves, targeting or even attack rolls.
    I would clear brush with Sword Burst, dig a hole with Move Earth,and make charcoal in it with Control Flame.
    Now, add Ritual Caster: Wizard for Find Familiar and Invisible Servant and you have minions.
    Animate Dead will help later on, skeletons in hard hats anyone?
    Now if only I could get ahold of 3.5 style Runes...

9. - Top - End - #9

RogueGirl

You are right, you are right. The more I think of it the better it sounds as a concept. Very MacGuyvery. The Wandslinger concept could fit that as well.