The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default We Are All in the Gutter [OOC]

Hey y'all, welcome! Please repost your character sheets here. Feel free to claim speech colors if you want, or don't, I don't have a preference one way or the other. If you do decide to speak in a color, though, I'd appreciate it if you made it one of the darker ones, just for the sake of my eyes.

A couple ground rules: In general, if 24 hours pass without any posts from y'all, I'll make a new post that will speed things along or introduce something new for you to react to. I'll try not to put you in situations that require action from one and only one character. I'll also try to ensure that no action is pointless—I abide by the belief that the most boring result in every situation is "nothing happens." So I encourage you to try everything, to take risks, and to try and fail big. Let me know if you have any questions about my approach or my rules, but in general let's just try and have some fun! Here's the link to the IC thread—you can start by introducing yourselves, or start immediately trying stuff that might help you escape, follow your bliss. Happy gaming!
    Icon of Ilsensine by Grinner.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Re: We Are All in the Gutter [OOC]

Slate

Speaking in Brown
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hello!

Cedric Toric, Vigilante Mechanic

Think I will go withdark green.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Greetings, Fellow Citizens of the Pact Worlds!

I guess I'll go with purple.

Spoiler: Taeon Quickfinger Valsari
    Show
    https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1917210

5. - Top - End - #5

How long have we been in at this point?

Also, I figure my character has some sort of headband or something that suppresses the function of his datajack. He's got his custom rig implanted in his head, so is that affected as well?

I assume so, because if not... that means that Cedric is in possession of a set of lockpicks and the engineering bonus to use them.
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2019-05-25 at 11:46 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

OrcBarbarianGuy

Carlos Perigo will speak in blue. Most importantly, going to 'take 20' to brew up some prison wine!
    Last edited by dojango; 2019-05-25 at 06:13 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

DrowGirl

I would also like to know if we have all just arrived in this block?
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stevesciguy View Post
    How long have we been in at this point?

Also, I figure my character has some sort of headband or something that suppresses the function of his datajack. He's got his custom rig implanted in his head, so is that affected as well?

I assume so, because if not... that means that Cedric is in possession of a set of lockpicks and the engineering bonus to use them.
    I'd say it's up to you how long your character's been in; I was assuming you'd been in for a while (at least a few weeks), but if you feel like it makes more sense for your character to have just arrived that's fine with me.

Your datajack isn't disabled, though any computer you had plugged into it would have been confiscated. And you do have the custom rig and therefore the necessary equipment for a Disable Device check, but the DC is high enough that you won't be able to get it without some bonus from another source, even taking 20 (I'm assuming you've already tried).

9. - Top - End - #9

OrcBarbarianGuy

Couple of weeks then for me. Long enough to get that first batch of pruno going.

10. - Top - End - #10

OldWizardGuy

People, I'm still new to PbP gaming and Giant in the Playground, so please forgive me for asking a stupid question. How do you encode a link so that others would have to click on your label to access the info. I'm asking because I would like to set up my posts like you do so that the name of my character shows up when anybody wants to access my Myth-weaver's character sheet. (I hope I'm making my request clear.) Thank you for your help.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

When writing or editing a post, you can highlight the word you want to turn into a link, then click the button at the top of the text editor that looks like two links of a chain underneath a globe (right underneath the button to change the color of your text). That should open up a field where you can enter the URL of your link, and it'll embed it in the text. It should look something like this, using a page I just happened to have open:

HTML Code:
    [url=https://www.narrativemagazine.com/issues/winter-2019/poetry/exhaling-and-other-poems-bob-hicok]Exhaling and Other Poems[/url]

Which, when other people read it, will look like:

Exhaling and Other Poems

Does that make sense?

12. - Top - End - #12

OldWizardGuy

Yes. I believe so. Thank you.

13. - Top - End - #13

OldWizardGuy

First off, I'm enjoying the campaign so far. I hope everyone else is, too. I think there's an interesting chemistry developing among the lot of us that I am looking forward to explore.

That being said, I want to apologize beforehand if Taeon insults any of your player characters. He doesn't really mean it. To be honest, he's a jackass and he loves to talk, but I'm hoping that he will learn and grow as a person during the course of this summer campaign.

Therefore, if I'm going beyond any boundaries -- whether those established by GIANT IN THE PLAYGROUND or those determined by anyone's personal sensitivities -- I ask you to please tell me to back off or dial it down. It is not my intention to hurt anyone in RL. Really. I'm just hoping that we all have a good time playing in plerumque's playground.

And, of course, please feel free to take a few cheap shots at Taeon! He deserves it.

Lastly, in the interests of fairness, I am supplying a link to a glossary of Taeon's more colorful terms for your information. I am relatively new to Starfinder and don't know if there's any interesting colloquialisms that the rpg system has already established for this setting. I am using terminology developed for the FARSCAPE TV series, which if you haven't seen it before, I strongly recommend that you take a look at it. See https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appen...Farscape_terms.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry for the tardiness, y'all, been out of town for a few days.

Slate: You don't see anything hidden. The main security measures are obvious: the transparent walls and the guards who do random sweeps for illicit activity (though they seem to have been getting a little lazy about it recently). Each day, the prisoners are divided up into shifts to work, exercise, and eat; they are changed frequently so as to prevent undue bonding.

Carlos: You're right in your guess about which guard might be willing to take a bribe—his name is Dave Chx'xt'zz and you've seen him accept bribes from other prisoners before (specifically, luxury goods from outside and love poems he can pretend to have written for his wife) in order to get them onto a better work shift.

15. - Top - End - #15

OldWizardGuy

Dojango: Taeon will react as soon as Carlos reports that Dave Chx'xt'zz is the most gullible guard.

Izzara: Taeon is not ignoring you. As soon as Slate gets involved in the conversation, the Lashunta will be more than happy to converse. I'm just assuming that Slate is the quiet type and he'll speak when he's good and ready.

Stevesciguy: I love your character!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Slate: The cells are ostensibly built to contain Small-size humanoids, but they may not have been especially careful (or had anyone of the appropriate size to test them). You can make an Acrobatics check to get into them, but it'll probably be difficult unless you can get extra bonuses somehow.

17. - Top - End - #17

DrowGirl

Could we have a bit more general information?
    I am guessing that we are each in a separate cells along the same hall.
    Are we always locked in the cells whenever we are not on work detail, exercise, etc. or is there free time when we can move about?

@artsmythe: Yeeeaaaahh he is the silent type *looks away* it has absolutely nothing to do with me trying to get my head into character.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Izzarra View Post
    Could we have a bit more general information?
    I am guessing that we are each in a separate cells along the same hall.
    Are we always locked in the cells whenever we are not on work detail, exercise, etc. or is there free time when we can move about?

@artsmythe: Yeeeaaaahh he is the silent type *looks away* it has absolutely nothing to do with me trying to get my head into character.
    Yeah, there's no unsupervised time outside of the cells. You're each assigned a block at the start of the day that will determine your schedule for the day, and the schedules are kept to pretty tightly. There is some free time after the last block finishes dinner at around 5pm when you're allowed to read, write, etc in your cells (and I'm assuming that's when you're talking), but then the lights get shut off at 9. The cells are 12 x 8 ft with three metal walls and one transparent wall, and are furnished with a cot, desk, stool, shelf, and a toilet and sink with a privacy curtain.

It sounds like y'all are about ready to move on, so unless anyone objects I'll make a post tomorrow that narrates the morning routine and divides you up into work groups for the day.

19. - Top - End - #19

OldWizardGuy

No objection on this end, plerumque. Let 'er rip!

20. - Top - End - #20

I'm ready to go! Bet I'll be on some kind of maintenance team or something

21. - Top - End - #21

What kind of stuff is my block repairing?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

What kind of stuff is my block repairing?
    Probably mostly just routine maintenance/cleaning stuff—fans and AC units in the ducts, leaky faucets and busted fridges in the kitchens, low water pressure and clogged drains in the showers. They won't have you doing a lot of stuff that's integral to security or involves Net access, but they might have you fix the TV in the guards' break room. You can also feel free to invent your own tasks—again, as long as it isn't clearly metagame-y or intended to make things super easy for you, I'm fine with it.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Plerumque View Post
    Probably mostly just routine maintenance/cleaning stuff—fans and AC units in the ducts, leaky faucets and busted fridges in the kitchens, low water pressure and clogged drains in the showers. They won't have you doing a lot of stuff that's integral to security or involves Net access, but they might have you fix the TV in the guards' break room. You can also feel free to invent your own tasks—again, as long as it isn't clearly metagame-y or intended to make things super easy for you, I'm fine with it.
    Alright, I'll have a post up tomorrow, since it's pretty late here. Probably gonna shimmy some of those AC units just a tad loose - enough that we could pop them off from inside the vents, hopefully. Might also see if I can count how many doors there are between us and the vehicle bay.

Edit: oh, maybe I could try and sneak a cable. If I can interface my datajack with the locks or something, getting out may be waaayy easier. Not very good at slight of hand, though

Unless the locks are just that good
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2019-06-11 at 10:49 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

DrowGirl

If I can interface my datajack with the locks or something.
    Slate also has a datajack, we might have to work together to get past the DC.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

artsmythe, I'm going to ask you to make a followup Diplomacy check for that—the guard's going to take some serious convincing to disband protocol and come alone, regardless of what he believes you can offer him. Or if you'd prefer, you can skip the check now and just try to get him alone later, as it's not uncommon for guards' partners to look the other way while they accept bribes.

26. - Top - End - #26

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Plerumque View Post
    artsmythe, I'm going to ask you to make a followup Diplomacy check for that—the guard's going to take some serious convincing to disband protocol and come alone, regardless of what he believes you can offer him. Or if you'd prefer, you can skip the check now and just try to get him alone later, as it's not uncommon for guards' partners to look the other way while they accept bribes.
    Fair is fair, plerumque. I'll wait my turn and try it later. Thanks for the offer, though.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

artsmythe, the forum won't let you add rolls in edits - try again in here.

28. - Top - End - #28

OldWizardGuy

Oh. Sorry about that. That explains it. (1d20+8)[24] Bluff guard.

29. - Top - End - #29

Are the locks on these doors computerized, or are they analog locks?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry for the radio silence, y'all; I've been out of town for a few days, but I'm back now.

Are the locks on these doors computerized, or are they analog locks?
    They're mechanical locks controlled by electrical signals from a main computer located elsewhere. Since you're considered to have the necessary equipment, I'll allow a check to get into the wiring and interface with the computer; the cord you snagged will provide a bonus, but it'll still be difficult. Aid Another etc might help, if you can make a decent case for it.

Everyone else: Is there more you want to accomplish, or should I move on to the next day?