New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: [5e] Shackles of Blood

"Two-Headed Ogre?" He ponders about the name, holding his chin as he tries to remember if he ever played that game before. "I believe I played it twice or thrice back on the high-seas, I know the jist of it." Zilo takes the now avaliable seat, expecting for the cards to be dealt to him as well. "Tough game, but that is what makes it fun!"

Spoiler: Rolls for when the game starts
    Show

Two insight checks:
    (1d20+2)[17]
    (1d20+2)[15]
    One persuasion check:
    (1d20)[8]

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

You go, Zilo. Ferrin grabs a small piece of tinder from the fire place and sits down in the proximity with a good view on the players. Just making sure you don't cheat my new friend out of his money. he thinks to himself. Prepared to whack any cheating hand with his stick, he plays with it like a child with nervous fingers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception(1d20+2)[7]

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Pushing his luck further, Ferrin decided to not indulge in drinking and look without staring.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth check to avoid being the guy who "stares" all the time.(1d20+7)[8]
    New Perception check: (1d20+2)[5]

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

"Ok I can try to Play a hand or 2"

Saying this Miras will just try to play the best he can and read the other players
    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

(1d20+3)[16] 1st Inteligence
    (1d20+3)[18] 2nd Intelligence
    (1d20+3)[15] Insight

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

The masked druidess made her way upstairs, then into the same booth as the Lady Lightsong. She gave the elf a measured glance, half-watching the rest of her new companions.

"Lightsong," she said at last. "Do you have proof it is the Redplumes? Do you know of anything it could be?"
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

Sigrid returned to the bar and Lucinda's side. "So, about that roasted beef. Think I'll have an order." She said, in a a calm mood. The schedule was set, no sense worrying about things before they happen.

She eyed the card-game Zilo and Miras were playing. She could have been dealt in, but decided to just observe for now...and it might just let her get a good read on their skill if she played them later. Watching a game was an interesting way to get to know people.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Ferrin, Miras, and Zilo

Another human stands up to make room for Miras as he announces that he will join the game as well. As cards are dealt and wagers are made, the conversation seems light-hearted enough as a friendly, yet competitive demeanor settles over the table. From his seat a bit further away, Ferrin doesn't see anything out of the ordinary, and his attempt to not look like he's staring at the other players is merely interpreted as an intense interest in the game itself. As the game progresses, Miras finds himself at a healthy advantage, plenty of good cards and well-placed trumps earns him a significant portion of the pot, earning him 2 gold coins. Zilo manages to have similar success, finding the little quirks and tells in his fellow players within the first few minutes of play. He wins back his gold coin as well as five silver coins for his efforts.

Guro

A short negotiation with Lucinda allows you to stay in the common room for the price of only 1 silver. You get a few curious glances as you prepare for your rest, and a few curious children come over and knock on your shell only to be quickly whisked away by their mothers, who don't even stay long enough to apologize.

Sigrid

"Comin' right up." Lucinda sends the order to the kitchen behind her, where the usual din of pots, pans, knives, and other utensils can be heard. She returns two minutes later with a plate with a few slices of roast beef covered in various spices and seasonings, as well as a brown sauce and some potatoes on the side. "That'll be four silver, unless you want something to drink with that."

Ophine

Olisandra looks up and opens her mouth as if to speak, but doesn't say anything, suprised that the druidess has joined her and not Ferris. When Ophine asks her question, the elf looks around and leans in conspiratorially and lowers her voice. "We're not really sure what's going on. More and more stories of Red Plumes acting beyond their creed keep reaching our ears, but we thought it was just stories and rumors." She puts on a slightly different voice, something matronly before mock-quoting, "If you don't eat your soup, the Red Plumes will come and take you away, you little brat." She chuckles at her own little joke before continuing, "We don't have any proof that they are even involved, but the frequency of these rumors concern us, which is why we have reached out to you."
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Huh, not even rigged after all. I start to like these people. Ferrin thinks. He goes over to the bartender and buys a bottle of fine wine with three cups. Looking for Lady Lightsong's booth, he sees Ophine as well and has the BIGGEST. Leaning on the nearest wall and portraying his trademark cocky grin. Fancy a drink you two? Ferrin smirks and offers both a wooden cup.
    Last edited by Spore; 2018-09-23 at 11:34 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Grinning from ear to ear as he takes pulls closer the silver he managed to win over, Zilo raises his hand to signify the bartender: "Get a round of ale for everything in this table from me!" he says loudly, and then looks back to everyone else at the table "Thanks for a good game chaps" the halfling says with hearty smile.

"I should introduce myself- Name's Zilo, currently on travel, and you?" he asks out of curiousity, trying to pass the time chatting as he waits for the drinks to come.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

A gold coin and free wine from Zilo, this evening could not be going better - Miras thinks to himself - for now, he will drink the wine and listen what the others say, but he will offer to buy the next round

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

A round of approving hollers and cheers follow Zilo's generous offer, and Lucinda gives the halfling a short nod before getting to work pouring the 5 drinks that had just been ordered. The humans take a short pause to settle debts and shuffle the cards before putting them away again before answering Zilo's question. The older man who had previously spoken introduces the group, extending his hand across the table to shake Zilo's and Miras's in turn. "The name's Anton Fordman. These fine folk are Holt Schneider, Angela Schneider, and ... sorry stranger, I forgot your name." He gesturesto the man and women who had offered their places for Zilo and Miras to join the game, who have since grabbed other chairs in order to rejoin the table, and one other man who was also playing with you, and chuckling at the awkwardness of the situation. "No worries, dear Anton. The game was a pleasure, and the company seems to have only increased in quality since these two have joined the table. My name is Alrik Miller, I'm simply getting away from Hillsfar for a few nights." Anton nods and continues, "As for the three of us, we're just hauling stuff back west. Probably going to take our time getting back to these parts, if you catch my drift."

Spoiler: Insight DC 12
    Show
    The way Anton and Alrik are choosing their words seems a bit odd, as if there's an underlying hostility that isn't being adressed. Alrik in particular seems to be fretting a bit now that you two are staying at the table.

Spoiler: Zilo
    Show
    5 mugs of ale will cost you 2 silver.

Spoiler: Ferrin
    Show
    A bottle of wine will cost you 1 gp, and while it might be the finest bottle in the establishment, it's a far cry from a properly fine wine, which would run up towards 10 gp.
    Last edited by WhismurWanders; 2018-09-25 at 04:48 AM.
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WhismurWanders View Post
    Sigrid

"Comin' right up." Lucinda sends the order to the kitchen behind her, where the usual din of pots, pans, knives, and other utensils can be heard. She returns two minutes later with a plate with a few slices of roast beef covered in various spices and seasonings, as well as a brown sauce and some potatoes on the side. "That'll be four silver, unless you want something to drink with that."

"Throw in an ale for me, if you please." Sigrid said as she passed four silvers and four coppers over the table and shifted the plate to one side so she could partake of it while still watching how that game turned out. Huh, Miras was pretty good.

...speaking of good, she would not get a goofy look on her face at how good this beef was. She had a persona to keep...gods, it practically melted in her mouth...

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

"I am Miras - ill gladly buy the next round - its your cash anyway - jokes Miras to the guys at the table, excuse me ill be back soon"

With this he goes up to the bar ...
    "Lucinda - your dish looks delicious, mind if I sit with you for a while, and order the same?"

Not waiting for a reply he will sit down and also order the meal - but for now drink the ale he got from Zilo
    Last edited by Xantin Rahl; 2018-09-25 at 08:33 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Getting away from Hillsfar?" Zilo asks impulsively, drinking from his ale. "Has the situation over there have gotten even more hectic recently?" He questions Alrik, resting his ale on the table for now as he looks at Anton. "And what kind of delivery are you bringing over to the west- If you don't mind me asking of course!"

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Ophine mulled over Lightsong's words for a moment.
    "Was there something that could cause an increase in hate? A murder of a human by non-; a speaker, decrying demi-humans as less than the woodland beasts."

She shrugged lightly.
    "I have cared little over the past years for the domains of men, bar when the dead walked in vile parody of nature. I would likely not know of any event."
    She paused in her speach when Ferrin approached and, with a smarmy grin, offered a drink.
    She considered for another second before she nodded slowly.
    "I will take some wine if offered, Ferrin."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Miras, Sigrid

Lucinda brings a mug of ale for Sigrid and takes the payment for it as well. As Mira approaches and makes his request, she rolls her eyes slightly and answers, "Don't take this the wrong way, but I've got a whole bar to be watching. Ain't got time for breaks and a meal."* However, she takes the man's order to the kitchen and returns soon with a platter decorated similarly to Sigrid's with food; a few cuts of roast beef laden with spices and seasonings, a few potatoes, and a brown sauce. She also requests four silver for the meal before leaving the two of you to your food, moving to the other end of the bar to pour more drinks.

Spoiler: *
    Show
    I think you meant to ask Sigrid if you can sit with her, but I couldn't resist running with the idea of having asked Lucinda if she can hang out for a bit and not enjoying being potentially flirted with while working

Zilo

Alrik waves off Zilo's concern with a quick motion of his hands and chuckles. "Oh no, nothing to be worried about. Just needed some time away from the noise and the busy streets. It feels good to breathe in the country air once in a while." Anton, on the other hand, reaches for a pipe and lights it in the meantime, puffing as Alrik speaks. When the man is finished, he answers Zilo, "Nothin' in particular. We got a caravan that runs from here all the way to the Sword Coast. We trade and sell stuff at most towns we stop in along the way. Tough to say what we have, each time it's a little different." He leans in conspiratorially and says, "Got something really special this time though. It'll pay plenty, but it ... well, let's just say some of the drivers are a bit too supersitious for their own good." He leans back and asks, "Who cares if all the goats we bought this trip came in litters of six? Just means there's more goats to sell than usual."

Spoiler: Nature/Animal Handling - DC 8
    Show
    It is very unusual for goats to have more than twins, let alone sextuplets. The other workers are definitely right to suspect something.

Ferrin, Ophine

Olisandra is also welcoming to the idea of Ferrin joining the two ladies, and allows him to take a seat next to whoever he pleases. She answers Ophine directly, "We are not aware of anything out of the ordinary. Nomenthal's recent insistance on enforcing the Law of Humanity wasn't entirely unexpected, and of course there was violence against non-humans as they were forcibly evicted from the city, and the non-humans would often resist where they could." She asks Ferrin to pour her a cup of wine, and takes a sip from it before continuing, "I could not point out a single incident that would have caused this."

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Zilo looks at Anton with eyes wide open, and maintains that shocked expression as he slowly takes a swig from his ale.
    After just as slowly putting the drink back on the table, he finally responds. "So, uh..." Shaking his head quickly to try and clear his mind from the surprise, he continues his sentence.

"It is rare enough for goats to give birth to twins, but a whole six?" Zilo leans back to his chair as he ponders about this for a moment. "Well... supersitions aside, you must have checked already the goats are in proper shape, right? That is whats important after all if you plan to sell them."

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Ferrin folds his hands and his face forms an unusual frown. My business was investigated as well. Of course my operations made us a pretty big deal, and my half-breed friend is still incarcarated. I am just lucky I am friends with an influential Paladin of Tyr who busted me out. But Nomenthal still got my friend in custody. So, do you mean there is a connection?

Ferrin sits silently and listens to the replies while thinking. Was there really a surge in hostility in response to anything that he caused, or was it something that he is aware of? The fencer rubs his stubbly chin.

Spoiler
    Show
    History check (1d20)[3]

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

And here I fought I can get a free drink and nice company - Miras thinks to himself after Lucinda's denial.

He will eat his beef and watch what the others are up to. If nothing of interest comes up he will retire for the night

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Oak-crowned Ophine cautiously sipped at her wine.
    "What is your business, Ferrin?"

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

The gig started as a way to make money. We smuggled Dragon's Breath into the city. The taxes were always too high for such a commodity. Step after step, I saw the suffering. The good people who were disowned by the benevolent Lord Regent. Children starving because their parents could not go out and find proper work. The power one has over an illegal citizen is astounding. I have seen half-breeds die in underground fighting rings. I have seen others selling their bodies to provide a modicum to live. But I urge the people to get out of town. Most follow the advice. They get their city goods from me. In exchange I get rarer stuff, that is wanted on the black market. Pipeweed made by halflings, gnomish tools, elven artworks, dwarven brews, anything. Nomenthal doesn't realize his hatred is cutting into his own flesh for the city is poorer without the other races. Ferrin has a very sentimental and euphoric look. He is dreaming of a better world. But they caught us. A guard raid toppled my friend Kiru's bar, but luckily it was led by a very empathetic paladin of Tyr. That is why we are both still alive. I was released on a technicality, but they refused to let Kiru leave due to his half-elven heritage. My friend is busy postponing Kiru's execution, and the only way I can find to prevent that is by paying the judge. So you see, my fair lady, that money is my primary concern because it is imperative to my friend's survival.

Ferrin's eyes meet those of Ophine and Olisandra because he assumes they think he lies.

Spoiler
    Show
    Persuasion to convince Lightsong he is saying the truth: (1d20+6)[26]
    Insight(1d20+2)[11]

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xantin Rahl View Post
    And here I fought I can get a free drink and nice company - Miras thinks to himself after Lucinda's denial.

He will eat his beef and watch what the others are up to. If nothing of interest comes up he will retire for the night
    Sigrid chuckled at the antics. "You'll have to order your own, but I don't mind a little company. Was just seeing how that card game was playing out." she said, taking a swig of her drink.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Zilo

Anton reaches over and gives Zilo a hearty clap on the shoulder. "Aye, that's exactly what I mean. You see, you're the kind of person I need on these drives. Someone with their head on their shoulders, and a good eye for making the best of strange situations." He looks around before lowering his voice, "You know what I think? I've got an idea that goats are just having a good year. Some priest probably blessed 'em so they could have more kids. Just like them dwarves with that, uh ... Thunder Blessing they're always goin' on about." He leans back and gives Zilo a look as if he'd imparted the halfling with some incredible information he probably shouldn't have shared before taking the mug to his lips.

Ferrin, Ophine

Olisandra only half-listens to Ferrin's story. The human rogue gets the impression that none of this is news to her, instead of an actual disinterest in the subject at hand. When Ferrin finishes, she remarks, "While I do think your friend is in an unfortunate situation, all of us here know that the people of Hillsfar are simply afraid of outsiders. Sure, things look bad now, but it's only centuries of fear finally coming to the surface. Like I said, this goes much further back than any of your lifespans. Even mine, as a matter of fact."

Spoiler: Ferrin's History Roll
    Show
    Nothing comes to mind, and Olisandra's story seems legitimate. There's no single event which has led to Nomenthal and the recent ousting of the non-humans. Things seem to have just come to a frothing boil after a long enough time.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Ferrin does do a dismissive hand gesture. And I can perfectly understand that. ISome of the Lord Regent's followers have legitimate concerns. Maybe the human merchant is pushed out of business by the Dwarven blacksmith that has honed his skills for decades and can produce better quality for a fraction of the price. Maybe they feel threatened by a Half-Orc with arms the size of small trees even if he or she does not mean harm. And even elves, sorry my lady, but you are kind of enigmatic, and magic runs in your blood. We don't know anything about that, for all we care you could enchant us, burn us alive or drain out our soul. As my friend Kiru put it, you are just capable of the barest tricks without training but that alone is plenty enough to put a scare to the people. Ferrin stares in the distance. Being well informed and approaching the topic with an open mind is KEY to its solution. The dwarf cannot produce without the human's fine ores. The Half-Orc can guard important human politicans, his very presence prevents blood-shed. And I assume I do not have to explain the potential of magic to you, my lady.

He turns to Ophine. But what I really don't understand is how you come into the equation here. If you pardon the expression, you don't look like you join civilisation often, so why now? I know nature spirits have a whole different agenda, even if you ignore the playful sprites and other fey. Why would they care about a few farmsteads burned down? If anything you would be happy for the land to return to its wild roots. I try to stay open-minded as much as I can but I really don't see what you can gain from us. Or does the wilds tire you? Want a warm bed, or do you look for a man to settle down with you? Ferrin smirks again. Because I am sure as the Nine Hells not that one. He smiles happily at Ophine, not trying to offend her, even though he probably just did anyway.
    Last edited by Spore; 2018-09-30 at 06:52 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Ophine returned his glance, unsmiling, though her tone was the same moderated husky murmur, slightly amused.
    "Rest assured I am not looking for a man, nor for a bed in an ugly shell of stone and carved timber. Once this business is done, I will gladly abandon the world of men once more." The druidess took another sip from her cup. "I came here of curiosity, little more. A summons, to the venerable grove in which I reside? Enough to pique my interest, certainly. As for my intent..."

She trailed off briefly as she thought of her wording, shutting her eyes and slowly opening them again.
    "Nature is not kind; through choking vine or fang of beast, countless tiny lives end each day so that others may continue. This is as things are, and should be." She placed her cup down and lent back, her green gaze intense. "A animal kills to eat or survive. They do not do so out of cruelty or malice, as is done here. Such a thing is unnatural to me. It is true; many of the deepwoods spirits care not for you and your ilk. Their dances under the leaves would be all the more joyful for the early passing of civilisation. But bees build a hive, beavers dams; man is much the same, but on greater scale. As long as he restrains his greed, I see no reason for his destruction."

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Thunder blessing?" Zilo asks in response, having not heard about this type of "blessing" before.

"That is the first time I heard about it- What kind of blessing is it?" He inquires, taking another sip from his drink.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Great, this one's a nutjob. Ferrin thinks while smiling at death and decay and philosophy. So I have to thank the Lady for your aid then? I hope we are richer for it. I have heard you people can turn into anything that stalk the woods, the plains or the sea? While I have trust into our turtle friend, I feel it could help getting a good aerial view or have a nose as fine as a wolf's to find the right tracks. But for now, you should refrain from insulting the innkeeper's decorative choices. Ferrin takes a deep sip, and fills his second cup to the brim. While we warp the world around us to our whims, we too are bound to nature. Don't you think we could learn of each other?

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Zilo

Anton shrugs. "Nine Hells if I know. Just somethin' the dwarves claim makes their women have more kids."

Spoiler: Religion DC 10
    Show
    The dwarf population was actually declining for quite a while. According to the dwarves, Moradin intervened on their behalf, and decided to split all the dwarven souls which would return to the Material Plane in order to raise the population. This event is called the Thunder Blessing.

(Coincidentally, this is also the GM's favorite lore tidbit in 5e.)

Ferrin, Ophine

Olisandra leans her elbows on the table, and rests her chin on the backs of her hands. She has an amused expression on her face as Ophine and Ferrin have their little back-and-forth.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Ophine merely shrugged at them being better or worse off with her.
    "Without Lightsong's summons I doubt any of us would be here. Thank her if you wish."
    She crossed her arms and lent back against her seat, letting out a faint huff of amusement.
    "No doubt you have heard many things about my kind. I am but a novice in the woodland ways, and many secrets are yet veiled to me, but the shape of many creatures runs in my blood. The soaring bird or gleaming fish - they are beyond me, as yet. I will learn in time."
    She looked down into the dregs of her cup, then pushed it away slightly. A bed of read trickled down from the rim, and the Oak-Crowned absently caught it with a finger.
    "What do you believe I would learn from civilisation, Ferrin?"

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Ferrin laughs. Yes, I was just about to ask you to turn into a fish for us!
    As for what you could learn from us? Well, treating your fellow humans and humanoids with a bit of respect for once. And to ease off the mysticism for a few hours. I know you godly servants work differently but it is all magic in this world. You waggle a few fingers and you get what you want. Nothing that makes you better or worse than our kind. In my eyes, magic just makes you a lord of the arcane, the divine, or any other force. Same as a captain commands its guards, same as a master spy works with his informants.

Even if Ferrin understood the divine principle of magic being a gift rather than a skill or even command over powers, he doesn't show it. He tries to level the playing field in order to ensure Ophine's help when it comes to it. The smuggler placed his hands firmly on Ophine's shoulders, gently turning her to face him. If we have to work together I HAVE to to know you will have my back, and I will have yours. Do you understand? I cannot work with someone who would abandon us, and you are the one that has principles that could prevent you from helping us out. I am not calling you a coward, or a zealot. I just ask of you to keep a promise. If you need to part ways, I want you to tell us before you do it.