New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Best / worst titles in media

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    And yeah, speaking of booze, catering. Even if you don't pay your guys, 100 bucks for pizza and coffee a day for a month comes in at 30'000.
    Not to mention, it was filmed on location in Ottowa, Canada - most cities charge exorbitant fees in order to film on locations, more so in public places, and then you have to pay insurance for 20+ people to do so. I can only imagine how much of a mark-up that cost would get since it was from a large, world-renown city.

...Assuming they bothered with such petty things of course, and didn't just load everything into a minivan and head down the local park & rec area without telling anyone... which by the looks of things they might well have done....

Anyways, here's another film which has managed to worm it's way into my brain, for reasons that I'm not too sure about: The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension! How's THAT for a title?

It stars RoboCop as a rock star/racing driver/genius inventor/PhD physicist/premiere neurosurgeon/gentleman adventurer who invents a car that can drive so fast that it can travel through dimensions, and in doing so discovers a race of lizard-aliens who are plotting to body-snatch just enough of humanity in order to enact an invasion. Despite sounding - and being - utterly ridiculous, it has a surprisingly impressive cast, including the Kurgan, Dr. Malcolm, Doc Brown and creepy Gestapo guy from Raiders of the Lost Ark as President of the United States.

Just... wow. It's awful, but in that extremely silly way that makes it utterly engrossing.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Not to mention, it was filmed on location in Ottowa, Canada - most cities charge exorbitant fees in order to film on locations, more so in public places, and then you have to pay insurance for 20+ people to do so. I can only imagine how much of a mark-up that cost would get since it was from a large, world-renown city.
    Actually most cities tend to be more accomodating than exorbiant these days.

Consider that spectacular blockbusters (ie wellfunded movies) film "New York" in Canada (Toronto I think?) because they can do it more cheaply. It looks close enough but you don't have to deal with actual New York.

It's also quite common to get kickbacks on filming from cities, states/provinses/countries due to the economic side-effects of filming. E.g. financial support on the cost spent locally.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Adderbane View Post
    Any use of ": The Movie" is particularly bad in my opinion.
    With the obvious exception of Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters. It's the perfect title for that film.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Shingeki no Kyojin literally translates to "Advance of the Giant(s)" or "Advancing Giant(s)". You can play around with the exact terms to get "Attacking Titans" or "Attack of the Titans", but there's no wriggle room with the gramar. It's just wrong.
    Record of Lodoss War is at least containing the correct information, but nobody would phrase it like that in fluent English.

While not a terrible title in itself, I don't understand why they named the game "Dragon Age II"

Dragon Age: Origins
    Dragon Age: Awakening
    Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne
    Dragon Age: The Calling
    Dragon Age II
    Dragon Age: Asunder
    Dragon Age: Inquisition

Did they just forget the naming convention they had established?

Oh, this reminds me of a whole bunch of terrible titles:

Conan the Barbarian (2011)
    The Thing (2011)
    Thief (2014)
    Doom (2016)
    God of War (2018)

Don't do that. It's forbidden.
    Reminds me of the Dark Forces series of Star Wars games which have the best naming convention ever.

Star Wars: Dark Forces
    Star Wars: Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight
    Star Wars: Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast
    Star Wars: Jedi Outcast 2: Jedi Academy

So basically the last game is "Star Wars: Dark Forces 4: Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Outcast 2: Jedi Academy"

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Anyways, here's another film which has managed to worm it's way into my brain, for reasons that I'm not too sure about: The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension! How's THAT for a title?

It stars RoboCop as a rock star/racing driver/genius inventor/PhD physicist/premiere neurosurgeon/gentleman adventurer who invents a car that can drive so fast that it can travel through dimensions, and in doing so discovers a race of lizard-aliens who are plotting to body-snatch just enough of humanity in order to enact an invasion. Despite sounding - and being - utterly ridiculous, it has a surprisingly impressive cast, including the Kurgan, Dr. Malcolm, Doc Brown and creepy Gestapo guy from Raiders of the Lost Ark as President of the United States.

Just... wow. It's awful, but in that extremely silly way that makes it utterly engrossing.
    Are you kidding? It's a movie where all said lizard-aliens are named John (regardless of gender), including John Bigboote (it's big boo-TAY!!).

...yeah, it's awful, but it knows it, and it's real fun

Quote Originally Posted by McNum View Post
    Reminds me of the Dark Forces series of Star Wars games which have the best naming convention ever.

Star Wars: Dark Forces
    Star Wars: Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight
    Star Wars: Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast
    Star Wars: Jedi Outcast 2: Jedi Academy

So basically the last game is "Star Wars: Dark Forces 4: Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Outcast 2: Jedi Academy"
    Well, each game is the sequel to the last, right? Makes sense, in an insane kind of way. At least it's consistent.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Actually most cities tend to be more accomodating than exorbiant these days.

Consider that spectacular blockbusters (ie wellfunded movies) film "New York" in Canada (Toronto I think?) because they can do it more cheaply. It looks close enough but you don't have to deal with actual New York.

It's also quite common to get kickbacks on filming from cities, states/provinses/countries due to the economic side-effects of filming. E.g. financial support on the cost spent locally.
    I remember, I think it was Spider Man 2 (the second Spiderman 2, not the Raimi one with Doc Ock) filmed in my city, despite us being nowhere near the size or scope of new york. I remember an Oscorp van being parked outside the building I worked in at the time. It was a huge pain for a lot of us and almost certainly wasn't worth it overall.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by McNum View Post
    Any title with a colon in is a strong indicator of bankruptcy in the imagination department. Four colons in one title? - suggests "strictly for people who think the prequel was robbed at awards time".
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

8. - Top - End - #68
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    Any title with a colon in is a strong indicator of bankruptcy in the imagination department. Four colons in one title? - suggests "strictly for people who think the prequel was robbed at awards time".
    And yet, ironically, it is by all appearances a pretty good game (haven't managed to play it yet myself- actually bought it at a thrift store not long ago... and discovered the installation disc was missing )

As for titles? Hmm I'd say some good ones were

Escape from New York is pretty good as titles go- it neatly encapsulates the driving thrust of the movie and is slightly intriguing- why, exactly, would you want to escape from New York? Well, aside from the obvious reason of not wanting to be in New York anymore, which would be a bit tougher to make an entertaining movie about and probably wouldn't star Kurt Russell.

I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream (Harlan Ellison)- mouthlessness and wanting to scream are not necessarily the entire focus of the plot (although it's definitely a factor), but the title grabs your attention rather well, I'd say.

On the other end, a title that I am tremendously fond of, but really doesn't relate well to the plot, would be Under a Killing Moon (A Tex Murphy adventure game). On the one hand, a title like that pretty much oozes Noir, and the game is certainly that. On the other hand, it doesn't do much to indicate the presence of the flying cars, oppressed underclass of mutants, and ray-gun battles that Buck Rogers would probably be more comfortable with than Sam Spade would.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

A great title makes you really curious what kind of story could possibly be described accurately by that name.

It makes people want to get a short description of it, which is your foot in the door to get an audience. And as a reader, viewer, and player I also like them because it makes me aware of something I could find interesting that would otherwise have disapppeared in a vast pile of bland mediocracy that comes out every day.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream (Harlan Ellison)- mouthlessness and wanting to scream are not necessarily the entire focus of the plot (although it's definitely a factor), but the title grabs your attention rather well, I'd say.
    I'd say while it's not immediately apparent I'd say the title fits the story quite well, on the one hand the ending, at the other as is touched upon, AM's entire existence.

Also, after having it explained to me, retracting my previous complaint about Mockingjay and Catcher
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Shingeki no Kyojin literally translates to "Advance of the Giant(s)" or "Advancing Giant(s)". You can play around with the exact terms to get "Attacking Titans" or "Attack of the Titans", but there's no wriggle room with the gramar. It's just wrong.
    And then later in the story it turns out that "Shingeki no Kyojin" is the proper name of the story's most prominent Titan, so "The Attack Titan" or "The Vanguard Titan" also work.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Thief (2014)...
    For some reason, I had it in mind that this was styled as "Thi4f". After a bit of googling it looks like that wasn't actually the final branding for it, but in any case sticking numbers in the middle of titles is something I'm not at all keen on. Se7en at least sort of works as a leetspeak thing, but Fant4stic is just awful (although I guess that means it suits the movie?).

On a similar note, bands using dodgy spellings to make them easier to search online, like Chvrches and Pvris. I insist on pronouncing them as-written because I'm a cantankerous old git.
    Allergy advice: posts may contain traces of sarcasm

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ebon_Drake View Post
    On a similar note, bands using dodgy spellings to make them easier to search online, like Chvrches and Pvris. I insist on pronouncing them as-written because I'm a cantankerous old git.
    I mean, not old enough, considering that is how V would be used in Old English.

14. - Top - End - #74

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    "A Place Further than the Universe" (amazing beautiful show, but still)
    That one at least makes more sense in Japanese. A more literal translation would be "sky" rather than "universe" and it's a reference to the lateral distance between Japan and Antarctica being greater than the vertical distance from Japan to space. And I think once the meaning is clear it's a decent title.

It's not exactly fair to throw anime into the mix, though....

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I find that the original Japanese episode titles for anime are often just a description of what happens in the episode, which is quite odd to Western ears. They generally get renamed for Western consumption.
    Like the title of one episode of I think it was Railgun is an explanation for why one-piece swimsuits only suit slender girls.

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    Had they just called it "John Carter of Mars" it would give at least a vague hint of the content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    Just having a person's name isn't a great choice for a movie title to begin with, but if your film is sci fi, fantasy, or some flavor thereof, you need to put something in the title that suggests that.
    Why name a movie "John Carter" when the character's days of fame were almost a century ago and only a few fans of obscure early sci-fi know it? Especially when you could use the more recognizable version of his name that is "John Carter of Mars". Now that's a title that is already much more interesting.
    Maybe they realized the film would bomb and were leaving the door open for a future adaptation to say "No, not that John Carter... this is John Carter of Mars."

To add some bad titles to the mix...

It's not the worst title ever, but the director of The Wrath of Khan hated that and incidentally its original title The Undiscovered Country made much more sense for that movie than for Star Trek VI.

But it's hard to beat 2 Fast 2 Furious.
    Last edited by JCarter426; 2018-09-15 at 09:48 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by JCarter426 View Post
    It's not the worst title ever, but the director of The Wrath of Khan hated that and incidentally its original title The Undiscovered Country made much more sense for that movie than for Star Trek VI.
    How does "The Wrath of Khan" not suit a movie whose entire plot revolves around Khan trying to get revenge against James Kirk for abandoning him 20-odd years ago? And why does "The Undiscovered Country" make *more* sense, to your mind? I'm not seeing it.

16. - Top - End - #76

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I mean, not old enough, considering that is how V would be used in Old English.
    Isn't that more a Latin thing? In Middle English it was more a case of using an irritating Romanesque font in titles that uses V for both u and v (for example). I could possibly see that argument for Chvrches, but when was Paris ever spelt with a v?

Thinking more about the Thief games, that's another game series with an odd aversion to counting above 2. We have:
    Thief: The Dark Project (good title)
    Thief 2: The Metal Age (also pretty good)
    Thief: Deadly Shadows (another good title, but why not call it Thief 3?)
    Thief (2014)/Thi4f (get outta here ya clown)
    Last edited by Ebon_Drake; 2018-09-16 at 06:28 AM.
    Allergy advice: posts may contain traces of sarcasm

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

3 pages and no Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo? For shame.

Heck, it even named the badly named sequels page on TVTropes.

18. - Top - End - #78

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    How does "The Wrath of Khan" not suit a movie whose entire plot revolves around Khan trying to get revenge against James Kirk for abandoning him 20-odd years ago? And why does "The Undiscovered Country" make *more* sense, to your mind? I'm not seeing it.
    I said it was like that in Nicholas Meyer's mind. But I do think it's more poignant. The plot is about Khan in that he's the bad guy doing all the bad things, but "The Wrath of Khan" only says that he's the bad guy and doesn't speak to rest of the story's contents. It sounds more like an action film in the way that Bond films are often named after the bad guy (Dr No, Goldfinger, The Man with the Golden Gun, etc). "The Undiscovered Country" is a reference to Hamlet when he's talking about death in the "to be or not to be" soliloquy and the whole film is about the characters facing death amidst Khan's literary references.

Meanwhile, the actual Undiscovered Country, Star Trek VI, doesn't have any of those things. It's about Kirk breaking out of space prison.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Meanwhile, the actual Undiscovered Country, Star Trek VI, doesn't have any of those things. It's about Kirk breaking out of space prison.
    I always guessed it was referencing the peace with the Klingons as the new country that Kirk (mostly) has problems getting used to. Most other Star Trek titles are more direct, though.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

20. - Top - End - #80

Yeah, maybe, but that makes it somewhat of an appropriated metaphor. In the original context, Hamlet's specifically talking about death. It doesn't suit VI nearly as much as it would suit II.

21. - Top - End - #81

Flumph

Why name a movie "John Carter" when the character's days of fame were almost a century ago and only a few fans of obscure early sci-fi know it? Especially when you could use the more recognizable version of his name that is "John Carter of Mars". Now that's a title that is already much more interesting.
    Because they were afraid of spending a lot of money on a sci-fi film so they took the "of Mars" out of the title to try and trick people into forgetting it was Sci-Fi.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Yeah, maybe, but that makes it somewhat of an appropriated metaphor. In the original context, Hamlet's specifically talking about death. It doesn't suit VI nearly as much as it would suit II.
    It makes a lot more sense when you consider that Star Trek VI is basically an analogue for the end of the Cold War - which the Federation/Klingon conflict was directly referencing throughout the show. The Undiscovered Country is moving into a more peaceful time. It's also a metaphor for the retirement of the characters (and by extension, the actors). There's lots of meaning to it, there just isn't the same specific meaning that Shakespeare was using. Unsurprising, since most movie-going audiences wouldn't get the reference.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I always guessed it was referencing the peace with the Klingons as the new country that Kirk (mostly) has problems getting used to. Most other Star Trek titles are more direct, though.
    It's a Hamlet quote about... death, I believe. I think it's pretty clever - and pretty Star Trek - to change its meaning to be about the post-Cold War future. I would put it as the best title honestly, whereas Star Trek Into Darkness is my least favourite as it blurs insipid wordplay mixed with trying too hard to be cool/not your father's Star Trek.

DARRKNESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

As to the topic, I think the worst titles are the ones that I can't remember. I mean, objectively speaking. There are DVD I have in my disc folders where it's just the title written all shiny-like and have genuinely no idea what the movie it describes is without Googling.

Edge of Tomorrow - a movie I personally love though it was a financial flop - had sufficient issues with that title that their marketing changed it with the home media release to Live, Die, Repeat. They kept the Edge of Tomorrow there too, in case you weren't confused. While I don't think Edge of Tomorrow is a bad title aesthetically speaking, it does sound like an early 80's soap opera title you've never heard of. Still, it is a case where the studio clearly believed it lost money because of the film's name.

I still firmly believe they should have just called it All You Need is Kill.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    Edge of Tomorrow - a movie I personally love though it was a financial flop - had sufficient issues with that title that their marketing changed it with the home media release to Live, Die, Repeat. They kept the Edge of Tomorrow there too, in case you weren't confused. While I don't think Edge of Tomorrow is a bad title aesthetically speaking, it does sound like an early 80's soap opera title you've never heard of. Still, it is a case where the studio clearly believed it lost money because of the film's name.

I still firmly believe they should have just called it All You Need is Kill.
    I'd say the biggest problem Edge of Tomorrow has is that it gives no clue what the film is about. Heck, I don't even think the trailers did a good job because the film passed me by entirely until I heard the buzz and picked it up afterwards. For audiences, it just looked like another Oblivion.

Of course, the changed title does give away the twist, and it's clear that the filmmakers wanted it to be a surprise.

25. - Top - End - #85

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    DARRKNESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
    Now that the Dark Souls series is over, I think we can safely have a moratorium on the word "Dark" in the title of things.

Like a decade or so. Fifteen years maybe.

Then they have it back.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I'd say the biggest problem Edge of Tomorrow has is that it gives no clue what the film is about. Heck, I don't even think the trailers did a good job because the film passed me by entirely until I heard the buzz and picked it up afterwards. For audiences, it just looked like another Oblivion.

Of course, the changed title does give away the twist, and it's clear that the filmmakers wanted it to be a surprise.
    Kinda. The trailer does show Tom Cruise dying several times and waking up, and kind of explaining the premise. It even flashes "LIVE", "DIE", "REPEAT" several times.

The second official trailer explains his death and return pretty clearly however.

What wasn't clear is much of the context beyond that. The Mimics and the war are nearly completely undefined, for instance. Also it's a really gloomy trailer - both of 'em - and Edge of Tomorrow is actually pretty funny in a dark gallows humour kind of way. They were leaning pretty heavy into this being a Tom Cruise movie as their chief marketing tool, that the trailers make clear.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ebon_Drake View Post
    Isn't that more a Latin thing? In Middle English it was more a case of using an irritating Romanesque font in titles that uses V for both u and v (for example). I could possibly see that argument for Chvrches, but when was Paris ever spelt with a v?
    Is it supposed to be Paris? I've never heard of them, so I assumed it was Puris.