1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Yet Another (5e) Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal

In 2009, I played a wizard named Imsril in a Red Hand of Doom game that the DM (kjones) kept an excellent campaign journal for on these forums.

In the intervening decade, I've spent most of my roleplaying time on the other side of the screen. I ran Red Hand of Doom once, shortly after I finished playing, and it was a blast; though trying to cram it into one winter vacation meant a frantic pace and a somewhat rotating cast of characters that left it a little shorter on character-driven RP than I usually prefer.

I recently finished grad school and moved across the country, which meant leaving behind the group that I had been GMing for 6 years across three campaigns (two of whom had played in kjones' RHoD with me--the players of Cam and Gale). This led to some reminiscing, which gave me the idea of revisiting Red Hand of Doom again with a fresh party in a new city.

And after rereading kjones's journal to help myself prep, I decided that I should keep a journal here as well. One of my New Year's Resolutions was to keep better notes about my RPGs, and it might be interesting to other people as well.

I started GMing 5e before the Monster Manual was out and I haven't looked back (... mostly), so I decided that the best thing to do would be to run a 5e adaptation, and I stumbled across https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...de-and/updates. Unfortunately legal issues seem to be preventing more people from purchasing it currently, though I hope that gets resolved some day?

So without further ado let's introduce the cast of characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Zehra Daardendrian, a Red Dragonborn Paladin of Conquest. Once heir presumptive to the Azran Empire (think the Ottoman Empire circa 1500), she found herself pushed aside when a younger brother was born. After a few years being groomed for a military life, she set out her own in search of honor, fortune, and a place to become the benevolent warlord of. Heavily armored, battleaxe-wielding, do-not-****-with attitude. When asked whether it's better to rule through fear or love, she isn't quite sure what you mean by "rule through love".

(Zehra Daardendrian is a nom de guerre, with Daardendrian meaning "of the frightful storm" in Draconic. Her original name is Sultana Azra.)

Built around inflicting fear (with both the Conquest Paladin ability and a Dragonborn feat), wading into melee, and brawling things down.

Aideen Theasdaughter, a Half-Elf Phoenix Sorcerer (from UA). Born to an elf mother in a small community in the southern Witchwood, at a young age Aideen accidentally caused a forest fire, prompting her and her mother to move to exile in the Giantshield mountains. After her mother's death (for which she blames her elf kin), she left for a life of adventuring. She tends to not understand people very well, given that she grew up in isolation, and is used to being rejected when people realize her heritage. This makes her very loyal to her (few) friends. She is close companions with Zehra, who has fire resistance.

Built around blasting the everloving stuffing out of people with fire spells. I'm interested in seeing how the player balances 18 Charisma with not understanding people very well!

Salen Glarosk, a Human Grave Cleric of Wee Jas. An orphan with no memory of his family, he was raised by the academy of Wee Jas in the large city of Nexus. Upon coming of age, he devoted himself to the temple and became a cleric. Upon raising concerns about the propriety of senior clergy accepting "donations" from local necromancers (presumbably to look the other way), Salen was sent on a quest to retrieve the long-lost works of the Wizard of Peχavn, which are largely believed to be a myth. Though at the start of his 14-year quest Salen believed this as well, he has since come to believe they are real, and may be in the Elsir Vale.

Grave clerics are kind of silly. They double down on one of 5e's cheesiest mechanics (that damage past hitting 0 is ignored, so it is often best to wait until somebody drops to heal them). So we'll see how I feel about this in play.

Cora Sandhill, a Lightfoot Halfling Inquisitive Rogue. Born in the part of the Azran Empire most equivalent to southern Egypt, she spent her childhood with parents who made a living searching mysterious ancient ruins for goods to sell. She loved learning everything about them, and left in protest when her family started working with tomb strippers who were intersted only in profit, and set out for adventure. She knows Zehra, having travelled in the same convoy North from the Azran empire.

Designed to be able to sneak attack without needing to hide or have an ally around. Curious how it will work.

Hoss Basingstoke, a Human Spell-Less Variant Ranger (UA) Hunter. Hoss is the former small-town sheriff of Red Rock, but prefers to keep to himself; his least favorite part of the job was the recognition: what's so great about being good at killing things? He was forced out of the job a few weeks ago, though, after failing to track down the murderer of a young human child, having exonerated the public scapegoat, a young orc. Frustrated and humiliated and remembering his childhood dreams of making it out of Red Rock, he has set out across the Vale. Hoss and Aideen know each other at least a little, as Red Rock is where Aideen and her mother purchased supplies.

He's a archery ranger, and the spell-less variant gives some fighter manuevers. He's aiming mostly to synergize well with the rest of the party for those.

The starting situation:
    Spoiler
    Show

The party formed in Brindol in a pretty simple way: Cora Sandhill heard rumors of Vraath Keep, and set about recruiting a party to join her in exploring it. The other characters joined up, though many have some reasons of their own (which the other characters might not know about):

Zehra has heard rumors about goblin raids in the western vale, and figures it might be a chance to make more of name for herself. Aideen is happy to join her best friend.

While searching the archives in Dennovar, Salen began having dreams of the Witchwood, which he believes are divinely inspired.

Hoss has got a buddy from Red Rock who moved to Drellin's Ferry to become a brewer, so he figured he'd tag along with the people heading that way. By the time they've gotten there he's been swayed by their excitement to accompany the party in earnest.

Thoughts:
    Spoiler
    Show

This is the first serious campaign I've started since Xanythar's guide came out, and most of my players decided to take full advantage of it.
    Not a single character is playing a core archetype. The conversion guide seems like a pretty good starting point, but I suspect it will need a bunch of tweaking to have the right power level. All of the players seem to have built pretty tough characters, despite some of them not having a lot of experience.

This group has played together as a group once before, in a five-or-so session mini-campaign I ran recently. That game didn't have a whole lot of structure or plan, and the defining characteristic of the game was two party members each coming up with a plan---either of which would have been reasonable in isolation---and then executing them both, to hilarious disaster. I'm excited to see how they do when there is something real at stake.

The party has got a handful of decent connections between characters, though Salen is pretty disconnected. I hope some more can develop, since that is one of my favorite parts of the game.

Game starts tomorrow. I wasted a bunch of money on miniatures, filled out a bunch of monster trackers, and printed out a bunch of full-color maps with my employer's printer. Let's roll!
    Last edited by msully4321; 2018-09-12 at 11:00 AM. Reason: typo

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: Yet Another (5e) Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal

It's been about ten years since I ran Red Hand of Doom for msully4321 and company, and probably at least seven since I've posted here. I'm excited to revisit both!

I love the character backgrounds, especially Zehra the dragonborn paladin and Salen the death cleric. Zehra reminds me a lot of a really fun character from Divinity II: Original Sin, and I love Salen's concept of a character so devoted to their order that they succeed at the impossible, make-work task they were given to get them out of the way. (What will the leadership do when they bring back the books?) (Do the books exist???)

I think you and the players have done a really good job setting up party cohesion, with strong and interesting interpersonal relationships to build on. I'm really curious to see how everyone will react to learning about the Red Hand.

My strongest advice, the thing I wish I would have done most differently if I could go back and change anything about how I ran this campaign: take your time. Let things develop at their own pace - and in their own direction. Don't rush the big story beats, you'll get there when you get there. And think about how much more interesting it will be if you don't!
    My Red Hand of Doom campaign journal: Part I, Part II
    Love the Third Amendment?

3. - Top - End - #3

RedWizardGuy

I figure that the Wizard of Peχavn is in fact very real, and the books are in the Vale. I think what I want to do is have Salen be able to find them sometime during the middle of the campaign: once they are deep into it, but before the climactic battle, and see what he does with that? Maybe they were in Rhest, and are in Regiarix's horde? Or maybe they've fallen into the clutches of the Ghostlord? (I figure the alliance with the Ghostlord, by the way, is what has gotten Wee Jas paying enough attention to have sent Salen a vision.)
    Last edited by msully4321; 2018-09-12 at 08:29 PM. Reason: grammar

4. - Top - End - #4

RedWizardGuy

Meeting up at 7, we spent about half an hour finishing up character details, tweaking things, wasting time. I then had everybody give a character introduction (during which I let them all talk longer than I should have; we spent longer on this than we needed to).

I told the party that I don't normally run published adventurers, and obviously the adventure was written with some assumptions about what the party would do. I suggested that they don't worry about that too much: engage with the fiction, but don't look for rails. Just do what you think makes sense, and I'll make it work, even if it isn't what James Jacobs and Richard Baker expected you to do.

Spoiler
    Show

Then we dived in, with the mauruder ambush along the Dawn Road. The party all made their Perception checks, so everybody got to go in the opening round. About half of those were dead before any of the others came out. Zehra had no ranged weapons, so asked to hop on her horses's back and from their to the embankment. Made an athletics check, no sweat, though the (intelligent, talking) horse wasn't thrilled about it. Salen also climbed up the embankment and dropped a Spirit Guardians, which I think killed some hobgoblins. Then the cleric came out and dropped a spiritual weapon and toll the dead. I decided the cleric had spent the previous round casting bless, and then I forgot to apply the bless bonus literally every single round.

Cora, Aideen, and Hoss stayed down in the road taking shots at hobgoblins regulars. Salen moved up to hit the cleric with the spirit guardians, but then one hell hound ran up and breathed on Salen and Zehra. Next, the bladebearer moved came out of the farmhouse, and just barely had enough movement to make it to connect with Salen for three hits, dropping him. The other hell hound ran into the round and engaged the characters still there. Then, with the cleric on the ground bleeding out, and 15 points of lay on hands to spend, Zehra decided to roar to try to scare the enemies: unfortunately, the bladebearer made his save, which would make the rest of this a lot harder.

Zehra took a bunch more damage as the party in the road finished off the hell hound and climbed up the ravine, then laid on hands Salen, who healed himself and moved out of the line of fire. Things were looking pretty in control when the hobgoblinc cleric rolled a nat 20 to inflict critical wounds on Salen, who was quickly back down. Then the Bladebearer brought down Zehra, and the situation was dire. Next round he moved into range of Aideen and brought her down also, so it was 2 PCs up and 3 NPCs of consequence, and I was genuinely worried I was about to wipe the party on the opening encounter.

(At some point in that process, 6 more hobgoblins starting coming in from the south, only to get all removed in a single fireball, which was basically their job.)

Fortunately for everyone the hell hound was having garbage luck and being pretty ineffective. Cora and Hoss, after everybody else was down, spent a round of two fighting and killing the hell hound , before Hoss ran over to Aideen and fed her a potion. Then Cora finally killed the bladebearer, describing her killing blow as "elegant", in response to the bladebearer's showiness. Aideen ran over to her old friend Zehra, fed her a potion, and then killed the doom fist cleric with a quickened scorching ray.

The hogboblin regular who had been ineffectively taking potshots with a longbow from the other side of the road decided he wasn't getting paid enough for this, and peaced out, and the fight was over.

Then it was searching the corpses, finding the bodies of the travellers killed on the road, snagging a bunch of gold, and heading to town, bruised, haggared, and covered in blood.

After a bit of racial profiling, the head guard at the watchpost, Sergeant Hersk, was ready to let them in, but decided to ask about why they were covered in blood. They told him, he talked about hobgoblin raids on the city. Asking for places to say he said the main options were The Old Bridge Inn and the Green Apple, and he preferred the Old Bridge. The party decided that the Old Bridge must be a tourist trap and bee-lined for the Green Apple. Alright then.

Zehra and some of the others met Delora Zann, a former adventurer turned livery stable owner and town councilwoman, when stabling Zehra's horse, and Cora Sandhill went over to the Old Bridge to chat with the other halfings (her cousin's wife's brother moved up to Drellin's Ferry a while back, maybe someone knows him?). An unusually large amount of time was dedicated to the party figuring out the best way to take a bath.

As they got ready for bed, Norro Winston the Town Speaker showed up, offering to hire them to drive away the goblin menace. Hoss wanted to sleep before negotiating, but Winston was insistent. Some discussion of the details ensued, and the party agreed, without even trying to negotiate the price up!

Next session will see them travelling into the Witch Wood, to explore Vraath Keep and try to drive out the hobgoblin menace. But of course, they will discover that things are much more dire than anybody could belive.

Observations and miscellany:

Spoiler
    Show

- Tuning encounter difficulty is going to be tricky. This fight was sharper that I had hoped, and could have easily gone much worse.

- Everybody had a pretty good chance to show off, except for Salen, who spent most of the fight dying. I think Salen learned an important lesson about positioning himself in the presense of incomplete information.

- Aideen nailed a hell hound with a scorching ray, only to realize it was immune to fire. Aideen is nearly entirely ineffective against enemies with fire resistance, having basically just chromatic orb to cast.

- Cora, whose player is a mechanical engineer, is very upset that Drellin's Ferry hasn't repaired the old dwarf bridge, since the pilings are still in place and that is the hard part. When she complained about it to Norro Winston, he told her that if he had two more like her on the Town Council, he'd have it rebuilt years ago, but now isn't the time for petty local politics.

- ... "which wood?"

- When Cora killed the first Hell Hound, I said: "I've been at this for about a decade and don't usually change my style much, but I've been watching Critical Role recently and liked what Matt Mercer does when a nontrivial enemy is killed, so... how do you want to do this?"

- Cora got three of the four major kills in this fight.

- Zehra has 16 charisma but deliberately only has proficiency in intimidate, not persuasion or deception. "I'm not here to make friends" - her, probably.

- Sorrana (I think): "What brings you to Drellin's Ferry?"
    Zehra: "Our business is our own."
    Cora: "We're going to explore Vraath Keep"
    Zehra: "And her's, apparently."

- The 5e adapation described the cleric as having a "Dragonscourge", doing 2d4 damage. I wasn't really sure what that was supposed to be, so I described it as a flail with an end shaped like a dragon head. Zehra took it, but the player is waffling on whether to use it, because he already ordered a custom mini that wields an axe :P

- Apparently Cora's backstory slightly changed, and actually her clan was mostly killed by raiders or something. More orphans!

- I had been fighting off a cold all week, and I think the four hours spent standing up talking might have tipped the balance.

- I wrote up more detail about the fight than the stuff in Drellin's Ferry, which I think might be backwards, but the post is already super long and I am tired of writing.

- Hoss's player is super nervous about part survivability after the near-run thing in the first battle. From my perspective the two things that got them in trouble were letting the party get divided up in a way that they couldn't focus fire, and the cleric getting in a position to go down easy.

- Play was pretty slow, as people get used to their new characters and abilities. Hopefully things will speed up a bit, though I know from long experience that they never speed up as much as I wish they would. Session took about 4 hours.

I'm super excited to dive into the Witchwood, but I'm not sure when we'll be playing next. Aideen's player is travelling for the next two weeks (though she might be able to Skype in next week) and Cora's player is travelling the week after that. We've got five players, and in general I'm willing to run a player down, but not in the first act like this. I want every single person there when they learn about the Red Hand.
    Last edited by msully4321; 2018-09-14 at 03:33 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Count me extremely interested in this; I recently picked up RHoD myself, and am considering running a war plot in my home game starting around 5th level. RHoD seems great at this, and I'm hyped to see your opinions on how legendary dragon encounters play out.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Eager to read more.
    Take your time and post when you can.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Vaz approval for the best backstory. Villainous Competition 16: Burn Baby Burn
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=114

Honorable Mention Villainous Competition 22: I Am The Night
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...e-Night!/page6 Xihu Ayame

Click my Vulpix to feed it yummy berries!

7. - Top - End - #7

RedWizardGuy

Thanks for the encouragement!

Scheduling and plans
    The second session is scheduled for Wednesday, October 10, after deciding that trying to have players VC in is probably not worth the hassle and trouble some frustrating attempts to schedule a game for this upcoming week. The basic upshot of all of this is that if this game is going to be able to run at all regularly, the quorum needs to be 4 players + me.

But I think that everybody needs to be there when they properly discover the threat that the Red Hand poses to the Vale. This means that my top priority for the next session is to make sure that happens.

There probably isn't enough time for the party to deal with the hydra, meet Jorr, and clear out Vraath Keep in one session starting at 7:30 PM on a weekday, which means making the information available in some other way.

The party fortunately recognizes the need to gather intelligence, and Zehra's player suggested that the party try to bait out an ambush on the road by pretending to be a merchant convoy. If they do that, then no sweat: their plan works and they get ambushed by some more raiders they can interrogate. If they don't end up doing that, then they'll have a random encounter with some goblin wolf rider scouts. It's on the random encounter table and everything!

This sort of planning, and the trick of having the approximately same thing happen no matter what the party does is not my normal style, and I don't like doing it. Especially because I expect several of the players to read this campaign journal once the campaign wraps up and maybe feel pretty cheated if they had a clever plan and it turned out that just blundering into the Witchwood would have served just as well! But the scheduling situation is extremely dire if I'm insisting that everybody can make it (to the point where it honestly wouldn't be worth even trying to continue the game at all), so it really is just critically important that I get the game to a narrative point where I'm comfortable about players missing sessions.

If they interrogate somebody, my plan is to directly lift a line from kjones' game, with a hobgoblin telling the party about "the hand that comes in the night and smothers the babe in his cradle. It is the scourge that will scour the Vale, leaving behind nothing but destruction."

A question
    This is mostly a question for people familiar with Red Hand of Doom:
    Something I am nervous about is the transition between chapter I and II, and providing a good reason for the party to go check out the Blackfens/Rhest other than "there is a barricade to the North". Having someone explicitly suggest they recruit the Tiri Kitor elves could be good, though it would also be kind of cool if the Tiri Kitor showing up on owlback is sort of a surprise?

When I played in the game, we apparently headed north after destroying the blockade just based on the indications on horde's map that they had someone in the swamp, probably combined with a little bit of metagamey "looking for rails"?
    When I GMd this last, I just railroaded pretty hard and basically just told the party they headed north after destroying the barricades---this is deeply contrary to my normal GMing style and I feel suitably ashamed of it, but the campaign was on a pretty tight schedule and I didn't have anything good for it.

Like I told the party, I'm fine if they don't follow the module's intended path---but I'd like it to be because they've found something that they think would be better to do, and not just because I haven't given them enough information about why something might be important (which the adventure doesn't do about going to Rhest).

One post I read suggested trying to recruit a specific wizard who lived as a hermit in the Blackfens (who had since died), but that seems like the party would just cast Sending (which is only 3rd level in 5e) and give up when they get no response without trudging into the swamp?

Anybody have good ideas about this?
    Last edited by msully4321; 2018-09-30 at 01:17 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by msully4321 View Post
    Especially because I expect several of the players to read this campaign journal once the campaign wraps up and maybe feel pretty cheated if they had a clever plan and it turned out that just blundering into the Witchwood would have served just as well!
    The timer has started on the adventure. It's a 65-day schedule, and their plan attracts an ambush on day 2 or 3, rather than the random Warg encounter on day 5 or 6. That's an extra four days to delay the goblin horde; that is a pretty substantial buffer they just earned with their cleverness.

Quote Originally Posted by msully4321 View Post
    Something I am nervous about is the transition between chapter I and II, and providing a good reason for the party to go check out the Blackfens/Rhest other than "there is a barricade to the North".
    The End of Part 1 summary mentions that players should know that one of the leaders of the army are currently residing in Rhest. It's a question of where that information comes from. If they interrogate a prisoner, then they'll learn from him, perhaps, that the party couldn't stop 'the swampborn horde'. Maybe players who fight the chimera do some autopsies looking for loot, and discover strange, almost-fiendish flesh with rotted swampweed gnawed on by the goat, showing something deeply wrong afoot in the swamps. (Maybe the chimera has indigestion from it during the fight?)

Or, perhaps, they hear tell of a certain dragon that a certain lord has history with—one they'd need to slay in its swamp before there was a chance of it joining with the horde. Maybe even convince it to help slay the goblins coming to invade its lair. Nothing could make this fight more winnable than an allied dragon of the party's own.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

In case you haven't seen it, this may be a helpful resource. Of course, it is for 3.5 edition.
    The Master Specialist Handbook
    Truly Complete List of 3.5e Base Classes
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    are you asking us to do research into a setting you wrote yourself?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    DMG 3.5e page 41:
    "If a player behaves in a way you don't want them to behave, talk to them about it. If they continue, stop playing with them. "
    By RAW, you have to stop playing with the guy.

10. - Top - End - #10

RedWizardGuy

Rereading my last post, I realized it was maybe written assuming too much knowledge about the adventure, which I'll try to do less of in the future.

We finally were able to schedule and play a session! We actually played two Wednesdays ago (the 10th), but I've been swamped since then and this took a while to get out.

I scheduled it at for 7 but an accident caused some terrible traffic and meant that the last players didn't arrive until around 7:40.

Recap:
    Spoiler
    Show

Last session saw the party arriving---battered but unbroken---in the frontier town of Drellin's Ferry, where they were hired by the Town Speaker Norro Winston to investigate and drive off the hobgoblin threat in the Witchwood.

Before setting out, the sorcerer Aideen stopped by the local general store to buy some more potions, and the friendly-seeming shopkeeper, Jarrett Nurth, gave her one free potion if she bought three, since she was doing good work for the town. Unbeknownst to the party, though, Nurth is a secret devotee of Erynthul, the god of slaughter, and the free potion is actually just poison. They're gonna be mad about that one.

Both Norro Winston and the retired adventurer Delora Zann had suggested the party seek out Jorr Natherton in the Witch Wood as a guide, but first they decided to go chat with the druid they had heard lived near town, Averthal. They found Averthal meditating in his grove, and asked for guidance on traveling into the Witch Wood, only to be told that Averthal focuses on "tending to the outskirts, to the liminal spaces between man and nature", and had not actually spent much time, as such, in the Witchwood itself (prompting (I think) Cora's player to exclaim "this guy is the worst"). They did find from him that many animals had fled monsters in the Witch Wood, and they set off, on the side trail they were told led to Jorr's.

After about three hours of hiking along a single-track game path through the Witch Wood, the party came upon a cabin up along a lake shore, which they figured was Jorr's. Three large dogs immediately burst out from underneath the cabin and ran at the party, prompting Aideen to use Create Bonfire to place a fire in between them and the dogs. This worked to stop them---though so would have doing nothing: the dogs were well-trained. Jorr then came out of his cabin and---in the best Clint Eastwood "get off my lawn" voice I could manage, asked "what are you doing in my woods?"

They told him that they were sent by Norro Winston to drive the goblins out, and fortunately for them it turned out that Jorr *really* hates goblins, so he is easy to hire as a scout (though Hoss grumbled some about Jorr muscling in on his turf! Ain't he a good enough scout?) . Aideen is somewhat more interested in befriending Jorr's dogs (who I named Bowser, Hey You, and Fido) and insists that at least one dog accompany them.

The party (I think Hoss?) asked specifically if there was a back route to Vraath Keep that avoids the Dawn Road. I looked at the map for a second, and Jorr told them that there was---but the catch was it would be a good 10 miles out of the way. They wouldn't be able to make it to Vraath Keep until the next day. I was thrilled about this because it burns time off the calendar and let them detour around the Hydra encounter and get to Vraath Keep quicker.

So the party departs with Jorr, takes a long loop through the Witch Wood, and eventually reaches Vraath Keep.

The discussion then turned to how to scout out Vraath Keep. Cora and Hoss wanted to scout out ahead, while Zehra strongly objected to splitting the party. Aideen suggested sending Zehra's (intelligent, talking) horse ahead alone to create a distraction, which prompted something of an argument, which was only stopped by the horse interjecting ("I am *right* here"). During the argument, Cora and Hoss slipped off to scout. ("That's fair", said Zehra's player.)

---

Scouting ahead, they find, up on a hill near the crossroads of the trail they were on and the Dawn Way, Vraath Keep, a small and dilapidated stone fort, with a dirt path up to a broken front gate and a large broken gap in a side wall accessible by scrambling up a forested hillside. There were no obvious signs of occupancy from a distance, save a manticore occasionally seen circling above.

The party regrouped and decided that the best route of attack was straight through the hole in the side wall, since it left them exposed for the least amount of time. They successfully snuck up to the wall---because the hobgoblins in the Keep were *really* not doing their due diligence and hadn't even posted sentries.

Peeking in they couldn't see anything, but they could hear the sound of snoring and some low, unintelligible conversation in Goblin. The party decides to kick in the door and go in swinging. The kicking in the door turns out to be metaphorical, since there was a giant hole in the wall of the barracks---left behind from the battle with the giants several hundred years past. The barracks contained 2 sleeping hobgoblin veterans, 2 veterans playing cards, and a minotaur guarding a door. The party gets the drop on everybody pretty completely, and started focusing fire on the minotaur.

A battle breaks out in the barracks, with the hobgoblins pretty hobbled by two of them needing to get out of bed (and not being in armor!) and two of them failing their saves against Zehra's dragon roar. As soon as he can, Karkilan the minotaur opens the door behind him and goes through it to warn and protect Wyrmlord Koth. Zehra followed him through the door, the minotaur's readied attack bouncing off her armor. Zehra then cleaves viciously into Karkilan, buoyed by Salen's (incredibly good!) Path to the Grave ability, but---to Zehra's great chagrin---Karkilan survived it, only to be brought down by (I think) Salen's spiritual weapon.

Opening the door, though, brought the commander of the fort, Wyrmlord Koth, into the fight, even though he would have preferred to stay out of it and focus on packing up his notes. The 5e adaptation I'm using has Koth as a Hobgoblin Devastator (from Volo's), and they have the fantastic ability to exempt allies from AOE spells. So Koth pulls a little piece of bat guano out of a pouch, sniffs it, and launches a fireball into the barracks. He then bellows at the top of his lungs for the "worthless manticore" to come "do something useful", and runs up the staircase to the upper level of the tower.

The fight down in the barracks then gets a lot nastier, as two goblins riding worgs come out of the stables on the far side of the fort, and the manticore comes out to provide some air cover. (But, Jorr, who is "covering their backs" at the entrance (since he wasn't very strong and I didn't want to deal with him much), immediately nails the manticore *twice*, including one crit!).

Zehra's turn comes around, and her player asks "OK quick vote, should I follow him up the stairs?". I interrupt him and say "No time for a vote. What do you do?" Zehra charges up the stairs but comes up short of Koth, so casts Command on him, but he makes his save. Koth then pulls out a small glass rod, rubs it on his fur, and blasts Zehra with a lightning bolt. Zehra lays on hands herself. Koth pauses for a moment, trying to decide whether to attack again or run, and Zehra tells Koth that she will destroy him. Koth makes up his mind and blasts her again, and she retreats back down the stairs with 2 HP, while Koth uses his last 3rd+ level slot to cast fly, drops out the window, drinks of potion of invisibility, and leaves.

Meanwhile a pretty brutal fight is going on downstairs. I've forgotten a bunch of details, but Aideen was pretty badly injured by the manticore and the goblin worg rider, and knocked down by the worg. So she triggered her phoenix mantle ability, which sets herself on fire, and kills the worg and nearly kills the rider with a burning hands. The rider then gets himself killed by fire damage attacking her. The party mops up the hobgoblins, the manticore decides to flee but is brought down by a fire bolt, and the remaining worg rider decides it is time to go.

---

The first order of business was quickly making sure the premises were cleared, before any buffs wore off. That complete, the party set out to do a proper search. The base of the tower attached to the barracks---Koth's bedroom, was filled with papers that Koth did not have time to collect, but they were written in Abyssal, so no dice. Cora searches around and finds a trap door to a vault, where they find the body of Amery Vrath, and a number of locked chests. Cora picked two of them, and Aideen destroyed one of them with some clever magic idea that I've forgotten, giving the party a whole bunch of loot detailed under miscellany.

Further exploring the keep, the party finds a room with a a huge map pinned to a table, and I give them a handout for the map. It is a slightly inaccurate map of the Vale, covered with markings in Goblin detailing timetables and routes.

Zehra looks at it and says "there is an army coming."

The party then goes to interrogate the surviving hobgoblin soldier. Zehra nails an intimidate role, and he starts spilling, though he's cocky at first.
    Hobgoblin: "The Red Hand is the hand that comes in the night and smothers the babe in his cradle. It is the scourge that will scour the Vale, leaving behind nothing but destruction."
    Cora: "So it's an army."
    Hobgoblin: "... yeah."
    He spilled details about the timetable (the army departs on day 7) and numbers (thousands of hobgoblins, with a few dragons and a lot of monsters).
    Zehra asks "if I told you that it was the only way you would get out of here alive, what information would you have for me?" The hobgoblin asks if Zehra is telling him that, and I ask for a deception roll, since Zehra didn't seem like the sort to take prisoners if it was going to be a big hassle. Zehra hits the roll, and the hobgoblin reveals that the dragon Ozyrandian is holding the Skull Gorge Bridge until the Hand passes.

Then the question came of what to actually do with the prisoner. Hoss pointedly left the room. Cora opined something along the lines of "This is a war, right? And he's a prisoner. We can't just kill him. That's a war crime or something." Zehra told her "You're going to be disappointed then." The hobgoblin, figuring a desperate shot was better than nothing, made a break for the door and got immediately felled by an arrow from Jorr.

It was getting late, but I asked for quick ideas about what their plans were, and the leading idea, proposed but Zehra, was to send Jorr back to Drellin's Ferry to warn them while they go and destroy Skull Gorge Bridge.

Should be fun!

Miscellany:
    Spoiler
    Show

- "Which wood?" "The witch wood." "Can we stop this bit?"

- Zehra and Aideen took a watch shift together, and I asked what they talked about. Zehra said "how we will murder Jorr if he betrays us", which, all right.

- Cora was again annoyed about the ferry (and lack of a bridge) when they had to pay to cross. I described the other passengers, which included a cart of produce. Her player, thinking of Avatar: The Last Airbender, suggested it should be carrying cabbages. In the middle of a rewatch myself, I enthusiastically said yes.

- I warned the party that complaining about transit infrastructure is a great way to tempt me into letting the game become Logistics and Dragons :P.

- Lots of loot in Vraath Keep. I gave them:
    - 2000gp
    - 120pp
    - Three notes of credit for a -lot- of money, expired for a century
    - Deed to Vraath Keep, deeded to "the bearer"
    - 6 250gp art objects
    - Staff of Life, with 3.5 style rules, with 7 charges (5/resurrection, 1/heal)
    - Rope of Climbing
    - +1 Rapier ("Æquitas")
    - 10 +1 arrows
    - 5 +1 Fire Arrow (1d6)
    - 5 +1 Ice Arrows (1d4 and 13DC con or -10 to movement)
    - Huge +1 spiked gauntlet

Observations:
    Spoiler
    Show

- A lot of the details of the fight I forgot between the session and actually writing this up. >_>

- Timing in this game is rough. My traditional time slot for games was always 6 PM on Saturdays, which is both earlier and has a lot more flexibility to run late than on Wednesday nights. We ran until 11:30 for this game, which is honestly not bad for me (I usually work around 10-6 with basically no commute), but is rough for many of my players.

- I was kind of happy that I rolled no random encounters and the party avoided the hydra, since it meant getting to Vraath Keep and clearing it this session, which I didn't really expect to do. But I'm torn about this---obviously I could have just decided to cut those encounters, but I don't *want* the campaign to just be the big RHoD set pieces.

- Aideen tried to convince him Jorr to work for less than he quotes them ("5 gold a day, 10 if we go anywhere dangerous"), but rest of the party said not to bother. (And Jorr said it was already the friends rate, since he hates goblins so much.)

- I've been happy with most of the players' RP, who have been doing a pretty good job finding their characters. I wish I was doing a better job in this journal making that come out.

- Salen is a little quiet. I should try to find a way to get him some spotlight.

- Zehra (the character) is I think a little frustrated at her lack of killing blows on significant opponents.

- My second ever PC killed while I GMd was inflicted by Karkilan, the Vraath Keep minotaur, but he was approximately irrelevant in this fight.

- Koth could have probably snuck into the map room and stolen the map after he made his escape from the tower, or at least set it on fire to keep the party from getting it. IRL a big reason he didn't is because I forget where the map was, but I guess in universe he's a bit of a coward.

- I wasn't surprised by the party killing the hobgoblin captive. I'm pleased that it caused some arguing---I love intra-party disagreements.

- I'm trying to decide if I should award the party enough XP to level before the next session. They are probably hitting Skull Gorge next session, and the extra level would be good. I know my party was 6 before Skull Gorge, but we also had two encounter in between the ambush and Vraath Keep.

- Maybe it was because it was getting so late, but I had hoped for more of an impact on the party of the Red Hand's arrival. They were pretty down to business about it.

We didn't have a game this most recent week because Hoss's player and I were out of town seeing the Ph.D. thesis defenses of two friends (and former players!) of mine. We'll be playing this Wednesday, though we'll be missing Hoss.
    Last edited by msully4321; 2018-10-24 at 10:17 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

...I'm glad that the Ghostlord no longer takes damage from Heal, but that Staff of Life is going to make them unkillable when it counts, even if it doesn't recharge.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    ...I'm glad that the Ghostlord no longer takes damage from Heal, but that Staff of Life is going to make them unkillable when it counts, even if it doesn't recharge.
    I'm not too worried about it, I think. I expect 5 of the charges will probably go to a resurrection, and so that only leaves 2 heals for clutch moments.

The party destroyed Skull Gorge Bridge tonight! Details to come.

13. - Top - End - #13

RedWizardGuy

Sorry for the delay! Shortly after my last session, tech week started for a production of "All The Way" I am the light board operator for at a local community theatre and that's been taking up a huge amount of my time. I actually *just* finished running session 4, and hopefully will have that post up sooner than two weeks from now

I need to start writing this faster after sessions, since I forget a lot, though I'm not totally sure it is going to happen during the next week or two.

Hoss's player was in France or something, so as part of my new quorum policy, we had Zehra's player drive him for the session.

Spoiler
    Show

Action picked up just after Jorr had killed the hobgoblin prisonor, with the party planning what to do next. Zehra felt strongly that the best move was to destroy Skull Gorge Bridge, and managed to carry the day, despite some misgivings that the party might not be able to handle a dragon. The party was curious how the party would fair against a dragon.

I let Zehra make a knowledge roll with advantage; she had grown up in a dragonborn kingdom, after all. Answer: a wyrmling green dragon is no threat to you, an adult green dragon an insurmountable one. A young one, on the other hand, would be the toughest fight you've ever had, but...

They decide that's worth at least scoping out, and resolve to head Skull Gorge Bridge, sending Jorr back to town with a warning of what is coming. The bridge was 19 miles away, meaning they needed to rest at least once on the way. They wisely decided to do that early, to recover from the fight.

They camped without incident and then moved on down the dawn way. About 7 or 8 miles in, Cora hears the sound of something scraping bark from a tree. Peeking around a bend in the trail, she is treated to the somewhat unpleasant image of two mating owlbears. ("Was that *really* on the random encounter table?" "Well, '1d2 owlbears' was.")

The party decides that the best bet is to avoid them. This unfortunately costs them about an hour of bushwhacking around the path, though that was not too bad a price for avoiding a random encounter fight, and in any case Hoss is a pretty good bushwhacker.

The party made it up near Skull Gorge bridge, and Cora snuck up to scout it out. She sees a long stone bridge with two guard towers at each end and an encampment at the far side. An archer was visible at the top of each tower. A hell hound waited at each end of the bridge, and a young green dragon sat perched atop a tower. (Unseen from here, 4 more hobgoblin veterans and a hobgoblin captain wait in the tents.)

With the intel in hand, they set to trying to come up with a plan. They considered some sort of flanking maneuver, but decided it wouldn't help much and they would have trouble crossing anyways. They considered trying to draw the defenders into the forest and fighting them there (which wouldn't have worked; they defenders would have held position). They then really seriously considered the most-likely-to-lead-to-a-TPK plan I've ever heard as a GM, which was to charge up, force their way into one of the guard towers, and then kill all the bridge defenders as they try to retake the tower.

They ended up deciding against that---I can't remember exactly why, but it was for some reason other than "we will get trapped in the tower where we can be killed at the dragon's leisure by his breath weapon," and settling on the more straightforward plan of running in and brawling outrageous. Ranged combatants held back a bit, while Zehra charged right ahead.

Zehra fought with the hell hound, which dropped relatively quickly, while the rest of the party fired at the hell hound and archers. Ozyrandian, the dragon, launched from his resting place and curved around to engage the party---a somewhat hokey meta strategy to ensure that he wouldn't come into easy range until the turn he attacked.

Ozy closed in and dropped a poison gas cloud, which immediately dropped Salen and Aideen and badly hurt Cora. Cora went and poured a potion down Salen's throat, and then Aideen's player realized that she had forgotten to add her prof bonus to her save. Oops. I was nice about it, and things looked a lot less dire.

I've forgotten some of the details of the battle, but the hell hound dropped quickly, and people kept loading damage onto Ozy. Zehra started crossing the bridge, only to have Ozyrandian swoop down and attack with a bite, a claw, and---most frighteningly---a shove. Fortunately for Zehra, she managed to keep on her feet, but was pretty spooked and braved an attack of opportunity to finish crossing the bridge.

At this point, Ozy was pretty spooked, so he retreated, drank a potion of invisibility, and then a healing potion or two, while Zehra single-handedly bottlenecked 5 hobgoblins on the bridge and the rest of the party exchanged fire with archers. Of course, Ozy wasn't going anywhere quite yet, and invisibly crossed the gorge again to drop another breath weapon. Visible again, and still relatively badly hurt, Ozyrandian was quickly felled by the concentrated fire of the bulk of the party, while Zehra prevented any hobgoblins from closing in to cause trouble.

After that it was all mop-up work. The party searched the bodies and the encampment, and then Aideen lit all the buildings on fire. This was not a good idea---the smoke would be visible from Cinder Hill---and I should have had a response team of manticores arrive before they finished the job of destroying the bridge. But I didn't, and, taking turns with a pick-axe, the party managed to do enough damage to the bridge that it catastrophically failed.

But not before Zehra left a note, in draconic, reading: "<3 Zehra and the Blue Hand Group".

Miscellany:
    Spoiler
    Show

* Aideen: "I feel like this is a dumb plan."
    Hoss (via Zehra's player): "There's no plan. It can't be dumb yet."

* Aideen: "Zehra should go prone so she can't get shoved off."
    Me: "That sounds like an Aideen plan, not a Zehra plan."

Observations
    Spoiler
    Show

* I suggested they come up with a party name a few weeks ago. The "Blue Hand Group", Aideen's suggestion, was what they settled. Zehra suggested a bunch of names that all began with "Zehra's", which was a nonstarter for most of the party.

* So far every day has been a one encounter day.

* Zehra's player mentioned that he figured that destroying the bridge would slow the Red Hand down by several weeks, since armies are hard to move. He was disappointed when I said it would probably only be a few days. He isn't necessarily wrong, but they don't need to go *that* far out of their way, and probably already had a contingency plan for it? In any case, the module calls for a three day delay and the timeline is already likely to be pretty generous.

* They never seriously considered any covert approaches to destroying the bridge. The last time I GMd this, the party druid wild-shaped into a bird and then used a scroll of Stone Shape that they had purchased in town to destroy the bridge (or something like that). That wouldn't have worked directly here, but maybe something could have been come up with.

* Spending an hour trying to make a plan and then launching a frontal assault is basically what Imsril & co. did when I played in kjones' game a decade ago.

* Aideen's player has been a little disappointed with how Aideen has been performing. I think some of that is spell selection, with Aideen being a bit of a one trick pony, though a bunch of it is just straight up terrible dice luck. I told her that she should feel free to respec a bit. (My general philosophy is to let players respec characters as long as it isn't done for tactical ("I know we are going to fight undead soon so I'm going to change a spell to...") or strategic ("Play a Land Druid until level 5 then respec to Moon") reasons.)

14. - Top - End - #14

RedWizardGuy

We met up the other night for session number 4. I had thought that we had a full crew for it, but found out as people were trickling in that Aideen's player couldn't make it and Zehra's player would be covering for her.

(Hoss's player asked "So, you're all-time QB?")

Recap:
    Spoiler
    Show

We picked up right where we left off last time, late in the afternoon of July 4, after the party had destroyed Skull Gorge bridge. Injured and low on resources, they bushwhacked a half mile into the woods and made camp for the night, which passed without incident.

The first order of business in the morning was figuring out the route the party was taking. Hoss pointed out that he has a class feature that means he can lead a party through his favored terrain without ever getting lost and can ignore difficult terrain. Which, damn, they can just cut a straight line across the forest?

I said that this would probably triple their chance of random encounter or so, which was kind of because I wanted them to go past the giant territorial marker effigy. I had forgotten to mention it when they went past it the last time, and I wanted them to get the chance to meet Old Warkelgnaw the forest giant. I feel kind of bad about how I handled this.

So the party decides to follow the road, largely because Zehra kind of just doesn't believe that it wouldn't be slower to cut through the woods. They also decide to march as quickly as they can: a fast march could get them back the 33 miles to town (with just a little forced march) in one day. After a few miles, they come across a giant-sized effigy. Cora's player wants to know if it looks like a shrine---no. Hoss's player asks how long ago the battle with the giants was---150 years, but giants can live to 200. Despite that, the party decides they don't have any time to investigate, though Hoss makes a note to come back later some day. Of course, Old Warkelgnaw will be long dead by then---he's sick and won't survive another winter, and will make sure to go out in a blaze of glory.

Feeling that the most important thing was to get back to town as quickly as possible, they decide to move quickly--allowing them to cover 30mi/day but with a -5 penalty to passive perception checks. That is a pretty nasty penalty, and directly leads to a Girallon getting the drop on the party. It drops out of the trees and surprises the party, viciously tearing into Cora with a bite attack and four (!) claw attacks, almost dropping her. Unfortunately for the Girallon, she beat him in the initiative order and was able to fall back, so he didn't have a chance to finish her off and carry her away as dinner. The party blasts away at the girallon for a couple rounds before it escapes into the woods with 2 HP (and I discover that at least one player wasn't familiar with the Disengage action! oops.).

Continuing to move on, after a couple more hours, the party entered a swampy section of flooded forest crossed by a wooden causeway. A hydra lurked under an overturned wagon, but it rolled true garbage on its Stealth roll and so even with a -5 penalty, Cora easily spotted it. I described her seeing two hydra heads poking out of the water, one looking at her, and then the heads quickly darting underwater. The party decided that they did *not* have time for this, and so backtracked, cutting along the path of a creek and returning to the Witch Trail that they original took into the forest, getting back to town after a short forced march pushed them the last few miles.

---------------

When they get into sight of town, they spot watchtowers being built on the eastern bank of the Elsir River. "That's good," says Cora, but Zehra disagrees: "It's not. They need to be evacuating." "At least they're doing *something*."

The party heads straight for Town Speaker Norro Winston's house, who quickly makes time to see them. He heard Jorr's report, but he is still skeptical that there are really *thousands* of hobgoblins coming.
    He is overwhelmed, and the party tries to convince him that the only choice is to evacuate:
    Hoss tells him: "I don't know how many hobgoblins it is going to take to sack this town, but I know how many they are going to use."
    Norro remains skeptical, though: *do* they really know how many are coming? "It could be much fewer! All we have is the word of a hobgoblin you tortured." "We didn't torture him." "... nevertheless."

Norro still holds out some hope for fighting, but Cora (I think) points out that there aren't any walls in the city. Norro says the could build some, but they would be be wooden palisades.

In the middle of the meeting, Hoss's player looks up at me and says "Dude, Sully, this is really dark." Yeah, man, it is.

In the end, the Speaker says that a final decision needs to wait for a town council meeting tomorrow, the councile being him, captain of the guard Sorranah Anita, Delora Zann, proprietor of the Old Bridge Inn Kellin Shadowbanks, and Iormel, a wealthy landowner who they don't know.

--

Next up, the party goes to speak with "that retired adventurer", Delora Zann. They walk in and Zehra says "There's a hobgoblin army coming to destroy the town.", and Delora, to their relief, tells them "Yeah, Jorr already told me. We need to evacuate the town. There's nothing defensible between here and Brindol, and even the walls there aren't in great shape." The meeting then turned into a discussion of tactics. Delora mentioned that Lord Jarmaath of Brindol would start reinforcing the walls as soon as he found out about the invasion.

Cora asks Delora if she knows Lord Jarmaath. "Do you know him?" "... yes.." "So, uh. Good ex or bad ex?" "We adventured together, some time ago." "... so bad ex." "He was bitten in the rear by a dragon we fought, and I may have given him a hard time about it. I'm sure it will be fine, though."

Delora gave the party a hard time for not getting a first hand report on the size and force disposition of the Red Hand, and they agree to ask Jorr to return to the Witchwood and scout it out. That will take at least three days, though, and they all agree they want the evacuation to be starting before then.

--
    They head back to the Old Bridge Inn and Cora is more than a little disappointed to find that her halfling countryman, Kellin Shadowbanks, isn't convinced about the need to evacuate. He wants to try paying the Danegeld and bribing the Red Hand to leave them alone. Iormel's got plenty of wealth they could expropriate to pay it with, too!

That doesn't lead anywhere useful, and the party turns in for the night.

--

Fortunately, Salen has had an idea for dealing with the lack of intel! The Divination spell, from the cleric spell list, should let him ask his god for information about the army that is attacking. The only catch is it is a level too high for him to cast, but they manage to buy a scroll of it from Sertieren the Wise, who normally doesn't have cleric spells but managed to pick one up in a firesale.

The spell components are incense and a sacrifice. Wee Jas is a death god, so Salen figures an animal sacrifice is the way to go. He says he spends 25gp on a goat, and I tell him that goats are way cheaper than that. But the spell component is 25gp of incense and sacrifice combined, so they get 23gp worth of incense. Since it is casting from a scroll at a higher level, he's got to make a spellcasting ability check, which he rolls a one on. So the party sheepishly returns to Sertieren to see if he has anymore, which I kindly say that he does. After purchasing another goat ("Whatever, you don't need a new goat." "No, dude, the goat is gone."), Salen manages to cast the spell, and asks how many hobgoblins, dragons, and minotaurs are in the army about to depart Cinder Hill. Somebody reminds him that he probably means manticores, so he adds that to the list as well.

Three thousand hobgoblins, two dragons, zero minotaurs, twenty-four manticores, ... and twenty-five undead.

Well that seems bad.

(I later had to walk aback the bit about undead and tell them that nothing about undead was said, because the way the question was asked and the seven day timeframe didn't permit that part of the answer. My theory is that Wee Jas doesn't care all that much about the Red Hand but she does care about the Ghostlord, a powerful lich druid who is being coerced into aiding the Red Hand. Hence Salen's visions, and hence adding in the part about undead. Except the undead *aren't* in the army yet.)

--

I resolved the town council meeting without busting out any dice, because I felt like the party was persuasive, and the divinely inspired testimony from Salen was hard to argue with.

Iormel wanted to stand and fight, but that idea was shot down pretty quickly once the size of threat became clear. Kellin argued for a long time with the party about the idea of trying to bribe the horde, which Norro was sympathetic to, but eventually mostly talked out of by the party. A lack of volunteers to be envoy was a major problem with that plan---Kellin certainly wasn't signing up!

In the end, the town council agreed to evacuate the town, though they want to cut it close on the timing, so they can bring in as much of the harvest as they can.

--

They spend the rest of the day, July 6, doing a day trip out into the Witch Wood and tearing up the Dawn Way to make it harder to pass. I'm not sure if one day spent doing with with just 5 people is enough to earn the party any Victory Points for the calculation at the end? Maybe a fractional point.

They spend the night in the Old Bridge Inn. Somebody (Cora?) asks if they have comped rooms because they are heroes now. Sure, why not. Partway through the night, though, the part is woken by shouts from the street: "Alarm! Alarm! Goblins attacking the west bank!"

Miscellany:
    Spoiler
    Show

* The party keeps mishearing "Norro" as "Nora".

* One gem from the conversation with Norro:
    Norro: "Ugh, Iormel's gonna say I told you so, but it actually is a good thing that we didn't repair the bridge."
    Cora: "I know. It's the *worst*."
    Zehra: "If you had rebuilt the bridge, we would be tearing it down tomorrow.

* Me: Initiative, 10 9 8--
    Zehra's player: I'm on 9. Zehra's gonna stay on her horse, and..
    Me: Do you know the mounted combat rules?
    Zehra's player: Zehra gets off her horse.

* The party spent a bunch of time trying to figure out how to use Sending to warn Brindol. They feared coming across like a spam email.

* At one point, the party suggested Delora come with them to Brindol, and Delora said that while she wants to evacuate, if the council decides to stay and fight, she will stay too, which led to this interaction with Salen:
    * "You have the word of my god, you can't win this fight."
    * "Nevertheless, I am staying with my town."
    * "Then you will meet her soon."
    * "I've managed to outrun her so far."
    * "She is patient."
    This was *totally* unecessary antagonization of a party ally, but some fantastic creepiness from an acolyte of a death god!

Observations:
    Spoiler
    Show

* I thought this was a great session! I loved the town interactions, I think that everybody is getting a feel for their character and getting some good RP in, and I think it has sunk in how rough everything is.

* I'm a little disappointed that the party didn't get to meet Old Warkelgnaw, since I love doing my Warkelgnaw voice. And convincing Warkelgnaw to help fight the Red Hand would delay them by two days, which is a big help. Maybe I should have been a bit more proactive in pointing out that they recognize the effigy as a territory marker (or called for intelligence checks to do so), but I also want to give them a lot of space to decide what they think is important---which, hopefully, will include some stuff that was not in the module and will need me to do some improv work (which is a huge part of my normal modus operendi when I'm running homebrew games)!

* They are going to be *so mad* to have to sit on the ferry for six minutes as they go to fight the raid on the west bank!

Next session is tomorrow, and so it is now extremely pressing that I figure out what I am going to do about Rhest. I think the lead about the blockades is pretty good as a start, but doesn't give a clear reason to go into the Blackfens?
    Last edited by msully4321; Today at 01:00 AM.