New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Why do Americans put eggs in cookie dough?

Why do Americans put eggs in cookie dough? Every recipe for cookies (biscuits here in NZ) I've ever made has had no eggs, but I've heard Americans talk about not being able to eat cookie dough raw because it contains raw eggs.
    Spoiler: Out-of-context quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...He would have to stay there permanently (without cake, somehow not breathing) for the prophecy to be fulfilled.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    Maybe Blackwing is a Schrödinger's familiar.
    Any given member of the Order needs to do a quantum measurement to see if they remember him

Azurite Name Inspirations
    Rich is a better writer than that!
    Free speech?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Why do Americans put eggs in cookie dough?

They tend to help hold in moisture during the baking process, which makes for a moister cookie. But there are plenty of recipes out there that don't need them.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

3. - Top - End - #3

DwarfFighterGuy

If you want the science, you can read all about it here, including experiments.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/12/...y-cookies.html

Basically, egg whites and yolks do different things. Yolks make it moister and richer, while whites add structure and make it cakier I guess?

You wouldn't use them in a digestive or anything, but they're kind of important for squishier cookies.

4. - Top - End - #4

There's also another thing: it's a mentality about it. IIRC Duncan Hines (or one of the other big-name cake mix makers) put out a cake mix that didn't require eggs - mostly because the mix had the necessary ingredients that it didn't need it. It sold horribly, because people who made cakes were putting in eggs anyways, and it tasted horrible. Other people were wary of a mix that didn't include eggs, so that made sales drop even further.

There are some cake mixes that don't require eggs that are sold in the US, but they're usually the "Cake in a cup" or "Micro-bake brownie" type mixes.
    "Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
    Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
    There's also another thing: it's a mentality about it. IIRC Duncan Hines (or one of the other big-name cake mix makers) put out a cake mix that didn't require eggs - mostly because the mix had the necessary ingredients that it didn't need it. It sold horribly, because people who made cakes were putting in eggs anyways, and it tasted horrible. Other people were wary of a mix that didn't include eggs, so that made sales drop even further.
    I heard it was Betty Crocker, and it made peopel feel like they weren't doing enough cooking, or something. Putting the egg in themselves fixed that.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

There's also a difference between American eggs and many other places in the world, IIRC - American eggs are not commonly pasteurized or irradiated, meaning the interior of the egg is not sterilized, whereas these treatments are standard in many other places around the world. Assuming you crack and extract the insides of the egg cleanly without significant contact between the outside shell and the yolk/white, a pasteurized or irradiated raw egg can be fairly safely consumed. One that did not have that treatment is best cooked before eating, because while the risk is small you can't guarantee the inside isn't contaminated.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

I had heard that it actually wasn't just the raw egg you had to watch out for, but microbes in the flour.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    There's also a difference between American eggs and many other places in the world, IIRC - American eggs are not commonly pasteurized or irradiated, meaning the interior of the egg is not sterilized, whereas these treatments are standard in many other places around the world. Assuming you crack and extract the insides of the egg cleanly without significant contact between the outside shell and the yolk/white, a pasteurized or irradiated raw egg can be fairly safely consumed. One that did not have that treatment is best cooked before eating, because while the risk is small you can't guarantee the inside isn't contaminated.
    I've never heard that other western countries pasteurize eggs, especially as they don't wash them. AFAIK the big difference is that in Europe they don't wash eggs but instead vaccinate the chicken against salmonella, but in the US we don't vaccinate and instead wash and refrigerate the eggs.

The US also requires pasteurization of eggs where they would be consumed uncooked like mayo, egg whites cartons, etc. as well as where they are being sold to kids (public schools).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

No-bake cookies are the only ones that I've regularly seen to have no eggs in the recipe in the US.

Several New Zealand recipes here contain eggs. I do see that the Anzac Biscuits and a couple of the others don't. Might be possible that the soldiers were short on eggs and made do without?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I heard it was Betty Crocker, and it made peopel feel like they weren't doing enough cooking, or something. Putting the egg in themselves fixed that.
    That is the actual story, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralCheez View Post
    I had heard that it actually wasn't just the raw egg you had to watch out for, but microbes in the flour.
    Yeah that made the rounds a while back. Not sure how universal a fear it is. Regardless, the overall message is that foodstuffs that are intended to be cooked before eating do not have the same handling characteristics as those you are supposed to be eat straight from the pack. In the US, we have warning on eggs not to eat them raw (or to do so at ones own risk).

As to why US cookies have eggs in them to begin with, ve4grm has the cooking properties of it.

The simple fact that is that there is infinite variety in the spectrum from out and out cake on one end, all the way to something like the US cracker Wheat Thins (I assume New Zealand has an equivalent) on the other. When we say 'what you call biscuits, we call cookies, and vice versa,' well... that's a shorthand. We probably aren't really talking about the exact same thing, in the same ratio, and with the same moisture/fluffiness/density profiles, etc. I guess those of us in the U.S. like a little more of those qualities egg adds to a baked flour good in what we would call a cookie.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Domino Quartz View Post
    Why do Americans put eggs in cookie dough? Every recipe for cookies (biscuits here in NZ) I've ever made has had no eggs, but I've heard Americans talk about not being able to eat cookie dough raw because it contains raw eggs.
    Egg is a Binder. It's there mostly to give baked goods structure when the rest of the recipe would have it normally be crumbly. The fear is there even if the recipe DOESN'T have raw eggs, because very few people are going to go around checking things so most people just assume the danger is there because it's better to sit on the side of caution than it is to eat raw eggs and get sick.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Adding to this the characteristics you see in American baked goods generally require eggs since they're different in a lot of ways. American cakes and pastries are generally rather moist and thick and a lot of that comes from the egg. I've heard southern style biscuits compared to scones but even scones tend to be lighter and more crumbly than what Americans usually eat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.