New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXV: 4 Pages of Rules, 46 Pages of Pointless Bicke

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Or...You can **** it up. Try an keep people 'hyped' for months after release, whilst also holding a 12-week long event, whilst also releasing Expansion content that completely breaks the game in the middle, that only some people will be able to have access to on the day of release because that's how finances work.
    Actually the timing tells me we have at least 1 more expansion for Kill team coming. For most stores, this is week four, so as you get new cards for the second round commanders drop. Campaign another 4 weeks, unknown 3rd expansion drops, another 4 weeks, and if you've done it right you now have a set time, each week, for people to come to the store and play kill team. establishing "Tuesday night kill team" is the ultimate goal of this kind of event; will it work? depends on the group, store, and playerbase.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

2. - Top - End - #242
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXV: 4 Pages of Rules, 46 Pages of Pointless Bicke

Nurgle Daemons Brigade. How feasible?

I'm okay with 102 points spent on Beasts-I don't expect them to do a ton other than sit backfield on objectives, but they're good at that. But Heavy Support?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post

I'm okay with 102 points spent on Beasts-I don't expect them to do a ton other than sit backfield on objectives, but they're good at that. But Heavy Support?
    Is there a Chaos tag? Because if there is you could grab some CSM tanks

Otherwise, Soul Grinders are a thing
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2018-10-14 at 11:48 AM.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Is there a Chaos tag? Because if there is you could grab some CSM tanks
    Battle Brothers rule.

But I am debating about saying "Screw the Locus" and adding Plagueburst Crawlers, which have the Nurgle faction. But then I lose the strats...

Edit: I know Soul Grinders exist. But I want a good list.

Edit II:

Spoiler: Nurgle Brigade Plus Nurgle Daemons Patrol, 1,976 Points
    Show
    Nurgle Brigade

HQs
    100-Epidemius
    70-Poxbringer with Virulent Blessing
    75-Spoilpox Scrivener with Corruption

Troops
    235-30 Plaguebearers with Icon, Instrument
    235-30 Plaguebearers with Icon, Instrument
    54-3 Nurglings
    54-3 Nurglings
    54-3 Nurglings
    54-3 Nurglings

Elites
    34-Beast of Nurgle
    34-Beast of Nurgle
    34-Beast of Nurgle

Fast Attacks
    127-3 Plague Drones with Icon, Instrument

Heavy Supports
    156-Plagueburst Crawler with Plagueburst Mortar, two Entropy Cannons, Heavy Slugger
    156-Plagueburst Crawler with Plagueburst Mortar, two Entropy Cannons, Heavy Slugger

Total Points

Nurgle Daemons Patrol

HQ
    60-Sloppity Bilepiper

Troop
    54-3 Nurglings

Total points

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1,976 points. Not sure what else to take, honestly, with the last 24 points. Maybe upgrade the Patrol Nurglings to 4 models?

I do want the Nurglings in a Patrol, so they have ObSec. But I'm not sure who to stick HQ-wise in the Patrol. Not Epidemius, but who would be best with the Locus?
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2018-10-14 at 12:15 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

But I want a good list.
    Good lists don't really come out of the Daemons' book. The division of the four Gods made a whole bunch of stuff effectively unusable because not every God has something good in every slot, and Battalions and Brigades are even worse, because every Troops except Horrors is terrible. Chaos Daemons is the <Chaos> equivalent of Adeptus Custodes. You can cherry pick a few units out of the book and slot them into pretty much any Chaos army you want (e.g; Exalted Flamers, Skull Cannons). But if Daemons are going to be your primary source of units in your army, you're going to be in for a bad time unless you exclusively pick out only the best units...That honour pretty much only belongs to Tzeentch...See the aforementioned bit about Horrors.

I'd avoid Nurgle Daemons like the...Umm...Plague. Death Guard is where it's at. You'd even get access to the cheaper Starter stuff.

But then again, something is happening with Slaanesh.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

The Deathwatch rulebook says that one in five intercessors can have an auxillary grenade launcher. Does that include Intercessors who've been upgraded to sargeants?

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    The Deathwatch rulebook says that one in five intercessors can have an auxillary grenade launcher. Does that include Intercessors who've been upgraded to sargeants?
    Did you check the FAQ?
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2018-10-14 at 03:56 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Did you check the FAQ?
    Well clearly I did not

9. - Top - End - #249
    Banned

Just got my list, and no Codex O_O. Whats wrong with GW?

Also, 150$ for SpeedFreaks is way too high imho. I guess its my own missconception after how cost-friendly the 8th launch products were; everything GW puts out these days (tooh & claw, titanicus...) feels overpriced. Although, Renegade was great.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post

Also, 150$ for SpeedFreaks is way too high imho. I guess its my own missconception after how cost-friendly the 8th launch products were; everything GW puts out these days (tooh & claw, titanicus...) feels overpriced. Although, Renegade was great.
    Eh, seems standard. If bought individually we'd be looking at about $90 for the bikes. Assuming the buggies are going to be roughly $50 a pop it looks we're about right for the standard box set discount.

Not sure I really like the race car feel of them......
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    Eh, seems standard. If bought individually we'd be looking at about $90 for the bikes. Assuming the buggies are going to be roughly $50 a pop it looks we're about right for the standard box set discount.

Not sure I really like the race car feel of them......
    And that's how Speed Freaks die. Seriously, Buggies get ran in squadrons of 3 and usually with two squadrons. I'm not dropping 300 bucks for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

These aren't just the same buggies, though, come on.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Banned

Sure, they are new, but I dont think they are a very good investment, if these test stats are anything to go by

14. - Top - End - #254
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

God forbid that the upcoming Ork Codex has changed the unit sizes/configurations in such a way that this box *is* the cost saving way to buy bikes and buggies.... Because we all know that's entirely plausible.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

These aren't just the same buggies, though, come on.
    You're not wrong, but that's bloody expensive if you want to run 6 (and you kinda do). Its the same reason casuals generally don't run the Dragoons in Ad Mech. Its bloody expensive.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #256
    Banned

You're not wrong, but that's bloody expensive if you want to run 6 (and you kinda do). Its the same reason casuals generally don't run the Dragoons in Ad Mech. Its bloody expensive.
    Curiously, T-Vaults are cheaper than knights, and close in points. Considering that a min. Guard Batallion runs you around the same (3x Cadian Shock troopers, 2x Company Commanders) and is like 1/3 of the points, Necrons can be a very cheap army

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

No, you want to run six now. These will have different rules, so you'll probably end up using them differently.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Curiously, T-Vaults are cheaper than knights, and close in points. Considering that a min. Guard Batallion runs you around the same (3x Cadian Shock troopers, 2x Company Commanders) and is like 1/3 of the points, Necrons can be a very cheap army
    That makes no sense. I remember when i started playing in 4th, prices seemed to be based mostly on stats. Better stats, bhigher price. Nowadays it seems nearly random.

No, you want to run six now. These will have different rules, so you'll probably end up using them differently.
    ... why do these things have different rules from normal Buggies? You know, which have a model thats nearly as old as i am??
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2018-10-15 at 06:01 PM.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

That makes no sense. I remember when i started playing in 4th, prices seemed to be based mostly on stats. Better stats, bhigher price. Nowadays it seems nearly random.

... why do these things have different rules from normal Buggies? You know, which have a model thats nearly as old as i am??
    I'm not sure what the sticking point here is. They'll be replacing the old buggies, not adding to them, but they'll have different rules to incorporate the wacky weapons and guns. I imagine the "light fast vehicle" bit will stay the same, but that includes Sentinels, Venoms, Piranhas, and all sorts of things, and you use all of them differently.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure what the sticking point here is. They'll be replacing the old buggies, not adding to them, but they'll have different rules to incorporate the wacky weapons and guns. I imagine the "light fast vehicle" bit will stay the same, but that includes Sentinels, Venoms, Piranhas, and all sorts of things, and you use all of them differently.
    Because they don't need to mess with Buggies cuz they're fine? The models needed to be redone (10 years ago), but as far as points and abilities go, right now Buggies are in a perfectly fine spot. Im mostly worried that GW will put some stupid new gun on that noone cares about (I'm looking at you Bubble Chuka) and for some idiotic reason feel that because of all the "options" they suddenly have available, Buggies will suddenly go up in price and then suck.

Its not like New GW does much else these days but make things suck more.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #261
    Banned

A completely new game with its own rules, the box includes rules for using the two new Ork vehicles in Warhammer 40,000
    That, to me, reads that those are not 'Ork Buggy: the unit', and instead are 'new units with their own name and datasheet, which happen to be buggies'. I dont know enough about Orks to know if thats a good or a bad thing, but at least the squig one was pretty lame. A shooty vehicle with BS5 (4 with the grot, which I assume will cost points), strength: wont wound knights, that cant fight in melee either and that maybe once a game deal a mortal wound? With eldar-like toughness, 4+ save and no inv. Im not sure how is that supposed to hype anyone.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

That, to me, reads that those are not 'Ork Buggy: the unit', and instead are 'new units with their own name and datasheet, which happen to be buggies'. I dont know enough about Orks to know if thats a good or a bad thing, but at least the squig one was pretty lame. A shooty vehicle with BS5 (4 with the grot, which I assume will cost points), strength: wont wound knights, that cant fight in melee either and that maybe once a game deal a mortal wound? With eldar-like toughness, 4+ save and no inv. Im not sure how is that supposed to hype anyone.
    It can't fight in melee? Thats one of the big upsides of the Ork Buggies, they don't suck in melee and running over things you dont like is an option!
    Show

23. - Top - End - #263
    Banned

It can't fight in melee? Thats one of the big upsides of the Ork Buggies, they don't suck in melee and running over things you dont like is an option!
    a handful of WS4 S5 low AP attacks isnt exactly a credible melee threat. What are you going to charge that isnt going to just trash your T6 with no save?

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

a handful of WS4 S5 low AP attacks isnt exactly a credible melee threat. What are you going to charge that isnt going to just trash your T6 with no save?
    Some Guard sitting on a Objective? Preferrably after you've filled them with lead from your Big Shootas. Its worked well enough the few times i've done it.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #265
    Banned

Some Guard sitting on a Objective? Preferrably after you've filled them with lead from your Big Shootas. Its worked well enough the few times i've done it.
    If we are talking fun & friendly, sure, anything works. I still remember when I thought Ork Bikerz were the greatest and Space Wolves were OP.

If we are talking competitive though, Leman Russes blow through the new vehicle as an afterthought. So sure, go charge that guard, you'll blow up when a knight or a proper vehicle passes you by anyways.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

If we are talking fun & friendly, sure, anything works. I still remember when I thought Ork Bikerz were the greatest and Space Wolves were OP.

If we are talking competitive though, Leman Russes blow through the new vehicle as an afterthought. So sure, go charge that guard, you'll blow up when a knight or a proper vehicle passes you by anyways.
    I was talking about what I run over with my normal Buggies, frankly the more i hear of these new ones the more underwhelmed i am.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #267
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'd avoid Nurgle Daemons like the...Umm...Plague. Death Guard is where it's at. You'd even get access to the cheaper Starter stuff.
    Nurgle Daemons are way more competitive than Death Guard right now. Death Guard have a few good units but Nurgle Daemons are probably the most competitive pure chaos faction.

The basic problem with a Nurgle brigade is that Nurgle are best at Plague Bearer Horde and that only works if you operate under the rule that everything that isn't a Plague bearer is holding you back from hitting the critical mass of plague bearers.

Battle Brothers rule.

But I am debating about saying "Screw the Locus" and adding Plagueburst Crawlers, which have the Nurgle faction. But then I lose the strats...

Edit: I know Soul Grinders exist. But I want a good list.
    <mark of chaos> is a faction keyword so you can throw any non-Thousand Sons non-Fabius heretic astartes unit into a nurgle detachment.

I just checked the points cost for Soul Grinders...
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    Nurgle Daemons are way more competitive than Death Guard right now.
    Got any idea what that list looks like?

Death Guard have a few good units
    Death Guard have a lot of good units because Chapter Approved fixed the entire Codex.
    Blightlord Terminators are currently making tournament players poop bricks.

but Nurgle Daemons are probably the most competitive pure chaos faction.
    That's not true at all. Tzeentch is clearly the best Daemons Detachment by a wide margin by way of being the fastest, <Fly> and outputting a ridiculous number of Wounds - some of them Mortal - without even having to cross the board into Melee...Which sucks now because Ruins are far too strong.
    Tzeentch also synergises with the extremely powerful Thounsand Sons units.

The basic problem with a Nurgle brigade is that Nurgle are best at Plague Bearers...
    So...Poxwalkers except worse that also can't be buffed by Abaddon?

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    <mark of chaos> is a faction keyword so you can throw any non-Thousand Sons non-Fabius heretic astartes unit into a nurgle detachment.
    But you only get your Loci Bonus if all your models have the <Daemon> Faction Keyword.

I just checked the points cost for Soul Grinders...
    Welcome to Plaguecrawler town. The best <Chaos> Vehicle (excluding Knights) in the game.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2018-10-17 at 01:59 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

30. - Top - End - #270
    Banned

Colour me whelmed. Depending on points costs, there are some solid options. But still, its based off expensive models in a limited release box.