New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Dragonball

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Dragonball

Is there anywhere I can find the Dragonball series but with most of the screaming/grunting trimmed down

I like to create builds and see them as optimized as powerful. I also have an annoying habit of having gratuitous character ideas and used to regularly ask to switch them out, or ask for small, against-the-rules, caveats to see a character come to completion without being hopelessly useless.
    While I have kicked a few of these habits, or at least slowed them, I try to keep all of my builds/ideas across as few, as official, and as popular rulebooks as possible as to avoid annoying everyone else.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Dragonball

Quote Originally Posted by stewstew5 View Post
    Is there anywhere I can find the Dragonball series but with most of the screaming/grunting trimmed down
    There's DragonBall Kai for a serious version, or DragonBall Abridged for a non-serious version.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

If you're talking Dragonball You don't need to worry about it since there really isn't any screaming or grunting in the show. If you're talking about Dragonball Z yeah Kai is your best bet.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

The Manga?

I mean there'll still be screaming and grunting, but it will be written down.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    If you're talking Dragonball You don't need to worry about it since there really isn't any screaming or grunting in the show. If you're talking about Dragonball Z yeah Kai is your best bet.
    I've given up on people referring to Actual Dragonball, and just assume they always talk about Z.

Love me some original Dragonball, though.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    There's DragonBall Kai for a serious version, or DragonBall Abridged for a non-serious version.
    Abridged has legit fixed more issues in the show than i can count while still keeping the show intact. Its literally able to only be watched and have the entire story, and even makes sense.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

The only flaw with Abridged is that TFS has said that they don't know when they're going to do Buu Arc. Episode 60 may be the last DBZ Abridged we get for a while, due to y'know, copyright and money issues, the last part of which comes out literally today.

So, don't expect Abridged to get beyond Cell arc. You can hope but...don't hold your breath.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

8. - Top - End - #8

I've given up on people referring to Actual Dragonball, and just assume they always talk about Z.

I meant every animated series, Z, Ultimate etc.

I like to create builds and see them as optimized as powerful. I also have an annoying habit of having gratuitous character ideas and used to regularly ask to switch them out, or ask for small, against-the-rules, caveats to see a character come to completion without being hopelessly useless.
    While I have kicked a few of these habits, or at least slowed them, I try to keep all of my builds/ideas across as few, as official, and as popular rulebooks as possible as to avoid annoying everyone else.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I meant every animated series, Z, Ultimate etc.
    Never heard of a thing called Ultimate, searched on google, got nothing but videogames, not animation.

There is OG Dragon Ball which already comes grunt free, There is Dragon Ball Z which is where most of the classic screaming and grunting happens and has official Kai version and Abridged versions to cut those out, but the Abridged version may or may not get to Buu arc, and there is Dragon Ball Super which just finished relatively recently and has screaming and grunting but has shown efforts to try and not drag everything out too much. That covers all of canon.

Dragon Ball GT is not canon anymore and no one cares enough to make a cut version to shorten out the screaming and grunting anyways.

Dragon Ball Heroes is basically a bunch of what if scenarios that don't really have any impact on anything and are actually kind of disappointing because they're basically the anime version of comic book heroes fighting each other: sounds nice in theory but always turns out disappointing and a let down in practice.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Never heard of a thing called Ultimate, searched on google, got nothing but videogames, not animation.

There is OG Dragon Ball which already comes grunt free, There is Dragon Ball Z which is where most of the classic screaming and grunting happens and has official Kai version and Abridged versions to cut those out, but the Abridged version may or may not get to Buu arc, and there is Dragon Ball Super which just finished relatively recently and has screaming and grunting but has shown efforts to try and not drag everything out too much. That covers all of canon.

Dragon Ball GT is not canon anymore and no one cares enough to make a cut version to shorten out the screaming and grunting anyways.

Dragon Ball Heroes is basically a bunch of what if scenarios that don't really have any impact on anything and are actually kind of disappointing because they're basically the anime version of comic book heroes fighting each other: sounds nice in theory but always turns out disappointing and a let down in practice.
    Thanks! I've wanted to get into Dragonball but have always been... Intimidated... By the size of the franchise

11. - Top - End - #11

Thanks! I've wanted to get into Dragonball but have always been... Intimidated... By the size of the franchise
    In that case, a bit more information for ya.

Dragonball (no additional names) is pretty comedic and silly. Watching it before DBZ will make some things in DBZ make more sense (such as Piccolo's backstory, the importance of tails, and Red Ribbon Army background). You don't really need to watch any of it at all to enjoy DBZ, honestly, but I really love it, so of course I'm gonna recommend it.

Dragon Ball Z is what's really given a lot of flak for "This planet will blow up in five minutes!"; 9 episodes later: "I'm almost done charging!" Which, let's be fair here, it totally deserves.It was based off the manga, and around that time is when it caught up and needed a bunch of filler while they waited for the rest of the manga to come out, IIRC. Dragon Ball Kai is a legit, authorized redoing of the series while reducing a lot of the filler. Dragon Ball Abridged is an unofficial, unaffiliated fan work of satire that is amazing what you should absolutely watch. If you want to get the actual story, I'd say to watch Kai first, then follow it with Abridged, which you will love. If you don't care too much, then just go straight to Abridged.

Super is next, and is i think still currently being made. I've heard good things, but haven't bothered to check it out.

Skip GT, unless you want background for some of the transformations in Dragon Ball Budokai 3 on PS2 or Xbox 360, the greatest fighting game ever made.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-09-14 at 04:27 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Super is next, and is i think still currently being made. I've heard good things, but haven't bothered to check it out.
    nope, Super, as a series, is finished. had a final episode and everything. whats being made about it now are movies again.

by the way stew, if your still up for viewing Super after Z, watch the movies Battle of Gods then Resurrection of F, the first arcs of Super are basically those movies but worse because they are more dragged out. trust me, viewing those arcs as like, hour and half movies flows a lot better than the twelve episode arcs. then switch to the arcs set after the movies. but only if you feel like doing so after DBZ, cause spoiler warning: if you find the planetary destruction and powering up ridiculous in Z, then you won't like Super because it only gets MORE ridiculous from there with god level power ups and threatening to destroy entire Universes and at least one case of destroying all of reality.

Dragon Ball is before all of that and also before Dragon Ball started being serious in Z. a lot of the weirder aspects of Toriyama's world got shoved to the side when the planet destroying started happening.

13. - Top - End - #13

nope, Super, as a series, is finished. had a final episode and everything. whats being made about it now are movies again.
    Thanks!

Also, I saw Resurrection F without catching Battle of Gods. Pretty easy to piece together what happened, though I really should have checked out BoG.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground

The only flaw with Abridged is that TFS has said that they don't know when they're going to do Buu Arc. Episode 60 may be the last DBZ Abridged we get for a while, due to y'know, copyright and money issues, the last part of which comes out literally today.

So, don't expect Abridged to get beyond Cell arc. You can hope but...don't hold your breath.
    Kaiser has said that Abridged will be going past episode 60 after all.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #15

[releases held breath]

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I guess? I'm big fan so....I have to have a measured response. can't set my expectations too high, that leads to bad things.

17. - Top - End - #17

Super** agh that's what I meant not Ultimate

Thanks for all this advice everyone

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Do you have a quote on that? Not doubting, but everything I've heard is Super is on hiatus and in the meanwhile they're going to do movies that may or may not be canon. The next of which is canon and looks amazing.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Do you have a quote on that? Not doubting, but everything I've heard is Super is on hiatus and in the meanwhile they're going to do movies that may or may not be canon. The next of which is canon and looks amazing.
    Oh, it MIGHT be that? but point is, its not currently making episodes and we haven't gotten a date for when Super will come back, so it might as well be over. but they're definitely doing movies, as to whether they're canon is a headache I don't like getting into because it leads to stupid arguments over whether something actually happened or not, I do not like those kinds of discussions because they are tiring, lead nowhere and use up energy that could be spent on better things to me.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

I posted a bunch of quotes about this in the Super thread a few months back, but it would be a nightmare to look them up now. I can corroborate that it's not a hiatus though. Super is officially over. That's not to say they won't bring it back eventually though. The demand is obviously still there. I would be very surprised if we don't get another show soon, regardless of the studio's intent.

I guess? I'm big fan so....I have to have a measured response. can't set my expectations too high, that leads to bad things.
    I'm a huge fan also, but the last several episodes have taken forever and the quality has dipped a lot (of the humor, the production value is better than ever. They've fallen into the trap of just constantly referencing themselves instead of making actual jokes) so I'm not too worried about whether they continue or not. It will be nice if they do, but I'm not expecting much from them anymore.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Colossus in the Playground

Episode 60 ends with the announcement of Season 4.

DBZA is continuing.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Episode 60 ends with the announcement of Season 4.

DBZA is continuing.
    And I can't wait to see what they're going to do with Buu considering how fond they seem to be of him and considering he's the only villain in DBZ with an actual character arc.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

And I can't wait to see what they're going to do with Buu considering how fond they seem to be of him and considering he's the only villain in DBZ with an actual character arc.
    at the same time though, they said there is going to be a tonal shift, and that Cell Saga was their love letter to DBZ and that Buu is them having fun with DBz, so if your expect a repeat performance of what we just got, thats not going to happen, they're going to get LESS serious.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

at the same time though, they said there is going to be a tonal shift, and that Cell Saga was their love letter to DBZ and that Buu is them having fun with DBz, so if your expect a repeat performance of what we just got, thats not going to happen, they're going to get LESS serious.
    That actually kinda fits the ARC. The buu saga was basically Toriama doing the same, so it fits they should shift from super serious to comical.

25. - Top - End - #25

BlackDragon

So should Dragon Ball Super be subtitled: "When children are in charge of destroying things"?
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    So should Dragon Ball Super be subtitled: "When children are in charge of destroying things"?
    No, because technically Kid Buu did that too.

Dragon Ball Super SHOULD subtitled: "The Gods Are Massive Hypocrites." because the gods think its right to destroy planets, galaxies and universes for their own stupid reasons when DBZ was all about defeating and killing people who tried to destroy planets for their own stupid reasons.

27. - Top - End - #27

BlackDragon

I wrote that ("Kids in charge of destroying things") after saturday's Adult Swim episode. Two of the ... child-like ultimate gods are watching a fight, and instead of accepting a ring-out, or destruction of the arena, want the fight to keep going because it's entertaining to them to watch adults knock the bleep out of each other.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

No, because technically Kid Buu did that too.

Dragon Ball Super SHOULD subtitled: "The Gods Are Massive Hypocrites." because the gods think its right to destroy planets, galaxies and universes for their own stupid reasons when DBZ was all about defeating and killing people who tried to destroy planets for their own stupid reasons.
    That would imply the DB gods ever said that destroying planets was wrong.

Or that the DB gods are good.

But they never did. The DB gods may be evil, stupid and selfish, but that doesn't make them hypocrites since they never went against their own words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    That would imply the DB gods ever said that destroying planets was wrong.

Or that the DB gods are good.

But they never did. The DB gods may be evil, stupid and selfish, but that doesn't make them hypocrites since they never went against their own words.
    Touche.

That kind of only proves the point that destroying planets is wrong though. Its just, for some reason they get a face-punching immunity when they are in the most in need of fist-to-expression contact.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

You noticed that the good gods of OOTS have been blowing up planets millions/billions of times, right?

So it's possible that blowing up planets may be indeed needed to keep universal equilibrium or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."