New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Iron Fist 2 -- Two fists are better than one

Just finished the new series and don't see a thread on it yet, so I figured why not make one.

Season two is so much better than season one! The direction they take the plot helps shore up some of the weaknesses in Danny's character from the first season AND they chopped 3 episodes from the season so it doesn't have that 'pointless filler' issue that a lot of Netflix marvel series have.

Since the first season was poo-pooed by a lot of people I will refrain from any actual spoilers for now, but as people give it a go I look forward to seeing what others think.

I will close by saying: the ending was pretty fantastic. Season 3 has the potential to be absolutely epic.

Edit: st00pid typos.
    Last edited by Erys; 2018-09-14 at 08:54 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Fist 2 -- Two fists are better than one

I've been so busy, I'm only up to episode 6, but so far, I agree. It's a great improvement over the first season. Granted, that was a low bar to clear, but still.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erys View Post
    Just finished the new series and don't see a thread on it yet, so I figured why not make one.

Season two is so much better than season one! The direction they take the plot helps shore up some of the weaknesses in Danny's character from the first season AND they chopped 3 episodes from the season so it doesn't have that 'pointless filler' issue that a lot of Netflix marvel series have.

Since the first season was poo-pooed by a lot of people I will refrain from any actual spoilers for now, but as people give it a go I look forward to seeing what others think.

I will close by saying: the ending was pretty fantastic. Season 3 has the potential to be absolutely epic.

Edit: st00pid typos.
    Would you say you need to see the first season to understand the second or Defenders for that matter?
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Unfortunately, yes, but season 2 is enough better to make it worthwhile.

Haven't finished it yet, but what they did with Davos in this series is actually way better than the comics (he's still petty and revenge driven, but he has a more personal stake with Danny that makes it sound less whiny).

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Would you say you need to see the first season to understand the second or Defenders for that matter?
    Defenders isn't necessary at all (but it and Luke Cage 2 do have direct tie ins to Misty). Season one lays important ground work for season two; you could skip it and still probably get 85% of what's going on, but you will lose a lot in regards to some motivations and the character development of much of the cast.

I would sit through season one, its not /that/ bad. (I found it to be mostly good, especially with regards to the Meachums).

6. - Top - End - #6

My only hope since they first announced Iron Fist for Netflix was that they will eventually adapt the Immortal Iron Fist storyline. It seems that now the show might be ready to go there in sesaon 3, if they make it. I think that plotline would work beautifully with the Iron Fist world they have built in the tv series.

Spoiler
    Show
    With a WW1 flashback episode. And the Prince of Orphans.
    Last edited by Clertar; 2018-09-15 at 05:28 AM.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

7. - Top - End - #7

Yeah, like I said in the Luke Cage Season 2 thread, Iron Fist Season 2 is way better than Season 1, or any part of Defenders where Danny's mouth was moving. I might even go so far as to say that it's the best Netflix Marvel Season 2 yet. It's certainly the most improved.

I didn't like Danny at all in Iron Fist S1 or Defenders, because he was just so unbearably smug about how he's the Immortal Iron Fist from K'un L'un where he fought a dragon in K'un L'un to win the Iron Fist of K'un L'un and become the defender of K'un L'un and he's the only one who understands what's going on in this place that's way worse than K'un L'un because he's the Immortal Iron Fist from K'un L'un K'un L'un Iron Fist K'un L'un did he mention he fought a dragon? K'un L'un.

But Defenders basically jerked the rug out from under him on all that, and so he starts off Season 2 kind of at loose ends, without a real sense of direction, beyond a vague instruction from Matt to protect the city, which he has no real idea how to do, and so he's lost most of that smug sense of self-importance. Also he's got a girlfriend who is willing and able to smack him down (sometimes literally) when he gets too far up his own ass. As a result, he's a lot more tolerable in Season 2.

Season 2 also focuses a lot on Colleen, or on Colleen+Misty, where Danny might be involved only peripherally, if at all. I suspect they're teasing a Daughters of the Dragon spin-off for maybe next season. I am totally down for that; I'll watch Colleen and Misty kicking people's butts all day.

I could've maybe done with less Ward (who continues to be Ward), but I think the ending wouldn't have paid off as well without the Ward stuff beforehand.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The issue I had with Danny is that he seemed to have a motivation problem, which season 2 kinda rectifies. Let me explain. Spoilers just in case.

Spoiler
    Show
    As I see it, Danny's true struggle is to find a real sense of purpose. The Iron Fist was a quest that kept him going as a young lad having lost his parents and stranded in some weird place, but he grew bored of the position quickly; irresponsibly so, in my view. Once he gets himself recognized as Danny Rand he shows negligence and a complete disregard for the realities of running the company; only the Hand-related problems get him interested. In Season 2 the power of the Iron Fist itself is seen to be eating at him. Once the Fist is stolen from him he basically throws it to Colleen and expects her to just handle it with no problems (which she does seem able to, but that's not the point).

The problem is that in Season 1, the way he carries himself doesn't indicate any awareness of his own flaws and so he comes across as insufferable. He talked the talk of some wise master (even in his Luke Cage Season 2 appearance), when he was anything but.

His struggles in Season 2 make him a bit more sympathetic, and by the end of it he isn't even the Iron Fist anymore. Perhaps allowing the audience to follow his journey to uncover the mysteries of the Iron Fist (presumably in Season 3) will help. The fact that we see a sword and a pair of guns light up with mystical glow in the last episode leads me to think that Season 3 may explore that concept further.

The intersection between Misty and Colleen will be interesting in light of Misty's statement that Colleen is now one of the few people able to deal with Luke's invulnerability. I'm not 100% sure if this is meant to hint at a future conflict between the two, but it's an interesting idea at least.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Erys View Post

Thanks, I'm not going to read the rest of the thread, just in case of spoilers. But I'll actually go watch the second season. I thought the first one was so bad I wasn't going to give the second one a chance. But, now I will :)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

You can find recaps of s1 on the youtubes if you don't want to watch it all.
    I haven't watched s1 so I don't know how relevant/good those recaps are, but the option is there...

11. - Top - End - #11

My main thought about the season 2 is that it's so much better because it isn't about Danny anymore. He's the title character, but they've shifted over to a more ensemble cast, to the point where a few episodes barely even include him!

I love what they've done with Colleen and Misty, and Davos' actor is clearly having the time of his life with the role. Contrary to a comment above, I even like where they went with Ward, it's good to see what he becomes with Harold out of the picture, some real positive influences in his life, and a sincere desire to change.

Honestly, the only thing I didn't like was

Spoiler
    Show
    Where they went with Joy. Her character arc so far doesn't make any sense, to the point where even she wasn't able to explain why she did what she did. It's like they just needed another villain to plunk in with Davos and Walker and they decided to squeeze Joy into that role.

If RPG's have taught me anything, it's that all social and economic problems of the world can be solved through murder.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Unfortunately, yes, but season 2 is enough better to make it worthwhile.
    Season 2 is a definite improvement but it seems to suffer from drifting.

What ever happened to the Hand? I know the answer
    Spoiler
    Show
    Its called The Defenders
    but its jarring that season one is all about them and ends with the destruction K’un Lun and...they are completely not a factor anymore. Triads are really a step down when it comes to having mooks to fight.

That really comes to main problem with the show: Danny. The way they fix it is shift the focus away from him:

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    My main thought about the season 2 is that it's so much better because it isn't about Danny anymore. He's the title character, but they've shifted over to a more ensemble cast, to the point where a few episodes barely even include him!
    But Danny is still an insufferable who alternates between thinking he is some sort of master, and really being a little lost boy who doesn’t actually understand spirituality and has to be taught basic chi gong by the Hand.

Also, all the elements that make Danny a bad character are all over the show!

This season they do tell us more that shows that Danny’s basic imbalance stems from K’un Lun itself and also affects Davos.

Basically K’un Lun’s monetary abuses children to train them for becoming soldiers in a supposedly mythical fight against the Hand that they don’t actually actively engage in. Then they get destroyed the minute the Hand shows up! These are lousy martial artists!

Danny is messed up enough by the idea that his life goal begins and ends with the Iron Fist that he doesn’t really know what its for or what to do with.... Davos, gets it even worse because his mother tells him its his personal destiny that he screwed up.

This is not the formula for enlightened martial artists that understand balanced living. I’m not exactly sure why they decided to introduce us to war-cult monks in the first place, but what I want to know is when and if they are ever going to call out the K’un Lun monks for what they are....

Or is the show just pretending that balance, wisdom and tranquility don’t exist?

Its like they are saying that Danny can simultaneously be a master martial artist, lack basic life skills, not have any practical wisdom and knows less about chi than you can get from a few hours googling.

the end, the show itself, from the inception, devalues the practical life skills and spiritual elements of the very practices it claims to teach us about, and it works to the show’s detriment. It’s just the first casualty of this lack of respect for eastern spiritual practices and martial arts is Danny Rand himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post

This season they do tell us more that shows that Danny’s basic imbalance stems from K’un Lun itself and also affects Davos.

Basically K’un Lun’s monetary abuses children to train them for becoming soldiers in a supposedly mythical fight against the Hand that they don’t actually actively engage in. Then they get destroyed the minute the Hand shows up! These are lousy martial artists!

Danny is messed up enough by the idea that his life goal begins and ends with the Iron Fist that he doesn’t really know what its for or what to do with.... Davos, gets it even worse because his mother tells him its his personal destiny that he screwed up.

This is not the formula for enlightened martial artists that understand balanced living. I’m not exactly sure why they decided to introduce us to war-cult monks in the first place, but what I want to know is when and if they are ever going to call out the K’un Lun monks for what they are....

Or is the show just pretending that balance, wisdom and tranquility don’t exist?

Its like they are saying that Danny can simultaneously be a master martial artist, lack basic life skills, not have any practical wisdom and knows less about chi than you can get from a few hours googling.

the end, the show itself, from the inception, devalues the practical life skills and spiritual elements of the very practices it claims to teach us about, and it works to the show’s detriment. It’s just the first casualty of this lack of respect for eastern spiritual practices and martial arts is Danny Rand himself.
    Now that you mention it, there does seem to be something odd about Kun Lun and how events played out in the series. I'm not familiar with the Iron Fist comics so I don't know if that's something they simply carried over from there, but yeah it's strange that unbalanced people such as Danny and Davos could have been the elite of an ancient enlightened monastic order.

I won't go so far as to say that they're intentionally devaluing eastern spiritual practices and martial arts, but maybe they couldn't integrate that with the flaws and quirks the story required its characters to have. Presenting Danny and Davos as "still learning" would have worked better, but as I understood it, being in contention for the Iron Fist is supposed to represent a great accomplishment within the society of Kun Lun.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    Now that you mention it, there does seem to be something odd about Kun Lun and how events played out in the series. I'm not familiar with the Iron Fist comics so I don't know if that's something they simply carried over from there, but yeah it's strange that unbalanced people such as Danny and Davos could have been the elite of an ancient enlightened monastic order.

I won't go so far as to say that they're intentionally devaluing eastern spiritual practices and martial arts, but maybe they couldn't integrate that with the flaws and quirks the story required its characters to have.
    I don’t think the devaluation is intentional. I think it’s the consequence of portraying K’un Lun as a Hand-opposing war cult that violently trains child soldiers (and basically telling us nothing else about their philosophy other than training chants and war slogans).

This is also Stick’s MO but it works better when it’s just Stick because he’s a crazy old coot actually fighting a desperate and losing battle against evil. Stick, also was played as a three dimensional character with all that gooey surrogate father stuff. And at times, he’s been the voice of reason, even wise.

The monks are just portrayed with the crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    Presenting Danny and Davos as "still learning" would have worked better, but as I understood it, being in contention for the Iron Fist is supposed to represent a great accomplishment within the society of Kun Lun.
    The tension is already there: Danny, at least, comes across as a neophyte. Remarkably, this is true when it comes to the Iron Fist itself, and that is his big superpower he’s supposedly been none stop training for or with the Fist since he was...ten.

Recall when he loses it in season one, Bakuto teaches him some yoga/chi gong/breathing so he gets it back...that’s right K’un Lun doesn’t teach basic chi exercise...

For another way to portrayal of martial arts warriors as more balanced and wise...there’s only thousands of movies, TV shows, anime and direct to DVD (many on Netflix). Is there no one on Iron Fist with any experience that who can show the wisdom of Matt Murdock’s priest or even...Stick?
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.

15. - Top - End - #15

So I'm only through episode six but I wanted to call out one thing that caught my attention -- not really a spoiler, but did anyone else find it odd how
    Spoiler
    Show
    Davos tells Danny "the scales will fall from your eyes?" That's a pretty specific reference I'd expect to be obscure for a guy who grew up in a Buddhist monastery. Where did he learn that phrase?

EDIT: Oh, since I'm talking about the show anyways, my partway-through review: this season has a much better ratio of kung fu to sitting around in board rooms talking about corporate politics than the first season did.
    Last edited by Pheehelm; 2018-09-16 at 06:36 PM.
    A potent relic of the past. 'Tis said the wearer commands the wisdom of kings, and can see the unseeable.
    Like the grue lurking in your bedroom waiting for you to fall asleep.
    But perhaps some things are better left unseen...
    Dazzling avatar by Ceika

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post

The tension is already there: Danny, at least, comes across as a neophyte. Remarkably, this is true when it comes to the Iron Fist itself, and that is his big superpower he’s supposedly been none stop training for or with the Fist since he was...ten.

Recall when he loses it in season one, Bakuto teaches him some yoga/chi gong/breathing so he gets it back...that’s right K’un Lun doesn’t teach basic chi exercise...
    The monks can be blamed for having a seriously messed up world view and being a culture that encourages what we would consider extreme child abuse, but they can't be blamed for Danny's ignorance about the Iron Fist.

IIRC, Danny ditches K'un-Lun the very next day after winning the Iron Fist. There is no reason to teach aspirants how to handle the Fist, since only 1 will get it and the training would just be wasted time for all the others. So, Danny got exactly zero training before the portal opened and Danny took the hawk going through as a sign that he should leave K'un-Lun.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

K'un L'un's culture seeming barbaric and needlessly cruels is a direct result of the complete deletion of the H'lythri (evil plant creatures K'un L'un has been at war with for centuries, and which constantly attack hem in attempted genocide). They're kind of silly, but provide a direct threat justifying their harsh ways.

The Hand was an extremely poor replacement (being a mortal threat for an immortal realm, rathr than an immortal one for the same) and is ironically one of the worst changes from the comics, even if it seemed like the most necessary. Many of the others work as well or better; Davos is much better as Danny's rival rather than his father's with a passed-down grudge, Ward works better as Joy's well meaning but extremely flawed brother rather than "evil uncle", and Joy is better as a character with actual agency (even if that agency boils down to her being a petty bitch), but the removal of the doofy plant monsters is the biggest hit to verisimilitude in some ways.

K'un L'un being a nation at war (and a centuries long, bloody, and ultimately impossible to resolve by diplomacy war at that) justifies a lot of their harsher practices; that justification is lacking here.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

The Hand could replace the H’lythri better if they were an actual presence in K’un Lun and that dimension, and had bigger goals and a deeper organization than a totally destroyable one that apparently was the plaything for
    Spoiler: Defenders
    Show
    five people who wanted dragon parts for immortality.

In addition, they seem to have made a conscious decision not to inject more than the mildest trappings of traditional eastern spirituality and philosophy into Iron Fist. Daredevil, in contrast, is a study of how to handle that. He has Father Lantom for guidance, goes through serious and relatable spiritual crises, and deals with many people with perspectives he can contrast.

Instead, Danny spouts some unrecognizable stuff about chi which the people around him don’t understand (I don’t either, and I’ve studied and practiced the basics).

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I think that it will be revealed that the K'un-Lun that Danny and Davos grew up in was and is broken. Maybe it had been infiltrated by the Hand or some other dark power, or maybe it had just gone badly astray due to prolonged isolation.

I don't think they spent as much time as they did showing us Davos's mother just to add a bit depth to Davos. I think we will see more of her once Danny (and probably Davos also) return to K'un-Lun, and a lot more will be revealed about K'un-Lun got so far from whatever their true path was.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

That's pretty simple; the Yu-Ti was always a corrupt *******. I'm only on episode 7 or 8, but people up thread mentione dthe series seems to be setting up for the events of the Immortal Iron Fist series, which may mean we get to see cool stuff with Orson Randall, the other Immortal Cities and their Weapons (hopefully retconning the travesty that was their take on the Bride of Nine Spiders in season 1), and the exposure of Yu-Ti's corruption.

21. - Top - End - #21

Having finished the series: I liked it. I also liked the first season actually, maybe because I went in with the type of expectations for a martial arts flick.

I don't get some comments I see here and elsewhere of the type "sure it's better than season 1, but mostly because of secondary characters so it doesn't count". Maybe the show was written with these characters, rather than them infiltrating the script against the writers' wishes. Maybe the cocky main character that comes across as exasperating is so by design so that the other characters integrate better in the story.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    "sure it's better than season 1, but mostly because of secondary characters so it doesn't count". Maybe the show was written with these characters, rather than them infiltrating the script against the writers' wishes. Maybe the cocky main character that comes across as exasperating is so by design so that the other characters integrate better in the story.
    Since I was one of the people that made a comment along these lines, I'll expand, largely by agreeing with you. I don't think I said it doesn't count, but my tone might have implied that. It does count, Danny is definitely written as a flawed, clueless character and there's a place for him to be that in the story, but too much of that (like in season 1) just gets cringey. The writers have done a fantastic job saving the show.

---

On the lack of Eastern Mysticism and the portrayal of K'un L'un:

K'un L'un is a deeply isolationist, pre-industrial society. This is not a combination of factors that is going to produce an enlightened utopia, and it makes perfect sense that the leadership of the society are jerks who are shockingly out of touch with the outside world. It would be weird if they weren't.
    If RPG's have taught me anything, it's that all social and economic problems of the world can be solved through murder.

23. - Top - End - #23

On the lack of Eastern Mysticism and the portrayal of K'un L'un:

K'un L'un is a deeply isolationist, pre-industrial society. This is not a combination of factors that is going to produce an enlightened utopia, and it makes perfect sense that the leadership of the society are jerks who are shockingly out of touch with the outside world. It would be weird if they weren't.
    I think that the show tried very hard not to show much of K'un L'un in the first and second seasons because they plan to develop it more later on, probably with the Immortal Iron Fist storyline. Lacking proper budget and a clear reason to compromise the design, they'll design the city we get to see eventually when the plot really takes us there. And if that happens, the weakness and corruption of K'un L'un leadership will be a plot point.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Danny Rand is a weak and arrogant protagonist and that is entirely a creation of the Netflix series.

Since it’s K’un Lun version of martial arts Danny practices, it’s basically a stand in for what martial arts are all about (especially since Danny acts as if he has superior training that makes him much better than any earthly martial artist).

In the comics Danny’s teachers and K’un Lun’s inhabitants have considerably more development and more depth in the comics.

The result of removing that and other wise men in Netflix’s Iron Fist is that K’un Lun’s take sounds like what the series take martial arts to be, war cults like K’un Lun and the Hand. We have yet to get any other perspective other than Danny’s musings as if he has a vague idea that he could invent a path of balance and inner harmony that has never before existed in the world.

Which tells you Danny is very ignorant of real world martial arts and their associated philosophies.

Season 3 is very late to address these issues. Meanwhile, K’un Lun martial arts, philosophy, and everything else about them seem as detached from reality as the physical location of the city. That’s not satisfactory for the place that explains Danny’s entire outlook as well as the motives of most of his villains. It’s

There’s a giant hole in the center of the show’s writing and the hole isn’t located in Hell’s Kitchen.
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2018-09-18 at 10:13 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

It's definitely better than season 1... But that's is a VERY low bar to overcome.

Danny is still boring and half his character traits make no sense (still leagues better than in season 1). Colleen is only marginally better than him.

Honestly, the only characters that are somewhat interesting are Misty and Ward. Everyone else is unlikable, boring and/or forgettable.

And the near complete lack of anything K'un Lun-related other than Danny and Davos just makes the series much less interesting.

I watched thia series because Cage season 2 was surpeisingly good, but unfortunatelly Iron Fist didn't manage to do the same.
    Homebrew Stuff:

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    It's definitely better than season 1... But that's is a VERY low bar to overcome.

Danny is still boring and half his character traits make no sense (still leagues better than in season 1). Colleen is only marginally better than him.

Honestly, the only characters that are somewhat interesting are Misty and Ward. Everyone else is unlikable, boring and/or forgettable.

And the near complete lack of anything K'un Lun-related other than Danny and Davos just makes the series much less interesting.

I watched thia series because Cage season 2 was surpeisingly good, but unfortunatelly Iron Fist didn't manage to do the same.
    I agree overall with the sentiment that it needs to be better but the problem is not so much a lack of anything K'un Lun related as the fact that everything derives from and is centered around K'un Lun but that K'un Lun itself does not substantially appear. All we get this season is a bunch of artifacts, a lot of Davos' mommy injecting him with an inferiority complex, and a lot of shots of a single fight with a group of judges that don't say much. Meanwhile the stuff from the first season, like Shao-Lao and the Hand, are no longer important and hardly mentioned, which is odd because those things were apparently all-important to K'un Lun's very identity.

Going back to the exact same event time and again to explain what's happening is itself, a sign that they are trying to avoid world buidling, and in addition we are not exactly seeing a diverse set of perspectives of the fight. They could have, for example, allowed us to hear from each of the judges, and what they thought about Danny, Davos, the fight, and why things were happening.

Also, its not really that the cast is unlikable or meh. The only problem I have with Mary Walker, or the Triads, is that they are completely unrelated to the overarching story. They are a distraction from the main plot involving Danny's mission to find himself, and Davos' mission to become the Iron Fist. Those elements, if they had anything to do with the main plot, could have been much more engaging.

There one last issue I have with the season and that surround Davos' idea of what the Iron Fist should be
    Spoiler: Latter half spoilers
    Show
    When Davos obtains the Iron Fist he immediately goes crazy murder spree; spouting nonsense about how killing all the criminals will cleanse the city. What's odd about this is, I thought the Iron Fist was all about protecting K'un Lun, why does Davos suddenly care about New York and specifically Hell's Kitchen and Chinatown? He didn't so much even when the Hand was still there.

Also, the Iron Fist was supposed to fight the Hand, which we know no longer exists (supposedly), but Davos wasn't in the Defenders, and its not clear why he no longer cares about the Hand. Also he doesn't care about whatever remains of K'un Lun, and his own people. Instead, he is basically doing Danny's mission, which we we are told is just Matt Murdock's mission, the way he thinks it should be done.

So in the end, there is a lot of stuff, and a lot of interesting characters, its just that things don't add up and lot's of what's going on either does not segue with what came before, or just plainly makes no sense.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

I think most of the issues with Iron fist come down to 'having a TV budget'. They can't go to Kun Lun or show a dragon, and his superpower requires a visual effect, whereas the other Defender's powers can be done with destructable props and acting.

Also, Defenders was coming up, and they couldn't have Danny fully in control of his powers because that would make Matt obsolete 'anything you can do, I can do better', which DD fans wouldn't like after the show made its name on DD's 'realistic' martial arts. Also, it'd mean they have to make the Hand more of an effective threat.

Spoiler: Season 2
    Show

Started off well, lost me a bit towards the end. Danny abruptly leaving at the end was weird. Misty grates whenever she's onscreen, as a holdover from Luke Cage Season 2.

There appears to be a sudden gun shortage in NYC

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    Also, Defenders was coming up, and they couldn't have Danny fully in control of his powers because that would make Matt obsolete 'anything you can do, I can do better', which DD fans wouldn't like after the show made its name on DD's 'realistic' martial arts. Also, it'd mean they have to make the Hand more of an effective threat.
    ]
    I'm really interested in this, because I have read maybe one daredevil comic and never an iron fist.
    How could iron fist render daredevil obsolete? DD's sensory powers are incredible and Iron fist doesn't have em. Explain?

As for Daredevil's 'realistic' martial arts, who could think that? Dude spins-to-win, risks his legs needlessly, and that signature flip kick is the dumbest move I've seen and a layman could see it. How could it be considered "realistic" by anyone?
    Luke cage is incredibly inconsistent/doesn't take advantage of his invincibility at all. It bothers me, but I guess he'd make everyone else redundant if he used his potential all the time.
    Punisher, other than his rediculous capacity to take and recover from punishment, fights rather nicely, but it's not really the kind of martial arts I'm familiar with so I could be wrong.

The Hand upset me. Throughout the second half of S2 of daredevil I was agonizingly awaiting Frank to mow down the ninja army with a machine gun or semi auto.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Jack View Post
    I'm really interested in this, because I have read maybe one daredevil comic and never an iron fist.
    How could iron fist render daredevil obsolete? DD's sensory powers are incredible and Iron fist doesn't have em. Explain?
    Let's put it this way: when Danny "took up Matt's legacy" for a bit in the comics, he literally dressed up like Daredevil and patrolled Hell's Kitchen.

Nobody could tell the difference.

Danny doesn't have Daredevil's senses, but he has immense training and superhuman reflexes, so with less forewarning he can pull off the same tricks. Plus he can actually...see. Which even with DDs powers IS kind of an advantage.

Iron Fist is arguably the best martial artist in the setting, plus super powers that make him better at martial arts. It makes sense that he obsoletes most "martial artist with a twist" street level superheroes. Only a few people like Shang Chi really match or exceed him in raw martial arts talent, and most of them are complete mundanes which the Iron Fist (and the enhanced attributes that come with it, Iron Fist is a bit beyond Captain America's raw stats in the physical arena) acts as an equalizer to. Even most of the other Immortal Weapons are a bit weaker than Danny as the Iron Fist specifically.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2018-09-20 at 03:06 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Well, considering Iron Fist is supposed to be the best martial artist in the setting, they really should have put a bit more effort into the fight scenes, cause they are hands down the worst in the TV shows, including Jessica Jones.
    "In defeat, malice; in victory, revenge!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Captnq View Post
    Roleplay liking each other or GET OUT. Because I've had it up to my eyeballs with REAL role-players and their "concept" being more important then the rules, fun, and the other players