New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Into the Tidelss Expanse IC

Captain's Log: Calibration, Day 1.

Bearing: 2238 n.m. East of Abalon

It appeared from nowhere. A massive island, by our calculations to be approximately 700 miles across, has appeared from seemingly nowhere. We are at present, approximately 624 miles from the shore of this island, but we are in no condition to go out of our way to investigate it. My ship is just a trade cog, manned by only 30 crew. When we reach Abalon, we will tell the House of our findings, though we are certain that they will already know. Based on its height and location, Everyone in the West, as well as those living on the coasts of both the western South and the Isle will already know it is there.

What is odd is that it has not affected the currents of the Ocean around it. We know this, because we are using the Merchant's Way to pull us along faster than we could sail with a favorable wind.

-Log entry from Captain Alyn Sandbar, Captain, G.S. Silver Silk.

By the End of Calibration, the word on everyone's lips was the new island. Theories abounded on where it came from, each as likely as the last. Fairies, gods, demon magic. Even a few whispers about it being a new war machine devised and built from the Shadowlands.

By the time you reach port in Abalon, the initial panic has more or less subsided, though there is still some tension that this is prelude to some attack. Oddities aside, the harbormaster comes out to greet you as you debark your ship.

"Welcome ashore. Abalon awaits. Just sign your ship to the register, and pay the dock fee. Coral or Jade is acceptable, and silver is welcome as well."

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Into the Tidelss Expanse IC

As owner of the ship, Mantis was doing the port registration stuff while the captain and the crew did the last tasks onboard. She had chosen the port of Gateway instead of Seahaven because it was...
    one: a trading port where she expected to have more possibilities to pick up a good cargo and/or passengers
    two: a place where there was no realm embassy like in Seahaven.
    three: she personally knew the Tya elder in the guildhouse here

After registering the Untamed Tranquility, as she had called her ship and a bit of haggling over the port fee, which she did without using her charms as she didn't want to start by drawing undue attention on herself and her ship. After that was done, she went back to the ship and called everyone to the master cabin.

"We'll be staying here for a couple of days," she said, "be careful and keep your eyes and ears open. Remember that Wavecrest is a Realm satrapy and keep the shenanigans to a minimum."
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"No magic? And you say our culture are the barbarians!"

Pale Ocean grins goodhumouredly as he makes sure his robes hang properly to conceal his bracers, and slips the orichalcum wire necklace under his collar where it can be hidden from sight.

"We should see what people have heard about that island. I plan to speak to the thaumaturges and sorcerers of this city port, such as they are. And then maybe go to a tavern. I want to see what they are like."

He can't hide the excitement from his voice as he adjusts the crystal lenses in front of his eyes, but then he sobers a little.

"Do not worry. I know that Chosen of the Sun are not welcome here. I shall be careful. Is anyone else up for a Wander? Mantis, I assume you'll be grabbing supplies and maybe cargo, but it'd be nice to either travel together or at least meet in a tavern after."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I plan on checking with some merchants I know and then go to the Tya chapterhouse to get more information there," Mantis said, "There is an inn right next to it, we can meet up there. And indeed, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get to know as much as possible about the island. If we all agree we might have a look around there."

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Ivory adjusts their belted hook swords as she sizes up the dock for anyone who looks like they might be Fae in disguise (you can never be to careful). I will accompany you to the chapterhouse if you don't mind, Mantis. I've not actually been to a proper one before, I'm keen to meet our sisters in this part of the world.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hidden Thunder didn't say anything as Mantis spoke, simply leaning against the wall and listening as she explained the situation, while he pondered what to do with his time. While he had seen towns before, barring raids he had always been confined to the Black Forge Clan's boats while other more social members of the Clan did business. Intoxicating as it was to be in a town that wasn't on fire for once, he had to admit that he knew little of what was in town to occupy a visitor.

Fortunately, listening to his fellow exalted gave the beginnings of an idea. He had never tried food that wasn't strictly for sustenance, so the thought of eating at a Tavern, eating food that was meant to be enjoyed, was an intriguing thought.

"I'll just wander around town for a bit, see the sights, then join you all at the tavern, if that's alright." With that simple statement, he pushes himself off the wall as he begins to leave. "Hmmm, where was Cloud on the ship again?"
    Last edited by RocknRollFTW; 2018-09-17 at 10:48 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Sure, you can join me," Mantis said to Ivory, "i have to pass by a merchant as I told you, but you're welcome to join there too. Just let me do the talking there. Well, see you later."

The last was to the others. Leaving the ship again, she went with Ivory to Kahewai, a merchant she had dealt with before here in Gateway.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

White Paw draw the hood of his cloak tighter. The clothing was covering his extensive Lunar tattooss just fine, and he wasn’t afraid of a brawl, but still, if would be better to avoid unnecessary attention.

- Shall I protect the ship just in case? - he asked – Or you know what? - continued the Lunar – I am going with you. Gods only know what troubles you will breed for yourselves. You could use a bodyguard, I assume.
    LGBTinP 🏳️*🌈, Furry 🐾, European 🇪🇺 & Schizophreniac ♿, possibly a Weirdo 😜
    Fursona by Sirodbcollie from Twitter

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Ivory dosn't growl at Paw, but their expression makes it clear it was a close thing I'm quite capable of keeping one Solar out of trouble myself. Why don't you keep an eye on that one so he's not wandering around unsupervised? they nod at Pale Ocean.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

- Alright, I will stay with Pale Ocean if you will so - answered Paw.

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

11. - Top - End - #11

OrcBarbarianGuy

Pale Ocean sighs, and adjusts his crystal lenses again.

"I'm perfectly capable of supervising myself...ok mostly capable. Look, the last time wasn't my fault. I was being polite! How am I supposed to know that just complimenting women on their ornate necklaces is code on that island for 'Take me in your house and try to marry me' without using the abilities gifted me by the Sun?"

He shakes his head, cheeks colouring a little as he remembers the incident.

"Civilised people are so much more complicated than elementals or animals."

He leaves the ship shortly after Ivory and Mantis, bringing his accompanying Dragonclaw tribe sailors and all those other Exalted who wish to join him for a quick stop in thaumaturgy shops before reconvening at either the Tya house or the suggested Inn.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Together with Ivory, Mantis left the ship and headed for Kahewai. She tried to make some small talk on the way, but Ivory didn't seem to be in a really talkative mood. Arriving at the merchant she announced herself and after some waiting, she was brought in.
    "Greetings Kahewai," she said, "I have returned and I wanted to see if you were interested in my cargo. It's ten bales of dyed cloth from the neck and some small boxes of pearls."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Kahewai walks from the back storeroom of her store, and stops short of a low table, across from Mantis. The woman bears the darker skin of someone from the south, but her blue hair with its black and grey streaks marks her as descended from the tribes of the neck. She bears a stern look on her face that deepens to a scowl when she looks Mantis up and down.

"An' dijyou bring me a sample of your cargo fa' me to examine? Ya may recall what happened da las' time I took ya' cargo without inspecting it first. Ma storeroom still reeks a' the rotten scent a' that 'exotic fruit.'"

Despite her attempts to remain serious and stern, a smile creeps onto the woman's face.

"Bah! I can' remain angry wit' you very long. D'oh what I say about da fruit is true. My shop stinks of eet during the entire season of Fire."

She holds her arm out as she comes around the table, and the silver and gold bangles on her arms slide down to her elbows as she turns you about.

"Let's see dis cargo you bring, eh?"

Waqndering about the town, you soon come to find that there is much talk about the Island. Rumor has it that the Satrapy is attemting to gather a fleet to go and investigate the place, but there seems to be some difficulty in finding volunteers.

Inside of one... shall we say, respectable(?) looking establishment, the Silver Blossom, the drinks are flowing plenty, and sailors are all grumbling about the lack of decent winds since the island appeared. The barmaids are hustling about, bringing ale and rum, and some other, more exotic drinks to the men and Tya gathered in the drinking hall. Still other women are leading men off upstairs, and business seems to be none the worse for the odd events happening around the West.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Hey, that was not my fault," Mantis said, "besides, you made enough money on the ones you sold before the others turned bad. But of course I have samples."

She took out some samples of the cloth she had brought and one of the small cases of Pearls.
    "they have this strange way of colouring on that Island," she said, "it makes that the colours blend nicely from one to the other. And they make it look easy. Trust me, you won't see cloth this fine and this nicely dyed anywhere in the west and probably some of the other directions as well. As to the Pearls, those speak for themselves, right?"

She activated one of her charms while speaking about the good qualities of the cloth.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

activate Insightful Buyer Technique for 3 personal motes to know how much it's worth here.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Silent as a shadow during the exchanges on board the boat is a seemingly demure woman, wearing a maid costume that's only slightly tattered at the edges. She tugs at it habitually but otherwise remains standing at attention. Her dark, almost black eyes glance from one fellow exalt to the next.

"I will inquire with the local help and mercenaries about the current goings on. If we need sundries, give me the list; it won't seem out of place for a lowly maid (like myself) to handle acquiring them..."

She embarks a few steps behind the others as they leave, and (hopefully) quickly blends in with the other servant class types bustling around the port town. She would later be surprised by the number of women with jobs in Wavecret but not enough to deter her from asking around about that island.

Spoiler: OOC/rolls
    Show

(4d10)[3][6][4][7](20)

Manipulation +socialize to dig up any info about what people in town are doing about the island. Who (else) is hiring mercenaries, any more details about why the Satrapy can't get a decent army together-- maybe someone else is buying up their services...
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Paw entered into the tavern and got himself some ale. He decided to not talk with anyone but his Exalted peers and just listen to the conversations, to get an idea about what is happening in the city.

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

“Turned bad? Turned bad? Girl, they smelt bad from the first. I only managed to sell them as ritual materials to a shaman.”

The woman looks over the cloth. She runs it through her hands, holds it up to the light.

“Eet’s Good, but I’ve seen better. I am thinking you got mebbe a Talent’s worth, if de rest is as good.”

She turns to the pearls, and goes over them with an appraising glass. “Dees are good as well. How many did you say you have?” After the response, she eyes you before responding. “Five bars.”

Show
    Its a decent price, but you know it’s worth at least twice as much.

Pepper goes about town. Her inquiries, however, are perhaps too vague to illicit much more than the same scuttlebutt that everyone seems to be discussing. Until, that is, when she gets near to the Satrapy headquarters. There, she overhears a captain complain that half of his crew was just pressed into the expeditionary force leaving for the island.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Mantis looked at the merchant, not speaking for a few moments.

"I know as a Tya I can't use the 'starving children' play Merchants often use," She said, "but I still have a ship to maintain and a crew to pay. Try triple of your offer and we can speak."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Carrying a small basket (ostensibly for the sundries she mentioned,) Pepper looks over at the unfortunate captain and with a voice tinged with faint sympathy approaches.

"Ah, pardon me, Good Captain, but did I hear you right?" Pepper's no actor but she can at least try to put up a front supported by half truths, "This sounds dreadful; I should alert my own ...ah.. master so they can see to their own ship crew, but why did he take half of yours? Just for exploring some new island?" she tries to leave things unsaid, perhaps to goad the captain, such as why the Satrapy is having man-power-problems to begin with. To her old life it sounds like a discipline and low moral issue, to say the least, but she isn't the Satrapy's master of arms. There could be other issues that would explain it.

Spoiler: OOC/Rolls
    Show

Another round of manipulation and socializing, hopefully I come off as a sympathetic ear:
    (4d10)[2][3][7][3](15) Manip/Socializing

Also Int/Bureaucracy to think on how far-reaching this could end up; like, can the Satrapy conscript whomever they wish? If the satrapy is keen on getting ANYBODY and can legally do so, she'd best figure this out and alert the others: (3d10)[8][8][9](25)

Last edited by tonberryking; 2018-09-23 at 03:13 PM.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

After drinking all his ale, Paw buys two more. He takes one drink for himself and second to some random man he was eyeing.

- Here, for you - he tried to be friendly - Tell me, what do you think of the new island? I have heard many theories, but nothing of true value. I'm from North, as you probably could quess from my accent. Surely you up here know more then we do in our part of Creation, right?

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    Mantis looked at the merchant, not speaking for a few moments.

"I know as a Tya I can't use the 'starving children' play Merchants often use," She said, "but I still have a ship to maintain and a crew to pay. Try triple of your offer and we can speak."
    “I add annadda half Talent to what I can pay, but I haf ta make profit myself.”

Quote Originally Posted by tonberryking View Post
    Carrying a small basket (ostensibly for the sundries she mentioned,) Pepper looks over at the unfortunate captain and with a voice tinged with faint sympathy approaches.

"Ah, pardon me, Good Captain, but did I hear you right?" Pepper's no actor but she can at least try to put up a front supported by half truths, "This sounds dreadful; I should alert my own ...ah.. master so they can see to their own ship crew, but why did he take half of yours? Just for exploring some new island?" she tries to leave things unsaid, perhaps to goad the captain, such as why the Satrapy is having man-power-problems to begin with. To her old life it sounds like a discipline and low moral issue, to say the least, but she isn't the Satrapy's master of arms. There could be other issues that would explain it.

Spoiler: OOC/Rolls
    Show

Another round of manipulation and socializing, hopefully I come off as a sympathetic ear:
    [roll0] Manip/Socializing

Also Int/Bureaucracy to think on how far-reaching this could end up; like, can the Satrapy conscript whomever they wish? If the satrapy is keen on getting ANYBODY and can legally do so, she'd best figure this out and alert the others: [roll1]

“Aye. Just came up, held swords to ‘em and led them off. Like criminals. Don’t know why, they’ve got plenty of men in ports further north. Though it could be the Tepets aren’t wanting to risk their own sailors on this until they find out what they’re up against.”

What he says sounds like it could make sense. Navies often press gang men into service to fill up ship complements whe they are short of sailors.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaworu View Post
    After drinking all his ale, Paw buys two more. He takes one drink for himself and second to some random man he was eyeing.

- Here, for you - he tried to be friendly - Tell me, what do you think of the new island? I have heard many theories, but nothing of true value. I'm from North, as you probably could quess from my accent. Surely you up here know more then we do in our part of Creation, right?
    The man eyes you warily. He grudgingly accepts the drink. He listens to your piece, and takes a long pull, draining half the glass in case you take it from him after he answers.

“That’s cause there ain’t no true value in anything. Nobody knows about the damn thing. Just appeared during Calibration, and no ones gone out there yet. Most are still pissing their britches at it.”

He takes another drink.

“And how’s you get here so fast if you came from the North to see this thing for yourself?” His tone became surly as he asked the question.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

22. - Top - End - #22

OrcBarbarianGuy

"He came from the North a long time ago friend."

Pale Ocean seats himself at the same table as Paw and the sailor.

Off in the background, Pale Ocean's companions entertain themselves sampling the food and drink, exotic to them even if others find it more mundane.

"We've been trading in the area for some time, and are very interested in looking into this Island that's appeared. Do you know if any of the sorcerers and thaumaturges in the city are planning expeditions or carried out scouting via elementals? I tried looking in on them earlier, but they were in a real state of excitement and did not have time to meet a lowly barbarian like myself."

Pale Ocean smiles, pushes up his crystal lenses, then slips out an ornate golden earring from his bag, placing it on the table close to the man's hand.

"I'm sure a man such as yourself would be able to do a little digging for us, given the proper motivation."

Show

Sorry for delay. Weekend was manic.

Let me know what I need to roll and I'll do it. For reference, I am Very charismatic and attractive, if a bit naive in certain ways.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"That's a start," Mantis said, "make it 3 talents for the lot and you have a deal."

Again she didn't use her powers to seal the deal. Kahewai had dealt with her fairly in the past, and she treated those fairly whom did the same to her. Those who tried to cheat her on the other hand...

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Kahewai looks over at Mantis. She gives the woman a hard look, appraising the sailor.

“Ya seem set on three Talents. But I won’ go more than two and a half. It’s more den fair.”

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Very well, 2 talents and a half," Mantis said, wanting to keep the merchant as a friend. And the amount would be enough to cover her expenses and generate some profit.
    "But I want one talent of it as its equivalent of silver," she said, wanting both of the common currencies. The Denzik valued silver, as did the guild (although they took jade without problem), but mostly in the neck they valued silver more than jade and you never know where they would end up.

"So, what do you know about that new island that apparently appeared out of nowhere," she asked next. Now that business was over, it was time to start thinking about the next business venture and doing that meant needing information.
    Last edited by farothel; 2018-09-25 at 06:52 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Paw leaned closer to Pal Ocean, whispering something in his ear.

- It seems to me than there are just rumors, nothing more. Nobody know what is that island and why it had appeared. Better to simply jump into action and explore ourselves than listen to the fools here - he said to his companion.

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Pepper takes this all in, thanking the captain for his time and with faint, all too shallow words of sympathy, she kicks up her skirts as she hastily quits the scene. She has to tell Mantis about this as soon as possible and the bustling maid hurries off, trying to remember where her captain was going.

Show

I realize without using her leaping powers--something I'm pretty sure would cause a ruckus-- that it may take a while to get back to where Farothel/Mantis are, so lemme know how this should proceed--unless of course Pepper runs into trouble along the way...

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan View Post
    "He came from the North a long time ago friend."

Pale Ocean seats himself at the same table as Paw and the sailor.

Off in the background, Pale Ocean's companions entertain themselves sampling the food and drink, exotic to them even if others find it more mundane.

"We've been trading in the area for some time, and are very interested in looking into this Island that's appeared. Do you know if any of the sorcerers and thaumaturges in the city are planning expeditions or carried out scouting via elementals? I tried looking in on them earlier, but they were in a real state of excitement and did not have time to meet a lowly barbarian like myself."

Pale Ocean smiles, pushes up his crystal lenses, then slips out an ornate golden earring from his bag, placing it on the table close to the man's hand.

"I'm sure a man such as yourself would be able to do a little digging for us, given the proper motivation."

Show

Sorry for delay. Weekend was manic.

Let me know what I need to roll and I'll do it. For reference, I am Very charismatic and attractive, if a bit naive in certain ways.

The man looks at the gold, looks up at Pale Ocean and smiles, showing his teeth. You note a few are missing.

“Yeah, sure. I can ask around a bit.”

He finishes his drink and moves to take the gold.

Show
    Wits + Socialize, please.

Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    "Very well, 2 talents and a half," Mantis said, wanting to keep the merchant as a friend. And the amount would be enough to cover her expenses and generate some profit.
    "But I want one talent of it as its equivalent of silver," she said, wanting both of the common currencies. The Denzik valued silver, as did the guild (although they took jade without problem), but mostly in the neck they valued silver more than jade and you never know where they would end up.

"So, what do you know about that new island that apparently appeared out of nowhere," she asked next. Now that business was over, it was time to start thinking about the next business venture and doing that meant needing information.
    “Of course.”

Once the business is done, and you ask about the island, the merchant merely shrugs. “You guess is as good as mine. Nobody knows anyting yet.”

Quote Originally Posted by tonberryking View Post
    Pepper takes this all in, thanking the captain for his time and with faint, all too shallow words of sympathy, she kicks up her skirts as she hastily quits the scene. She has to tell Mantis about this as soon as possible and the bustling maid hurries off, trying to remember where her captain was going.

Show

I realize without using her leaping powers--something I'm pretty sure would cause a ruckus-- that it may take a while to get back to where Farothel/Mantis are, so lemme know how this should proceed--unless of course Pepper runs into trouble along the way...
    “Nobody knows anyting yet.”

Pepper walks into the merchants store at this point in the conversation.

The first thing the young woman notices is the smell. Like rotten meat.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Then I think we're done here," Mantis said, seeing Pepper enter the shop, "unless you have something that needs being moved from point A to point B."

Then she turned to Pepper.
    "Just a moment, we're almost done here I think," she said the girl.
    Last edited by farothel; 2018-09-26 at 12:00 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Pepper's expression belies that there's more truth to Mantis' statement than she realizes. She dutifully waits however, at at the first moment she gets, the 'maid' whispers into her captain's ear:

"The Satrapy is conscripting everyone they can, not wanting to risk their own navy and ships against the new island," she says keeping pace with Mantis. "A sure sign we'd best make haste and leave before we're conscripted or before they get to the place themselves."