New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Yet another crafting question regarding discounts

Sorry if this was asked before, searched a bit but couldn't find anything specific. So,

need some help calculating the cost of crafting an item which has price of 1500 gp. Item creation feat lowers the price by 50%, and I have another 10% discount via craftsman. I want to make that item race specific and that should decrease the cost by another 30%. What is the final cost of making an item and why?

Thanks in advance for any info.

p.s.
    For D&D 3.5 Edition rules.
    Last edited by Zergh; 2018-09-18 at 03:21 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

Default Re: Yet another crafting question regarding discounts

1500/2=750
    40% of 750 is 300
    750-300=450

you can reduce that further in quite a number of ways, look at this giant handbook for that kind of info
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Thanks a lot for speedy reply. Let me try to see if I got it right on another item. I also want +5 bonus on skill check. Per rules, it is square of skill bonus * 100, that means item is worth 2500 gp.

That would mean

2500/2 = 1250
    40% of 1250 = 500
    1250 – 500 = 750 gp.

Noticed Extraordinary Artisan, with it's 25% reduction.

So, as a scroll of 3rd lvl (375 gp) as an example:
    375/2 = 187,5
    10% (Craftsman) + 25% (Ex.A. feat) = 35% of 187,5 = 65,6
    187,5-65,6 = 122 gp per scroll?

Or, as a previous example with item of 1500 gp.

1500/2 = 750
    10% (Craftsman) + 25% (Ex. Art. feat) + 30% (Race specific) = 65% of 750 = 487,5
    Final price 750-487,5 = 262,5

Is this right?
    Last edited by Zergh; 2018-09-18 at 04:27 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

yup, but i'd clarify it w/ your DM regardless, they may have other ideas as to how crafting works in their world, and whether or not any of those discounts apply
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

I was under the impression that several % reducers stacked multiplicatively, not additively, eg -40% + -10% = -44%, not -50%.
    Known among friends as "Ogres"

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    ...so as we can see, no internal consistency from WotC (unsurprising).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    I was under the impression that several % reducers stacked multiplicatively, not additively, eg -40% + -10% = -44%, not -50%.
    So, with race specific item (30%) discount, Extraordinary Artisan (25%) and Craftsman (10%) total discount would be 30 % * 1.25 * 1.1 = 41.25 %?

For mentioned item
    1500/2 = 750 gp
    30% (Race specific) + 25% (Ex. Art. feat) + 10% (Craftsman) = 41,25% of 750 = 309,4
    750- 309,4 = 440,6 gp

For 3rd level scroll:
    375/2=187,5
    25% (Ex. Art. feat) + 10% (Craftsman) = 27,5% of 187,5 = 51,56
    187,5 - 51,5 = 136 gp per scroll

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zergh View Post
    So, with race specific item (30%) discount, Extraordinary Artisan (25%) and Craftsman (10%) total discount would be 30 % * 1.25 * 1.1 = 41.25 %?

For mentioned item
    1500/2 = 750 gp
    30% (Race specific) + 25% (Ex. Art. feat) + 10% (Craftsman) = 41,25% of 750 = 309,4
    750- 309,4 = 440,6 gp

For 3rd level scroll:
    375/2=187,5
    25% (Ex. Art. feat) + 10% (Craftsman) = 27,5% of 187,5 = 51,56
    187,5 - 51,5 = 136 gp per scroll
    I suppose so. Not sure if multiplicative stacking is how it actually works, but I think it is. Makes sense that they wouldn't want the possibility of reducing the cost to 0%.
    Known among friends as "Ogres"

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    ...so as we can see, no internal consistency from WotC (unsurprising).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I suppose so. Not sure if multiplicative stacking is how it actually works, but I think it is. Makes sense that they wouldn't want the possibility of reducing the cost to 0%.
    The rule is that real-world things that actually exist in the game world like distance, time, and the like use normal math, and abstract values like damage and such use special rules:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD, Multiplying
    Sometimes a rule makes you multiply a number or a die roll. As long as you’re applying a single multiplier, multiply the number normally. When two or more multipliers apply to any abstract value (such as a modifier or a die roll), however, combine them into a single multiple, with each extra multiple adding 1 less than its value to the first multiple. Thus, a double (×2) and a double (×2) applied to the same number results in a triple (×3, because 2 + 1 = 3).

When applying multipliers to real-world values (such as weight or distance), normal rules of math apply instead. A creature whose size doubles (thus multiplying its weight by 8) and then is turned to stone (which would multiply its weight by a factor of roughly 3) now weighs about 24 times normal, not 10 times normal. Similarly, a blinded creature attempting to negotiate difficult terrain would count each square as 4 squares (doubling the cost twice, for a total multiplier of ×4), rather than as 3 squares (adding 100% twice).
    Gold costs are concrete rather than abstract, so they would indeed stack multiplicatively. As well, the "special stacking rules" are just a fancy way to say only consider the base values (x2 and x2 is x3 because "x2" is supposed to mean "+100% of the base value," so doing that twice gives you "+200% of the base value," thus 300%, thus x3), and that logic doesn't work so well when you're subtracting things, otherwise as you noted you can quickly get to 0% cost or even negatives.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

It's worth noting that the Unbound Scroll's Master Scribe ability explicitly stacks additively with the cost-reducing Artisan feats.
    Not exactly a general rule but it's at least one example against multiplicative stacking.