New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Suddenly you can have a class in real world, but only 1 level. Which one you choo

I'd choose artificer, with no xp costs and the spell storing infusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Suddenly you can have a class in real world, but only 1 level. Which one you choo

Quote Originally Posted by Falontani View Post
    I'd choose artificer, with no xp costs and the spell storing infusion.
    How do you get more craft points after you spend them all?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sordahon View Post
    For fairness sake let's say that if you are spellcaster you get all cantrips + three 1st level spells and you do not need materials to cast those first level spells nor do you pay xp if it's needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    How do you get more craft points after you spend them all?
    I'm guessing that she just doesn't pay XP costs at all, ever, so she doesn't worry about XP.

But if the XP exception were only intended to apply to casting (not crafting), then the XP normally consumed by the spell storing infusion would be the goal of her build.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Halfling in the Playground

Actually, look at first post. He edited it to say no monster classes.

5. - Top - End - #35

Since text trumps table, something I should point out about the artificer is that you get a LOT more than what the table says you do.

Ahem.

Quote Originally Posted by Eberron Campaign Setting, pg 33
    Bonus Feat: An artificer gains every item creation feat as a bonus feat at or near the level at which it becomes available to spellcasters.
    Yes, that includes all the non-Core ones available in the campaign, far more than what is shown on the table. It also includes the [Item Creation] feats present in the Eberron books, such as all of the cost-reduction feats (Exceptional/Extraordinary/Legendary Artisan) for every other [Item Creation] feat you get.

There's Attune Gem, Attune Magical Weapon, Bind Elemental, Brew Potion, Construct Grafter, Craft Aboleth Glyph, Craft Alchemical Item, Craft Cognizance Crystal, Craft Construct, Craft Contingent Spell, Craft Crystal Capacitor, Craft Crystal Weapon, Craft Dorje, Craft Epic Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Epic Rod, Craft Epic Staff, Craft Epic Wondrous Item, Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Masterwork Armor, Craft Masterwork Ranged Weapon, Craft Masterwork Weapon, Craft Psionic Arms and Armor, Craft Psionic Construct, Craft Psionic Seal, Craft Rod, Craft Rune Circle, Crafted Scepter, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

And again, remember that every single one of those has the Artisan feats attached to them.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2018-09-18 at 05:12 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

There's Attune Gem, Attune Magical Weapon, Bind Elemental, Brew Potion, Construct Grafter, Craft Aboleth Glyph, Craft Alchemical Item, Craft Cognizance Crystal, Craft Construct, Craft Contingent Spell, Craft Crystal Capacitor, Craft Crystal Weapon, Craft Dorje, Craft Epic Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Epic Rod, Craft Epic Staff, Craft Epic Wondrous Item, Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Masterwork Armor, Craft Masterwork Ranged Weapon, Craft Masterwork Weapon, Craft Psionic Arms and Armor, Craft Psionic Construct, Craft Psionic Seal, Craft Rod, Craft Rune Circle, Crafted Scepter, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

And again, remember that every single one of those has the Artisan feats attached to them.
    For the purpose of this thread, do you happen to know which would come free specifically at 1st level?

Scribe Scroll obviously, but that's already on the Artificer class table.

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    For the purpose of this thread, do you happen to know which would come free specifically at 1st level?

Scribe Scroll obviously, but that's already on the Artificer class table.
    We'd have to go through the whole list and figure out which ones are available to a spellcaster at level 1, then add those in.

Note that the artificer's effective caster level for prereqs is his artificer level +2, and as far as I can parse, that counts for [Item Creation] feat prereqs, as well. So at 1st level, his caster level counts as 3 for the purposes of [Item Creation] feats.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2018-09-18 at 05:38 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sordahon View Post
    Any class from any manual, which one would you choose? Which would bring you most power/benefits? Could it be cleric that can heal even life threatning injuries? Or perhaps a druid to be more one with nature and have loyal friend? Wizard who could be perfect assasin with disguise self? Maybe a linguist that knows all languages with Language Comprehension?

For fairness sake let's say that if you are spellcaster you get all cantrips + three 1st level spells and you do not need materials to cast those first level spells nor do you pay xp if it's needed.

@edit no monster class and race shananigans.
    This seems familiar (note: the most recent of those died down in February; please do not necro). And my answer's there.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Since text trumps table, something I should point out about the artificer is that you get a LOT more than what the table says you do.

Ahem.

Yes, that includes all the non-Core ones available in the campaign, far more than what is shown on the table. It also includes the [Item Creation] feats present in the Eberron books, such as all of the cost-reduction feats (Exceptional/Extraordinary/Legendary Artisan) for every other [Item Creation] feat you get.

I truly wish you were correct, however before this gets out of hand I will finish your quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Eberron Campaign Setting page 32
    Bonus Feat: An artificer gains every item creation feat as a bonus feat at or near the level at which it becomes available to spellcasters. He gets Scribe Scroll as a bonus feat at 1st level, Brew Potion at 2nd level, Craft Wondrous Item at 3rd level, Craft Magic Arms and Armor at 5th level, Craft Wand at 7th level, Craft Rod at 9th level, Craft Staff at 12th level, and Forge Ring at 14th level.

In addition, an artificer gains a bonus feat at 4th level and every four levels thereafter (8th, 12th, 16th, and 20th). For each of these bonus feats, the artificer must choose a metamagic feat or a feat from the following list: Attune Magic Weapon, Craft Construct (see the Monster Manual, page 303), Exceptional Artisan, Extra Rings, Extraordinary Artisan, Legendary Artisan, Wand Mastery.
    Your quote goes on to mention every single feat that it grants, and unfortunately the bonus feats do not even grant access to all the other crafting feats as bonus feats.

Finally the Psionic Artificer (magic of Eberron) switches out all the base crafting feats that it grants for the psionic equivalents. Now with just that sentence there... you could definitely make an argument, however reading the list of bonus feats it does mention that Craft Construct is a choice, not one that is automatically given. And in the Player's Guide to Eberron (iirc) it lists Epic Artificer, and does not grant artificer the epic crafting feats as free feats, although does add them to the list of epic feats they can choose from.
    Last edited by Falontani; 2018-09-18 at 10:11 PM. Reason: as for the page disparity, I have no clue, I'd take a pic of my book, but that isn't a good idea
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

10. - Top - End - #40

I truly wish you were correct, however before this gets out of hand I will finish your quote

Your quote goes on to mention every single feat that it grants, and unfortunately the bonus feats do not even grant access to all the other crafting feats as bonus feats.
    There's no way the writer(s) could possibly know what all sources any given person is going to have access to in any given campaign, so they mainly gave the Core feats. And who's to say that the feats section was even finished by the time the artificer was written? They might not even have known what additional feats would be available, which would explain why there aren't more.

As it stands, that could easily be considered an example list. It does definitively state that artificers gain all [Item Creation] feats. And then it gives a list of the ones they definitely expect to be there. Beyond that, there's no real way to judge it from a RAW standpoint. Your DM should definitely consider how to rule it if there are additional sources available, though, since not being able to craft skull talismans when they're available to craft seems weird for a class specializing in being able to craft everything.

Finally the Psionic Artificer (magic of Eberron) switches out all the base crafting feats that it grants for the psionic equivalents. Now with just that sentence there... you could definitely make an argument, however reading the list of bonus feats it does mention that Craft Construct is a choice, not one that is automatically given. And in the Player's Guide to Eberron (iirc) it lists Epic Artificer, and does not grant artificer the epic crafting feats as free feats, although does add them to the list of epic feats they can choose from.
    Yeah, that's weird, and it definitely doesn't jive with the extremely explicit statement of "artificers gain all item creation feats as bonus feats." Looks like an oversight, to me.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Unchained Summoner. The eidolon is the big draw here, a faithful companion with human intelligence and concrete knowledge of another plane of existence. Other summoned monsters are nice to have in a pinch, and even the cantrips (specifically mending) would be a life-changer.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I choose the 17th level from monk class - for Timeless Body & Tongue of the Sun and Moon (no old age penalties + talk with anyone)

what ? nobody said we had to take the 1st level
    Last edited by JyP; 2018-09-19 at 02:49 AM.
    here is my Signature stuff

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Arkon View Post
    Unchained Summoner. The eidolon is the big draw here, a faithful companion with human intelligence and concrete knowledge of another plane of existence. Other summoned monsters are nice to have in a pinch, and even the cantrips (specifically mending) would be a life-changer.
    Considering most repairs are relatively minor (like chipped windshields, and fried motherboards), at least in regards to what would be considered 'hit points', so you would probably be incredibly thankful for mending. That would actually probably be a really dang big money maker for any entrepreneur.

==

As for my class, I'd pick Life-focused Incanter from Spheres of Power, taking Medicinal and Slow Recovery drawbacks for 2 more Life talents. Then spend the bonus feat on Extra Magical Talent. Then I take the 2 feats I get for being a level 1 human in Extra Magical Talent.

Now I have 9 Life sphere talents, including reviving the recently dead, and healing any non-fatal injury in a minute, and doing away with any affliction, including Paralysis and Blindness. I have now become the most successful doctor in the world.

(This is actually overheal, and could easily use feats on Extra Spell Points so I could heal more times per day. Or do away with Slow Recovery and be able to heal someone who's basically been ripped to shreds by 15 ban saws before they die.)
    Last edited by SangoProduction; 2018-09-19 at 03:03 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

anything that lets me gain the spell Prestidigitation, and if i can take a feat at that 1st level, it'd be hidden talent - psionic minor creation.

I am equally the best restaurant/store/cleaning service and about a 100 other things all at the same time. I'd bankrupt half the corporations on earth and then reign supreme.
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2018-09-19 at 04:56 AM.
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

If I only get one level ever, then I'd go with sorcerer. Prestigitation and mending with more cantrip slots than the wizard. Seems like my best option. Plus, I get bluff as a class skill with naturally high charisma, and in a non-D&D, purely social world, that's possibly even more valuable than the spells.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

16. - Top - End - #46
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd want something with a large spell list that I can prepare from freely (druid, cleric) because that's a lot more valuable than a wizard's limited list since the wizard can't level up or find scrolls to get more spells. I suppose artificer with spell storing infusion is the best choice since you can get any first level spell instead of just divine ones. You can also make up to 3rd level scrolls with a little cheese (depending on how wealth for crafting works). Healing is a big one, especially removing disease (more common cause of death than assassins, I bet). I'd also want to grab some form of immortality if I could. Those dragmag feats are available from level 1, but I haven't been alive for 3000 years yet (shocker, I know) so I don't think I qualify.
    Known among friends as "Ogres"

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    ...so as we can see, no internal consistency from WotC (unsurprising).

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    This seems familiar (note: the most recent of those died down in February; please do not necro). And my answer's there.
    Yeah, but those make the assumption that you'll get more levels. This thread explicitly doesn't. So different - more different than 4e D&D classes

Quote Originally Posted by JyP View Post
    I choose the 17th level from monk class - for Timeless Body & Tongue of the Sun and Moon (no old age penalties + talk with anyone)

what ? nobody said we had to take the 1st level
    Bloody brilliant.
    Last edited by Quertus; 2018-09-19 at 06:38 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Bugbear in the Playground

Bog standard cleric. At the risk of dooming our world to the whim of the suddenly REAL gods of our world (and I'll note that the gods of the roundworld that we inhabit aren't as... nice, shall we say, compared to your standard fantasy ones), the ability to magically heal the injured is amazing.

Someone has a stab wound? STAY STILL, MY BROTHER IN ARMS, BECAUSE BY THE POWER OF DICE ROLL, YE SHALL BE HEALED!

Also the general utility spells, the orisons/cantrip-equivalents are pretty rad. Like, just for starters, you can pretty much purify enough drinking water from the sea to survive a lot longer than most should you be marooned on an island somewhere. It's not great, but if I'm ever really struggling to survive, clerics will eke out an existence.

For first level spells, I'd take...

1. Comprehend languages- a bit of an indulgence, but this would mainly be to help me create a working record of my family's language, kutchi, which seems to be dying really fast because nobody can be bothered teaching it to the younger generations.

2. Cure light wounds (assuming I can't convert a otherwise prepared spell (not sure how clerics work as I've never played one) into a cure spell). Obvious utility there. Being a miracle healer is worth its cost in gold, imo.

3. Command. Mind control, even basic, limited, mind control once per day, is very useful. The range of it is enough that I can cast it on a target that doesn't hear me, probably. If nothing else, it can be a conversation starter if I was a horrible person and wanted to mess with people to make them like me eventually.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Bugbear in the Playground

I would have to choose Hedgewitch (from Spheres of Power), with the Spiritualism hedgewitch tradition and Martial Hedgewitch archetype.

20. - Top - End - #50

If I could only gain one level and never gain any more via actual leveling (discounting weird stuff like lycanthropy and whatnot), I'd go easy bake wizard 20 with a number of ACFs. Refluffed Dragonwrought kobold (as mentioned previously), if possible, or humanesque warforged, if not.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2018-09-19 at 12:11 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

Regardless of your class, prestigidation and mending can be obtained via the feat 'magical training,' which gives you 3 0-level slots / day, and 2 or 3 cantrips known (2 if you choose spontaneous cha-based, 3 for prepared int-casting).

Note that the OP mentions that "if you can cast, you know all cantrips and 3 1st level spells," so technically this feat gives you all that as well (1st level slots sold separately). Something something precocious apprentice too.

===

My 1st choice: the 12th level of dragon ascendant:

Immortality: A 12th-level dragon ascendant is actually a quasi-deity*, and can no longer die from natural causes. It does not need to eat, sleep, or breathe. It can still be slain in physical or magical combat, and it is still subject to death from massive damage.

*(See also the benefits of having divine rank 0: 60' base movement speed; immune to transmutation, energy drain, ability drain, ability damage, mind-affecting effects; fire resistance 5, DR 10/epic, SR 32, immortal. Possible room for promotion via worship?).

===

All shenanigans aside, I'd choose artificer, due to having access to 2nd level spells of every possible list..

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Definitely Mesmerist. Vanish? Disguise Self? Charm Person? An irresistible, at-will stare that saps will saves? As Celestia said, we live in a social world, so why not one of the best level 1 enchanters?

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Warlock, taking Beguiling Influence as my invocation. Probably the most generally-useful skill bump for my real-world concerns.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Warlock, taking Beguiling Influence as my invocation. Probably the most generally-useful skill bump for my real-world concerns.
    That's a solid idea.

Dragonfire Adept might be even better for that purpose, since it gets the same invocation, but no alignment restriction.

DFA also gets d8 HD and 4+Int skill points (instead of d6 / 2+Int), a free feat (Dragontouched, which is another +1 HP and some other minor stuff), and you can breathe fire. Think about the high-proof party tricks you'd be able to pull off!

25. - Top - End - #55

Any class with repeatable magic tricks could also net you a large amount of money from proving you have actual supernatural abilities, as well.

Assuming you're willing to expose yourself to the world, anyway.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2018-09-20 at 11:52 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Any class with repeatable magic tricks could also net you a large amount of money, as well.

Assuming you're willing to expose yourself to the world, anyway.
    There's that one Egoist ACF which gets you an at-will non-illusory disguise self.

You could disguise yourself as other people and expose them, instead.

This could be a whole new frontier for fake celebrity porn.

27. - Top - End - #57

There's that one Egoist ACF which gets you an at-will non-illusory disguise self.

You could disguise yourself as other people and expose them, instead.
    Fun thing is, you can use that as your magic trick. They wouldn't even be able to prove who it was they gave the money to.

This could be a whole new frontier for fake celebrity porn.
    Read a fanfic where polyjuice was used for that against the DNA-donator's wishes.

It didn't turn out well.

28. - Top - End - #58

Well, hmmm... There's a few homebrew classes that taking the capstone for would be handy.

Barring that, there's a few homebrew classes that taking the first level would be sufficient for immortality.

Barring that - or, better yet, in addition to the above - I think I can get most of my needs through Sculpt Self. Class becomes much less relevant at that point.

Admittedly, Artificer probably does the job better.

29. - Top - End - #59

Planetar

Nexus, an akashic class from "Akashic trinity" by Ssalarn.
    First level it brings a good Fortitude and Will save, one veil and one essence, the list of veils to select from is massive.
    Also a have an at will ray attack that deals piercing damage. I also get a Convergence, basically, I can attune myself to an Outer Plane.
    In my case it'll probably be the Underworld (at least at the moment, but I hope some other Outer Planes will be added). And by this a can also make my ray do cold damage instead of piercing with a stagger-rider.

Pretty good

30. - Top - End - #60

RogueGuy

Well, it seems as if we are assuming that we can take one specific level from any class... in that case: Dragonfire Adept 11.

Also assuming that we only get what is available at that level, that gets a 6d6 cone or line of fire, and 5 greater invocations (arguably the best level for those!)

Aura of Flame; Baleful Geas; Chilling Fog; Draconic Toughness; Terrifying Roar
    If we are allowed to take lower level invocation (least, lesser), the replace Aura of Flame, Draconic Toughness, and Terrifying Roar with Draconic Knowledge, Draconic Flight, and Walk Unseen.
    Edit: Oh yeah! Since it seems we can also take feats, Extra Invocation for All-Seeing Eyes. Know-all-the-things + Read-all-the-languages = Ultimate Researcher!

If, however, we are supposed to be looking only at the first level, then I'd probably still go Dragonfire Adept with Draconic Knowledge.
    Last edited by Rijan_Sai; 2018-09-20 at 02:56 PM.
    Remember, posting links to TVTropes is Vile.
    Spoiler: Fun Quotes (Spoiled for Length)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    You are vile and I will link this post randomly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haley
    Imagining getting it on atop a mountain of coins still technically counts as thinking about you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    Humans are weird.

I'm Bad, and that's good. I will never be Good, and that's not bad. There is no one I'd rather be then me. ~Bad Guy Affirmation
    Unofficial (Self-titled) Spokes person for the Unofficial TOB Errata
    Now a Vestige!