New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: EU to end daylight savings time

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Anyone who has family living in another time zone or, perish the thought, multiple time zones have to think about it fairly often and that's a fair larger amount than you'd expect. Add to that people have friends outside their own country and time zones become a real hassle. Making sure I can play video games with my friends in the Netherlands is a logistic nightmare and if I don't wake up early, I won't get to speak to my parents because they're old and like to wake up at the crack of dawn
    But all of that is because the time of day is different where they are, not because the clock is different. Even if their clocks said the same as yours do that wouldn't change, unless you're expecting half the world to get up in the middle of the night?

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    But all of that is because the time of day is different where they are, not because the clock is different. Even if their clocks said the same as yours do that wouldn't change, unless you're expecting half the world to get up in the middle of the night?
    Yes. That's how timezones work. I am more than aware of that.

Manga asserted that people really only worry about their Local Time and it's fringe people that need to worry about other people's local times relative to theirs. Which isn't true. I wasn't making any point on a standard time zone.

But yes. If it's 2am here and 2am in New Delhi at the same time you'd either have to make people work later in the day to get more sunlight (which is a terrible idea for all sorts of reasons) or force people to work when the sun is down. Which is also not a great idea. It's why a standard time is a terrible idea and exactly what most of us were responding to that prompted Manga's assertion.
    Last edited by Razade; 2019-04-02 at 05:29 AM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I guess living in Germany I would get lucky if this change ever happened but if we decided to pick another meridian for utc, say somewhere in Asia because population I would not care if my new day was waking up at 12am, going to work at 2am, getting home at 10am etc.
    You may not care, but by the same token what exactly would you gain from it? You'd still need to care about timezones if dealing with people in a different one.

I'll tell you something you'd lose, though. There's a vast body of culture - basically, approximately every book, film, game, whatever written to date - that includes the baseline assumption that noon/midday happens at 12:00 and midnight at another 12:00. Of course this isn't always, or even often, particularly relevant to the story, but it's built into the culture on the same way as the assumption that sugar is sweet and wood is flammable. Change it, and every future person in every country is going to be that bit more cut off from all human culture to date.

And frankly the gap between our world and our parents' is already uncomfortably wide for my liking.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

4. - Top - End - #124
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    You may not care, but by the same token what exactly would you gain from it? You'd still need to care about timezones if dealing with people in a different one.

I'll tell you something you'd lose, though. There's a vast body of culture - basically, approximately every book, film, game, whatever written to date - that includes the baseline assumption that noon/midday happens at 12:00 and midnight at another 12:00. Of course this isn't always, or even often, particularly relevant to the story, but it's built into the culture on the same way as the assumption that sugar is sweet and wood is flammable. Change it, and every future person in every country is going to be that bit more cut off from all human culture to date.

And frankly the gap between our world and our parents' is already uncomfortably wide for my liking.
    To make a comparison, think about how difficult it has become to understand things like "the first hour" (6:00) or "the ninth hour" (15:00).
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

5. - Top - End - #125
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    To make a comparison, think about how difficult it has become to understand things like "the first hour" (6:00) or "the ninth hour" (15:00).
    Or the revulsion so many people get when you use a 24-hour clock. People are PROUD of not using "military time". Only people prouder are those who don't know math and old people "who don't know computers."
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2019-04-02 at 10:39 AM.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    As I said above, north-south is also a consideration. I'm surprised Belgium is big enough for that to be a thing there.
    It actually isn't, but there's a lot of politics and history at play here and I won't go into detail, since it's way too long to explain (in as much as I understand it all myself) and it's also against forum rules.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

7. - Top - End - #127
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Or the revulsion so many people get when you use a 24-hour clock. People are PROUD of not using "military time". Only people prouder are those who don't know math and old people "who don't know computers."
    And people who don't do metric.
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2019-04-02 at 11:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    And people who don't do metric.
    And a significant overlap between the groups I imagine.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    And a significant overlap between the groups I imagine.
    Or we're suffering from inertia.

As an example, I cannot do science in Imperial measurements - foot pounds? [Board inappropriate comment] that, give me joules anyway.

However I cannot get a frame of reference for body weights and heights in metric. Calculating population statistics and BMI, metric all the way, but telling me you're 90 kilos and 1.75 m, I have to convert that to stone and feet, then I know what you're on about (14 st 2lb and 5' 9" incidentally, so a fairly chunky individual).

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Meh. When you think of the sorts of things that tend to excite "pride", those traits seem to fit right in. People are proud of the country they were born in, the language they grew up speaking, the recipes they cook and/or eat, the schools they go to, the teams they cheer for...

Being "proud" isn't so much a matter of thinking you're better than anyone else. It's more a statement of individuality, "this is me, like it or not is up to you, just don't forget I'm here".
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    but telling me you're 90 kilos and 1.75 m, I have to convert that to stone and feet, then I know what you're on about (14 st 2lb and 5' 9" incidentally, so a fairly chunky individual).
    How did you know that?

And who you calling chunky, twig?

Although I've not checked the scales ina bit, may be a tad over 95 atm. I amy have to conceed the chunky part.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2019-04-08 at 02:44 AM.