New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 49 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Banned

Default Re: Goblins XVII: The shocking end of the story arc

Quote Originally Posted by Typewriter View Post
    Just imagine how cool and moving of a moment this would be for the comic and character if it wasn't already considered par for the course going into it. Like, if Roy had to permanently maim himself in OoTs to save the day it would be huge. Instead we just sort of expect people to maim themselves to be able to wear a hat.
    Yeah, it's a character defining moment that's greatly overshadowed because we all saw it coming a month ago since the author will basically never pass up an opportunity to draw mutilation and gore.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Titan in the Playground

honestly i kinda just figured that Goblin heads and Human heads were both roughly the same size...

Mmm... width-wise maybe. Minmax does seem to have a taller head then most of them. Only exception being Complains.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #663
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Yeah, it's a character defining moment that's greatly overshadowed because we all saw it coming a month ago since the author will basically never pass up an opportunity to draw mutilation and gore.
    I had sorta hoped that was mainly a Thunt issue and Ellie would tone down on things.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

4. - Top - End - #664

I've been following Goblins for a while and this is honestly the first time one of the mutilations has really made me uncomfortable. I'm still not sure if it's because it's self-inflicted, if it's just the type of gore or, like the person above me said, because it's ultimately so Ears can wear a hat.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

5. - Top - End - #665
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Agi Hammerthief View Post
    I had sorta hoped that was mainly a Thunt issue and Ellie would tone down on things.
    In this case, I think the pacing and dramatic timing of this is far more of a problem than the act itself. Its IMO a little bit contrived that it was necessary to use a dungeon gimmick of all things.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #666
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thunt is a pen name anyway. It's like getting mad because you say Mark Twain instead of Samuel Langhorne Clemens, or calling Rich the Giant, and plenty of authors have had multiple pen names. We all know who is being talked about. No one is meaning any offence, it's not deadnaming, as I understand the concept. Does it really matter? It's kinda hard to keep remembering it unless I'm seeing it a lot.

I don't even understand why she felt the need to change it. Causes needless confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    A cruel GM with no interest in playing fair?
    Honestly, I feel it's more likely that you could keep using it after someone else has done so. So Complains and Thaco could possibly keep trading off between each other. Alternatively, there might be a timer. You can only use it once per hour or something.

Unfortunately, there is no real way to test this beforehand.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2019-10-16 at 02:33 PM.

7. - Top - End - #667

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    I've been following Goblins for a while and this is honestly the first time one of the mutilations has really made me uncomfortable. I'm still not sure if it's because it's self-inflicted, if it's just the type of gore or, like the person above me said, because it's ultimately so Ears can wear a hat.
    Well, to be fair, it was a very nice hat.

Kidding, of course. And to be honest I'm not personally 'uncomfortable' with it. More just... disappointed. I mean, it's one thing for me to not care because I'm desensitized to the comics obsession with treating the characters like trash but it feels as if the story doesn't even care. It happened but was of so low importance that it was the second half of a page all about how Kore is able to masquerade as a Paladin. Everything just happens so slowly (and I'm not just talking about the release schedule - it's the number of pages that it takes to do every little thing and then it just winds up being pointless. About fifteen pages of finding the Golem and fighting Kore (again) and it's all just to maim one character and tell us that Kore is torturing souls inside of himself.

I don't know, I'm just whining at this point.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    Thunt is a pen name anyway.
    It's the first letter of her old first name concatenated onto her old last name.

Had she not transitioned, it would be about as much of a "pen name" as J. R. R. Tolkien or J. K. Rowling.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2019-10-16 at 05:47 PM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, while this is a gory page, I think that the gore is still in the backseat compared to other scenes, and I like this. I mean, compared to those scenes about people staring into their death without any chance to act. Now sure, one can object that this is the wrong way to put gore in the backseat, but it still better fits my tastes.

It's probably not going to happen during the run of Goblins, but it's possible to depict a scene like this without actually depicting the gore. I wonder how much of Goblins could have been "sanitised" without losing steam. Goblins isn't really epic fantasy, it also isn't drama nor a parody. It has had elements of all of these genres, but it's actually a horror comic. Its general mood can be compared to the bleakness of e.g. Night of the Living Dead (and the backlash it received*). So it needs some, well, horror and gore. But this scene isn't meant to cause horror, I think. It's more of a Gothic/medieval scene with the apparition of a loved dead giving guidance and asking for help.

*One reason why Night of the Living Dead was panned was that its content was unexpected, because, until then, horror films were normally watched by little children and were "funny scary". Goblins first deceives the reader into thinking it's a parody of RPG tropes, then goes dirt biking into Guinea Pig territory.

I am now wondering about how Goblin ears function. They never had holes in them, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

10. - Top - End - #670
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I am now wondering about how Goblin ears function. They never had holes in them, right?
    Ell mentioned it on twitter. he can still hear fine, as those were effectively just really big earlobes. things might be a little fuzzy though.

And hey, remember Dies Horribly's arm, Kin's tail, and Complains' hand? Track record suggests he'll get some form of replacement eventually. magical, mechanical, or otherwise.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #671
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    like i just said, not every magic item re-sizes.

even if this helmet does, it could easily be a case of it re-sizing to fit a small creature, but because of his big ears, his head isn't appropriately small-sized.
    I could easily see helmets not fitting or needing to be one size larger as a character flaw one could take at creation considering minmax's character sheet. Actually I can think of other games where that actually is a downside like Pillars of Eternity.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

12. - Top - End - #672

I think this post (made on September 29 on the Goblins fan forum) is relevant to some of the discussion above:

Quote Originally Posted by WearsHats
    Digging this back up, since this is the place to relay important information for those who don't read Twitter.

Today is Elli's birthday! :confetti: :confetti: :confetti:

However, today also marks the day that, as she's said a few times on Twitter, it is no longer acceptable to her to use her old "dead names." Tarol, Hunt, and Thunt are all in the past. She's Elli Stephens now, and will be using that name both personally and professionally. The old names are part of a chapter of her life that's closed now. Please respect that.
    Whether you want to respect her wishes or not is of course up to everyone individually.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

13. - Top - End - #673
    Ogre in the Playground

I know I've already said it twice in this thread, but I still believe that the helmet does resize to fit the wearer's head. And it does fit Ear's head, as proven by the fact he can wear the helmet fine without his ears in the way. The resizing just doesn't adapt to giant earlobes, presumably because the creator didn't think to make a case-by-case exception to the rule for them.

14. - Top - End - #674

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    I know I've already said it twice in this thread, but I still believe that the helmet does resize to fit the wearer's head. And it does fit Ear's head, as proven by the fact he can wear the helmet fine without his ears in the way. The resizing just doesn't adapt to giant earlobes, presumably because the creator didn't think to make a case-by-case exception to the rule for them.
    Elli herself said on twitter that not all magic items resize. While she doesn't directly say the helmet doesn't resize, it is heavily implied from context.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

15. - Top - End - #675
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe it's like a "realistic" version of the Oots art style where head sizes are about the same between humanoids (or, at least, Medium and Small humanoids) and the difference in size is entirely due to body proportions.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Whether or not its plausible in-universe for this specific item to not change size is, I think, beside the point. Its a moment where the stage setting got caught in the shot. It takes us out of the story by making us go "oh, right, this is a work of fiction being written to fill the writer's specific desire." It makes the doyalistic reason for the event happening more visible than the watsonian reason. That's generally not a good thing to do while actively telling the story.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

17. - Top - End - #677
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Whether or not its plausible in-universe for this specific item to not change size is, I think, beside the point. Its a moment where the stage setting got caught in the shot. It takes us out of the story by making us go "oh, right, this is a work of fiction being written to fill the writer's specific desire." It makes the doyalistic reason for the event happening more visible than the watsonian reason. That's generally not a good thing to do while actively telling the story.
    really? how so?

personally i think it would have been more separating to have this helmet that is clearly made of some kind of metal, somehow grow in size to fit one person's spesific comically oversized ears.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #678
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

really? how so?

personally i think it would have been more separating to have this helmet that is clearly made of some kind of metal, somehow grow in size to fit one person's spesific comically oversized ears.
    Because we've already had magic items fit people they weren't made for. Minmax's armor, various magical doodads picked up in that one alternate reality dungeon whose name I cant recall, etc... "The loot just fits" is such a staple of fantasy works, and D&D in particular, that I wouldn't think it needs explaining. Also, its explicitly magic. A resizing helmet isn't any more unusual than one that lets you control a stone statue.

19. - Top - End - #679
    Troll in the Playground

Because we've already had magic items fit people they weren't made for. Minmax's armor, various magical doodads picked up in that one alternate reality dungeon whose name I cant recall, etc... "The loot just fits" is such a staple of fantasy works, and D&D in particular, that I wouldn't think it needs explaining. Also, its explicitly magic. A resizing helmet isn't any more unusual than one that lets you control a stone statue.
    Ironically, the reason for resizing magic items is very doylist, since conforming to player characters was the sole reason of introducing it. It just became so integrated with any game setting that we almost take it for granted. From the in-setting perspective it looks quite different: magic items are valuable, so they are never mass-produced. More often then not, they are made for specific users (either comissioned by wealthy people or made for oneself or fellow adventurers). If made for sale, it would still be made most likely with a specific type of humanoid users in mind. Would elves ever made an item that could be used by both themselves and for example halflings? If they knew significant enough halfling, they would make an item specifically for that person.

Nobody makes items to misplace them in random dungeons and think of who might stumble across them a few centuries later. Even moreso, noone would go to additional efforts to accomodate those random strangers. The only possible reason for resizing equipment would be inteligent creatures with significant transformation abilities. How many species do we have that fit the bill? Could they be responsible for vast majority of magic item production?
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

20. - Top - End - #680
    Titan in the Playground

Minmax's armor is likely designed to fit any general Human, maybe even Elves or Dwarves with some adjustment of straps and bindings. We don't even know for sure if that armor was designed to fit female humans, it may specifically be designed for human males, we don't know.

Even if that's not the case, i'm sure the armor wouldn't conveniently fit if Minmax had say, four arms, or a pair of wings sprouting from his back. He'd at the very least need to modify it in order to accommodate his needs, which is something Big-ears just can't do with a solid metal helmet.

I severely doubt that his armor would conveniently fit the tall blue Minmax or the Nianderthal Minmax.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #681
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Minmax's armor is likely designed to fit any general Human, maybe even Elves or Dwarves with some adjustment of straps and bindings. We don't even know for sure if that armor was designed to fit female humans, it may specifically be designed for human males, we don't know.

Even if that's not the case, i'm sure the armor wouldn't conveniently fit if Minmax had say, four arms, or a pair of wings sprouting from his back. He'd at the very least need to modify it in order to accommodate his needs, which is something Big-ears just can't do with a solid metal helmet.

I severely doubt that his armor would conveniently fit the tall blue Minmax or the Nianderthal Minmax.
    Armor, especially any sort of plate armor, doesn't work like that. It needs to be specially fitted to the wearer in order to not be excessively encumbering and immobilizing. While there is a small degree of flexibility, there isn't any way to design plate to fit a "general human".

22. - Top - End - #682
    Titan in the Playground

So you'll believe armor that can shape-shift to conveniently fit whoever puts it on, but can't believe armor that's just designed to fit a general body shape?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #683
    Colossus in the Playground

We have also had them NOT fit properly before this. Its been pretty openly hit or miss on what items will resize to fit people. If this was the first time a magic item didnt fit somebody you would have a legit reason to complain about how contrived it is. It still IS contrived, (really everything is of course) but its at least working with established rules of the setting.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

24. - Top - End - #684
    Firbolg in the Playground

I was rereading a bit, and I noticed some callbacks/foreshadowing/trivia.

Using the anymug for damage: http://goblinscomic.com/comic/04242006

How were you people not wiped out: http://goblinscomic.com/comic/12222006 and http://goblinscomic.com/comic/04032017-2

Ears blindly throwing himself into the fires of hell, as he later says he wants to literally do: http://goblinscomic.com/comic/01122007

Thaco's mysterious time away from the clan (he also didn't want to talk to Names about his mother) http://goblinscomic.com/comic/07142006

Ears is gay, but he has his standards: http://goblinscomic.com/comic/08052006

Listen Chief, if a madman were torturing you to death, would you want us to try and save you? http://goblinscomic.com/comic/04162007
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

25. - Top - End - #685

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Typewriter View Post
    Just imagine how cool and moving of a moment this would be for the comic and character if it wasn't already considered par for the course going into it. Like, if Roy had to permanently maim himself in OoTs to save the day it would be huge. Instead we just sort of expect people to maim themselves to be able to wear a hat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    One of features of Goblins since the beginning is that every battle changes the artwork a little. Every battles matters and has an impact on the characters.

The downside to this is that every battle changes the artwork and has an impact on the characters.

And when each battle has the potential to horribly mutilate a character, it's just not as shocking after several mutilations.
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.

26. - Top - End - #686
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaln View Post
    Elli herself said on twitter that not all magic items resize. While she doesn't directly say the helmet doesn't resize, it is heavily implied from context.
    Oh, I missed that, thanks!

27. - Top - End - #687
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I was rereading a bit, and I noticed some callbacks/foreshadowing/trivia.

Ears is gay, but he has his standards: http://goblinscomic.com/comic/08052006
    And a few pages later (that guy takes his time getting dressed), can objects be evil? (and detected as such):
    http://goblinscomic.com/comic/08122006
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-10-18 at 12:09 AM.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by archon_huskie View Post
    And when each battle has the potential to horribly mutilate a character, it's just not as shocking after several mutilations.
    Reminds me of what a friend told me about Lord of the rings RPG. After awhile, everyone ends up looking less like Fellowship of the rings, and more like a Band of Peg Leg pirates.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    He couldn't fit the helmet over his ears, so he had to cut them off.
    OH! Okay. Now I get it. Thanks.
    "...Look, it's a simple job. Just go down to the docks, book passage on the good ship Harm's Way, set sail for the Isles of Immaculate Doom, pick up the Orb of Despair which is already waiting for you, and bring it back to deliver to that crazy old coot who lives in that creepy old tower in the Swamp of a Thousand Screams. What could possibly go wrong?"

30. - Top - End - #690

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Nobody makes items to misplace them in random dungeons and think of who might stumble across them a few centuries later. Even moreso, noone would go to additional efforts to accomodate those random strangers. The only possible reason for resizing equipment would be inteligent creatures with significant transformation abilities. How many species do we have that fit the bill? Could they be responsible for vast majority of magic item production?
    Magic armors are presumably big projects, preparing for it to be passed down a royal family line or a line of champions makes perfect sense if they are made to last a long time. The question is more how hard that is to do, if it was easy there is little reason not to add it. (also you don't need to spend time fitting it to the first wearer and can just size it any way you want.) But shape changing items doesn't sound like trivial magic so it is a setting decision whether adding it is reasonable or a great challenge or insane.