New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Goblins XVII: The shocking end of the story arc

She didn't have a huge amount of choice, plus it is unclear she knew about that little hole it poked through. We saw it, did she?

Nothing much to say about this strip, except with a strip that updates this infrequently, we didn't really need a whole page of building suspense.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    She didn't have a huge amount of choice, plus it is unclear she knew about that little hole it poked through. We saw it, did she?

Nothing much to say about this strip, except with a strip that updates this infrequently, we didn't really need a whole page of building suspense.
    There was a beam of light coming through it. In a dark hole, I would be surprised if she managed to miss that.

Beyond that though, she had no idea how deep the hole went, and crawling tends to be slower than running, as a rule, so im still not sure how this looks more attractive than just continuing to run.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post

I would assume she did see the ray of light at least, but that doesn't mean she thought the klik would know to reach her through it (how did it know it would connect back to her?)

I understand what you mean about the pacing, but the vast majority of readers won't read any specific page of a webcomic on the day it was posted, so the way pacing works as a whole should take priority. I think Thunt was right to build the suspense, it really sets the scene better.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

So two of my friends got engaged yesterday, and he based the proposal on a combination of Goblins and Legend of Zelda (which they both love). This was the cake they had made, and apparently Thunt was just as excited as they were to hear about it!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Nice! Congratulations to them!

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

new comic is up!

Looks like Forgath is gunna go all in!
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I wonder if there will be a "but what kind of rock?" moment. Foreshadowed by previous dialogue about Forgath's stone sense.

It might also have been worth showing a panel with the elf looking surprised.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    If its negative is stone, why would it reach a tentacle into a hole completely surrounded by stone? I don't think Idle has the right idea here.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    If its negative is stone, why would it reach a tentacle into a hole completely surrounded by stone? I don't think Idle has the right idea here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well it's warped and just got blown to hell. might not be thinking straight right now.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Now this is a freaking helmet!

11. - Top - End - #71

New page.

Spoiler
    Show
    not a very epic fight!
    Also, Bowst still isn't back?!
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

12. - Top - End - #72
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    New page.

Spoiler
    Show
    not a very epic fight!
    Also, Bowst still isn't back?!
    Too be fair
    Spoiler
    Show
    the klik was on its last legs after that suicide spell idle used on it. I still dont get why they didnt keep hitting it/throwing badgers at it and instead ran away from the monster when its like the terminator at the end of the first film and just a one armed torso dragging itself along.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler: not sure if still should spoiler for new comic or not
    Show

I'm pleasantly surprised that it seem Idle is alive and will stay alive. With how dark the comic can be at times, I was worried it'd be just Forgoth as the surviving humanoid.

Also, I'm curious about Browst. When I first heard the "klik" a few comics ago about the suicide-spell, I thought it was one of the kliks commenting on how Browst was dead. I wonder if he survived being thrown through those trees. (Such makes sense as fatal in many cases, but in a D&D-based comic it could just be decent damage.)

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Too be fair
    Spoiler
    Show
    the klik was on its last legs after that suicide spell idle used on it. I still dont get why they didnt keep hitting it/throwing badgers at it and instead ran away from the monster when its like the terminator at the end of the first film and just a one armed torso dragging itself along.
    It's called fear, the thing you're trying to destroy is still moving after so much punishment and your brain just goes "fighting is not working, time for flight" out of basic survival instinct. Sure if one paused to think about calmly they may understand they're in their last HPs and just need a few more hits to go down, but in the heat of a fight to the death you won't be exactly able to think properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

15. - Top - End - #75

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    It's called fear, the thing you're trying to destroy is still moving after so much punishment and your brain just goes "fighting is not working, time for flight" out of basic survival instinct. Sure if one paused to think about calmly they may understand they're in their last HPs and just need a few more hits to go down, but in the heat of a fight to the death you won't be exactly able to think properly.
    And if they had been fighting final fantasy style, where the only change in an enemy with 1% life versus full is its hp bar I would agree. This thing was broken, burned, staggering around. To add to my earlier comparison, the one armed terminator torso... and sarah still has a half dozen sticks of dynamite. Running away made no sense at all. Especially in an experienced fighter like forgath.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    And if they had been fighting final fantasy style, where the only change in an enemy with 1% life versus full is its hp bar I would agree. This thing was broken, burned, staggering around. To add to my earlier comparison, the one armed terminator torso... and sarah still has a half dozen sticks of dynamite. Running away made no sense at all. Especially in an experienced fighter like forgath.
    Goblins still working by D&D rules combat-wise, anything above 0 means you're still fully able to fight at full power, while "broken, burned, staggering around" are just fancy descriptions to show it's low on HP, Minmax himself got plenty of nasty wounds plus a lost eye and that didn't ever cost him any combat ability (the author himself confirmed that, otherwise Minmax would be always complaining for any reduced stats).

And precisely because Forgath's an experienced fighter cleric he knows that, in particular when the DM loves to throw extra-nasty monsters like that nightmarish thing found in the Dies Horribly arc that made you start melting just with the lightest touch, then that uber lizardfolk that even half-molten was still a combat machine to his last breath.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

new page is up

Spoiler
    Show
    Hmmm....
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show
    So is this a way to bring Klik back to life? The only other time this comic brought a character back to life it was near instantly after he was killed.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe its just birthing a 'new' Klik out of the remains of the old one.

Also, who is the Salt Klik and when did he show up?
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2019-01-01 at 01:07 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe its just birthing a 'new' Klik out of the remains of the old one.

Also, who is the Salt Klik and when did he show up?
    Spoiler
    Show
    She was the Klik that was eating Forgath's armor. The name came from Forgath asking what she wanted.

also might be a Klok considering the arm.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I don't know about you guys, but I don't feel very shocked yet.

Also, Fogarth got cut. Now taking bets on whether it gets played straight or if the talking klik was lying the whole time just to be a jerk.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

22. - Top - End - #82
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Is a cut to the parts of him that are physically dwarven guaranteed to infect the Klik parts of him?

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

don't think so. think it's onbly the klik parts. Some people have said they see scratches on the klik parts though.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

new comic up

Spoiler
    Show

i was wrong.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85

Hmmmm
    Spoiler
    Show
    Are we about to see some solid template stacking here? Like now he is a dwarven klik with a mix of abilities of both races.

26. - Top - End - #86

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but I don't feel very shocked yet.

Also, Fogarth got cut. Now taking bets on whether it gets played straight or if the talking klik was lying the whole time just to be a jerk.
    I'm not going to lie, I am actually a bit shocked by the recent comic.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    Yes. The shock has arrived.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    I'm not; that this infection was likely to happen was heavily foreshadowed. Also, ever since we learned that Forgath could be infected, it finally made sense how Kin could be the serpent that becomes Forgath's prey, as per the prophecy. If Forgath turns into a monster that will kill indiscriminately on sight, all he has to do is come across Kin to attack her. Going by the rest of the prophecy, both Minmax and Kore will be there too, and Kore will be the one dealing the killing blow to Forgath.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Well that's all fine and all, but I'm genuinely surprised that the comic is moving forward with tying up all the prophesized stuff. Honestly I thought we were going to have an El Goonish Shive situation where the author set up primary plot arcs, but then decided he wanted a punctuated equilibrium comic with no set end date and just kind of forgot to start tying up ends.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Goblins never felt like it didn't have a direction it was going. It made some long detours, but the journey itself never felt pointless.

EGS on the other hand was always meandering, but occasionally gets distracted by a big road sign that's 90% of the time more interesting than the norm.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.