New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Goblins XVII: The shocking end of the story arc

A major problem with the webcomic medium, as opposed to the traditional publisher-author system, is that all authors need editors. Some more than most. And Thunt more than most of those.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

But some seem to still do a great job without needing an editor.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by satorian View Post
    A major problem with the webcomic medium, as opposed to the traditional publisher-author system, is that all authors need editors. Some more than most. And Thunt more than most of those.
    Problem older then the internet.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Bugbear in the Playground

New page and back to Goblins!
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

5. - Top - End - #215
    Firbolg in the Playground

I wonder if there will be some sight of the world as it's exploding. You know, villages, farms, Brassmoon City... Forgath and the Gap both had to fight various hellish creatures, but there are lots of places that are civilian-populated and probably won't have enough adventurers around to save them, and it would make sense that that's the current major focus/tragedy.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

6. - Top - End - #216
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I wonder if there will be some sight of the world as it's exploding. You know, villages, farms, Brassmoon City... Forgath and the Gap both had to fight various hellish creatures, but there are lots of places that are civilian-populated and probably won't have enough adventurers around to save them, and it would make sense that that's the current major focus/tragedy.
    That would be interesting. Though something else, the corruption around the edges of the panel has shrunk down to barely there. I wonder if that means something. Like, the further they go, the further from the source they are. The invasion hasnt started yet, its barely starting to leak hell juices outside of the original site.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

possible. might be more likely that they just aren't worth the effort to draw all the time anymore since they're not the main focus :P
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #218

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    possible. might be more likely that they just aren't worth the effort to draw all the time anymore since they're not the main focus :P
    I suppose, but considering we are back to the story where heading off to hell is the actual goal to deal with this very problem, it seems like it might be important. Maybe its something that comes in waves. Like first a single flea demon came out, then a swarm, what next? Every time this horrible monster demon god thing pushes against the cracking barrier another surge of corruption comes through, stronger than the last. Eventually he will break through.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I suppose, but considering we are back to the story where heading off to hell is the actual goal to deal with this very problem, it seems like it might be important. Maybe its something that comes in waves. Like first a single flea demon came out, then a swarm, what next? Every time this horrible monster demon god thing pushes against the cracking barrier another surge of corruption comes through, stronger than the last. Eventually he will break through.
    Honestly, I think he probably just toned it down because it was visually distracting. Past a certain point, we need to actually be able to see the comic, and once the scene stopped being about all that pus dripping down everywhere, that sort of got in the way of that.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Indeed.

Spoiler
    Show
    I suspect everyone will survive, but I wonder if we're going to have an ongoing situation of a split-up party even more than we already have (with jumping back between this group, team Forgath, and Kin).

That said, anyone else miss Dies Horribly and his cast of companions/opponents?

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Indeed.

Spoiler
    Show
    I suspect everyone will survive, but I wonder if we're going to have an ongoing situation of a split-up party even more than we already have (with jumping back between this group, team Forgath, and Kin).

Not really. He was always something of a joke character to me and that makes it hard for me to be interested when he's actually in the spotlight. On top of that, the kind of interesting parts of the premise of the whole comic (monsters being adventurers) is mostly absent with him.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

13. - Top - End - #223
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

He's sort of the Rincewind of the goblins, but without Pratchett's humor backing him up.

14. - Top - End - #224

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Not really. He was always something of a joke character to me and that makes it hard for me to be interested when he's actually in the spotlight. On top of that, the kind of interesting parts of the premise of the whole comic (monsters being adventurers) is mostly absent with him.
    Bah, im sure if we go back to them they will tie into the main story soon enough.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Barbarian in the Playground

That's interesting; I consider Dies Horribly's story far more interesting than both Minmax and the GAP. It mostly ditches all of the game logic and player character nonsense in favor of a more consistent story and deeper characters. Both Junior and especially Duv are far more interesting antagonists than Kore.
    In addition, that part of the comic was actually centered on goblins. The GAP, on the other hand, ever since they left Brassmoon city, have been no more than one-dimensional side characters in Minmax' story about how he got to understand monsters are people too. It doesn't help that I loath the 'wacky' type of character/humor that both Minmax and Fumbles represent, and together they are multiple levels of worse than each of them individually.
    Of course most of my gripes with the current story are from after Dies showed up last, so I suspect the general decline in the comic's quality would also affect his story if he showed up again.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

16. - Top - End - #226

On one hand, Dies is now Chief, so he probably be back.

On the other, I feel that Dies' story would have had a satisfying ending anyway, even if he never came back in focus.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

dies is not cheif. the ritual duv had her teller perform on him was to determine wether or not he HAD a cheif. the plan was to have her teller make him cheif after that to secure an alliance with his tribe, but the whole biscut/junior attack thing happened before that, and Dies wasn't willing to go through with anyways.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

I recently reread that part of the story and remembered how much I hate the entire Viper Clan and Saves a Fox, so no. K'lizardguy was the best character in the whole comic, though.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

So... Kore also just fell down a "bottomless" pit. Anyone think the GAP and Kore will have a reunion soon?
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Huh, I think this is the first time we've seen Fumbles with his mustache off in a long time.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Huh, I think this is the first time we've seen Fumbles with his mustache off in a long time.
    In story, it hasn't been that long, he didn't wear it for much of the time after the pearl exploded. Of course in real time that has been more than two years ago, so it seems a long time.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Wow. Thunt really out-did himself with the dialog on this one, didn't he. So much verbal jousting and witty reparte with meanings on so many different levels. Pretty amazing!
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

24. - Top - End - #234

I see comics as a visual medium. The less dialogue is needed, the better.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I see comics as a visual medium. The less dialogue is needed, the better.
    Yeah, so long as something happens. I don't think anything happened either.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

This was definitely an 'establishing shot'-style strip, rather than a move-the-narrative strip.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

This was definitely an 'establishing shot'-style strip, rather than a move-the-narrative strip.
    Yeah. The goblins aren't the only dungeon delver to plummet to the depths recently...

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

New comic: And we establish the next room.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

..you don't know if the statue is a trap? OF COURSE IT'S A TRAP. Everything in every dungeon in this world is a trap. You should know this by now. The question is what kind of trap. Is it going to animate and try to kill you directly? Project an illusion to keep you in that room forever slowly starving to death while convinced you've made it to the end room and escaped with treasure? Mind control you into sacrificing your teammates in the name of your new idol? Who knows! Could be anything!

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..you don't know if the statue is a trap? OF COURSE IT'S A TRAP. Everything in every dungeon in this world is a trap. You should know this by now. The question is what kind of trap.
    Spoiler: The statue
    Show
    Looks like a helmet there with a rectangle in the same place as the statue, so I'm guessing a waldo. There has to be drawbacks, so you can't move your own body while moving the statue/golem or you're stuck in it until someone else puts on the helmet?