New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Goblins XVII: The shocking end of the story arc

Quote Originally Posted by BannedInSchool View Post
    Spoiler: The statue
    Show
    Looks like a helmet there with a rectangle in the same place as the statue, so I'm guessing a waldo. There has to be drawbacks, so you can't move your own body while moving the statue/golem or you're stuck in it until someone else puts on the helmet?
    Spoiler
    Show

But couldn't someone just pick you up to move you?
    Golem looks strong enough to carry yourself.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

* my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Every now and again I forget that this isn't a sci-fi comic.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground

Sci-fi and Fantasy are basically the same concept with different aesthetics anyway.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

5. - Top - End - #245

AssassinGuy

that should take care of Kore
    again
    unless they totally f**k it up
    which they most certainly will
    * my emphasis

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    Sci-fi and Fantasy are basically the same concept with different aesthetics anyway.
    I once saw a sci-fi writer explain how it is a quite different concept: "Change one thing, then work from there what happens". Like "people figure out a way to teleport by themselves" or "there's this new invention that does one thing we thought impossible" or "moon/mars colony" or even just "new power source", then all the other laws of science still work exactly the same and you write the story around that changed thing, how it affects people and society.

Fantasy is changing lots of things. So if you have FTL ships and true AIs and pseudo psionics and aliens thrown at the same time, yeah it's fantasy at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Agi Hammerthief View Post
    that should take care of Kore
    again
    unless they totally f**k it up
    which they most certainly will
    The golem thingy may also have some horrible drawback, a good chunk of the magic items in Goblinsverse have.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-05-28 at 07:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

7. - Top - End - #247

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    The golem thingy may also have some horrible drawback, a good chunk of the magic items in Goblinsverse have.
    that thing is it’s own drawback.

reminds me of „Interesting Times“ by Sir Terry.
    and at least Rincewind had a glove with extra controls.
    * my emphasis

8. - Top - End - #248
    Firbolg in the Playground

So, what happens if the others pick up Vorpal and carry him around? And the statue has longer legs, does it mean that it will outrun him if they go in the same direction?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Nevermind keeping pace, simply turning around a corner or climbing stairs may get messy too.
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

10. - Top - End - #250

This is like when I tried playing Metal Slug alone using both players...
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

Although since Fumbles is experiencing everything through the golem the problem is where his meat-body goes.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Barbarian in the Playground

My guess is. he'll put the levitation potion on the helmet. Then he will float so the golem will push him along as he is making walking motions in the air.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #254

I like this page. It lets the personality of the characters shine through while giving info and furthering the plot. I also like the visuals, and it isn't sad.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, good page.

So the question now is, are 12 rounds worth of Golem control enough to beat Kore? Notice he seems to have lost most of his cheesy armor, the tower shield and down to ony 1 axe, no uber repeating crossbows either. So really seems like Kore will finaly meet his end at this dungeon.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Yeah, good page.

So the question now is, are 12 rounds worth of Golem control enough to beat Kore? Notice he seems to have lost most of his cheesy armor, the tower shield and down to ony 1 axe, no uber repeating crossbows either. So really seems like Kore will finaly meet his end at this dungeon.
    I doubt it will be that straightforward. If nothing else, I suspect were going to get some drama with the broken Axe, and maybe some exposition.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I doubt it will be that straightforward. If nothing else, I suspect were going to get some drama with the broken Axe, and maybe some exposition.
    Oh you're completely right, had completely forgot about the artifact axe.

So Kore looks like he's in his last ropes when he suddenly manages to grab the axe and gets himself a fancy new armor, plus a revelation. There may even be some hope for a "oh gods what have I done/become" redemption, or maybe he just goes (even more) full berseker.

There was also a demonic invasion going on right? And they needed to dive right into hell to stop it? Kore may be just the one to do it.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

There was also a demonic invasion going on right? And they needed to dive right into hell to stop it? Kore may be just the one to do it.
    IIRC, the whole thing with the Axe was that it was an anchor that ensured The Big Bad had food when it finally materialized.

So they needed to dive into hell to destroy the axe without giving the Big Bad a path to the Prime.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    IIRC, the whole thing with the Axe was that it was an anchor that ensured The Big Bad had food when it finally materialized.

So they needed to dive into hell to destroy the axe without giving the Big Bad a path to the Prime.
    Not just that, they have to get far enough into hell that he wont be able to tear his way back out. Like, they cant just open a portal to the front door of hell and toss in the axe, its close enough dimensionally speaking for him to walk right back out. They gotta go DEEP into the abyss to break the connection. But yeah, Im wondering how kore is doing now. Dude was in a tough fight for his life, and it doesnt look like he has recovered much since then. He may be low on spells, his armor is shot, his weapons are shot. All he has now is the level advantage and thats not as much as it once was. He isnt fighting a bunch of level 1 goblin npcs. He is fighting a party of class level having, magic gear owning, adventurers that are at least level 4 I think. Forgath alone with some solid twink gear very nearly slaughtered him. Yes it was very carefully maximized for that encounter but even so.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    that are at least level 4 I think.
    BE hit level 5 a short time ago.

Flea demon
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

21. - Top - End - #261

Wow, an item that works for a total of 24 seconds and doesn't even do something especially useful in that time. Wizards in the Goblinverse clearly use Intelligence as a dump stat...
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

To be fair, it might have been that that's the longest that they could make it work without, like, burning up the user's soul or something. Not that that's something that might happen with this universe's magic items.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaln View Post
    Wow, an item that works for a total of 24 seconds and doesn't even do something especially useful in that time. Wizards in the Goblinverse clearly use Intelligence as a dump stat...
    There's probably a puzzle and/or lethal trap in this room or the immediate next that you're intended to use it to solve; it's not a general-purpose magic item or minion. Definitely wouldn't be the first time they've come across something where somebody apparently expended an insane amount of time and magical power setting up an ultimately pretty pointless puzzle room just to satisfy THunt's thing about dungeons being full of weird crap.

24. - Top - End - #264

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    There's probably a puzzle and/or lethal trap in this room or the immediate next that you're intended to use it to solve; it's not a general-purpose magic item or minion. Definitely wouldn't be the first time they've come across something where somebody apparently expended an insane amount of time and magical power setting up an ultimately pretty pointless puzzle room just to satisfy THunt's thing about dungeons being full of weird crap.
    Yeah I bet its something silly like "Walk into next room, extend arms, block wall crush trap." And now that they are wasting their rounds doing a dance party, and soon probably fighting kore, they will have to do something else to get past the trap.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

smile Re: Goblins XVII: The shocking end of the story arc

THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

26. - Top - End - #266

Llllllllets get ready to rumbllllllllllllle!!!!!

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Reminder that spot is not a paladin class skill.

And goblins get some +5 to hide (size and racial dex bonus) just for existing so even the angry barbarian goblin has some nice stealth.

Speaking of which wonder if rage can buff the golem too.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ettin in the Playground

If he gets a surprise round he can probably just. Grapple, and if he can hold onto him for 4 rounds, the statue will go still and then everyone can just pile on him and stab him to (presumable) death.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2019-06-11 at 10:19 AM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

29. - Top - End - #269

Reminder that spot is not a paladin class skill.

And goblins get some +5 to hide (size and racial dex bonus) just for existing so even the angry barbarian goblin has some nice stealth.

Speaking of which wonder if rage can buff the golem too.
    Problem is, he has to mirror the golem's moves, so he can't just stay in hiding. Kore is likely smart enough to realize the goblin with the strange helmet is the one controlling the golem as soon as he steps out of hiding. And it's going to be much harder to dodge blows aimed at yourself if you see them from a different vantage point.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaln View Post
    Problem is, he has to mirror the golem's moves, so he can't just stay in hiding. Kore is likely smart enough to realize the goblin with the strange helmet is the one controlling the golem as soon as he steps out of hiding. And it's going to be much harder to dodge blows aimed at yourself if you see them from a different vantage point.
    And that's why goblins love strength in numbers. I bet the other goblins are sneaking nearby ready to provide distractions to keep Kore from getting the strange helmet (or at least they should and they've been doing nice teamwork since strip 1).

Plus of course not very wise to turn your back to the big dangerous golem.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-06-11 at 10:51 AM.